The Medical Center of Aurora Employee Reviews

Psychiatric department is unethical.
emergency room clinician (Former Employee) –  emergency room, ICU and medical floorsFebruary 11, 2017
Over 20 long-term staff left the psychiatric department in 6 months time due to unethical practices, untrained supervisors and hatchet men from corporate. Tele psychiatry was instituted for first time emergency psychiatric evaluations even though licensing boards said it was unethical and practice standards said this should not be done on a first meeting with patients. Imagine a Skype therapist talking to your loved one who is schizophrenic or just attempted suicide. This places patients at risk. Clinician's licenses at risk. Be ethical. Stop this practice. Ethics committee is a joke.
Pros
used to be a great place to work
Cons
ethics issues, ethics committee is a joke.
Horrible
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 14, 2016
Chronic short staffing, low pay, mandatory overtime, forced admissions. We are under constant threat of write ups for anything management finds. I love my coworkers and my patients but the environment management has created is causing me to look elsewhere. Beware of ANY hospital that offers a sign-on bonus. Major red flag.
Pros
Excellent floor staff
Cons
Management unethical, bullying
Proffesional and Productive Enviroment
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 20, 2016
At the Medical Center of Aurora we must be able to: decontaminate, assemble, sterilize, and store surgical equipment all while being attentive to the OR needs/demands.
Pros
exceptional benefits, competitive pay
Cons
Lunches are not free to employees
Instrument Technician
Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 3, 2016
I loved working here. If there was a full time position available, I would be working here again. The people in the O.R. and all around the hospital are very nice. Hard work, but always got my lunch break.
Productive workplace focusing on the mental health of all clients.
Level II Fieldwork Student (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 14, 2015
"The adult inpatient Behavioral Health Unit is a 40-bed psychiatric treatment unit for persons ages 18-55 who are experiencing a behavioral health crisis and can benefit from short-term intensive treatment. The unit is dedicated to providing state-of-the-art psychiatric care so that you/your loved ones can experience top quality treatment and care.

What behavioral health problems does the acute unit treat?
Severe depression
Suicidal thoughts/behaviors
Schizophrenia
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Bipolar Disorder
Personality Disorders
Anxiety/panic disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Many other severely impairing psychiatric conditions
What type of therapies are provided?

Psychiatric evaluation and treatment
Group therapy
Recreational therapy
Occupational therapy
Family conferences
Medication and illness education
Enhancing coping skills"
Structured supportive working environment. Adequate training and encourage and assist in professional growth
RN Discharge Planner/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 18, 2015
Structured supportive working environment. Adequate training an encouragement and assistance with professional growth. Fair, somewhat competitive pay scale. EXCELLENT BENEFIT PACKAGE.
nice place to work
Registrar (Current Employee) –  aurora,coAugust 13, 2015
love the department i work with, a good team, outstanding management within registration. able to futher my education as far as becoming more knowledgable to the work that i do
High turn over for Pharm techs here
Pharm tech (Former Employee) –  PotomacJuly 30, 2015
Aurora Medical was the worst place I have ever worked. Upper management does not like pharm techs here. When the old mgr was here it was a great place to work but since it was taken over by this new mgr, it felt like I had to talk myself into going in, they don't care about the pharmacy technicians. In three years I have seen over twenty pharmacist leave, and even more pharmacy technicians than I count, I felt like they asked for more work than they were willing to pay for because they try to work to short staffed. . Not focused on the importance of the patient more for saving a buck. They constantly had to borrow meds from other facilities and some patients even had to order their own through separate entities. Although I did work with some great people and met some great friends that made it a little better but not because management built a great team, just that we had a lot to talk about because we didn't like the new manager so much. If I could have I would have gave management a minus 5.
Pros
Pharmacist were nice, pharm techs were nice....
Cons
Everything else
Good place to work as a Respiratory Therapist
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 16, 2015
I enjoyed my time at TMCA working as a Respiratory Therapist. Working nights provided more opportunity for autonomy with patient care.
Nice Place to Work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COMay 26, 2015
Great staff and management in the Cardiac Tower. Worked there as a CNA until I graduate nursing school. Very flexible in scheduling, making a work/life balance possible. Great place to work, great experience. Pay scale is on the lower side compared to surrounding hospitals, however the management and staff make up for that. Very team oriented.

