The LANE Construction Corporation Employee Reviews

There is NO culture or values. Apply elsewhere.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC / and CTJune 7, 2016
Once upon a time Lane purchased a good company (REA) but could not hold on to greatness. Probably the worst HR department ever !! Unseen, unheard with no purpose whatsoever. Just ask for the past 3 years turn-over in the HR department and you will find that the best people leave and the mediocre stay. Why leave when a company settles for the average HR person. Lane is a rudderless ship with no ethical or business compass.

I hope the new company that purchased Lane Construction will see that they will NEVER be profitable with a team of under achievers. Before you apply, research Lane and I hope you make the right decision. Winners no need to apply.
Pros
free food
Cons
Sinking ship with no compass
If you Value yourself.....Look Else Where
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hermon, MEMay 31, 2016
The management doesn't appreciate any of your hard work especially the District Management team in Maine. You work long hours (15-16 hrs a day), six possibly seven days a week. The only people who get any family time is upper management. You are required to live and breath Lane....If you have children, you get to watch them grow up in pictures. They will take and take from you and never give anything back. They only people who succeed at this company are the ones that use people, step on others to get ahead and like to brown nose. You do the work of four people and are compensated for half of a person. This company in Maine is guided by a bunch of selfish, lying, out for themselves, chauvinistic jerks.
Cons
District Management Team
Some Timming
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 17, 2016
workers could of been a little more respectful but life goes off I had a job task perform with that beenin said couldn't let nothing stop my performance and effort
Preductive workplace
Laborer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 1, 2015
What at work we always work until the job is finished. I have been learning to run heavy machinery and that we work no matter how hot or cold. The only time we do not work is when it rains. The management is pretty good; the co-workers are pretty nice and funny at times. The hardest part of the job is enduring the heat during the summer and the cold during the winter. We are outside the entire time we are at work. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to have a since of humor with the people I work with at times and being able to learn new things every day!
Pros
Fun environment, work with friendly people
Cons
Sometimes no lunches and work some weekends
Just awful
Service truck driver (Current Employee) –  Hancock, MaineJuly 20, 2015
Awful all around as a service truck driver you just wait for mainly 11 hrs a day on either the equipment, the plant or the people. The values are said but never anything more than that.
I was yelled at for coming to a job in the morning refueling the equipment because I was late reason why was that I drove the speed limit. They only give you 30 mins to get where you gotta be even if it's 1 hr away.
The people that you work with sailors look like saints. The only good position there that is great and really good job is in high management but anything under look for a different place to work
I am trying desperately to find another job not just closer to home but no longer dealing with the drama that goes on here
Pros
High pay
Cons
No life, bad management, and ignorant people
potentially a good place to work
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Cheshire, CTJanuary 20, 2015
I've worked here for 10 years and was happy for the most part. If you are willing to move with the company its a good place to go if not this company is not for you.
Pros
decent pay, good benefits
Cons
inexperienced management, having to move every few years
Applicants BEWARE !! Do your homework
Supervisor / mid Level Manager (Current Employee) –  NCNovember 21, 2014
Lane Construction has lost many project bids and there is a reason for it. High turnover, low morale, no advancement. Corporate Office is not in tuned with field workers. Lane ruined a great company (Rea Construction). So many fellow employees are looking elsewhere. Hoping to find another job soon, can no longer take this unberable environment. Just not healthy or worth it.
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
High turn-over / Company in financial trouble / Do not follow Company values.

Comment – March 10, 2016

Possibly the worst company I have ever worked for. The leadership team is so disconnected, HR is clueless, leadership are stuck in the 70's and you wonder why we don't get any projects?

Used to be a great company...
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 4, 2014
Was once a great company... things changed. Not enouph help on the paving crews. The plants are short handed. The QC department is strecthed thin. The average worker is being overworked. No time for a family life here outside of work unless you are upper managment or an engineer. Big layoffs a couple of years ago in the fields but none in mamagent. The projects are overstaffed with engineers. If your single have an engineering degree might be a place to work. But if not don't consider this place. Your just a number here.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
too many too list
Technical
QUALITY CONTROL ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, North CarolinaSeptember 23, 2014
show up to work
Management clueless to issues
Micro-managed by Business managers- no technical background
Co-workers disgruntled
hardest part is driving to work
enjoyable is going home at a reasonable time.
Pros
work truck
120 year old heavy civil construction company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  CheshireJuly 21, 2014
• management was easy to work with
• co-workers mostly had engineering backgrounds
Na
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 11, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to get out in the field.
Corporate America
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTNovember 11, 2013
After seven years I was laid off due to Lane having a bad year, my boss submitted a proposal to show how money could be saved so my job could be saved. The executive team declined. The executive team also did not change their spending habits in any way. 2014 is going to be their best year on record, but the Shareholders wanted more and more. there is no loyalty at Lane, they are all about #1 Lane.
construction
Environmental/Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 28, 2013
company is a heavy construction
oversees all environmental programs
Pros
leadership
Cons
communication
Think Twice,.....
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  485 CharlotteOctober 12, 2013
Serious issues with getting my pay right. Shorted me out of OT all the time. This could be a great job, however micro managing and shorting employees on their pay makes for rapid employee turnover. Nice people, but I can't eat nice. They have cranes that shouldn't even be on a job. They wanted me to put my CCO's on the line to run the most rundown cranes I've ever seen still in operation. Totally UN-Certifiable. Then on top of that, shorted me on my pay. When you got there in the morning, you had no clue when you might get off. I've heard other jobs were run much better. Superintendent seems to be stuck in the 70's. Slave driver mentality.
Pros
there are no pros
Cons
short checks, must be willing to give up any sign of a personal life.
Always ready for daily challenges associated with construction
Senior Job Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 16, 2013
Approve time for foremen daily, check installed quantities concerning bridge structures, pay sub-contractors monthly, submit materials for approval strictly matching plans and specification criteria, schedule work in field.
Pros
little travel
Cons
travel outside of dfw area
Slave Drivers
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 28, 2013
Work work work. Have no concern for your personnal life, no matter how much they claim thei "values". Will send you to the job furthest from your actual home, even if they have multiple jobs within 30 miles of your house.
Pros
pay
Cons
you have no pesonal life
White Bros / Lane Westbrook Maine
Operator (Current Employee) –  Westbrook / Portland, MEMarch 4, 2013
White Bros / Lane is new to southern Maine but has taken on big projects.
Pros
lots of room for growth.
Cons
nightwork
company is on the way up
project manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte NCJanuary 17, 2013
There are opportunities for advancement, if management favors you which is typical in corporate America.
Pros
opportunities, benefits
Cons
work life balance, may get thrown under the bus
Hard to get into, decent compensation, slow career growth
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTApril 29, 2012
Solicited quotes from suppliers and subcontractors on various mass transit, heavy highway civil construction projects throughout Eastern United States. Worked with project teams and permanent production sites in processing quotes, purchase orders, authorizing invoice payment. Inventoried and purchased goods and services for corporate headquarters.
Pros
decent compensation.
Cons
little or poor management training.