The Kroger Company

The Kroger Company Employee Reviews

Found 4,963 reviews matching the search
Good work place
Baker/Deli (Former Employee) –  Germantown, TNJanuary 20, 2016
Cooking for the steam table and roasted chickens for customers, Wait on customers for meat cheese and salads from cold case, Management worked with clerks to provide the customers the best service we could and please them, We were short of personnel and needed more people but we worked to provide great service,
Just A Place To Get A Paycheck
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2016
I worked at Kroger for about a month. The pay is so low, one has to have a second job just to make ends meet. A typical day consists of stocking shelves, straightening them (this is known as conditioning) and doing returns. The one thing I hated about my job was that there was often no clearly marked place on the shelf for most of the stocked item and they over-ordered for one product while being in short supply of other products. Because of this, stocking the shelves and doing returns was a huge pain.

I did like being able to take breaks whenever I liked. Granted, we had to work four hours before taking a break and I always took too 15 minute breaks and sometimes ate on one of my breaks. I hated my schedule in that I wasn't doing shift work; my shifts were smack dab in the middle of the day, making it all but impossible to take a second job, which is necessary due to the extremely low pay.
Pros
Flexibility in taking breaks, being able to work on your own
Cons
Poor Scheduling, lack of ease in performing job duties
Great and productive place to work at
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Starkville, MSJanuary 18, 2016
A typical work day at Kroger was you came and clocked in. Next you would start at your station and start bagging as soon as customer came in. I would bagged their groceries and put their groceries in the grocery carts and sometimes take it to their cars. Then the managers or co workers would tell me to go and collect the grocery carts for 30 minutes and after I get done with that. I would come back and bagged for another hour and then the manager would tell me to cleaned the bathrooms and sweep the floors. From this job Iearned about initiative and about customer service. The management was ok. They always helped me when I needed it. The coworkers were really nice and always were there when I need assistance. I don't think it was a hard part to this job. The most enjoyable part was helping the customer bag their groceries because I enjoy helping people and I think it helped with customer service.
Pros
30 minute breaks
Cons
Specific days off
Kroger Co.
clerk (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 17, 2016
Kroger is an alright experience, however they are bad at communicating and management is all about themselves. I learned how to operate the store per every department. My co-workers were awesome, but management was very unorganized therefore most people quit. They are short staffed and use people for what they need, but don't want to raise pay. The pay rate between part time and full time is not a significant difference.
Pros
friendly associates
Cons
short breaks, low pay rate, poor scheduling
Good Starter Job
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Circleville, OHJanuary 16, 2016
I really enjoy my job and the people I work with. I am usually doing three different jobs a day, including; running register, working behind the customer service desk, and supervising the front-end team. Management at Kroger is known to run a tight ship. The co-managers are very friendly and easy to get along with. I like all of my co-workers. We call it "The Kroger Family". We all support each other and I have made many friends during my time there. I think the hardest part of my job is probably getting yelled at by angry customers but it also makes me better at my job because it allows me to learn how to respond to different situations and how to fix the problem. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing repeat customers that have been coming to Kroger for years. I know a lot of customers by name and they have become my friends.
Pros
Family enviroment, open interaction between myself and customers
Cons
Senority based advancement
Entry level
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 16, 2016
Great entry level place to start, but you can advance with this company and the training is great. The people are great with this company and very helpful. I enjoyed working with for Kroger.
Pros
Pay, bonus
Cons
30 min lunch break
My experience with Meat/Seafood department
MEAT/SEAFOOD CLERK (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALJanuary 15, 2016
Tending to customers in seafood, steaming shrimp, live lobster, snow crabs, stocking rotating meats and lunch meat, cutting raw meats and packing them, cleaning meat saws and machines and sanitizing it, taking down seafood department putting all the seafood in a bag and putting it back in the cooler, cleaning and sanitizing the whole seafood room. I learned how to cut raw meat steaks chickens, how to ground hamburger meat, I learned how operate in the seafood department.
One of the best and worse working environments
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Haven, KSJanuary 15, 2016
This job started out steady with decent work hours, after six months of employment i built a healthy relationship with my management and coworkers. Soon after this I i felt taken advantage of, my manager would call me in to work over time on every day off that i would get in my work schedule, which didn't bother me at first but after months of getting only one day off every two weeks it wore me down. It got to the point where my manager would pressure me and guilt trip me into working for her when other employees would call in. normally working overtime would be no problem but once you work an eight hour shift and your manager calls you crying Christmas eve to work an over night double you start to question your management. Other problems i had were that i was given the responsibility of a manager with no additional pay. These included taking produce and product orders. I had no problem taking on these responsibilities as i was hoping to move up in the corporation. Another problem i had working with this company was the fact that there were new employees making the same as, if not more than me even with my experience. Other than the off the wall work hours my time with Kroger was pleasant. My relationship with my coworkers was healthy and we felt like a family. The most important things i learned working for this company are great time management skills, how to take product orders, and exceptional problem solving skills.
Pros
Free fountain drinks
Cons
No breaks
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Huron, MIJanuary 15, 2016
it was a great company to work for. met a lot of people. the job wasn't hard at all. management was great, they did want they needed too do to get stuff done.
Pros
union
Cons
nothing
Kroger Cashier
customer service part time (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2016
Typical day at work was to clock in and immideatly be prepared to engage with people and remember codes to all the foods and ring out people. Learned how to deal with many sitations with customers, Learned how to ring out people with certain procedures. My coworkers were great, as well as my management. The hardest part of this job was standing on your feet for your whole shift. Engaging with people was the most enjoyable.
Pros
people, enviroment, management
Cons
short breaks, on your feet
kroger
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 15, 2016
I loved working with others there and learning something new everyday.
Overall rating*

