The Melting Pot Employee Reviews

Fine dining restaruant, can be kind of stuffy
Host (Former Employee) –  San Clemente, CAFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day at work would be to make sure everything is stocked, make sure tables had enough time to turn before the next reservation. My co-workers were okay, nothing to complain about, just kinda cliquey. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers. Management was okay, not the best communication but they were nice. I learned that promotions were very political and was the reason why I left.
Pros
50% off meals.
Cons
Not much room for growth.
good enviroment
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALFebruary 4, 2016
great food and owners. I had . a good experience here as I learned a lot from the owners they knew how to treat their employees and their staff
Fun place to work
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 29, 2016
Great environment to work. Ability for advancement in company. I learned how valuable customer service is in creating a repeat customer base. I learned how to go above and beyond and connect with guests.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Hours
Fine Dining
Server (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 14, 2016
Restaurant provides fine dining, and a unique fondue experience. The restuarant strives to indulge their guests. Delicious menu, and afforable choices for everyone.
Server/food handler
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 9, 2015
I have this job solely because I am looking for a job in my career field. I have learned a lot about team work/group efforts. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to meet and talk to new people almost everyday.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No breaks
Use to be enjoyable
Office staff (Former Employee) –  Out of the officeNovember 14, 2015
Used to be a fun place to work when it was growing ... Economy changed and all of a sudden not a fun place anymore simply due to upper management micromanaging ..
I worked out of the corporate office ...
All they want to do is concentrate on the restaurants not doing well .. Not trying to make the good ones get better ..
Company is losing market share ...
Pros
It had an artificial environment of trying to be positive all the time
Cons
Company is going down Hill
Perhaps the best place to work!
Head of Hospitality (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 9, 2015
Caring and wonderful management. While they were about numbers, their priority was the guest as well as ensuring that the work environment was safe.
Pros
Caring management; treated like family constantly
Cons
Some unstable staff members brought down morale at times
Good Money
Server/ Server Trainer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 5, 2015
The Melting Pot are individually owned restaurants and thusly I can only speak for my company. There are things that can be improved but overall it is an enjoyable work place where you make better money than most other restaurants.
Favorite job thus far!
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZSeptember 29, 2015
Standing and walking through the whole shift, there was never a dull moment. The staff was like a family and always helpful when in a stitch. The work was fast paced as a server, greeting patrons and explaining the dining experience, then serving them. Everyday was a challenge as this restaurant is a place of celebration and each customer's experience should be unique. Management had a few drawbacks in that the two managers had different views on various procedures or rules, which was difficult to adjust to the inconsistencies.
Pros
Staying very busy, talking with guests, the wonderful staff.
Cons
Not really any time for a break.
Rewarding and customer-oriented environment, and a fun staff!
Hospitality Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GASeptember 29, 2015
When I applied for the job, I was looking for a server position, or work in the kitchen. Most of my experience has been as a server, but during that time I learned a lot about food preparation, clean-up, and kitchen activities - so I was willing to go with either. To my surprise, they wanted a host, and they thought I fit the bill!

The front of the house was usually slow. Managing reservations was very simple via their Open Table program, but seating walk-ins was a little challenging. You want to seat everyone, but if there's a big party coming with a reservation, you don't want to drop a random party into the middle of their section. I enjoyed the challenge.

Management was excellent. The general manager was an import from Florida: he had been managing one of his father's restaurants. The manager was my favorite - he was an older fellow, very friendly, and he preferred to solve problems rather than dwell on how 'company policy' was to never have them in the first place.

My co-workers were amazing. The Melting Pot is an 'experience', and the servers are %100 percent at the core of it. It's more than just telling people how to be safe when dipping things in hot oil, cheese, or chocolate. They also have to be entertainers while they warm up a pot, melt some cheese, or lay out a spread of things to be dipped. My co-workers were just as personable and interesting on and off the job. Even the bartender was a really cool guy (he worked for a Goodwill somewhere near Duluth, he gave this company a glowing review)!

The hardest part of the job was definitely managing the seating
  more... arrangements. Parties with reservations were easy: you look at how many are coming, and you look at how many tables can seat that number. You don't seat people at those tables within two hours before the party arrives, because people routinely took two hours to get through all four courses. Walk-ins were harder, because you'd want to save as many seats as possible for a possibly larger walk-in, while still seating hopeful randoms. It was sometimes had to tell when it was appropriate to ask a party to wait at the bar (although the aforementioned bartender was very good company for waiting guests). But that was it, and the rest of the job was great. I even enjoyed dressing up.

