The Melting Pot Employee Reviews

Good Restaurant to Work For
Server (Current Employee) –  Maple Shade, NJMarch 14, 2016
The Melting Pot is a good restaurant to work for. It is fast paced and you need to keep up but the money you make is fair. This job offers you a chance to fine-tune your customer service skills.
Pros
GREAT management
Cons
NO breaks, benefits
people are great who you work with, except ownership and management know absolutely nothing
rver (Current Employee) –  town & countryAugust 31, 2016
Enjoyed working there, people in your same position and in kitchen are great. Ownership and management could care less about if cover counts are spread equally. Ownership just wants the tickets to be paid and his/her quota to be met. Management are just taking orders from ownership and are to scared to stand up and stick up for the employees who are making the whole restaurant run. Place is a joke, could make so much more money if it was run right. Would definitely NEVER recommend working there!
Pros
great co workers, who are the same position as you.
Cons
Terrible management, hostessing, and ownership
Hard working fun environment with great management
Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 23, 2016
At work my main focus is flipping the tables cleaning as fast and efficiently as i can so more customers can sit. I also help servers out as much as possible such as picking up / dropping off steaming pots, or dropping salads, drinks/refills. Clearing tables for the next courses. Managers were flexible and easy to talk to, they were there for the employees. We were allowed to play music on a speaker in the kitchen so we weren't completely bored. All of the employees are friends and help each other out as much as possible.
Pros
music in kitchen, discount, good management
Pays well when its busy
Server (Former Employee) –  FLSeptember 2, 2015
You must truly be in the mindset to create an experience for each and every table. The server-guest face time at the table is much more than at a turn and burn restaurant so your conversation game has to be on. You are also cooking at your table so you need to be attentive to your surroundings.
I feel that corporate is constantly trying to save money for themselves (cutting corners) and it puts servers in a jam. I worked at one of the test stores so although we were usually given a few day's notice before a change was implemented, we were always having to deal with troubleshooting so the other stores wouldn't have to.
If you were able to connect and engage with your guests, the financial compensation made it worth it (especially being open only for dinner--no doubles except on certain promos/holidays).
My only complaint was that if you were good at your job, you were often punished by being put on the schedule much more, in my case one or two days off in a two week period, and constantly have to close. However, money is money! And my managers/coworkers were all super fun to be around. Overall, recommend the Melting Pot.
Pros
discount, only dinner hours, easy to break a bill, wine tastings, fun coworkers
Cons
you have to do some cooking, promotional days aren't very good for money
Fine dining restaruant, can be kind of stuffy
Host (Former Employee) –  San Clemente, CAFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day at work would be to make sure everything is stocked, make sure tables had enough time to turn before the next reservation. My co-workers were okay, nothing to complain about, just kinda cliquey. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers. Management was okay, not the best communication but they were nice. I learned that promotions were very political and was the reason why I left.
Pros
50% off meals.
Cons
Not much room for growth.
Productive and Fun Place
Server (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2016
i really like my job at the melting pot! the staff is friendly and so are the guests! the fondue concept as a whole is a great experience for staff and guests alike! The only down fall is that they are only open for dinner so it makes it really hard to have a life outside of working here. the hours and pay are good but be prepared to work mandatory weekends.
Pros
Family Events, Special Promos and Staff Superbowl Party
Cons
no breaks, nights and weekends, long days
It was fun and a dancing inviroment
Servers assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, ALAugust 16, 2016
A typical workday at the melting pot is fun. We were always dancing and cutting up in the back. I think the hardest part of working there is keeping up with the tables that needed to be cleaned. The most enjoyable part of the job was just the back. We were always teasing one another and just having a great time. We make the most of it.
Pros
Free salads
Cons
Keeping up with the tables that left and needed to be cleaned
Feels like home.
Server (Current Employee) –  Louisville, COSeptember 29, 2016
Have been with this company my entire working career (8 years). Management at my current location is exceptional. They promote from within so the managers know what it's like to do the job.
Pros
The staff is my second family, they really go above and beyond to take care of their emplyees.
Cons
Highly challenging serving job, plus corporate offices make some rediculous decisions, which in turn make the job harder to carry out.
Worked there three years as a server trainer.
Waiter, Bartender, and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 17, 2016
Good experience. Can be extremely demanding and mentally exhausting. Sophmoric mentality at times and very much about who kisses up to management. They do appreciate hard work but will take advantage of it.

