The Kroger Company
2,995 reviews

The Kroger Company Employer Reviews

Safety awareness was key. And they were on top of it.
haul out (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 19, 2014
Pros: we had several cook outs for lunch/ breakfast.
Cons: hot enviornment. constantly. summer. omg
I would have to say. A typical day at work was challenging at the very least. I liked that. Management was always so helpful. co workers were polite and ready to lend a hand. The hardest part was in the middle of the summer. HOT. The management staff was always throwing in little perks.
Both easy and challenging place to work
Assistant Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Independence Township, MIAugust 19, 2014
Pros: healthcare, union
My typical day at work starts at 3:30pm, and I log into the computer to see if any of the registers need to have any drops done and if they do, I take them and process them (we call them "pickups"). I then have to empty the money collected into our lottery machine that's available to customers and process that pick up. I then will go to the customer – more... service desk and run that along with my various other tasks, which are CheckFree Payments (utility bills), Western Union transfers, Money Orders, adding bottle slips turned in from the registers, putting in new Kroger Plus Card applications, and helping with any problems that have arisen for cashiers or courtesy clerks (baggers). At 10pm, I close the service desk down and do all of the paperwork and accounting that is needed and go out to the fuel center at 10:45pm and do their accounting.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the hussle and bustle of the job, and being able to problem solve whatever comes my way. This in many ways can be the hardest part of my job, but it's honestly the best because it allows you to be a proactive thinker.
Management and my co-workers are a great support team, without them supporting me I wouldn't be able to do my job as well as I'm able to. I know that if I had a problem coming to a solution for a problem, they're their to help bounce ideas to fix it. – less
great company to work for
Shift Supervisor/Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Kettering, OHAugust 19, 2014
I tried something new enjoyed it but my heart was always wanted to help people and be in the medical field
Bakery Clerk / Office Assistant (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 19, 2014
Kroger has great benefits, great people, productive. Its always busy, I learned how to decorate cakes, work the RF gun, give great customer service, slice meat. The hardest part was keeping up with the demand. I enjoyed everything about Kroger.
Great company to work for.
Cashier (Former Employee), Atlanta, GaAugust 19, 2014
Learned customer service qualities. How to be a butcher. I dealt with meat and seafood. Stocking, cooking, packaging, unloading trucks into freezer. Managers taught me what i needed to be taught and pretty much gave me full responsibility of my day with the occasional monitoring of course. Only difficult part was clean up, it was a lot in the area working – more... though which was understandable.
They have a lot of advancement privileges. – less
Kroger is a nice company
Florist (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHAugust 19, 2014
Pros: family oriented, close to my home, gained knowledge, helping others, and we always have store activites
Cons: pay is low if you aren't a manager, lack of communication between departmens and managers
A typical day at Kroger consists of a constant customer activity. I am always helping and assisting customers with purchasing flowers and other floral arrangements. I also help customers find products that they are looking for around the store. Working at Kroger, I learned how to properly assist customers, create floral arrangements, how to communicate – more... effectively with my co-workers as well as management and how to run a cash register. My co-workers are very hard working but I believe that some managers can do better by communicating more efficiently and actually "managing" their departments. the most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that Kroger is a family oriented environment. It's a little dysfunctional at times but at the end of the day, we are one big family. – less
Great
Produce Clerk, Cashier (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHAugust 19, 2014
Just great! I wish I could stay and expand more there. Another great place with great people.
Room for growth and advancement
CUSTOMER SERVICE CASHIER (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: employee discounts on store brand items daily and during holidays, tuition reimbursement for students
Cons: requirement to work on holidays.
Good job that teaches customer service and money management. There is room for advancement or the opportunity to work in various departments such as; produce department, dairy, deli, or general merchandising. A typical day could begin by working on a cash register, helping a customer check out the items that they have selected for purchase. The hardest – more... part of the job maybe encountering difficult customers or standing on you feet for 8 hours or more. The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting customers in finding the things that they need or solving a problem that they may have. – less
Nice place to work but they were paying too little
Meat Clerk (Former Employee), Milford, OHAugust 18, 2014
Pros: the chance to learn a lot about meat and meat cutting
Cons: they were paying less than minimum wage and you have to pay union fees
I was the scheduled closer almost every night. I learned a lot about assisting customers and working with food. The management was always very friendly and helpful to the employees and customers. Most of my co workers were very helpful and a joy to work with.
Productive work place
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Perry, GAAugust 18, 2014
Very busy
Grocery clerks have it the worst in the beginning
Grocery clerks have more duties than the rest of the coworkers so it seems. They have bathroom duties, break room duties, buggy duties, bagging groceries, and walking people to their cars to help unload the groceries as well.
Kroger Rx
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Starkville, MSAugust 18, 2014
Really like the small area I worked at. The manager was really nice and friendly. only thing is if you are part-time you don't qualify for insurance.
Productive and Friendly Enviorment
Supervisor, Cashier (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARAugust 18, 2014
Working for the Kroger company has taught me a lot about not only my self, but others as well. I've learned how to understand others frustrations and not only understand, but to lend a helping hand. Not only have I learned how to understand my customers, but also understanding my co-workers/team is very important as well. We have a good team here at – more... Kroger and what makes us great. I've learned how to remain calm in heated situations and also turn a negative situation into a positive situation. Did not realize how a simple "How are you doing today?" would make a persons day until i start working for Kroger.
I cant say that there is really a hard part in the job that I do, but I can say the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have satisfied my customers and they are leaving with a smile.
A typical day at work for me is, being on the clock before I can actually punch the clock. Meaning, as soon as I walk through the door at work, I'm asked 3 questions by my customers. The humorous part of the questions are, they ask me the same questions every time they shop, and these are the same customers who shop in our store 2 or 3 times a day, very loyal customers. – less
Night shift
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Bowling Green, KYAugust 18, 2014
Pros: discount on kroger brand products, decent healthcare.
Cons: lots of work, night shift, wasn't worth the pay to me.
I worked night shift from 11 pm to 7:30 am. It is a pretty physically demanding job sometimes; some pallets of stock are really heavy. Management is ok but can sometimes expect a little too much from night shift employees. The hardest part of the job is the shift itself: trying to balance life with night shift can be hard. I really didn't enjoy the – more... job. – less
If you like being overworked and underpaid
Shift Leader (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNAugust 18, 2014
Pros: leaving work
Cons: going to work
Like the summary says, Kroger will work you hard and never offer any form of encouragement or adequate compensation. Masochists please apply.
Kroger
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Lexington, KYAugust 18, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: management
Kroger's is a company that does not stand behind their employees. Management will tell employees to do one thing and when a customer asks for a management after following their directions, management will always side with the customers.
fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Charleston, WVAugust 16, 2014
worked my shift and went home. the managers didn't really care about anything that was going on with you at the time
Working for Kroger was a great experince and that has help build my skills in the sales industry.
Deli Clerk (Cashier/Server) (Former Employee), Clinton, MSAugust 16, 2014
Pros: worked around my school schedule.
Cons: low pay
I meet different people each day that I went to work and each one of them had a ifferent story to tell me. I met different people with different cultures and beliefs. I enjoyed experiencing that.

