The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Employer Reviews

Mission Oriented Great People
Senior Campaign Manager (Former Employee), Augusta, GeorgiaAugust 28, 2014
I worked for LLS for over 5 years. My managers were always very supportive and the leadership always kept the mission at the forefront of what we did. I had a GREAT experience working with LLS and continue to volunteer.
Productive and fast paced workplace
Senior Regional Controller (Current Employee), White Plains, NYAugust 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: employer 401 contribution reduced from 10% to 2.5%, job/ work life balance may be coming to an end, there is favoritism
Work with field and upper management and research and respond to their queries. Right now is year end and our Auditors are there. I am the liaison between the Auditors and staff ensuring the Auditors samples are provided to me timely.

I know how to multi - task and prioritize projects as well as learn new systems for report writing.

Management is – more... quick and sharp and to my knowledge leading the organization in the right path to keep to its mission.

I get along with my co-workers and know that we are a team and a team helps eachother so each player can get their job done timely and effectively.

The hardest part of the job is expecting others will respond right away to you and they do not. A quick response can be the key to making a deadline or completing something before its deadline.

The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day when I feel, Wow! I accomplished alot today! – less
Assistant in the Patient Access Department
Intern (Current Employee), Fresno, CAJuly 30, 2014
I began interning at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to gain experience as well as earn credits for a course at Fresno State. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly which made me comfortable in the office work setting. The atmosphere was very family oriented, educational, and supportive to anyone who needed help. During my first half of my time – more... there, I worked with the Patient Access Manager with daily tasks relating to emailing patients, volunteers, and planning the Cancer Survivorship Conference. My main task was to spread awareness about the event to patients and to the public. Since my course ended at Fresno state for the semester, I continue working at the office assisting in any tasks given by the Patient Access and the Team In Training Campaign Manager. – less
We are in it for the mission
Assistant Director, Event & Meeting Services (Current Employee), White Plains, NYJuly 28, 2014
Pros: pto, working with enthusiastic people
Cons: culture, work life balance, employee job satisfaction. morale
I have learned a variety of skills during my time at LLS. I have learned to navigate various kinds of software and valuable customer service skills. I have created connections with colleagues around the nation with people who are working toward creating a world without blood cancer.
It is a shame management is unconcerned with company morale, employee – more... job satisfaction or a good work / life balance for its employees. – less
The organization represents a mission that I am very passionate about.
Campaign Manager (Current Employee), Denver, COJuly 3, 2014
The organization represents a mission that I am very passionate about.
typical day
Accounting Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAJune 20, 2014
I come in and data enter all of our donations and gifts that we have received. I process the mail daily and make copies of those checks and create the deposits for them.
Productive and great work environment
Black Tie Ball (BTB) Mission Moment Intern (Former Employee), Shawnee, KSJune 3, 2014
Each day I worked on a powerpoint that would be shown at the annual Black Tie Ball event. We worked with several design and PR firms.
Good Mission
Manager (Current Employee), MidwestMay 8, 2014
Enjoyed having flexibility to creatively decide job goals and outcomes.
Great cause, awful place to work
Campaign Manager (Former Employee), HauppaugeApril 8, 2014
Pros: the cause, good benefits, decent salary
Cons: felt like working at a used car showroom. upper management is difficult to please
No one can argue with the cause. It is how LLS goes about raising funds and treating their staff that is the problem. LLS is not a family oriented, supportive place to work. The high turn over rate should speak for itself. Very long hours are EXPECTED and the norm. Nights and weekends and there is zero compensation, including any comp time. No quality – more... of life – less
Great organization/very poor management
Director of Community & Corporate Development (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMarch 30, 2014
Pros: great cause
Cons: poor upper-level managment
I think this organization would thrive with better chapter management in the Northern & Central Florida Chapter.
Fun, caring people working to end blood cancers.
Account Manager for the School and Youth Team (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 27, 2014
The group of men and women running and working in this office are truly dedicated people. The employees at LLS were welcoming and always quick to answer any question I had, even though I was just a summer intern. As I gained my position through the internship, I was already acquainted with the layout of the office, but started to take on more responsibility – more... with my paid position. Again, the staff and management were always approachable and willing to help me in anyway possible. I would like to thank LLS and their staff for setting such a great example of how to carry yourself in a professional atmosphere, and also showing me how to truly live out the mission of their organization. Their kindness and dedication is something I will never forget. – less
Productive and meaningful workplace
Campaign Assistant for Team in Training (Former Employee), San Jose, CAJanuary 24, 2014
Dedicated work towards a wonderful cause. The employees had high energy and were goal oriented. Anyone who chooses to work for this nonprofit organization will see that a lot of work and passion goes into every ounce of effort.
great environment for a non-profit organization
VICE PRESIDENT OF IT OPERATIONS & INFRASTRUCTURE (Current Employee), White Plains, NYJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: working toward the cure of cancer
Cons: non profit
never meet more passionate people who were effected by the cancer, and wanted to help others.

