The Marker Group Employee Reviews

Great place for hard workers
Management (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2017
Not for the coast-along, fly-by-night employee. Dedication, integrity, & positivity are requirements for any position here. Hard work is recognized, appreciated, & rewarded regardless of the task - scanning, calling, processing, client contact, reporting. Zero-tolerance for bare-minimum, uninspired, &/or poor-quality work. You get out of the job what you put in, plain & simple.

Layoffs are an unfortunate reality for any business, but here they are usually temporary albeit frequent due to the cyclical nature of the beast (legal cases).

During my 8 years with Markers, I (along w/several co-workers) have been provided with endless support & opportunities to flourish. Prove yourself an asset & you will be valued as such. Again, you get out what you put in.
Pros
Fast-paced, unique environment; always learning; business-savvy management; company stability (30+yrs); benefits
Cons
Sometimes the vending machines take your money, but the vending dude refunds you
You are in control of your own career.
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2017
At Marker Group, you are in control of your own career. If you show up every day, arrive on time, work while you are being paid, do the best you can do, be friendly, and perform the tasks requested, then you will succeed.

If you don't, you won't. It is that simple.

Do you want to build a career? Be a valuable employee.
Do you want to avoid being laid off? Be a valuable employee.
Do you want to stay long-term? Be a valuable employee.

It is up to you.
Pros
Very affordable full benefits package after 60 days, clearly-set expectations, monthly department luncheons and birthday cupcakes.
Cons
People expect to be paid for goofing off. Then, they complain when they are asked to work.
Great place to work with room for advancement!
Case Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2017
The Marker Group is a wonderful place to work. The pay and benefits are great! I've made many long-lasting friendships over the years. I have worked there almost 10 years and plan on being there until I retire. The Marker Group is always looking for great employees. If you have what it takes you will be brought on permanent and compensated accordingly. I've seen many employees work their way up in the company. I'm one of them! If you are a hard-worker and truly care about your company and take pride in your work you will be at The Marker Group for years to come!

Yes there are layoffs from time to time. Sometimes our workload decreases and some employees are let go. More times than not the best of them are brought back within weeks.
Pros
Room for Advancement, great pay and benefits
Review
LOR Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasMay 7, 2017
It is a job. It is not a bad job; however, it is not very stable. They have a lot of lay offs often. The pay is not enough and although they give annual raises it is not very much. They do not take into account your level of education or experience either.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
May 18, 2017

There are many employees who have been with Markers for 10, 20 or even 30 years. There are occasional layoffs yes but usually they are short-lived and most of the time we quickly bring back the better employees.
The pay is commensurate with ones performance and there is room for growth.

Unstable place to work
Cas Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2017
The pay is very good but the management has racial issues and they hire lots of people at one time and lay everyone off within a year. There is no jo security and if you need a day off to take care of personal business it is held against yo even when you have PTO available. I do not recommend this job.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Manaement
May 8, 2017

We've have numerous employees who are celebrating their 20 to 30 years of employment with our company. The Marker Group is a very stable place to work and a great place to grow! Yes we do have layoffs from time-to-time due to the workload. Many of these employees are brought back within a week or two when the work picks up. The Marker Group is an equal employment opportunity employer.

productive workplace
Legal Claim Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2017
Contacts healthcare providers, clients, and management team for information as needed. Escalates complex healthcare provider and client situations and offers value added solutions. Uses problem solving and analytical skills to resolve so that issues do not repeat.
Effective use of time management skills to meet varying deadlines.
Pros
Exciting Workplace
Cons
Healthcare
NOT a great place to work!
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 30, 2017
This job sucked big time! I only had 3 days of training instead of two weeks. Upper management is snobbish and hates when you ask questions. They expect you to know everything! If they don't like you, trust me they will let you know by firing you, which is what happened in my case. Employees were OK. Some had their little 'cliques' though. I'm glad that I'm a business owner now. Please for your sake and sanity, you would do better by finding a job that really appreciates their employees!
Pros
Work hours, office environment
Cons
High turnovers, horrible upper management, pay wasn't great
May 8, 2017

The training depends on what position you are hired for. Most employees do very well with our training. We even have had several employees go through training on more than one occasion. We have had many people work their way up very quickly in The Marker Group. Some are now in management. It's a great place for advancement and growth!

