The Irvine Company Employee Reviews in United States

Great at the Top
Security Professional (Contracted) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 1, 2015
I spent quite some time on the Irvine Company building security team before I transitioned accounts to an Abbot Vascular team, and I can't say either rewarded me much. Both jobs were inconsistent, with protocols varying widely. This was especially taxing for the people on the maintenance and security teams because we ended up doing so much of the hands-on work for the managers. At Abbot, the job had the added disadvantage of having supervisors and shift leads who dodged accountability like I've never seen before.

I can't say much about the management at Abbot, but the few times the top boss would address us were never personal, and he came across uncaring and disengaged. Our security managers themselves were openly hostile to me, and to others in front of me several times. At Irvine, the manager at the final site I worked at (I moved around to many different sites for them) was quite unprofessional, nonsensically demanding, and exported every task she could to us. That also meant our team supervisors at Irvine were stressed, but they were, at least, fair. I did make many friends at both accounts, often because it was so bad for us, but nothing came of those relationships that made up for how we were treated.

The compensation and benefits were almost non-existent at both places, made worse when we were told, casually, that the companies at each site paid $25 an hour for us, when we made $11 at Irvine and $12 at Abbot. Both company's facilities were clean and well-appointed, but we were officially not supposed to use them. Our actual break room and all our offices were,
  more... literally, converted closets.

The job culture did not even compensate. The Irvine bosses were committed to selling, but were essentially ruthless in getting there, so we were very often stepped on. Abbot bosses actually told us to keep away from occupied spaces while work was going on. I've never seen morale so low at a workplace like Abbot: people were routinely dumped for minor things because the top boss would decide he didn't like this or that about you. The security bosses never stuck up for anyone. Irvine definitely had better moral and lower-level chiefs, but they would get changed out all the time because of managerial issues with them. I can't say we were the best crew, we definitely weren't, but for those of us that actually wanted to do a good job, both job sites were just frustrating.

