The Lane Construction Corporation Employee Reviews

Unfair
Area Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 29, 2017
Many aspects are overlooked for employees by management. Take the time to look at every situation before passing judgement and not getting all the facts.
Hired On
Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 19, 2017
It is not easy to get hired on because they are just like other large companies, very picky.

You get to have a voice with this company.
Caring for employees is a value and every employee is fully aware.

We are always having fun while working and employees are a family.
Pros
No micro managers
Cons
Need more projects in Texas
Extremely fast-paced
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLDecember 11, 2017
I loved the work I did for and with Lane, hated the job though - which is probably different now since they were bought by a larger firm with a bigger check book, if you know what I mean.

In all seriousness though, I think I was just unlucky enough to work a project from start to finish with this company through the housing crisis having caught up with the infrastructure market in 2012; the project was a loser form the beginning, under-staffed, under-supplied, and under-estimated. We were also the red head step child way outside of the market we normally served in Florida; all of these things culminated in a severe lack of work/life balance, fluidity of support staff, and overall stress that was almost unmanageable.

Almost, though, only because the people I worked with were nothing short of amazing; even when we were yelling at each other. And the level of responsibility that was subsequently dumped in my freshly graduated from college lap allowed me to shine once I overcame a lot of mess-ups at the beginning; there was and probably still is a steep learning curve for any newly starting engineers here - whats going to make it worth it for you is to become best-friends with your line of managerial engineers above you. If you can't do that, you cannot survive this company.

Mind you, all of this is Florida specific for Lane, not anywhere else within the company.
Pros
Time-Off, Sick-leave, Health Insurance.
Cons
Work/Life balance, Slow Promotions, Slow Raises.
Not a good company to work for
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2017
Unexperienced superintendants . Safety regulations not followed by upper management .they rush you to finish then cut your hours when they dont need you anymore. Would not recommend this company and discrimination if your not white ...
Pros
Good equipment and hard working coworkers
Cons
Upper management
a good place to work with good co workers
Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Hermon, MENovember 30, 2017
Good place to work, everyone works well together to try and produce a quality product. Not many clashes with other personalities which helps make the work less stressful
A great place to learn
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 20, 2017
Lane provides an enviorment to succeed and excel both professionally and academically. You never stop learning and you can make your own path. A family away from home.
Pros
20 Days vacation!
Newly Employed
Laborer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Southeastern USNovember 20, 2017
I recently started working her and love it. The work load can be stressful at times, but that's why its called work. My salary is fair and the crew I work with try to make the best out of bad situations. All in all I'm glad I got hired and intend on making a career here at LANE.
I would definitely recommend this company to people looking for work. Not everyone likes to work but if you do, this is the place.
Pros
Company truck, phone and laptop.
Cons
Long hours, and scheduling of projects needs improvement.
Great Company
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  USANovember 15, 2017
Very welcoming environment. Lane is continuously providing the opportunity to train and learn new skills. Benefits are competitive and are active soon after hiring.
Is a good place to work as long as there's work...
Heavy Construction Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Cheshire, CTNovember 14, 2017
When there are job sites to go to there is plenty of work. However, when jobs are short it was very hard to be away from home during the week and only home on the weekends.
Hands down, the best construction company in Florida
Traffic Control Supervisor /Foreman (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 30, 2017
Lane - Lakeland, Florida Division is primary asphalt with little new construction. On a typical day, you can average 12-16 hour work shift. What makes this location stand out is the way the field and office work together to achieve a common goal. By no means does this mean everyone sees eye to eye. But you do feel like your contributions are taking serious. It does not take long to feel like your apart of the Lane family. If I had not needed to relocate for family reason. I would have retired from Lakeland.
Pros
Hours, Friendly Enviroment, Family Orinated
Cons
Promotions from within are rare
Cut Throat Management
Estimator (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutOctober 5, 2017
They treat their people like nothing. Very poor communication and management style is unprofessional, Very corporate environment. Estimators are treated like garbage.They will use you until they are done with you.
Pay
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 24, 2017
Pay is good if you can get hours. You don't work alot of time because of the weather. That is the big downfall. It takes alot just to get advancement in the company.
Productive workplace with a strong safety culture and good people
US SR (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 7, 2017
The company has a strong safety culture and a deep caring for its people. Lane does the best they can to make sure all workers are happy and enjoying their work.
Pros
Good people
No work/life balance. Unfair pay for salaried workers. X
Project Estimator (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJuly 13, 2017
Expect to work no less than 50 to 60 hours per week and if you're on salary the page does not equal out fairly. They do offer excellent benefits and a great starting package as far as company vehicle and paid vacation time but watch out, I was told I would have three weeks of paid vacation after two years of working. Well when the time came for me to take time off, they told me I only have one week paid vacation and then I can only take a certain time of the year. They work their estimators of like slaves and they are a dime a dozen. It's a good working environment if you're ready to commit your entire life to the job expect to have no time to yourself. If you're ready to just work and not be able enjoy life out of work then this is a great job to have, but if you're looking for a nice a work/ social life balance I cannot say I recommend this place. It's a good job but they work you like a slave and you pretty much will live there until they decide to relocate you to New York or Vermont out of the blue
Pros
Goodbenefits, average starting pay, company vehicle
Cons
Salary workers can expect to work 60 hours per week every week and so I'm only get paid once a month, or once every two weeks at the least
okay
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 10, 2017
Good job with nice pay and plenty of overtime.
the staff is nice, and they are good at what they do.
The boss's are good to work for will help you out when needed
Fascinating World of Construction
Writer, Editor (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTJune 15, 2017
I felt fortunate to learn about the fascinating world of construction, the incredible importance of safety in the field and the many hardworking, wonderful people of Lane.
Good Company terrible pay
Human Resource Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 6, 2017
I was a regional manager and I was the lowest paid even though I had the biggest area. The regional leadership was great but the some of the corporate leadership lacked in their equality practices.
Poor Management
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, PURCHASING DEPT (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTJune 3, 2017
The work was challenging and interesting, but Management put so much unnecessary stress on the employees. Managing style of the 1970's does not work while trying to progress the company into the future.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, paid holidays and vacation time.
Cons
Negative management style.
Quiet
Intern (Summer) (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 1, 2017
Steady work flow and great compensation, but frankly it was a little dull. In the section I was in, every person was in their own office, and there was very little social interaction unless a deadline was approaching.
Great place to work with opportunities to grow and make a good carrier of it.
Piledriver (Former Employee) –  Goldenrod, FLJune 1, 2017
It's a great place to work. You have paid holidays. You work plenty of hours and they always have work weather it's driving pile or helping carpenters. Management is good they have fireman's who will go o er the job with you and teach you new things. I'd say the hardest part about it is the humidity. Other then that it's repetitive and. You work with great ppl who work side by side with you and work as a team including your foreman.