The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Employee Reviews

Very rewarding place to work
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 20, 2017
Great experience. Hardest part of the job was having to create events with very little resources. Every day was different depending on the campaign I was working on.
fyn
Campaign Coordinator, Light the Night Walk (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 11, 2017
inventory control for $1 million-budget high-impact community fundraising
events in Fort Lauderdale and Miami, meeting key fundraising goals.
¥ Assisted full-time staff with data management for Fort Lauderdale and Miami events.

¥ Directed in-bound and out-bound communication with all chapter event participants and key donors.

¥ Spoke on behalf of Leukemia & Lymphoma Society as Honored Hero in multiple community outreach
opportunities.
¥ Manage a million dollar budget within a team of 5
Important mission
Outreach Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 4, 2017
Important focus and mission. Intense environment with unhappy manager made for a stressful work environment. Nice to have flexible work hours and the expectations of the job were very specific which was helpful. Met some very hard working and nice people there.
Pros
flexible hours
Great atmosphere that allows for creative contribution
Manager, Education Programs (Current Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYDecember 14, 2016
The gift of giving to families of those affected by a blood cancer is a job that you will always be proud of. I've participated in planning, preparation, and editing of videos and telephone/web programs used by hundred of thousands of families in search of information about themselves or a loved one affected by a blood cancer. Truly an honor to be on the side fighting cancer.
great work life balance
Senior Campaign Manager, Student Series (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2016
great work life balance. great benefits, vacation days, sick days and life outside of work.

Company is not good at keeping people around for long, lots of turnover and they don't help the employees who stick around.
Mission impossible
Campaign Manager- Team in Training (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 13, 2016
I spent four years working with LLS. and while they promised career advancement and opportunity, they never delivered. They higher young women out of college and never once promoted a person over 30 in any job opening. If you want to bust your but for a great mission but have no career advancement then by all means work for LLS. They made cut back after cut back while I worked here and expected bigger and better results. They lack leadership and direction in the offices and tend to hire underdeveloped managers who do not know how to lead.
Pros
great mission, benifits and paid holidays
Cons
They pay way under living wadge for the work they expect you to do
Mission Oriented, but things don't make sense
Campaign Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTNovember 29, 2016
Working at LLS is very rewarding in the sense that a good percentage of every dollar raised does go back to he mission. LLS goes wrong in the way that the treat their employees. Long hours, not enough support, high demands, and a lot of person time has to be given up.

They also like to take advantage of young adults and pay them less than the older staff.
Pros
Good benefits, a lot of time off
Cons
management, national office, materials not on time
Mission oriented and goal based
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJune 15, 2016
Employees managed people who were fundraising for the organization. Because of the line of work, we had emotional ties towards our mission of finding a cure for blood cancers. We worked long hours, weekends and traveled every five months to take teams of people to their events.
Pros
Traveling, people oriented, mission based, fundraising for a cause
Cons
no work/life balance because it was your entire life, all the time.
Much growing pains and lack of leadership
Market Development Director (Current Employee) –  Northeast FloridaJuly 6, 2015
LLS is an incredible organization that does important life-saving work; however, the internal workings are a bit rusty. CEO is great, but many middle managers and executive directors that lack leadership and people skills.
Pros
Feel good about doing something good
Cons
Everyone's struggling to keep up with the changes and direction.
Great Learning Experience
Marketing/Event Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJune 20, 2015
Got a great hands on internship of what it is like to work in an office. Learned about the work and time that goes into a charity event.
dynamic organization
Vice President, Research Business Development (Former Employee) –  White Plains NYApril 8, 2015
A lot is going on and change is imminent. The organization is not what it was ten years ago and will be different next year too.
Coaching
Marathon Coach, Independent Contractor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 19, 2015
Enjoyable, small pay as a coach volunteering to coach runners to complete marathons/half marathons as they raised money for LLS.
Great Environment
Senior Campaign Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 9, 2015
Enjoyed learning and growing with company.A lot of opportunity for growth. The CPA chapter has a great atmosphere and friendly environment. Goals are very high while working with LLS. Constantly need to find ways to reinvent or refresh campaigns.
Great non-profit to work for!
Senior Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 18, 2014
I loved the passion of the volunteers and employees at LLS! Such a fulfilling job!
Great mission, difficult transitions
Director (Current Employee) –  Southeast RegionSeptember 16, 2014
PROS: Great mission-focused organization.

CONS: Regional realignment of organization has caused layoffs, reduced resources, and extremely long hours for all staff.
Mission Oriented Great People
Senior Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GeorgiaAugust 28, 2014
I worked for LLS for over 5 years. My managers were always very supportive and the leadership always kept the mission at the forefront of what we did. I had a GREAT experience working with LLS and continue to volunteer.
Productive and fast paced workplace
Senior Regional Controller (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYAugust 14, 2014
Work with field and upper management and research and respond to their queries. Right now is year end and our Auditors are there. I am the liaison between the Auditors and staff ensuring the Auditors samples are provided to me timely.

I know how to multi - task and prioritize projects as well as learn new systems for report writing.

Management is quick and sharp and to my knowledge leading the organization in the right path to keep to its mission.

I get along with my co-workers and know that we are a team and a team helps eachother so each player can get their job done timely and effectively.

The hardest part of the job is expecting others will respond right away to you and they do not. A quick response can be the key to making a deadline or completing something before its deadline.

The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day when I feel, Wow! I accomplished alot today!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Employer 401 contribution reduced from 10% to 2.5%, Job/ work life balance may be coming to an end, there is favoritism
Assistant in the Patient Access Department
Intern (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 30, 2014
I began interning at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to gain experience as well as earn credits for a course at Fresno State. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly which made me comfortable in the office work setting. The atmosphere was very family oriented, educational, and supportive to anyone who needed help. During my first half of my time there, I worked with the Patient Access Manager with daily tasks relating to emailing patients, volunteers, and planning the Cancer Survivorship Conference. My main task was to spread awareness about the event to patients and to the public. Since my course ended at Fresno state for the semester, I continue working at the office assisting in any tasks given by the Patient Access and the Team In Training Campaign Manager.
We are in it for the mission
Assistant Director, Event & Meeting Services (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 28, 2014
I have learned a variety of skills during my time at LLS. I have learned to navigate various kinds of software and valuable customer service skills. I have created connections with colleagues around the nation with people who are working toward creating a world without blood cancer.
It is a shame management is unconcerned with company morale, employee job satisfaction or a good work / life balance for its employees.
Pros
PTO, working with enthusiastic people
Cons
culture, work life balance, employee job satisfaction. Morale
The organization represents a mission that I am very passionate about.
Campaign Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 3, 2014
The organization represents a mission that I am very passionate about.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9