The Joint Commission

The Joint Commission United States Employee Reviews

Great organization to work for because friendliness coworkers, Yellow Belt required and they provide the courses, compensation and benefits are good.
Project Director (Former Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, ILDecember 12, 2014
There isn't anything bad that I can say about this company except to get a permanent position versus a contract position that will come to an end.
Great Place to Work
Lead teams through integration (Current Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, IlAugust 23, 2014
It is an excellent place to work with a strong leadership team and dedicated employees.
Home care surveyor
Analyst/Surveyor (Former Employee), Oak Brook TerraceJuly 16, 2014
Traveled to forty eight states over twelve years reviewed some 120 HME companies.
A very inspiring and great place to work.
Research Intern (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILMay 15, 2014
Working at The Joint Commission was the greatest experience in my professional career. The people there are the kindest in the world and all are very intelligent.
Great learning experience
Intern, Corporate Compliance Office (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2013
Best place to learn healthcare accreditation and compliance
Friendly work environment
Business Development (Current Employee), Oak Brook, ILSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: great benefits, excellent location, very friendly atmosphere
Cons: the upper management can sometimes bureaucratize itself out of being useful or relevant.
Large company but feels like a 'small town' where everyone knows your name. Emphasis on safety culture and lean six sigma principles. Excellent vacation and benefits package. Work-life balance is more prevalent in some departments than in others.
Awful Work Environment in Accounts Receivable
Accounts Receivable Assistant (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILMay 15, 2013
Pros: parking garage, in building cafeteria
Cons: poor management, intimidating environment
Extremely poor management in the Accounts Receivable/Pricing Department. Manager is not in tune to what happens in the department. Micro managing and bullying of employees is very common and was brought to H/R attention without change. Very high turnover of employees due to this environment. If you are looking for an enjoyable environment where everyone works together this would not be the place. Worst department ever worked in!
Overall a fun place to work
Senior Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILDecember 19, 2012
I enjoyed my time at The Joint Commission. My co-workers made the time fly. Management was very.. hands off, and not to intune with how the department ran. That was the hardest part of the job.
Excellent job and opportunity
Accreditation Support Analyst (Former Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, ILNovember 12, 2012
Pros: great opportunities to learn and grow
I had 2 different jobs at JCAHO. I started as a Senior Secretary in the Department of Quality Improvement. From there, I applied for and was hired as a Survey Report Analyst. That position transitioned into a new position called an Accreditation Support Analyst of which there were 3 levels: I, II, and III. I grew threw the ranks to become a Level III analyst with the Midwest Hospital Team. The job was very interesting and required increasing knowledge and great attention to detail. I wrote original correspondence as well as canned correspondence, reports and grids.
Excellent Healthcare Benifits
Account Executive (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILAugust 18, 2012
Working with hospitall all over the country was an excellent and informative opportunity.
A/R & Pricing Department - Very Poor Environment
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, ILJune 27, 2012
Pros: nice buidling & cafeteria
Cons: poor managerment, non-trusting environment
The Joint Commission in my opinion is a 2.5 star organization to work for. They follow the Robust Process Improvement (RPI) culture, which is to foster employee solutions to inefficient processes. Some managers makes these classes mandatory on reviews.
The building is nice and offers its own cafetaria. Benefits offered are pretty decent.
The A/R & Pricing Department lacks in quality of management, this fosters an unhealty & intimidating environment. The poor conditions make for a very long and tiring work day. The department suffers from a non-safety culture environment; some of the employees feed the manager with information to get other employees in trouble. The manager is of the belief, its my way or the highway, and lacks the ability of people skills needed to build solid relationships with all employees. Employees throughout the organization have asked for intervention from HR which seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Due to this environment; turnover is high and 3 long-time employees have left within the past 8 months. If you are looking to work for a pleasant trusting environment and a manager with "Integrity"; the A/R & Pricing department would not be a good choice.
The devil is in the details...
Field Representative/Surveyor (Former Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, ILMay 14, 2012
I learned more during my time at the Joint Commission than at any other time in my professional career. The organization is saturated, particularly in the field representative (surveyor) level, with highly trained and motivated professionals. In contrast, the central office is a poorly ran, political hotbed of everything that is wrong with corporate America. Everything seems to get mired in bureaucracy of the least common denominator there and innovation is slowed to a crawl. Most great ideas are either butchered or killed entirely before they get off the ground or they take too long to implement. Instead of being the source for information on most issues, the Joint Commission has now delegated nearly all of these functions to others and I wonder how long they will be a source of anything real, tangible, and valuable in the healthcare field.

Hey, but that's just one person's opinion...
Good benefits
Analyst (Former Employee), Oakbrook Terrace, ILApril 25, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: toxic environment
Good benefits
Work/life balance
Compensation not merit-based
Education/experience not valued
Favoritism
Can't trust anyone

About The Joint Commission

Its not really about joints, per se, unless they are aching and in need of repair. The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health – Read more