The Local Pages, Inc Employee Reviews in United States

Outside sales, meeting quotas. Frequent travel.
Yellow Page Ad Sales (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 15, 2016
Meeting with new and current customers to determine their advertising for yellow pages. Travel to different areas often. I really got to know more about particular businesses. Most interaction with management was mainly by phone.
Pros
You can earn as much as you are willing to work.
Cons
Traveling for prolonged periods of time.
Decent Place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake CityAugust 4, 2015
When I first went there, I wasn't too impressed with the building, as it is extremely run down.
I was hired on to be the receptionist, and to be honest, I did love being the receptionst, although the pay was terrible.
I was promised after 60 days I would get reevaluated for a raise.
Two months after being the receptionist, I went to the delivery department.
I had hopes my pay would go up, as I'd be doing multiple different things now.
Well, that didn't happen.
I was now making EMP Sheets, Pallet Tags, Filing, Organizing the library, handling all outgoing mail, managing the supply closet, and multiple other things,
For what I was doing, I should have been making way more than $10 an hour.
And after seeing how much this company does make off of the books, I find it pretty absurd for what they pay the employees, especially because their aren't many of them.
Pros
Awesome people.
Cons
Extremely low pay
Shock...people who can't sell don't make money working commission only
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  OR, WAFebruary 11, 2015
To the people that complained about the travel, pay and expenses were you not paying attention when you were interviewed? Was this all not explained in the advertisement you responded to?

I worked for the company for years and would still be there had my spouse not been transferred to a state where they do not produce directories. From the ad to the interview all details were itemized, all negatives were brought up, all positives were explained and I had a decision to make. I chose to work for a company where I got rewarded when I did my job, paid weekly, left alone to work how I chose and given leads (NO COLD CALLING). If you are looking for a free-ride, and I saw plenty of those types when I worked there, this is not the company for you. However, if you have an average work ethic and the knowledge/ability to create your own presentation and overcome objections you will make a killing with this company.

It is really easy to anonymously write a negative review about a company who terminated an individual because the individual was not what they made themselves to be when they interviewed. You, anonymous reviewer, are probably a good first date but horrible in a relationship because you don't listen and then complain when the other person holds you to the expectations that they told you they would. How about taking responsibility for your own choices instead of always being the victim, you probably said you were a good sales person and obviously that wasn't the case.

If anyone works hard and can sell an easy to sell product this company is the right company and from what I
  more... understand things are getting better. When I was there they paid up to 30% commission on new sales, from what my contacts there still tell me know they pay up to 50% on those same accounts.

TLP please come to Indiana so I can work for you again!!
Pros
high commissions, weekly paychecks, no cold-calling
Cons
not nationwide only in west
Been here for 6 months so far
Book Manager (Current Employee) –  New MexicoFebruary 11, 2015
have been working with The Local Pages for 6 months now, I have transitioned from Sales rep to Book Manager to now. I am making 6 figures currently and could not imagine working for anyone else.
Cons
Pros
love my quarterly manager bonus
Growing Company
Business to Business Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 11, 2015
The hrs are perfect! The company is very generous with its pay structure. Your pay check is as big as you want to make it! Great support from leadership! The team meetings and conference calls are very encouraging and uplifting with allot of teachings on how to be the best you can be! Fantastic support through out the company!

I honestly can not think of room for improvement! This company is very well structured and the employees continue to grow together!
Advice to Management

Advancing in this company is what they encourage! They will help you reach any goal or advancement that you desire! This can definitely be a life time career!
Pros
love my team that i work with.
Show me the money!
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  IdahoFebruary 11, 2015
Managers help you find success, but you still have your own freedom and flexibility to plan your day and your schedule. You do need some self discipline. If you can work a full day and you can make some very good money!

Depending on your personal situation the travel can be the most difficult part of the job, but the income can definitely help overcome that challenge.

Keep doing what you are doing to help grow the company and provide more opportunities for the outside sales team. The new commission plan is awesome!
Pros
compensation package was wonderful
Happy Employee
Book Manager (Current Employee) –  Oregon CoastFebruary 11, 2015
have been in the company for 3 years, Great team to work with. You can make as much money as you want and you get to travel around and work in different areas. The company has a Great support team to help you with everything you need. Come and join us, you'll love it.
Pros
room for growth, promotions, and advancement
Cons
non
Great Company to work for
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Victoriville CaliforniaFebruary 11, 2015
I started working for the Local Pages back in June. When I first started it was a little bit of a adjustment just because I had never sold before. But between the training I received at their corporate office and the on going training I receive in the field. I have been able to transition quickly and now I am making more in commission every week than I have ever made in a week before...