I learned that one must be humble and respectful to everyone that you have an encounter with even if they are rude.

My manager was very respectful and she – more... treat her employees with respect and she appreciated their hard work. – less
Loved doing this line of work
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Decatur, ILAugust 15, 2014
Cons: they wouldnt give me a raise for my certification for 3 yrs, until the union contract was up . this was the reason i found different employment
I was a great place to work everyone was nice and lots of team work
Enjoyable staff
Conditioner (Former Employee), Macon, GaAugust 15, 2014
Pros: extra points on gas
Cons: no benefits, several times i wasn't in the system when i signed in for work so my hours weren't counted.
I had to work early hours like 5 am. to 9 am. which made it difficult for me since I also had school to get to the same day. I learned how to work with pressure and I always seek for improvement. The management seemed a little disorganized but the overall experience was adequate. The night staff made my job difficult by over stocking the shelves so – more... I can't moving anything around because they didn't want to take the extras to the back of the store. The most enjoyable part of my experience was some of the staff were fun to talk to and made the time go much faster. – less
Freshness of product and costumer service number one!
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Covington, GAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: great benifits and insurance
Cons: wishing there were more hours in the day to work at my job.
Making sure that I am doing the job that I'm scheduled to do for that day and get every task done, but making sure that everything is done correctly and even going over my work after I'm finished. Customer Service is always number one, I'm there to help my loyal customers so therefore I need to do 100% when helping those who ask for assistance, or even – more... asking if they need help with anything, greeting a customer will get me a long way in helping to satisfy that customer to come back.

I have learned multiple things at my job, not only how to communicate better with my fellow employees, but also talk to customers as well. I work harder when I know what I am doing, or have been given a task by my management team, and if there is something I have not learned or have no idea on what to do, I will take the advice of what my management team has to offer me in learning more, I am a very quick learner. – less