The Martin Agency Employee Reviews

No Leadership
Planning Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 5, 2017
The Martin Agency has many amazing, talented employees. Unfortunately the complete lack on upper management, is now showing real world consequences. There is no vision, no plan of attack, no leadership in general.
Benefits
Cons
Work Life Balance, Career Growth, Sexism
More hype than real thing
Senior Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 7, 2017
I have never been to a place more political and pretends to be genuine and yet is completely manipulative. I found management in the Creative department untrustworthy. They will tell you what you want to hear, but will do little for you or back it up with action. Your lack of advancement will always be your fault, never there's even when you do all the things they tell you to do, you will be given a new things you haven't done. They use niceness to make you work hard with no reward at the end. Be cautious.
Pros
Does do good work.
Cons
Old school. Less relevant every year. Only a TV shop.
Some of the best work at Martin
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 27, 2017
- if you want a job where every day is different - advertising is for you. No such thing as a typical day!
- the frequent long hours, nights and weekends were the hardest part of the job
- the people were the best part of the job - some of my best friendships were forged at the Agency
Work Hard, Play Hard
Associate Planning Director (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 7, 2017
A typical day at The Martin Agency is anything but typical. It's a fun and inclusive environment in which to work with a very caring executive team. There are times when the work is long and hard but you always feel rewarded for your effort.
Pros
Staff appreciation is abundant
Cons
Very hard to move up quickly
Productive and a fun place to work.
Senior Executive Adminsrator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 9, 2016
. A typical day at work included attention to detail and staying ahead of the game by knowing what was scheduled for the day and being ready for the unexpected changes.
. I learned much about working with different departments and those who were in executive-levels running them.
. My co-workers were team players who assisted me so that I may learn more about my job which allowed me to pursue more opportunities.
. The most enjoyable positions I held were ones where I was in the know of the big picture. I could do my job best knowing what and why I was doing my job.
Amazing Culture; Old School and Outdated Management
VP/ Digital Strategy Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 29, 2015
Best agency culture in the industry. They take care of their people and create an excellent work/life balance.

The only complaint is that management is old school from the 80s and thinks mainly in TV. They are slow and make decisions by committee and it is a bit of an old boys club.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Old boys club management
Fun environment but unless you have a advertising passion/background, there is no advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 9, 2013
A typical day would be administrative work.

I learned that you can have fun while accomplishing goals.

Loved my co-workers.

Hardest part was knowing that I couldn't advance because I didn't have an advertising background.

The most enjoyable part were the co-workers.
Great workplace envirnontment
Student Workshop (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 22, 2013
I was here for a student workshop where they taught us some very useful things about marketing and advertising. Everyone there is very nice, knowledgeable, and great at what they do. There are some long hours, but they are very rewarding.
Pros
great people
Cons
Exciting place to work something always going on
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 1, 2013
On the move all day. Three office locations to cover for morning, afternoon and lunch breaks.
Pros
High energy
Cons
Schedule not flexible
Hight Stress. Deadlines daily
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VaSeptember 17, 2013
I dealt with deadlines daily. I feel so fortunate to have had experience and an international agency right out of school, but it was a little overwhelming and very stressful.
Pros
Being a part of producing national ads
Cons
Stress!
Productive, family oriented, fun place to work!
Accounts Payable Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 17, 2013
Open and review mail daily and stamp with the date received. Apply use tax to Invoices when applicable. Check for correct documentation and approval. Update monthly checklist for processing of recurring items and leases. Research vendor statements, unprocessed vendor invoices and vendor inquires related to agency expense as distributed by A/P coordinator in charge of research. Review and process weekly TMP travel report. Work directly with appropriate personnel to obtain approval of travel and correct posting information. Voucher incoming invoices into the automated system and sent out for proper approval. Other duties as assigned by the Account Payable Supervisor. I also handled specifically all cell bills and airfare Amex bill. Track 10 or more G/L accounts at month end providing staff accounts month to year to date totals using Microsoft Excel. Data entered in a timely manner with accuracy. Upmost team player, work well with co-workers! Most enjoyable part of my job with The Martin Agency was balancing weather it was accounts or a 500 page bill!
Pros
Benifits!
Cons
Unfortunately the agency had to lay me off!
Great culture
Community and Content Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 2, 2013
Great people, amazing place to work. Cannot say enough good things about The Martin Agency.
Good company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 28, 2013
Although work/life balance sometimes suffered a bit at the agency it was never a sweatshop atmosphere, but simply a lot of highly motiviated people working at times under tight deadlines. I was proud to be a part of the team.

A number of senior management changes are taking place now and it remains to be seen what impact that will have on the agency culture.
Amazing Extras
Accounting Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 25, 2013
The company, as a whole, has wonderful extra benefits. On top of a wonderful Health Care program, they also offer discounts to several vendors. Although, with the growth and moving, there has been some definite morale issues, they continue to try to make the best of it with company functions to bring the employees together.
Productive and fun place as well as able to work with some very talented and amazing people
Analytics Manager/Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 6, 2012
At TMA there is no typical day, you never know what may come up that will need to be taken care of.
I've learned the true meaning of "teamwork" . Whether it's prepping for a client meeting or internal meeting-it takes a mountain.
The Management is one of the best I've worked with. I felt that I had truly found a "home"--and I haven't felt that since I worked at Best Products. And the primary reason for this feeling is the Upper Mgmnt. I feel that Martin has the best CEO hands-down due to the fact that under his leadership, you actually feel that you matter and what you do means something.
In closing, the most enjoyable part of working there, besides the parties, is the people. I will definitely miss the people!
Pros
free lunches, people, benefits
Cons
late nights
Ok...
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 6, 2012
co-workers are great. Management is incompetent. Left over from when the agency was small so there is not good leadership. Long days. Typical to have little no work/life balance.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
bad management/low morale
Hard work but every minute was worthwhile
Student Workshop Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 22, 2012
The Martin Agency Student Workshop was one of he most informative and interesting experiences of not only my work life but my entire life.

This two week advertising industry boot camp started off with a lecture series put on by executives and leaders within the agency. The other Workshop Interns and I listened intently to all of the information, stories, and advice from industry titans.

Keeping in mind all of the knowledge imparted to us we were split into teams. Over the next week the groups created full scale marketing plans for a real life agency client. These plans included everything from the creative brief to the pitch. At the end of the Workshop we gave our pitch. My group was awarded "Most Creative Marketing Plan".

Throughout the second half of this experience there were many late nights and heated discussions but overall it was a sharing of ideas and talents between intelligent and driven college students.
Great company to work for !
Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 26, 2012
Fun and exciting workplace with very talent and fun folks surrounding you,the hardest part of the jobs is not over eating and gaining extra pounds,the most enjoyable part is just being a part of The Martin Agency.
Pros
company functions
Cons
n/a