The Kroger Company
3,078 reviews

The Kroger Company Employer Reviews

great place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee), Walton, KYSeptember 4, 2014
they were really flexible with with school when i was in high school and when you needed off for something the worked it out with you. very good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Jackson, MISeptember 4, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: healthcare
Kroger was a good place to work. The day consisted of ringing up the customers orders and collecting payment for their items. I learned a lot about working with customers. The co-workers and management were a joy to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to work with others on a daily basis.
the best thing about the job was my co-workers
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: a lot of free samples
Cons: short breaks, poor management, low employee moral
A typical day at work in the bakery meant working non-stop to keep the department organized.
I have learned that planning ahead in the workplace is important.
The management could use some improvement.
My co-workers were awesome. If you're going to work in any department work in the floral department. You get paid to make gorgeous arrangements and be – more... around awesome people.
The hardest part about the job was doing everything with no recognition.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers. – less
Fun Off-Clock Activities
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Covington, GASeptember 3, 2014
Pros: quick friendship
Cons: prying
We had several, Culture Council events outside of work that promoted unity and fun.
Loved my co-workers and enjoyed great discounts.
Deli Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee), Wheeling, WVSeptember 3, 2014
During my 8 hour shifts, I was either on the cash register or in the deli. In the deli, I learned how to make different kinds of sandwiches as well as chicken salad. On the register, I provided quick customer service while being social with the customers. The most enjoyable part of my work day was having shifts with fun people.
Fun workplace
Bagger (Former Employee), Arlington, TXSeptember 3, 2014
Great place to go to work when you're young and in high school. A lot of the employees were around 16-18. Typical day would be bagging groceries while talking and laughing, and when the store was empty, running around and having fun.
You go as far as you try
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hamilton, OHSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: union
Cons: part of town my store was in and security of the store
Awesome company to work for! Loved being at my job my employees always respected me and my authority even at a young age! The job wasn't always easy and always fun but i made the best out of it! They worked with my school schedule until they got a new Customer Service Manager and he decided to cut my hours due to my limited availability. The hardest – more... part of the job i would say would be dealing with some of the unhappy customers that just couldn't be dealt with but always have to smile and ask them to come back. I learned so much while working at Kroger from how to count down safes with surrounding departments totals included, how to send and receive Western Union, printing money orders and how to make the store sale signs. – less
I enjoyed what i did.
Cheese Monger (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 2, 2014
I love working and making my customers happy. Everyone was friendly and worked together as a family.
challenging and stressful workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Hiram, GASeptember 2, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: job expectations, no advancement opportunities
A typical day consists of customer service and whatever other duties management needs you to complete for the day.
I learned that sometimes the company wanted you to do jobs that weren't on the job description.
Co-workers weren't a problem.
The hardest part of the job was advancing throughout the company.
The most enjoyable part of the job...
Productive workplace, with great advancement opportunities.
Bagger (Former Employee), Marietta, GASeptember 2, 2014
I would have to engage the customer in a friendly and sincere customer service. I learned new things on the job everyday, about people and the job itself. I had great coworkers who had as much motivation as I do to help people.
Great Employees, Improved Leaderships skills, Availability Problems, Poor Management
Store Clerk (Current Employee), Cookeville, TNSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: great employees, company picnic, holiday dinners, paid vacation, personal days
Cons: disrespectful upper management & immediate supervisor, constant availability problems, stress
A typical day at work consists of readying our products for the store floor by stocking the shelves, cutting, or baking some the products. The bulk of this must be done by a certain time (Ready by Time). Usually my shift is to come in and bake/pack/stock cookies for the first half of my shift. After that comes time to do all the prep work for our night – more... baker (Doing the Breakout). This is done by first scanning a computer assisted production sheet (CAP). This is typically a department manager duty. However, the employees at our store are trained to scan their own sheet into the system. Next, all the product must be laid out on the proper surfaces depending on what is to be done with that particular item or subset of items. Finally, after the completion of breakout the department must be properly cleaned to meet the requirements put in place by health regulations.

