The Kroger Company
3,346 reviews

The Kroger Company Employer Reviews

Fun place to be around most days.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Fort Wayne, INNovember 5, 2014
Typical day we would be busy but, not holiday busy. We would have to make sure everything is in place and neat. We would sometimes come in and nothing would be done so we would have to catch up on things.
Friendly Service
Customer Service Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GANovember 5, 2014
I started out working at the Kroger gas station then made my way to the main store in two month. Inside I worked as a cashier but I also worked the customer service center. The customer service center was always busy. You greet the customers as they enter the store, I remember so many money orders were printed out every day. I would assist with western – more... union transactions. – less
Wonderful people, treated great by everyone
Assistant Meat Manager (Former Employee), Albany, GANovember 5, 2014
Pros: best job in the world
Cons: you can't work there for 100 years.
I would recommend a career here. Treated like royalty from the first day. There is no 'new guy' mentality there. Management frowns on anything that isn't fair treatment. You get a 10% discount on Kroger items. Which takes a big chunk off of your grocery bill.
Enjoyable work experience, friendly and cooperative management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Cary, NCNovember 4, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, excellent managers, company contests
Cons: dirty employee bathroom
Kroger was one of those places where you could have fun whilst you worked. Working at the service desk allowed me to receive a rich experience of interactions with the clientele and my co-workers. The work kept me busy, and the day simply flew by.

Management was great, too. My superiors were always willing to drop whatever it was they were doing to – more... help either me or a customer. The managers were approachable, personable and all around good people to work with. They worked just as hard as any of us at the service desk or on the floor, and we all tried to reciprocate their effort.

The hardest part of my job was working with angry customers. I always did whatever I could to placate an upset client, but sometimes it seemed as thought they were deliberately trying to hurt my feelings. It wasn't pleasant when that happened, but I just smiled and helped them out as best I could. – less
Great place that cares about thier customers
Assistant Front-End Manager (Current Employee), North Augusta, SCNovember 4, 2014
Open in the morning, greet associates and store management, balance books from previous day. Coach employees, help on floors, assisting and directing customers. I really enjoy working with people, and getting to know my customers!
fun work place
Cashier (Current Employee), Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2014
Pros: customers
Cons: not full time
the customers are what make your day and make you want to come back for more.
Helpful staff
Cashier (Current Employee), Spring Hill, TNNovember 3, 2014
ok place to work, flexible hours. Poor management, U-scan is the best position for me personally. good hours, at least 18-20 a week no doubt.
A Pretty Ok Work Place
Meat Department Clerk (Former Employee), Atlanta GaNovember 3, 2014
If You Can Get Pass The Gossip & Fighting Working At Kroger Was A Pretty Ok Place I Enjoyed It
Not my favorite place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Forney, TXNovember 3, 2014
They will lie to you to get you to apply and take the job you are offered (not the one you want).
Bagger, Promoted to Cashier, Promoted to Produce (Former Employee), Greenwood, INNovember 3, 2014
Great place to start off your working career. Always something different everyday.
Day at Kroger
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INNovember 3, 2014
a typical day at Kroger was scanning peoples groceries and helping people with questions
i learned to be outgoing and kind from talking to so many people a day
management took there job very serious and always got the job done
my co-workers were great we all got a long and worked really good together
hardest part of my job was trying to please every – more... customer that walks in cause its really hard especially when they are having a bad day
the most enjoyable part about my job was putting a smile on peoples facing and helping them with whatever they need – less
fun workplace
Cashier/Stock/Customer Service (Former Employee), Steubenville, OHNovember 3, 2014
Pros: 15 minute breaks
Cons: short breaks
A typical day was when we had all the help we needed to get the job done fast and make the customers happy. I learned how to deal with customers and the register...Management they were kinda there whenever you needed the help. My co workers were awesome we all worked well together on the team. The hardest part of the job was when they were no help and – more... you had to do everything yourself.
The most enjoyable job when everything was going good and we had a little help. – less
n/a
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 2, 2014
Great customer service skills and great with people. Love the fast enviroments
small work place
Courtesy clerk (Former Employee), Decatur, GANovember 2, 2014
its a small store cramped it wasn't an all good experience I would never work at a grocery store again
Good First Job
Cashier (Former Employee), Bluewell, WVNovember 2, 2014
A lot of turn over, but company makes for a very good first job.
Horrible workplace, comparable to slave labor.
Frozen Clerk (Former Employee), Newport, KYNovember 1, 2014
Pros: cheap healthcare (changing soon, however), job at hand
Cons: management, scheduling, workload.
Kroger is by far the worst employer I've ever dealt with, and it is not even close. The typical day (3rd shift) at Kroger consists of you, an entry-level worker, running an entire department. Without you, nothing will get done, you are thrown an ungodly workload, that can be accomplished nightly, but you will be hauling everything you have to complete – more... it. In the morning the management will greet you, with no "good job," they'll just say, "Sup" or "Hey."

The management rewards you for your slave labor, I mean work, with 10+ uninterrupted days of work, with no OT included! All of that for $7.40 ($8.40 for 3rd shift). Furthermore, the atrocious scheduling is justified by the management because you are a "good, hard-worker." So it hurts you to do well at your job, the management specifically told me "We want you here on Sunday." No Sundays off for me! The management will also go the extra mile, to go out of their way to harass you for something you weren't responsible for, or for no reason whatsoever.

The disappointing part about Kroger, is that the job at hand is quite entertaining. Stock, at least. Other positions may be intolerable for all I know, but I had no problem coming in 40 hours a week to stock until the scheduling got out of hand (which I continually complained about, and they didn't do anything about, see above for specifics).

What I can take back from this absolutely unbearable, degrading experience, is that I now know I cannot continue on working dead-end jobs. So, I thank Kroger for showing me (unintentionally) how bad these corporations are, and leading me to a better path in life.

Do not work at Kroger. – less
Micromanagement cesspool
Meat Clerk (Current Employee), Lincoln Park, MIOctober 31, 2014
They will try to run your life by continually changing your schedule until the last possible moment and even after sometimes. They will call you on days off and get mad if you do not answer. They offer little pay and no benefits for part timers, which most people are because they don't want to pay full time wages. You will most likely be secure in your – more... job unless you steal or are late or don't show up. The people you work with will either be cool or think they are still in high school. Management sucks... they look over your shoulder for everything but act annoyed when you actually need them for something. – less
Kroger
Drug/GM Clerk (Former Employee), Holt, MIOctober 30, 2014
Cons: bad service, dirty
Kroger was an okay place to work at. I didn't really get the many hours. I work there for almost to years and I didn't get paid that much either. The store wasn't very clean it was dirty. The employees didn't really treat the customer right. Most the employees there should just be fired.
Productive and fun workplace with customers
Seafood Lead Clerk (Current Employee), Dacula, GAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: sometime we have free lunches, snack, trivia game etc.
Cons: short break
depends on my working hours, early morning is the most important thing to open and set up services case for the customers and fill the shelves with products during my entire working time. Then I should make a order to order products which are missing or which has a bit of a sell out quickly. During my work experience I learned a lot working with customers – more... and solve problems. Senior managers are correct and are helping in the shop. My work colleagues are very entertaining and good workers because we all work as a well-coordinated team. The most difficult part of the job is to work in the freezer or go to the freezer to pick up products what missing in the department. the most enjoyable part is work with customers. – less
fun place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: i love working with the public
Cons: upset customers
I was a customer service rep, cashier, front end manager i wore all types of hats to the business.