No benefits
No paid time off
Pros
Great customers/pay/ laid back/Good work ethic.
Cons
takes advantage of employees/no benefits /no paid time off/Some nepotism
Decent place to work
Back of House (Former Employee) –  Viera, FLMay 18, 2016
Working here was a great way to get a feel of a high quality dining experience. It was not every typical restaurant because the meals here were cooked by customers. The main thing about this job was speed, communication, cooperation. If you could not communicate with your team that night it would be a difficult environment. The Managers tried their best to help both sides servers, back of house/(kitchen).
Pros
fast, friendly environment, overall fun place to work
Cons
short breaks, duties can pile up, and hard work may go unnoticed
Productive place to work. The environment is always cheerful,yet very serious in the kitchen,but when on the floor a very precise ways of actions.
Server (Current Employee) –  BridgestreetAugust 18, 2016
Very wonderful people who always help out if you get behind as well as thoughtful co workers who will make a special night out at the melting pot remarkable.
Pros
Wonderful money, as well as food.
Cons
We let children in( not a safe place for kids)
Good place to work feels like a big family
Hospitality Specialist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GASeptember 26, 2016
Easy work environment
great employees
Amazing mangers
It's a big second family you learn to love
Weekends are busy but are not hard to mange
Everyone helps each other and learn from one another
Pros
Easy working environment
Cons
The amount of work you do you don't get paid enough
Fun and Exciting
Server (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 6, 2016
This place is filled with the best people around. From the Servers to management everyone has an extensive background in the industry. There is something about The Melting Pot that creates a tight group of people. It rewards hard work and advancement is there if you strive for it. I was only there for a summer job as I looked for a Management job that was year round.
Pros
People. . . . Everything
Cons
N/A
Fun fast paced work environment
Hospitality Specialist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 1, 2016
This is a very time sensitive serving position and it is also a fine dining restaurant so providing excellent and efficient service is key. It's very organized chaos and there's a lot going on at all times in the dining room and back of house. Being able to maintain focus and provide incredible guest service for several hours with no breaks is a really challenging atmosphere to go to day after day but it's really a very fun job.
Pros
Being active and on the move all of the time
Cons
No breaks and can get extremely hot
Helpful Environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 29, 2016
I loved working for the Melting Pot. All of the employees were close and everyone helped each other out when another person struggled. It taught me a lot about teamwork and customer service. I really love the restaurant business and the Melting Pot was a good place to start out with.
Good for a Serving Job
Server (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 19, 2016
A lot of people quit after the first week. Once you make it past all the training it gets a lot easier.

The owner is great but you will only see him on the weekend. The GM is his brother so that can make things difficult since they have VERY different leadership styles.

Whether or not you will enjoy this job really depends upon if your personality will mesh well with the other servers.

Whether or not you will be successful depends upon if you can handle high stress situations and annoying guests.

Some nights you will make a lot of money and other nights you won't. It's a serving job so nothing is guaranteed.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Saturdays are mandatory and so are some holidays
fun and helpful co-workers, lack of hour flexibility, poor management skills
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, ILFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day consisted of clocking in(waiting for a manager to sign off on it for 5-10 minutes), doing dishes while understaffed(only me dishwashing, there should be 2 people), some of the servers helping out when it's busy, closing.
I learned that there's a reason we were understaffed, and that's because the management was inefficient.
Most of the time, if you needed to talk to a manager they were off in some random place doing nothing, not in their office or helping out, just standing/sitting around.
My co-workers are what kept me there longer than I should've stayed, they'd always help out with washing pots when I was the only dishwasher scheduled and keep me motivated while i worked.
The hardest part of the job was that because I was usually the only dishwasher, I didn't leave work until 1 or 2 am, even though we closed at 10 on week days, 9 on sundays and 11 on saturdays.
The best part of the job were my co-workers, i knew some of them from school so they would talk to me and help out when they weren't too busy.
Pros
free salad, multiple breaks
Cons
non-flexible hours and working about double the hours i wanted
12 hours/day, 5 days/week, at a minimum.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 14, 2016
As long as you are willing to say goodbye to your weekends/holidays, this position offers great potential for advancement and great resume-building. You'll wear a lot of hats, as most restaurant managers do, but you'll have a solid resume entry when you're ready to move on...
A Fine Dining Fondue Restaraunt
Server (Former Employee) –  Ahwatukee, AZSeptember 14, 2016
Cooking, serving, preparing fondue to guests in a professional, fine dining atmosphere. A typical shift included serving large groups including birthdays, graduations, and weddings, as well as cooking and flambeing fondue in front of guests.
It's an alright place .
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCAugust 13, 2016
It's very fun. You get along with everyone and it great. It's very hot in there. It's also very hard. You don't get brake. And you basically have to work and be there on time. No asking for days off or anything.
Pros
Nothing.