The Legal Aid Society Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Gain experience
Paralegal I (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 27, 2017
Very flexible, teaches you a lot and room to grow. The union fights for you and the benefits are great. There are flaws but the good out weight the bad
Extraordinary Workplace With Extraordinary People.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2017
Every day is a new challegne in the field, this challenge is cultrued in an envioronment that that encourages growth. When you're doing something you love and are trained for, the days are always rewarding, understandable, and serves as a positive catalyst for life's everyday changes.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Pressure on self due to the significance of the job.
Job/Internship
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2017
a fun experience nothing but best things. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to be a legal aid. To work there. Thanks Cassandra and Jennifer so much for making the job fun.
Good place for your first job
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
Legal Aid is a good place to start your career. I found that the work I did there did not challenge me as much as I would have liked, and things became monotonous after a while. In spite of that, I learned a ton and there is a good culture at Legal Aid.
Instructive
Paralegal 2 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
I learned the court process for the different areas of law while I was there so, I appreciate that opportunity. They also trained me in asking questions, and obtaining information from clients which I also appreciate. The hours were great.
Great dedicated staff
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2015
Staff is great and committed to offering free legal services to the poor of New York City.

Organization has too many different 'cultures' between headquarters and the borough offices.
A law firm
Trial Attorney (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2015
The Legal Aid Society's Criminal Practice is the largest public defender program in the country and serves as the primary provider of indigent defense services in New York City. The Criminal Practice handles a total of more than 230,000 cases each year with a staff of 800, including approximately 550 staff attorneys, supervising attorneys and management attorneys and nearly 270 social workers, investigators, paralegals, and support and administrative staff.
Excellent place to work, family friendly
Social Work Supervisor, The Kathryn (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 31, 2015
I have worked at Legal Aid for over ten years and have been very happy with the management and work/life balance. I have great co-workers and the management team is excellent. A typical day involves meeting with client, being in court, conducting field visits. I have learned a great deal about the child welfare system and the family court system. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the clients and advocating for them. the hardest part of my job is feeling frustrated with the slow motion of the system.
I gained a great deal of valuable experience.
Senior Trial Counsel (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2014
The experience I gained here helped shape me into the winning attorney I am today.
Great legal assistant experience
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Painesville, OHSeptember 8, 2014
I performed alot of research in the area of family law and foreclosures for the clients of my supervising attorney. I gained quite a bit of experience in client relations, conducting interviews, handling confidential client information, and memo and brief writing.

Want to know more about The Legal Aid Society?

Ask a question
Productive and awesome place to work and obtain extensive knowledge in the Criminal Defense arena
Paralegal II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2014
Awesome place to work and to learn extensively about the Criminal Defense arena.
Neccessary Services
Paralegal Case Handler (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 2, 2014
I worked as a Paralegal Case Handler with the Housing Help Program of Legal Aid Society for three years in the Brooklyn Neighborhood Office. This position, in which our unit prevented the evictions of thousands of Brooklyn residents, enabled me to use both my academic and professional skills in handling cases effectively and efficiently. I understand the pressures surrounding a fast paced work environment and working with a diverse clientele and colleagues.
Professional office environment.
Office Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 24, 2014
I was asked by individuals to print, fax and make copies of documents. I learned how to use fax and copy machines.
Productive and efficient
Paralegal/ Case Handler (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 14, 2013
My typical day varies from day to day. It is a low key work environment, the main objective is to assist clients with legal needs. Great staff.
Pros
Union 1199, Full benefits.
Cons
Love working for the organization
Criminal Defense Investigator (Former Employee) –  queens, new yorkNovember 12, 2013
Learn so much of the criminal justice system and was able to help many Lives...
Pros
Steady schedule
An outstanding company where I learn something useful every day.
Investigative Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2013
It is a rewarding experience that helps me expand my knowledge and get a better understanding on different aspects of the law and its implementation.
Legal Aid Society
AmeriCorps VISTA (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 20, 2013
Great Management, good co-workers, providing legal resources to Louisville and the surrounding area
Interesting place to work at. Friendly environment.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 8, 2013
A typical day include running errands to the court house, disposing or organizing paper work and case file for my supervisors, and following directions and orders. There were days I also sat in on court hearings, and cases, learning about the laws for foster care adolescents, and court room terminology, behaviours, and etiquette.
I enjoyed every aspect of this job, since it is extremely similar to my goal of becoming a lawyer.
Its a rewarding and great place to work
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2013
Over the years I've earned the respect of my colleagues, gained valuable experience in the field of law and expanded my knowledge. The services our organization provides is for low income people fighting against odds stacked against them in a more often than not unfair criminal justice system. Its very challenging but very rewarding helping those in need.
Great Place to Advance
Civil Unit Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 31, 2013
Had a great time as an intern in this place, management was great and very supportive.
Would recommend working here to anyone
Coworkers are very supportive.
Over all a great experience
Pros
opportunity to advance