The National Academies

The National Academies Employee Reviews

Learning Experience
Contract Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: contribution toward health and dental benifits
I like working for the National Academies because of the educational environment which motivates you to continue learining through work experience and/or course work.
Nice place to work
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: a great lotus notes team
Cons: work overload
A typical day involved Quality testing of Lotus Notes and Domino applications developed in-house. Notes Administration of servers, when backing up Notes administrators. I learned about various applications developed using Lotus Notes. Co workers were ok. The hardest part of my job was writing up Quality testing results as there were a lot of egos involved. The most enjoyable part of my job was coaching and mentoring the developers.
Productive, extensive data entry, very deatailed, customer service,
Accounting/Financial Assistant (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 25, 2013
Pros: working with a great staff
Cons: high turnover
I started my career at The National Academies 12/04 at an entry Level position entering in travel expenses, within 6 months I moved up to auditing and keying and kept moving up ladder until I was processing cash advances, wires reconciling company's Diners card, amongst a host of other job responsibilities.

My coworkers and I were very close nit and worked well with one another and were able to work on task and complete it in a timely manner if it was a project that we all had to work on. My supervisor was very helpful throughout my career and always encouraged me to move further up.

They wasn't a hard part of the Job because I knew my job very well and loved doing it. The National Academies has taught me great customer service skills, provided me with different accounting courses and molded me into a Team Leader.
Exellent Organization for Professional Growth Experience
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: wonderful location and being able to meet senior people in various fields
Cons: the amount of travel that is sometimes required
Working at the National Academies includes many facets. When working on a study, my day-to-day responsibilities run the gamut from attending study committee meetings, briefing the committee about research options available, running WebEx meetings for the committee, providing research support to the committee for data gathering, data analysis, contacting the study sponsor regarding study materials, requesting copyright permissions for materials for a report, report editing, and ensuring that the study is meeting all FACA requirements by maintaining the required information.

During my time at the National Academies, I have gained invaluable experience with policy research and the study publication process. Our office is one that supports the professional growth of all members by supporting our professional interests.

The hardest part of the job can be all of the travel that may be required. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my name included in the completed and published report, knowing all the effort that went into making the report a completed project.
productive and informative
Administrative Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 8, 2013
work independently with limited instruction from supervisor
learned to take control over projects that fell through the cracks
management sucked - no funds raised to keep lucrative and dependable staff
Excellent Company!
Program Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 22, 2012
Pros: wonderful benefits
The National Academies is a wonderful company! The most enjoyable part of my job was the opportunity to fine-tune my meeting planning skills. I had the pleasure to work with wonderful supervisors! In addition, the Academies is great at recognizing employees for their work! And the benefits are great!
Non-partisan research
Editorial Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 17, 2012
Pros: great location
Cons: cold
It's great to work for a non-partisan organization in the DC area.