This position works closely with the Associate Coordinators and Manager of Visitor Services by assisting in the management and daily operations for Visitor Services at The Cloisters. This position also supervises all staff and volunteers working with Visitor Services consisting of Admissions, Information, Membership, Telecommunications, Audio Guide, and Cashier Office operations. It should be noted that this position works on weekends and holidays.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Supervision of the Visitor Services department at The Cloisters, including the Audio Guide and Cashier Office operations, in the absence of the Associate Coordinator
- Assist with hiring, training, supervision and performance tracking of the visitor services staff.
- Manage The Cloisters Cashier Office, which includes the reporting, accounting, and bank deposit from all departments at The Cloisters
- Process Kronos timekeeping and approval
- Assist in facilitation and processing of visitors
- Supervises the staff on all Admissions operations, including assisting in the daily operations of the office and registers, including morning set-up, daily audits, and close-out procedures.
- Acting as "on call" Main Building liaison to maintain and correct malfunctions of Omniticket
- Overview cash register system
- Acting as "on call" Main Building liasion with IS&T to maintain and correct malfunctions of The Cloisters Telecommunications system
- Maintenance of all departmental print and electronic files and reports, including all Admissions accounting, visitor demographic surveys, and Cashier Office activity
- Purchasing or otherwise acquiring and accounting of all departmental supplies
- Responding to all public requests for information (individual and in bulk) via post, email, and voicemail, including answering phones
- Communicates to staff Museum policy updates, all current Museum events, and necessary visitor information
- Represent the department at The Cloisters staff meetings as well as Visitor Services and Audio Guide meetings at the Main Building
- Other related duties
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
- In-depth experience with Microsoft Office suite
- Supervisory or management experience required
- Experience with payroll reporting, staff scheduling, and conflict resolution or staff discipline
- Cash handling experience, including accounting and reporting
- Excellent communication and public relations skills with the ability to foresee problems and develop solutions required
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask and prioritize required
- Availability to work weekends and holidays
Knowledge and Education:
- Computer knowledge, including Microsoft Office Suite required
- Knowledge of New York City tourism (i.e., transportation, geography, other museums and attractions) is preferred.
- Background and interest in art history, medieval history or arts administration preferred
- Bachelor degree required
The Metropolitan Museum of Art provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, marital status or domestic partner status, genetic information, genetic predisposition or carrier status, gender identity, HIV status, military status and any other category protected by law in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.