The job itself has helped to enhance several of my leadership skills in that I have learned what my coworkers need, taken the lead in my department when my manager is inaccessible, and made decisions for the department that have received praised from members of middle management. My understanding of customer service and employee interaction have also increased as a result of my current position. I have helped customers find products they desire anywhere in the store regardless of the department, taken orders for customers with special needs, and have navigated difficult situations to help create a more positive outcome (customer irritation with an inaccurate order or a fellow employee who is needing help with part of their training).

My immediate supervisor is usually super stressed due to her interaction with the store manager. However, she is very hard to approach due to her inability to handle any kind of constructive feedback from her fellow employees. Middle management (Co-managers of the store) have been great to work with throughout my company experience. Several of them have been very supportive of my attendance at school and have told me that I am someone they can count on to pull up slack in the department or come in for some extra hours if business is up. Upper management (Store manager) has not been very supportive and typically relies on superficial comments to get through employee interactions.

My coworkers with this company have been anywhere from good to phenomenal. It is rare that I find an employee that gives me any problems to speak of.

The biggest challenge with this company has been scheduling in the form of availability. The company itself has even purchased software that automates the scheduling process for the store's many departments. However, in spite of this I myself and several others have had to fight just to get the scheduling we need so that we can attend the local university. In several instances having our availability waved entirely and being dismissed completely by the store manager who refuses to go through the proper paperwork. The department has also suffered considerably from the loss of several good employees who abruptly leave from frustration and the disrespect they receive from the immediate supervisor or upper management.

Working for Kroger is rewarding in the fact that I have worked with some really excellent people on the job and I have had the opportunity to help customers that have been in some really tough situations. – less
Very Productive and fun workplace
Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Covington, GASeptember 2, 2014
A typical day is taking care of the customers and making sure that they find and get everything they need. I have learned that working for Kroger that you come across different various of people and dealing with multiple personalities. The management team is very stern but they're very family oriented. My co-workers are a lot of fun to work with and – more... we look out for each other. The hardest part of my job is making sure that my accounting clerks keep everything in order. The most enjoyable part of the job is making sure my customers leave with a smile on their face and come back to see me. – less
fast pacedworking place.
Courtesy clerk (Former Employee), Savannah, GeorgiaSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: disorganized management
I worked at Kroger for 2 years. Kroger was my first job and a good one but my position was physically demanding and very little pay.
ok place to work
grocery clerk (Former Employee), Morgantown, WVSeptember 2, 2014
its just a college job, unless you go into management but then they can move you at any time
Decent place to work on not so pleasant part of town.
Overnight Grocery clerk (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 2, 2014
Pros: nice people
Cons: work enviorment and car theft
It’s a nice place to work with a mostly good staff. There have been problems with cars being broken into or damaged. The store is always full of customers to assist and at the same time build social skills. The most enjoyable part is interacting with customers. The managers are responsible and help teach you the ins and outs of the business.
Fun place to work
Fuel Clerk (Former Employee), Weston,WVSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: you get a lunch break
I learned how to deal with customers better and keep my cool. I had a great management staff and awesome coworkers. One of the hardest parts of the job was keeping everyone calm while I helped them.
this should be a starter job, Only. or part time
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), dacula, gaSeptember 1, 2014
working at Kroger is not hard at all, but you are not well compensated for your work. I felt over work for the position I was in, but they didn't want to increase my pay. they want to advance your title, but not the wages.
Good company and nice people
Drug/General Merchandise Department (Former Employee), Arlington, TXSeptember 1, 2014
Typical Day
Morning Shift: I would condition my department's products, break apart the truck load into aisle, then start stocking the product onto the shelves and scan for missing products, .
Mid Shift: I would start stocking the product onto the shelves, and scan for missing products
Evening Shift: I would start stocking the product onto the shelves, – more... and scan for missing products, then condition my department's products

Other Things
Building/Setting up displays, Setting up/Maintaining Seasonal/Promotional Aisle, Inventory, Making/Placing Tags, Working Back-stock, Helping customers/front-end of the store – less
Experienced Cake Decorator (Former Employee), League City, TXSeptember 1, 2014
Would love working for Kroger again, great people and a great experience
Productive and fun work place
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Bloomfield Hills, MIAugust 30, 2014
I enjoy working for Kroger , my job is really hands on and that's what I like most about it. Kroger is a friendly environment.