The Metropolitan Museum of Art Employee Reviews

Good people to work with
Usher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2017
the hours were short and I got called in from time to time. not too many hours or sometimes none at all. learning new skills are always a pleasure....
Pros
free shows
Cons
spotty pay
Culture Change/New Management
Senior Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2017
During my time there you have great people that work there and believe in the mission of the MET. Unfortunately under new management there was a huge amount of layoffs of many great staff which created a different tone and work environment.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Favoritism of employees
It's going to be 5 years before they dig out of the hole they're in.
Employee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2017
Perpetually too many programs to be accomplished with the number of current staff. The entire HR department has quit twice over in the past few years.
cool
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2017
It is what you make it. If you like art you will love the environment. It's a job as any other job. It is what you make it. Recommended to people interested in art.
Professional job culture and peaceful environmnet
Senior Sale Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2017
Working at the MET Cloisters was an interesting and helpful experience. It helped me grow professionally as well as it awoke in me the interest for arts. The environment is one of the best ones to work in. Everybody is respected for what they do and is motivated to develop skills even more.
Getting promoted is not easy, but with hard work and passion it might happen. My job didn't not really have any difficulties, so it took me a little while to learn every task and to perform it efficiently.
Exchanging opinions with my coworkers on how to get better was the best part of my job.
Pros
free entries
Cons
expensive food even for the employees, too hard to hit the bonus set by the department of sales
A supportive and friendly environment.
Senior Head Usher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 15, 2017
I have worked at The Metropolitan Museum of Art for almost 10 years. These 10 years have been a rewarding and enriching experience both professionally and personally. The workplace culture is supportive and teamwork is highly valued. On a typical day, I arrive at the venue and meet with the Front House Manager to discuss the specifics for the event taking place. I also work closely with the technical team and box office staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is opening the house, closing the house and knowing I did my personal best so audiences could have a positive, enjoyable experience. I personally enjoy greeting and meeting new audience members as well as loyal guest who attend events on a consistent basis. The most difficult part is knowing not everyone will be content with the experience.
Pros
Training Classes for personal and professional advancement.
Nice colleagues
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2017
Working at the Met was fun. The advantages of having morning meetings with exhibition designers and curators were the highlight of my day. My colleagues were nice and so was management.
Great
Collections Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2017
Offered a lot of learning opportunities. Management was difficult to work with sometimes, but mostly it wasn't a problem. Overall a good place to work.
Empty promises from managers
Senior Store Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 8, 2017
Majority of the issue is being understaffed and having to come in for 12 hours. Barely had enough time to get home because buses would run late but manager didn't care.
The Met
Finance Department Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 28, 2017
Great place to work. It is amazing walking into the second largest museum in the world every morning. The complexities of the museum's operations make the work very engaging and fulfilling.
Productive and proffessional
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 1, 2017
I stand and greet dozens of people every day. I also work behind the registers and assist customers. I worked in a professional environment so I learned how to improve my communication skills professionally. Each area had a team leader or supervisor and sometimes I worked at a gallery desk and gave people information or directions which is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Amazing work environment
Dispatcher (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2017
I really enjoyed working with Restaurant Associates Staff and management. Working at the met allowed me to experience a diversity of cultures and languages
Great Experience
Retail Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2016
A typical day at The Met can vary. Most days are very busy filled with tourists and regular museum members. Selling merchandise for special exhibition and museum favorites. Its a very fun place to work if youre interested or have a background in art. The hardest part about working here would be possibly the pay. Wish it was more.
Pros
Discount and free entrance to other museums
Cons
must be a temporary employee before gaining benefits as permanent
great environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2016
As a research assistant tasked with cataloguing the collection, I had more freedom than most employees. Everyone is dedicated and enthusiastic about their jobs. There is a disconnect between staff and the administration that can be difficult. The HR department, however, is extremely supportive. In general, it is a wonderful place to work.
Pros
staff cafeteria, benefits, great co-workers
Cons
distant administration
Daily
Graduate Communications & Costume Institute Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2016
• Assisted Coordinator for The Costume Institute’s Annual Gala Events
• Organized private funding and acquired new museum members through Friends of The Costume Institute program
• Created event programs and led media efforts to promote museum exhibitions and private viewings (i.e., photography and video)
Come on Indeed
Studio Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2016
I only worked there as a student and that was a long, long time ago.
It was a eye opening experience and that is why it is still only resume. I am so glad I landed my first job there because employers notice the MMA on your resume.
Pros
Recognizable name
Cons
Huge entity with many departments
Impressive and overwhelming
Security Department, Associate Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2015
A typical day included answering phone calls, managing/liaising emergency situations with the proper and competent authorities. Or working at the administrative level with the personnel, imputing data entry, payroll, scheduling days off, vacation for staff, etc. The jobs also ranged from preparing evening events, escorting dignitaries, VIP's (a tremendous outlet for the limelight), supervising staff members and being an ambassador to the thousands of visitors who came to visit when these moments arised.
Pros
Learned a great deal on office administration, structure and order from a varied/mixed staff. Developed a wonderful rapport with museum personnel.
Cons
"Reactive" depending on the gravity situation. Fomentors of departmental favortisim, nepotism, promoters of gossip and harborers of grovelling.
great work life balance
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2015
Ends here. Too large of an institution for one department to know what the other departments do. Size makes collaboration and teamwork very difficult.
benefits
Cons
management
not the best place to work at
Stockperson (Former Employee) –  Middle Village, NYSeptember 21, 2015
This place is ok to work at but there isn't the ability to advance in the company. The place is very diverse. Your hard work goes unnoticed. If your friendly with the boss you might get the chance to advance with this company.
PRODUCTION SPECIALIST - APPAREL (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2015
Great environment and atmosphere to work in. The Merchandising team was efficient and very skilled in their profession. The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to walk through the museum at any time any day - simply priceless.