Truly inspirational, and very proud of distributing my business card with the company logo.
Rewarding and fun organization.
Volunteer running coach for Team in Training (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 10, 2014
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is a rewarding and challenging organization. My work experience included many areas including direct sales, fundraising, coordinating major and minor events, working with a variety of people in the community to increase awareness and support the cause to cure blood cancers.
the Leukemia And Lymphoma Society is a great place to work,
Campaign Assistant (Former Employee), NY, New YorkNovember 8, 2013
Pros: meeting wonderful people
Cons: losing someone to cancer
I would register participants to train for marathons and in return they would raise funds for the research of blood cancer, right now 90% of children survive blood cancer compare 4% back in the 60's. thanks to the caring people of this society I've learn to appreciate life. The hardest part of the job was seeing the sad faces of the people who just – more... found out they had Leukemia and the best was when we raised the funds for the research. Volunteering for the Ronald McDonald House was one of the best times for me, when we took the kids to City Field to meet the Mets was such an exciting feeling to see these kids enjoy the day. – less
Great Mission but Poor Leadership
Campaign Development Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 17, 2013
LLS was a great organization with also a very strong mission to find a cure for blood cancers. This was a great learning experience for me in non-profit for seven years, but nationally the organization has lost focus of its roots and developed poor leadership and support nationally.
Poorly managed, no appreciation for employees/volunteers, catty work environment
Campaign Manager (Former Employee), IndianaSeptember 6, 2013
Pros: compensation, benefits, patients & volunteers
Cons: management - local and at home office, coworkers, office culture
While the cause is great and getting to know patients and their families is very rewarding, the actual day-to-day operations and relationships leave much to be desired.

The female dominated work environment was incredibly catty, with an everyone-for-themselves mentality.
Directors, Managers and Coordinators are only concerned with the numbers for their – more... specific campaign, not the overall mission of LLS.

Top management was unprofessional, bordering unethical, while encouraging and participating in a culture of gossip and in the end, your numbers, even if they are outstanding, are secondary to whether or not you fit into this 'club'.

Salaries of other employees was shared, top sponsorship funds were diverted to campaigns other than the sponsor's intentions (without their knowledge), top volunteers were ignored, chastised, unappreciated and sometimes cast aside if the Executive Director simply did not like them, and she rarely attended major campaign events at the branch location. When she did attend, she'd stand in the corner, arms crossed, complaining of the food or gossiping instead of networking or thanking volunteers for their time and commitment. It was incredibly embarrassing.

This was the best and worst job I ever had, I would not recommend it to others. – less
Interacting with individuals eager to learn how to complete an endurance event while raising funds for research is challenging and rewarding.
Campaign Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2013
Pros: helping individuals overcome fears of fundraising and endurance training goals
Cons: long hours
A very demanding position that required problem solving, excellent customer service and motivational skills.
Very fast pace, multi events
Long Island Chapter Deputy Executive Director (Current Employee), Hauppauge, NYJune 17, 2013
There is not a typical day. Each day is different and involves multiple working with various levels of staff and volunteers.
Typical National Charity issues...
Campaign Director (Former Employee), TexasMay 30, 2013
Pros: ed's to busy to mico-manager
Cons: unsupportive national office, pushed and did not listen
I was responsible for the walk program in a major market. Day to day was great, the volunteers and board as well. Typical "top down" aggressive management who pushed for more and more. Staff issues never solved ( typical unsupportive-scared of being sued HR).. staff was not heard, not respected. Its a great place to get started and learn but no longer – more... term growth.
I would not pick LLS if you are expecting growth or recognition. you are only as good as your last big" win" then you are pushed aside until you have another. – less