very good
Great place to meet people
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mount Washington, KYJanuary 14, 2016
I got to meet many and different people every passing day. I enjoyed very much working with customers. Its a good social job and a god way to be able to warm up to strangers. I learned a lot about food safety and working in a deli.
Pros
Working with customers and food.
good working schedules
Shift Store Associate (Former Employee) –  North Augusta, SCJanuary 14, 2016
best job i have ever done and would do it again when given the opportunity and chance. good working environment and nice pay
Pros
free products
Cons
good resting time
Great place to learn how to work with consumers
Produce Clerk/Stock Merchant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 14, 2016
Working in the Kroger Product dept help me better understand teamwork and getting along with others. There I learned how to pay attention to detail.
Pros
Interacting with people
Cons
Fresh Product Care
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2016
The pharmacy is usually very busy, so I'm always alert, on my feet and up to the task. My co-workers are friendly and very helpful and I'm still learning how to work the operating system
Great place to work, fun work enviroment, customer interactions
Fuel Center Clerk (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALJanuary 14, 2016
I loved working at Kroger, the hours were good, and overall is a great company to work. Co-workers are from different backgrounds, which makes for great conversations and experiences. I have nothing negative to say about Kroger, it is an awesome place for people that are new to the job scene.
Pros
Customer interaction, great employees.
Cons
Pay is not that high, not much room for growth
productive job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNJanuary 13, 2016
Store walks and making sure the product was stocked and the customers were happy and finding everything they need with friendly service.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay was too small
good starter job
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJanuary 12, 2016
not a lot of hours but will hire people in high school. jqew pownfbg 9ou0iwenfghb9u eiaur5 4bn94u3 0w984 u8909wr4ugfa80wreufhaw-rufh retag ear ertg a
probably one of the worst job experiences
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXJanuary 12, 2016
manager didn't care about workers and would send people to work outside in 105 degree weather for hours at a time retrieving grocery carts (or even in snow/rain). manager gave special treatment to her children who worked under her and with the other cashiers. pay was very low, schedules were purposefully made to maximize work time while minimizing break times. supervisors/managers are very rude and have an attitude which emphasizes the dispensability of workers.
Pros
easy to get the job
Cons
too easy to get the job, long work hours and short breaks, high physical labor with low compensation
Pay is not very good to start and have to work 3 months to get min. wage
Barista (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJanuary 12, 2016
I enjoyed working with the different people who come in. Pay was not all that great to start out at $7.75. Union dues come out as soon as you start but your not in it until 3 months have past.
Pros
great people
Cons
pay