I can see how if you had younger children that required you to be home everyday. This could possibly not be a good fit with all the traveling during the year. I am single and all my kids are grown so I have the freedom to travel.
Pros
great pay package, great company culture
Cons
non that i can think of
A workplace that allows for total autonomy, the skies are the limit!
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Texas, New Mexico and Colorado.January 30, 2015
A typical day on duty at The Local Pages is never a dull moment, it is challenging and full of excitement. You are constantly challenged by customers, your team and leadership as well as circumstances to continue learning to be the best at what you do. The most difficult part of the job at times are trying to assist customers that just do not have the means financially to advertise with TLP. If you have a lofty financial goal you are seeking to reach, then you must consider employment at The Local Pages.
Pros
seeing and experiencing different places and not having to pay for your lodging and meals.
Job was in Outside sales
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 6, 2015
My job was to provide advertising to new and existing businesses. I learned that first impressions meant everything . Management was good as well as co-workers. The hardest part of this job was to close the sale to unsure customers. I really enjoyed talking to different people daily.
Pros
free meals
Cons
traveling though out the state

Want to know more about The Local Pages, Inc?

Ask a question
Great Company to Work For
National Corporate Sales Trainer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake CityDecember 1, 2014
I have been working for the company going on 7 years now. I am currently their Corporate National Sales Trainer & Recruiter. I wanted to take time out to give you a description of the job and of the company. My primary focus is to single out the positive and negative reviews you will find not only on this web site but also on glass door. Because the first thing everyone does when searching out new employment is to research the company they are applying for. On Indeed you will find 20 reviews dating back for the last 3 years. On Indeed out of the 20 reviews you will find only 7 are positive and the rest are negative. On Glass door you will find 23 reviews dating back 2 years. On Glass door out of the 23 reviews you will find 10 that are positive and 13 that are negative. Now The Local Pages has been in business for 17 years, we have had a profitable increase every single year. We currently as a company have had over a 3 million dollar increase in business both in 2013 and in 2014. So when you read or hear that Yellow Pages are dead or they are being replaced with digital product, unfortunately that is incorrect. Honestly what separates us from our competitors is that we offer advertising to businesses at a affordable rate. Our directories are smaller because we allow the business owner the opportunity to pick and choose which markets they would like to advertise in. Verse our competitors that make bigger phone books that cover 2 to 3 areas in one book, plus they charge about 4 times as much for advertising. Now from a business owners perspective, if they are not getting three  more... times the amount verse what they invested. They will look for other avenues for advertising. So because we believe advertising should be affordable we have over a 86% retention rate for clients renewing with us year after year. Currently we have over 100 sales professionals selling in 13 states, mostly mid western. Half of those sales professionals have been with us over 4 plus years. We also have over 170 employees in our corporate office located in Salt Lake City. Which 130 of them have been with the company over 6 years. Unfortunately we will hire employees as outside sales professionals and they sell themselves on being able to preform the job functions required. What I mean by that is, this is a selling job. It will require you to be away from home 75% of the year. This is stated not only during the interview but also in every job description found on every job site. So unfortunately reps will quit for two primary reasons, mostly within the first 3 to 4 weeks. 90% of the reason is the travel. I wish out of our 270 plus happy satisfied employees who have been employed with us, could take the time out to create a account on Indeed or Glass door (which requires you to upload a resume) and leave a positive review of the company. This may change your opinion on reasons why you may pass on the job based on a total of 23 reviews from prior employes who didn't stay very long with the company. Verse the 270 plus happy employees who mostly have been employed over 5 plus years or longer. You be surprised lol how hard it can be to get a current employee to leave a review verse the one employee who quit and will take the time out to get a negative one. Now to address the pay that I have read in some of these reviews, during the interview process and during training we review the two different pay scales a sales professional can choose from. Salary plus commission or Full commission, we do suggest that if you have never sold Yellow Pages before to take the salary plus commission. This will guarantee a paycheck every Friday, giving you time to meet with your clients and set up appointments and build up a pipeline. Now the way our commission structure is designed it is obviously more profitable to be full commission. Just because the commission % is twice as much, and because we will pay you the commission on the full contract sale within two weeks. It does not take but a few sales a week to have a profitable commission check. We offer bonuses and incentives to all sales reps, and we are really big with hiring within when it comes to promoting our sales professionals into managerial roles. I hope this helps your decision when considering employment with The Local Pages. I only hope you don't make a decision on employment based off of 23 total bad reviews. Honestly you could look up any other creditable company, I.E. like Walmart, or Target and find more bad reviews that you will find for our company. But that doesn't mean those companies are not worth working for and making a career.  less
Pros
room for growth and advancement within the company, great pay, and a no cap commission structure
Typical over promise with possible hugebenefits
Advertising Consultant-outside sales rep (Former Employee) –  ArizonaSeptember 10, 2014