Want to know more about The Medical Center of Aurora?

Ask a question
short staffed with low benefits
Medical Assistant and Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 6, 2015
Clock in and let morning staff have break, handle change of shift. day includes phlebotomy, phones, stocking. I learned to respond to trauma in a calm manner. Management's hands are tied and there is no autonomy due to HCA. Dealing with severe trauma in the ER was very hard. Most enjoyable were the frequent patients. Benefits and pay are low.
Fun place to work, great coworkers
Pharmacy Technician/Externship (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 3, 2015
This was used during my extern, and I can not say anything bad about my experience. Every employee helped me and I enjoyed every minute of it
Love my colleagues! Management lacks tact/professionalism.
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Aurora South PCUMarch 18, 2014
A typical day involves caring for cardiac patients. The multidisciplinary team is great. I have gained experience in post op CABG care. The biggest downfall here is that managers discriminate-show favoritism among certain staff, inflexible, and are unappreciative of those who work hard. Another down fall is that there is not much interaction between the nurses and physicians. The hardest part of this job is that nurses here get paid very little compared to the surrounding hospitals. The most enjoyable is the relationships that have been established and the cohesiveness among the team.
Pros
Payroll deduction in gift shop and cafeteria, Co-workers
Cons
Short breaks/No breaks, Need more leaders Vs. Managers, Inflexible scheduling, small break rooms, Inconsiderate and unappreciative of staff
Great place to work.
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 18, 2013
Very professional staff for whom to work, flexible schedule, highly skilled nurses and physicians.

I enjoyed my duties and interacting with staff. My co-workers were fun to work with as well as supportive and easy to work with.

A typical day at work included attending team conferences and planning meetings. I would facilitate several groups a day that may have included: music, pet therapy, exercise, discussion groups, games, arts and crafts.
Pros
Great people to work with, flexible schedule.
Cons
Sometimes I was asked to perform duties outside my job description
Advanced my career here and learned & continue to learn several skills
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 20, 2013
Is an overall good hospital with excellent doctor groups and staff members
Pros
RN Profession Recognition Program
Benefits
good place to work
Staff Nurse, Relief Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COAugust 8, 2013
Great opportunity for individual growth, overall great co-workers.
Pros
Co-Workers, majority of staff have great attitudes.
Cons
Management, diconnected from staff
Low Turnover = Dedicated Employees
Social Work Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Case ManagmentJuly 13, 2013
I worked at TMCA for 3 years in case management.. Seven years later almost all of the staff is still there - that really says something. If I wasn't moving out of state, I would have gone back with gratitude. The staff in the department are supportive of each other, focused on quality patient care.
Pros
Staff support each other
Cons
Subject to lay offs out of control of managers (due to census or financials)
Unethical standards
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Medical Center of AuroraApril 22, 2013
Most coworkers were great. Supervisors are unethical and unsupportive. Loved my job for 10 years till new supervisors came on board and lauched attacks on others.
Pros
nice health benefits, clean environmnet
Cons
supervisors are untrained and unethical
The rehab department is full of supportive staff.
PRN Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 16, 2013
I never got to do a hospital rotation with school. The rehab department still gave me a chance and everyone is very nice and helpful. There are lots of learning opportunities and the management provides wonderful support.
Pros
wonderful staff
Cons
low pay
A better place to work than many others
RN (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 21, 2013
At work, I was given a fair load of paitents, and if things were particular difficulty there were always friendly coworkers who were willing to help. They really have a team focus in the ICU, and the more experienced nurses are always willing to teach the newer nurses. My bigest difficutly was that I never trusted my management or anyone in the HR department who was supposed to be an advocate to ever come to my aid in a time of need.
Pros
most doctors showed respect to most of the nurses.
Cons
lunch breaks were rare, but we had to clock out for them anyway. tmca as a whole used to have a sense of pride, but as they have been cutting corners on things (christmas dinners, tmca labeled gifts when doring surveys, etc, moral has dropped.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Medical Center of Aurora. Our community is ready to answer.

The Medical Center of Aurora Reviews by Location