The most enjoyable parts of my job as a host for the Melting Pot were the busy nights. With the entire restaurant booked from 5pm to as late as 11:59pm, the managers would usually be handling seating and reservations. It was up to me to manage the little things: stacking menus, distributing fondue forks, and (my favorite) helping anyone in the restaurant who looked like they needed help. A server might whisper to me that they were booked solid and needed me to prepare the cheese-portion of a certain table. Done. Or, they might not have time to pass out drinks (two cokes, a sweet tea, and a water)? Done. Carrying spent pots of boiling oil away from a table? With pleasure. Since the managers were working the front of the house, I found myself settling happily into the position of a Server Assistant. I'd even bus tables if it looked like it would help out. I guess the most enjoyable part of the job was when I was most busy, and helping out other people.
Pros
Cash tip-out every night.
Cons
Short-staffed on slow nights.
Fun place with good management
Server (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 23, 2015
It is like any other serving job. You will get your tables and make your money, however the days can be slow and your wages are based off of one or two tables
Pros
Good Managment
Cons
Drama
Different style of serving
Server (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 23, 2015
I absolutely love working at The Melting Pot. I usually take between 4 and 8 tables per night, but the checks are around $100 for a two-top. The style of serving is much different than other restaurants, but the interaction with tables is nice. It is nice getting to know the guests rather than have a turn-and-burn mentality.
Fun, Fast Environment
Server (Current Employee) –  ServerJuly 14, 2015
Everyday at the Melting Pot is different. I enjoy the fast paced environment, multitasking and problem solving part of being a server. I get along with all of my co-workers; we are a tight bunch of employees. My manager is a perfect leader; always willing to lend a hand whenever needed. Being a server at the Melting Pot has taught me how to become a true multitasker and problem solver.
Challenging and exciting work environment
Server / Hospitality Staff (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 30, 2015
Without a shadow of a doubt, if you want to work in Columbia, MD at this Melting Pot you need to come in knowing the importance of dependability and teamwork.
As someone who had never served in a restaurant before I hesitated to start at such a big and demanding restaurant. I was wrong to feel this way.
The management made it clear and simple what they wanted and expected. They hold reasonable standards for their employees and went out of their way to help make me an experienced server. Whether it was personal or professional issues, the management always made it so that any problems I had were handled discretely and with understanding.
This particular Melting Pot is relatively small and has a real "family" feel to it. It's always a great sign when the owners bring their families in to eat the food you're making. Yummmm!
If its a long day, be sure to come hungry because the managers are buying pizza! If you are hurt or have an ailment (which I have personally dealt with) they will find a way to work with you to make sure you're comfortable and the guests still get the best service out of you.
I have never been so impressed with a work environment and am very grateful to have had the opportunity to have worked with Dana and John for as long as I did.
Productive and fun work place
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 27, 2015
Sometimes work can be stressful. Since I started to work here at 15 years old, I have matured fast. This has been such a great experience for me with amazing people supporting me.
Loved this job
Hospitality Specialist (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJune 16, 2015
. I worked here for quite some time possibly my favorite restaurant job I have ever had. You have opportunity to grow and the people who work here are like a family
Pros
Tip share, good hours
Cons
N/A
Amazing management team
Hospitality Coordinator and Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 15, 2015
Really caring family atmosphere! Everyone worked as a team. Management was great and the hours were flexible (although holiday season was really taxing)
Pros
great work environment
Cons
snippy guests, long hours
Was a fun place to work because of the interaction you have with customers.
Server/Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 13, 2015
Working at The Melting Pot it was a good experience to begin with but they implemented some changes that made the job very hard to enjoy. The co-workers always supported and helped each other through each shift, The General Manager and Assistant Manager were not very supportive and neglected customer care. The hardest part about the job was to time everything perfect so the guests had a one of a kind experience. The most enjoyable part about this job was the interaction with customers and with the staff. I was a part time manager and felt under used. I would like to make a difference for a company where I can take pride in my work and job tittle.
Pros
Fun Environment, help staff
Cons
poor management
Fun place to work at
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 12, 2015
Making and serving fondue, I learned how to engage people into conversation and be more social. Unlike your typical serving job. Management was fun to be around and Co-workers were awesome! The hardest part was working the late night hours and the most enjoyable part was showing people how to make fondue and entertaining them.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Late Nights
Intent on Providing the Perfect Night Out
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 8, 2015
The Melting Pot is a wonderful place to learn. I started out as a server. Promoted to trainer/key hourly manager. Then, finally. I was offered the position of Assistant Manager. All within 1 1/2 years. I am very thankful for the opportunity. I am grateful to have received the position based on my skills rather than my experience. It allowed me to become a better manager and problem solver.

I decided to leave because of the morale of the team members. There are a handful of employees that have been with the Melting Pot since the beginning. They are very set in there ways and are not comfortable with change. The Melting Pot needs some changes within specific locations. There is no growth without it. I want to be a part of team where everyone is willing to do what it takes to make the company successful. Striving to gain repeat guests and stay above the competition.
Pros
Advancement and Travel oppurtunities
Cons
No breaks, constant changes in management.