I worked for TLP for 3 months. I was flown into Salt Lake City for one week of training...basically it's shoved down your throat. Unless you have done something like this before then you will feel lost to a degree. Yes, I understood what I was supposed to do...sell. Go business to business with leads provided. Only bad thing is print is being phased out due to the internet. I can see where the "Baby-boomers" still use the yellow pages but at the same time if they are business savvy they will also use the internet. TLP does have a GO'N'Find app powered by Google...but it is it's own app...if it were powered by Google's regular search it would be easier to sell. Compared to the larger yellow page books out there, it does seem that TLP's prices are very comparable. The bad thing is when making the contracts out and inputting the information on the contract if it is undersold which I wasn't told about during training the commission you were expecting never transpired. I was on the Tier 1 compensation plan which is $400.00 a week. Then I switched to straight commission. If you make no sales then you do not get paid. Leads are provided for you and renewal contracts but it is difficult to sell them and re-sell them when the price increases...if it were the 5% they wanted for increases no problem, but when the increases they wanted were 234% and higher then even if you did sell the new contract at a 25% mark up then you would only make 5% instead of 20% commission. Positive note is you are paid weekly. I really enjoyed my co-workers...the manager is a very nice guy but didn't really  more... look over your contracts to make sure they were completely correct so you wouldn't have charge backs/under sold contracts and so on. I feel like TLP still owes me money on contracts I sold and made them money. I worked day in and day out and drove all over...to me not being reimbursed some sort of gas is idiotic...so I guess I'm an idiot for accepting the job...so be it...but I feel like everything I learned or was taught was incorrect...I was not paid on trades...no one said that trades had to have money attached to the contract to be paid...I was told the ladder...so If I made a trade worth $1200.00 I should have been paid on the $1200.00. There also wasn't food trade when I went out to the locations I was assigned to as well as over night places to stay either...I was informed during training that there were plenty of both...LIE! Hardest part of the job is staying overnight somewhere when your married and not having your spouse with you...most enjoyable part of the job is making your own schedule. I learned that if you don't have an out going personality even if you do work hard to convey your message to sell advertising that you will not succeed. This is a prefect job for a younger or older person with no immediate family...i.e. Kids, being married and so on.  less
Pros
make your own work schedule
Cons
lying about contracts and compensation
Love working for this company
Outside sales for New Mexico (Former Employee) –  new MexicoApril 28, 2014
I used to work for the company back in 2013, It is a traveling sales job so it takes the right type of personality and character to work business to business sales. I enjoyed it and make a good living doing it. I was paid weekly and always took home over a grand a week.
Pros
great pay, and since of freedom, no micro managing
Great Income Potential, Good Benefits
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  NW IdahoMarch 25, 2014
The Local Pages is a great company to work for. Very Positive. I made good commissions and benefits were ok. There is huge potential to make a lot of money. I enjoyed the travel and the good food at the restaurants we had trade at. I didn't like some of the people I worked with because they complained about everything…..some of them shouldn't have been working for this company because they didn't have the motivation to work and had a very negative attitude.
I had to leave because of a previous injury.
If you are a self-starter and motivated to make money and ok with travel, you will like The Local Pages.
Pros
great income potential, positive atmosphere
This is a company that, unfortunately hasn't a very good future.
ADVERTISING CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Southern UtahFebruary 10, 2014
This company expects its employees to go door to door at businesses trying to sell yellow page advertising. Their product is being quickly replaced by the internet, but they insist on charging very high prices to put ads in a book that nobody uses any more.
It is very hard work requiring long hours and giving very low compensation.
Fun, Interesting, Positive , Great Training
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  ORJanuary 23, 2014
This job is fun and I like the freedom of working outside in sales. This company rewards you for your work. They give you the necessary tools and a lot of support. I like the positive atmosphere. Yes I have to travel but I enjoy it. I like seeing the different businesses and building relationships. I like that we are provided leads and have protected areas
Pros
uncapped income, potential for bonuses, good support
We had a good staff and a very good Regional Manager.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 21, 2014
We worked together out of town and returned home every evening selling ads for a small phonebook out of Utah that was produced for small towns in Ohio. It was a good job with good people to work with and for.
Hate the company!!
Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  ColoradoNovember 8, 2013
I accepted the job offer after a phone interview. Never again will I accept a job based on 1 phone interview. The company made many promises. I was given the hardest leads to try to sell. I was not able to make a sale so I was told that they didn't "think it was working for either of us" and I was let go. Plus I did not receive my base pay for the 2 weeks that I worked in the field.
was a great place to work until economy
sales manager (Former Employee) –  slc utAugust 9, 2013
lost 40% of income and while had to charge more to customers in bad economy
Nice to have a job
Book Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 24, 2013
Another notch for my advertising back ground..phone books. Became manager withing 7 months. Business to business selling and managing accounts. Also manage sales team, keep them close to each other because this job requires traveling most of the time.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
too much traveling away from home, overall benefits are very poor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Local Pages, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.