The Kroger Company
3,985 reviews

The Kroger Company United States Employee Reviews

A good first job, not a career
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee), Grand Blanc, MIApril 22, 2015
Pros: Friendly coworkers
Cons: No health care, low pay
For a first job, Kroger was a great experience for me. It encouraged me to work hard and helped to transition me into the work force; however, while coworkers were extremely present to be around, there did not seem to be much motivation among my superiors, minus the managers. The managers seemed very determined to create a great work environment and often went out of their way to cooperate with their employees, but would transfer to different stores so often that it was difficult to maintain a healthy relationship with them. It is also extremely difficult to reach full time at this job. Most employees come and go, while employees who have worked there for almost 10 years are still struggling to reach full time. You also do not progress much from minimum wage.
Good co-workers and constant work.
Assistant Frozen Foods Manager/ Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Middletown, OHApril 22, 2015
Learned how to place orders and manage a department. Management was softer on people who didn't want to be there.
Co-workers were the better part, met some good people.
Dealing with constant flow of customer's in aisles while stocking.
Making a good order.
Structured and closely managed
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 22, 2015
Pros: relatively simple job
Cons: long hours minimal help
Well managed company
Assistant Managers work closing and weekend shifts
Main focus is follow through on direction of department managers and company initiatives
Good benefits
Great Atmosphere
Front End (Former Employee), Cincinnati OhioApril 22, 2015
Pros: lunch, people
Cons: short breaks
great place to work at , everyday i helped with groceries , brung in bascarts , assisted customers , restocked shelves , i learned great customer service skills and my co-workers were very nice and open armed . the hardest oart of the job was bringing in bascarts , the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers .
Good healthcare
Order Selector (Former Employee), Delaware, OHApril 21, 2015
Pros: healthcare
Cons: Hours
Kroger distribution center was extremely hard work. The benefits and pay are pretty good. I drove a pallet jack around and picked orders and sent them to store around Ohio,
It all depends on who you are working for
Supervisor (Current Employee), Lagrange, KYApril 21, 2015
If you get with the right leadership team, this can be a really fun place to work. Doesn't pay all that well but it isn't all that stressful either.
Kroger
Produce clerk (Current Employee), Omaha, NebraskaApril 21, 2015
Pros: scholarship, healthcare, 401 k
Cons: not very competitive pay
Productive work place with friendly employees. They allow you to have the opportunity to be rewarded for giving great customer service, or going above and beyond at your job.
Very bad pay but health insurance is cheap
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Athens, OhioApril 20, 2015
It is a good job to get through college, but nothing to make a career of. My least favorite part is that it's union so employees who aren't useful can't really be fired.
Very poor management
meat clerk (Former Employee), douglasville gaApril 20, 2015
Time with company wasnt pleasnt. very poor management and customer service. Wages are low and compensation is limited
Great company to get build a resume
Licensed Starbucks Café Manager (Former Employee), Wylie, TXApril 20, 2015
Pros: provides lots of opportunity for growth
Cons: Some stores could use better communication skills
My position within this company was exclusively involved with the Starbucks licensed café within the company. My knowledge is not specifically Kroger based, but upon observation, I can provide a little insight.

For a café lead, my job was to ensure the business needs of the café were met. I had sales goals to meet, a budget to follow, managed inventory and stock, train and coach team members, provide corrective action as necessary, run the register, meet with the Starbucks district manager as well as the deli district manager to make sure I was following both companies protocols. So you could say I was working for two different companies at once.

As a café lead, my department was underneath the deli department. At any given time, I would report to the deli manager, the department manager, the co-manager as well as the store manager. At times, this would become a challenge because there is not always a good amount of communication between all the managers. I would also note that most Kroger managers were not very knowledgeable about the policies and procedures that a licensed café is expected to follow in order to maintain the contract Starbucks has made with Kroger. If a Starbucks district manager made a visit and there happened to be product missing, display case set wrong, etc, then the café would be written up for non-compliance. A lot of the Kroger managers only view this as a cost expense and instill a need to correct it but try to micro manage how you do it, which can occasionally create an issue since they are not informed about the Starbucks policies that need – more... to be upheld. Thus hindering you from fixing the issue.

An example would be a huge promotional launch is starting next week but you need extra people on the day of the launch. My department was projected for a certain number of hours in a week, but I was told to cut even more of those hours so the store could use them in a different department. If I were to have a promotional event where I was required by Starbucks to have two people minimum, but Kroger told me to only have one, then Starbucks would write the café up for noncompliance.

The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the multitasking. I really loved being a part of two different companies at the same time. – less
Thought that I should've been respected more, but enjoyed the atmosphere, customers, and work experience.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Buckhannon, WVApril 20, 2015
Pros: Working with customers.
Cons: Not respected enough.
It was fun to work with customers and to help to the best of my ability. Kroger does a better job of showing respect and helping the customers more than most stores. I felt like I worked harder than most employees and was kinder to customers, but others would advance up instead of me. I felt like I wasn't respected enough. I liked the atmosphere and the work however.
Terrible
Deli Service Clerk (Current Employee), Lansing, MIApril 19, 2015
Management plays favorites. The only positive feedback received is no feedback at all. Nothing was ever done good enough. Lazy co-workers were never disciplined.
Fast paced and steady work
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Vinton, VAApril 19, 2015
Pros: fast paced
Cons: working holidays and weekends
Fast paced environment. Great chance to work with the public. Steady employment with possible chance for advancement. The hardest part of the job is working on weekends and holidays.
it would be nice to have a little more fear time to play pig pog
bagger (Former Employee), Brownsburg, INApril 19, 2015
Pros: i go out of my way for others, i help others when i see they need help
Cons: i talk to much, need to stay on top of what i need to do
my typical day at work was talking to much to others.
how to keep the carts from hitting anything .
i think management should be able to help a little more
i loved all of my co-workers we where a family
i think the hardest pert of the job was the carts
being aroung people that wants to help others
nice store bad management
cashier (Current Employee), Columbia, MOApril 19, 2015
its a wonderful store as far as the employee go and the enviroment of the store but thge management was very unorganized alot of employees not working to potential and no repremant for any of it
Was a great place to work, Fun, great co workers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Bartonville, ILApril 19, 2015
Pros: Great co workers, good hours
I enjoyed working at Kroger because the staff were all helpful and friendly. It was a friendly environment. I liked seeing regular customers and new customers and helping them with what they needed.
boring
Customer Service (Former Employee), Hilliard, OHApril 19, 2015
Pros: Discount on kroger brands
Cons: When on break im still required to help customers
supervisors always seemed to be in a bad mood, never felt like i could ask them for help or anyhting. Customer service workers seems alwyas cheerful and helpful to the customers.
hard worker
courtsey clerk (Former Employee), atlantaApril 19, 2015
working at krogers was fun. i love to meet new people. No matter what time of day it was. You have to be ready to work hard and long.
busy place
Deli Worker (delicatessen Worker) (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 18, 2015
Pros: nice co workers, awesoem cafe manager, always busy, vacation for part timers
Cons: luch break was always late, management didnt know you by name, wasnt appreciated
i worked in the deli with 3 other people everyone had their own task and stayed busy. I learned a lot about making orders for customers and taking orders i also made trays and party platters.
my first job
Bagger/Customer Service (Former Employee), Nashville, TNApril 18, 2015
my first job coming out of high school learing was great but pay was little for some of the things we did out 8-12 hours but co-workers were enjoyble to work with