THE KANSAS CITY STAR

THE KANSAS CITY STAR Employee Reviews

Early monings every morning
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), KSJune 11, 2015
Pros: Good money
Cons: Every day of the week
Overall it was a good job but delivering papers at 2 a.m. everyday of the week gets old fast. No vacations and they didn't provide alternates for you so you were required to come up with someone on your own who wanted to toss 500 papers at 2 in the morning.
its a job
Ad Inserter/P&D (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 20, 2015
Pros: family like atmosphere
Cons: bad pay, part time
its a awesome atmosphere but not really a place were u can advance
past part-time night shift gets paid the same amount as day shift and alot of times you work 10 hours and get one break and no lunch
Independent Delivery Contractor (Former Employee), KSApril 7, 2015
Very good place to work. Pay is not so good. This job gives you a lot of free time to do the things you want to do with family. I would recommend this job to people with children.
Busy and varied work. Sometime stressful
Zone Manager (Former Employee), KSApril 2, 2015
Pros: Flexibility in scheduling.
Cons: 7 day schedule and overnight hours.
Worked directly supervising employees and contractors in a 7 day facility. Had great flexibility in managing my facility. Hardest part of the job was the overnight hour, most enjoyable was the great flexibility in the schedule.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMarch 26, 2015
Pros: My fellow employees are very pleasant to work with. We all work as a team and as a family.
Cons: If the paper might go to "digital only".
I wake up every morning and look forward to going to work. Not knowing what the day will bring, but, I am ready and willing to concur, just wondering what I will learn that day. I get along with management very well.
I enjoy everything about this job, the only hard thing about this job is getting customers to place ads with us in the physical paper.
This was my first experience in the business world. It was a great place to learn.
Account Executive and Ad Sales Representative (Former Employee), Circulation AdvertisingJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: the compensation was great, the product was well thought of, and the work environment was outstanding.
Cons: weekly, monthly and annual quotas could be a grind. also, the public wasn't always nice to us.
As an employee for The Kansas City Star I learned the product, how to sell, how to communicate with both internal and external customers, to meet sales quotas, achieve monthly goals, compete with my peers, and to manage to rather large departments. The management group were all supportive and did everything they could to coach you and aid in your success. Co-workers were good but you quickly learn in a sales environment to watch what you say and protect the things that you have. For instance, if a store is in your territory only you have the right to work at it. No one else. The same courtesy is paid to others in your department. The hardest part about the job was finding good qualified individuals that could sell and also maintaining your weekly sales quotas or you would lose your job. There was never a normal day at the office but this made it fun. The Star had such a cast of characters it seemed like we were always laughing and carrying on. I miss the people and the managers.
Great real-world journalism experience
Freelance Reporter (Current Employee), KSJuly 7, 2014
I work on a freelance basis. I'm usually working on Friday nights and occasionally Saturdays for the most part. I have a great relationship with the sports staff and they've done a great job of taking care of me as a freelance writer.
It was at night when everyone was still sleeping there were very few interactions with other people.
Delivery Agent (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 3, 2014
Pros: it was at night when the roads were quiet and easy to maneuver.
Cons: sleeping during the early morning and getting up in the middle of the night.
I delivered the newspaper to 500 customer route in three apartment complexes. There was a short run of houses that I also delivered to.
It was my family business
Newspaper-P&D - Shipping Clerk (Former Employee), KSMarch 18, 2014
i work with my family and learned how to run a machine and other big machines
Advertising Print and Digital Sales Director
Auto/ Real Estate Print & Digital Advertising Mgr (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 28, 2014
No typical day in the advertising sales industry, and that is what I loved so much about it.

Best part of the job is working to strategically put together marketing and advertising campaigns that fit the needs and wants of our customers and seeing the results is the best part of the job.

I love working in a team, coming together to solve problems and figure out solutions.

Hardest part of the job are the things you cannot control and how that can affect a client's business. Just another opportunity to learn and grow and get more creative and more strategic.

My management team taught me so much, both as a rep and when I became a manager myself. I learned you can never learn enough, your always growing and pushing to be better. I believe in leading through motivation and being positive. Be a champion, never give up and good things will happen.
Productive and fun place to work.
Journalist, Researcher and Writer (Former Employee), KSJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: lots of potlucks and free food.
Cons: the business is downsizing.
If you like writing, it's a great place to work. Deadlines can be hard to meet but exhilarating.
I am the department catch-all.
Ad Operations Generalist (Current Employee), MOSeptember 16, 2013
I know most jobs in the Advertising Operations department.
I have lost a lot of trust in the people I work with including management. The hardest part of the job is getting yelled at on a daily basis from the Adverting Executives. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to design an ad every so often.
Great work experience and useful training
Lead Supervisor (Former Employee), Kansas City, Mo.August 11, 2013
Pros: great benefits and management
Cons: a dopped skid, having to clean it up
A typical day at work: run daily meetings, pull all shipments and load trucks, input data, oversee all employee's and ensuring safety
Newspaper
High School Sports Columnist, Online Contributor (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 22, 2012
Strong journalism product.
Long standing beacon in community.

About THE KANSAS CITY STAR

It's not a coffee klatch, but if there were such a thing as a newspaper klatch (a gathering of newspapers)┬áthen The McClatchy – Read more