The Living Desert Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Beloved cummunity non profit - internal issues
Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAMay 4, 2017
While I believed in the mission statement and the conservation efforts, the work environment, at least in development, was tumultuous. 5 Development Directors in 4 years. Board was old and staid and reluctant to move forward. Major donors dwindled and pipeline of younger and innovative donors very low due to control of a handful of founding board members/major donors.

Of the five development directors, two in particular were verbally abusive and demanding. Four were either dismissed or chose to leave for other non profit. I found it to be a toxic environment as a development professional, but the zoo was doing great things in other areas. I had great respect for the Park Services, Education and Conservation Directors.
Pros
Global conservation focus, beloved local non profit, animals and desert landscape beautiful, animal staff is compassionate and fabulous at what they do
Cons
Low paying, marginal benefits for high expectation and many extracirricular hours.
Fun job, always something different going on.
Admissions Clerk/Giraffe Feeding Cashier (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAFebruary 25, 2017
I love this job, its a beautiful place to work and filled with great people to work with. My manager has always been extremely understanding when it came to my school schedule and that's a huge bonus!
Management was no good at to much drama
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAAugust 15, 2014
I loved being a zookeeper and most of the people were nice but i couldn't take the drama from the others. pay is not competitive. huge turn around rate.