The J. M. Smucker Company

The J. M. Smucker Company Employee Reviews

Nice place to work that always makes sure they're compliant in all areas of their business.
Payroll and Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 14, 2015
I had fun at work and enjoyed helping people get their questions answered and problems handled. I kept office supplies stocked in our mailroom, I helped people with creating presentations, I enrolled new employees in health plans, dental, vision and 401k. I did new hire training and have searched for candidates as well. I'm proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook. I love helping people and helping them to solve their problems.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Can't think of any
Long hours and always on call for any problem that needs to be address.
Food Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington,kyOctober 21, 2015
Compensation was good for the time you spend at work. A very demanding job due to the amount of production for the product. Always in a fire fighting mode and problem solver for all the issues that was occurring. Good floor presence from the shop floor. Team work was the culture of the floor. The technicians on the floor work through a high performance work system.
Pros
Compensation was good
Cons
Long hours and always on call
Company lacks ethics
Inventory Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHDecember 1, 2015
This company is run by several well meaning family members, but have grown so large they have people in management with no morals or ethics. They have questionable practices that will jeopardize the future of this company if left unchecked.
Pros
Free coffee, nice compensation.
Cons
Healthcare is subpar, poor work culture.
Unbelievable
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHJuly 3, 2016
Smuckers thrives on their "Basic Beliefs": Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence. What a joke. I worked in the corporate office and I have never worked with so many back stabbing snobby people in my 25+ years.

They have changed the work atmosphere from cubes to an open space floor plan, so if you need to concentrate or get anything done for the matter - forget it. The noise and caring on among other co-workers is ridiculous.

Management is a joke. 90% of them are clueless and I am clueless on how they even got where they are to begin with. Changes are made constantly and projects are never done in a timely matter. If you have an opinion...keep it to yourself, they never will listen. There are way to many "cooks in the kitchen" on every single project, I have never seen such unorganized chaos in my life. McDonald's at lunch rush hour has their "stuff" together more than they ever will.
Pros
Job Work/Life Balance.
Cons
The people.
Used to be a great place to work. Not anymore
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYSeptember 23, 2016
Smuckers used to be a great company to work for things have changed the last three years, management changed with the hire of a bunch of college educated idiots. they made things worse for the older employees with experience who know how and what wouldn't work and what would from years of employment there.
Pros
Pay decent and benifits 401 k and company matching.
Cons
Stupid bosses and team leaders on nights.
Clean organized and fast working paist job
Warehouse Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oxnard, CAJune 22, 2016
my review would be great place to work I thing I liked about the job was it was something that I never thought I would handle cause it was 8 hour shift but I would be standing all day and I enjoyed it. I like the challenge to know what are my weekness or my strenghs to. so I really enjoy different job positions.
Pros
great lunch breaks, friendly supervisors
Cons
it was loud in the warehouse and alot of gossip and alot of picking on the new co workers.
Good work enviroment
Technician (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 7, 2015
Enjoyed the job, also, the Union is good. Good pay and great Health benefits. Busy work and a great place to grow. The older workers are good at helping you with learning.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Short breaks
Nice coworkers,mimium drama
Production Technician / Pump Room Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KY 42164September 28, 2016
pros:job allowed me to move around a lot. I enjoyed the residents.
Cons always short staffed, some days I"d work 12 hour shifts,no team work,lazy co-workers and its a outdated facility.
Pros
residents
Cons
pay, environment, short staffed
Not your family company anymore!
Crisco Oils Production Planner (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 3, 2016
The company has gotten too big too fast. The company is promoting individuals to management positions without the skills needed to perform the duties.
Pros
Christmas Bonus and 11 Holidays
Cons
Healthcare costs have increased, Promoting people that lack the skills
Productive and good place to work
Production lead / Quality Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 11, 2016
I've learned many thing with smuckers and have had many opportunity's to broaden my knowledge for example packing, Machine operator, to supervisor. Management can work on taking care of the small people better, co workers are great. company over all isnt a bad company to work for.
Pros
Smucker discounts
Cons
Not to much room to grow with company
Great Environment Great Management
Facility Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 9, 2016
Awesome place to work at. Challenging and great environment to learn and grow with a great company that cares for their employees.
Pros
Benefits, 401K, Advancement and supportive caring management.
Quality foods sales organization
Programmer Analyst - EDI (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OH 44667June 29, 2016
Short term project helping out on their EDI application. Very productive interactions with the customers getting setup.
Pros
Systems were always available.
Cons
Confusing ERP setups.
Great job to pay for college
College Help (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHSeptember 6, 2016
A typical work day would be running machines and ensuring quality product is being manufactured. Very laid back and friendly environment to work in.
Great Personality, rewards and recognition
Plant Technician (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 11, 2015
Good Workplace and nice coworkers. Beautiful campus and state of the art facility. Rewards and recognition is more often than expected. This company offers extraordinary benefits.
Pros
No micromanaging
Cons
Communication
I loved my job! Great people, good benefits and all around good place.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYJanuary 21, 2014
My computer for some reason would not shade in five stars for overall rating, but that's what I would give it. Numerous ways to advance. Functional Leadership, ( I was Education and Training Leader). Equipment Expert, System Ownership was just some of the areas for advancement. Constantly learning. 100% employee involvement. Good place. Worked 12 hr shifts. Management interacted with employees on the floor. New everyone by name,.
Pros
can advance quick there, excellant pay and benefits.
Cons
temperatures can go from one extreme to another in each department.
never knew where you were going to be working when you went in
Production Technition (Former Employee) –  ScottscilleMay 3, 2016
Never know where you were going to be when you went into work, people were not friendly at all in this place. It was kept very cool in there.
Pros
Cons
unfriendly atmosphere
Good company.
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seneca, MOApril 28, 2015
Good company, with good family background and good pay. Advancement requires relocation. Great team to work with. Company is growing fast and there are some opportunities and job security.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours, advancement requires relocation
they really kept you on your toes, (a good thing) and very challenging
cook, hassia operator, packer operator (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHAugust 30, 2015
- go to work and do the job that your assigned to do that day, (not every day was the same job) and do it safely and professionally

- I learned to cook, run the hassias, packer, and be a line worker making sure that the product had no leaks

- can't say anything bad about the management, they did their job

- very fast and good learner so I can't say that the job was hard at all

- knowing that you put in a hard, safe very productive day and the things I learned was most enjoyable
Pros
great job security, and lots of learning
Cons
40% downsizing of the company for new state of the art building (including myself)
Great Company
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 11, 2016
Good balance of work and home life, great place to work if you don't mind staying put and not advancing in your career. Very good benefits and overall great place to work considered that you don't mind staying put in current job role.
The J.M. Smucker Company
ASSOCIATE MANAGER, WAREHOUSE PROCESS (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHMarch 12, 2016
Overall, this is a very nice place to work. I would recommend it to others. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people that were there as it was a very positive environment. I learned a lot about myself working there, and grew as a person.

The J. M. Smucker Company Reviews by Location