If I had no choice, I would go back to either on the sheer reason that I had done it before and would need a job, but I would never choose to go back. I recommend people stay away.
Awful organization
Intern (Former Employee) –  Accounting and Finance DepartmentNovember 12, 2015
I was an intern in the accounting and finance department within their homebuilding division while I was in an MS Accounting program and preparing for the CPA Exam. I showed up on time and busted my hump everyday and was treated terribly. It was supposed to be a 6 month internship but only lasted 3 months when I was terminated supposedly due to "substandard work." During my undergrad I had successful internships at LADWP and Boeing and I had more education than Senior Accountants I worked with at Irvine Company. The Senior Accountants told me that they needed at least a year to get situated in their roles. Who fires interns? I saw firsthand why the organization is so disliked in the community. I am now a California licensed CPA unlike the two Senior Accountants I worked with there. The state board of accountancy deems me qualified to be an accountant, but apparently that's not sufficient for Irvine Company.
Pros
Cons
treated terribly
Happy environment
Maintenance Technician I (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 12, 2015
everyday was a wonderful experience, the people i worked with and the residents at the building were very kind and polite.
Pros
all our tools were purchased for us
Cons
traffic to and from
Great learning environment
Outside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 11, 2015
Great place to start your career. Compensation could be better. Very formal company. Great learning environment. Great opportunity to move from property to property.
Great place
Tennis Instructor (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CASeptember 24, 2015
A typical day at work involved group drills as well as individual support. The most enjoyable part of the job was instructing students who were willing to learn and willing to put in effort.
Great experience
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 16, 2015
The experience as an individual straight out of college was remarkable. The training provided is reasonable and always evolving. They truly care about each employee and are beginning to evolve the culture into a more modern workplace rather than the traditional mold, they are commonly known for.
Great Company
LEASING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 31, 2015
Great company to work for! Much room for advancement. This company is growing rapidly in northern California with many lease-ups!
receptionist
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  newport coast, caAugust 26, 2015
provide high quality 5 star service at all times. Opportunity for growth but now within the field I would like to get into.
I had 24 years of job security until they eliminated the position to save money.
Resident Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 26, 2015
My typical day would consist of helping residents when needed including minor maintenance repairs and mediated within neighbors who might have complaints with each other. I made sure the property was aesthetically pleasing and all areas were safe such as the pools and fitness center.
I learned how to deal with difficult people. I learned how to maintain and fix areas of the apartments and surroundings.
My coworkers were great. The management was difficult because it was a sales based environment and there wasn't a lot of integrity with the residents.
The hardest part of the job was when neighbors would have complaints about each other. Trying to find a resolution to make a happier living environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that residents loved having me there for them and watching the families grow with their children. I am very good with kids and felt part of the rearing of them.
Pros
Family environment. Helping residents especially the elderly and handicapped.
Cons
Lack of integrity, respect, and attitudes among the employees and residents.
Senior Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  IrvineAugust 20, 2015
Be prepared to fit into their culture. It is a private company with a entitled attitude. They care more about how you fit in compared to actual performance. Make sure you fit in and get along with all walks of life.
great company with diversity in functions
Resident Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Tustin, IrvineAugust 12, 2015
We take care of a range of services for the residents, since the moment they move in, to a business center at the leasing office. Receiving packages for delivery, assisting in the scheduling of maintenance requests. etc Always with the highest level of customer service.
Culture in continuous progress
Sr. Manager, Leasing (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 29, 2015
The leadership team continues to build and redefine their culture. It is a work in progress, but moving in the right direction. The communication and collaboration needs to improve to eliminate old leadership habits. Their current leadership structure will help them to get to the goals they desire.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
N/A
Love where you work
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 17, 2015
I have learned so much from our team and work culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is know that the company values its employee's personal life, ideas, and hard work.
High Stress and High Volume Work Environments
Assistant Manager, Engineering (Current Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 10, 2015
We manager over 10 active projects or villages and manage at one time over 40 projects. We depend on consultant engineers, architects and other consultants. We bid, and contract with contractors for the infrastructure and homebuilding of the Villages of Irvine including Orchard Hills, Portola Springs, Stonegate, Cypress Village and Eastwood.
Pros
Good Compensation but high expectations
Cons
Very independent work and little training
Fair
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAMay 20, 2015
Heavy-busy-work. Managers do not support sales teams. Great product, but too many layers of Managers. Good place to start a career out of college. They do not recognize anyone with previous careers. You will be lumped in with the non-degree and public sector type mentality.
Director of Fitness (Former Employee) –  CAMay 7, 2015
Great working environment and very professional. One of the cons is the turnover and change in management. Otherwise great place to work
Pros
Environment and benefits
Cons
Turnover
Good job for okay money and environment
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 26, 2015
The Irvine Company is a great place to learn professionalism and gain experience in a vast and growing company. The tough part is moving up positions within the company and switching internally to an entirely different part of the company is almost impossible.
Pros
good experience, commission and salary structure
Cons
low commission compensation, job advancement, holidays/ weekends
Not looking so hot right now
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 19, 2015
This company is going through so many changes right now. It seems like every 3 months it is a major change in upper management, so you never know what is happening. They have cut many peoples jobs, given people who have been with the company for 20+ years demotions, or just out right let them go. They no longer give employees discounts on housing, and the ones who have the discount, they raised t
their rent $200+. The environment is stressful because you have no clue what is coming next.
Great Opportunities, Corporate Culture
Leadership & Training • Customer Service • Sales (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 13, 2015
The work environment and setting in my office is unparalleled. The brand new CRC or Customer Resource Center is first rate with brand new technology and a fun modern environment. It is a very fast paced change management environment in a prominent Real Estate Company in the region. My division is currently in a very strong growth mode. My coworkers are amazing and the management is supportive. Most importantly, the executive leadership is top notch and honestly titans of the industry.
New World Order
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 12, 2015
When the President leaves and he was the only one to have the entry-level to upper-management level employee's backs, you are in for a wild ride.
Pros
association with "prestigious" company
Cons
anything you enjoy can be removed at a moment's notice