Decent Place To Be
Case Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2017
Decent place to work. A good place to form good relationships with co-workers. Turnovers occur regularly, but that is the nature of this type of business. When work is slow, there are layoffs. Overall, this company is a good place to work.
Productive and high intentisty work enviroment
Receptionist/General Office/ Accounts Receivable (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2017
A normal work day would consist of communicating extensively with clients via emails and fax.
The workplace is fun and filled with positivity.
Nice company to work for but lots of layoffs
Case Investigator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 13, 2017
The Marker Group was a great company to work for, however there is not adequate training, you basically train yourself and follow protocols from a sheet of paper that's printed out for you.
Pros
Good pay and a good learning experience
Cons
Lots of layoffs
Very unprofessional and high turnover
Case Investigator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2016
The owner of The Marker Group is quite a pleasant person, however, she needs to look into the type of people running her company. It was a very unprofessional atmosphere and they terminate you for no reason.
Very Unprofessional
Case Investigator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2016
Not a great place to work, if you're desperate for a job apply. There is no formal training, you're provided sheets of paper to work by, and just thrown out to complete the work. Lay offs are very normal. Most supervisors are not well trained, therefore they don't train, some are very stand offish and unapproachable. Not a horrible place to work, but not a good place either.
Pros
Dress Codes
Cons
lay Offs
Great company
Case Investigator (Former Employee) –  HoustonJune 16, 2016
I enjoyed my time very much at the marker group. Loved my coworkers, and loved the environment. Some what fast paced but once you get the hang of it, not hard at all. Great benefits, and flexible scheudle
Pros
Work environment
Cons
lay offs
Management is untrustworthy
Customer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
The company would be very good but the management is horrible. There is no confidentiality. The owner of the company is awesome but not really hands-on anymore and the management team will fire you or set you up if you are not pleasing to them. The environment is ok but you can't talk alot or get to know your co-workers very well. Talking is to be kept to a minimum. You can't get too comfortable or plan on retiring from the company because lay-offs are the norm and or if your manager doesn't like you then it can be rough. It's a laid back environment with a little roughness around the edges
Pros
dress code
Cons
management
May 8, 2017

We have numerous employees who have been with our company over 20-30 years. The Marker Group can certainly be a company you can retire from. It is required that employees work and keep visiting to a minimum. We have many employees who all work in close proximity to one another and it's just common courtesy to keep our work environment professional.

Working every minute to get more bang for their buck.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2015
Co-workers not your race were very standoffish and unfriendly. Break times & lunch constantly looking at their phones and not wanting to establish relationships. A lot were just rude and had no manners.
Management was constantly watching everyone to make sure everyone was working and if they made too many mistakes or talked too much they were terminated.
Not a fun place to work, but when you are desperate you will put up with a lot of restrictions.
Pros
Steady work if you perform.
Cons
Work area was crammed with people and computers. No privacy.
May 8, 2017

The Marker Group strives for a professional yet laid-back work environment. Yes it's true we expect our employees to keep mistakes to a minimum. We care about our clients and take great pride in our work product. The Marker Group is a great place to work and there is a lot of room for advancement for the right candidates.

Decent, clean, productive place to work
Temp (Former Employee) –  HoustonAugust 15, 2015
The environment at Marker is very relaxed, quiet, and clean, but the nature of the work requires attention to detail and steady processing because it's legal in nature and has time constraints. If you have the personality to enjoy working in an environment as described, working at Marker would be quite ideal. Management does appreciate hard work, but shows very little tolerance for repeated insubordination... some have been quite disruptive from my experience there and they were given the opportunity to acquiesce and return to their duties but refused and were let go for this reason. It is a family owned business and as such does come with all the minuses that pertain and are common to working for a family, but those issues also exist in non-family owned settings... things such as favoritism and nepotism exist everywhere, and would probably exist in a place of business of my own. It seems people have forgotten that when we are given a job we are expected to work in order to earn the income offered and that complaining about it is not going to change the fact that the work still needs to be done timely and correctly. Many workers that came in there came with strange work ethics, I saw and heard much inappropriate and unwarranted negativity from temps and as a temp myself, I found it quite appalling, it made me think, 'what did you think having a job was supposed to be like'???
Pros
Relaxed, quiet and clean, and very friendly/kind staff
Cons
No pot lucks, not everyone is inclined to being kind or friendly but that's everywhere
no comments
Expediting Point of Contact/Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasAugust 3, 2015
High turn over rate, but good while you are there. It has its ups and downs. The best part about it is the surrounding restaurants. I ate a lot while working there.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Not a career
Its a great place to work, employers and staff are very friendly and upbeat
Legal Case Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasJuly 29, 2015
Its a great company to work at, thrie work hours are great and the staff are very supportive and flexible. I have worked here for a temporary assisngment and the work ethic in the place is nice. They are very supportive for the new hires and training was a breeze.
Pros
Free parking, a great location
Do not work here!!!!!!
CI Asst (Former Employee) –  HoustonJuly 28, 2015
Never in my life have I worked for such an unprofessional company!! When you begin you're a temp and will stay a temp until they want you permanent and so I was told you still may not be able to work overtime. Outdated system, unprofessional staff, horrible training. Just an all around bag place to work. Only stayed because it was full time other than that...STAY AWAY!!!!!!
May 8, 2017

At The Marker Group we strive to have the best employees who care about our company and our clients. Employees who show us they have what it takes - a good personality, good work ethic and want to learn - will be brought on permanent if the workload allows. We actually go the extra mile and provide benefits to all employees - temp and perm! Markers is a great place to build a career. We have employees who have been with our company for 20-30 years!

Extremely unprofessional, Nepotism run wild
Case Investigator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2015
Horrible mismanagement by inexperienced and unprofessional project managers, extremely high employee turnover rate, questionable hr tactics, and rampant nepotism (the entire Marker family works there).
Pros
None!
Cons
Plenty!
May 8, 2017

The Marker Group has layoffs from time to time. It's the nature of our business. Most of the time the employees we lay off we call back within a few weeks when work picks up. The Marker Group is a family owned company. It's a great place to work and the owners take great care of their employees. Many of our management team has worked their way up in the company. Pay and benefits are great! Numerous employees have been with the company over 20 years!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Marker Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8