The National Academies

The National Academies Employer Reviews

Exellent Organization for Professional Growth Experience
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: wonderful location and being able to meet senior people in various fields
Cons: the amount of travel that is sometimes required
Working at the National Academies includes many facets. When working on a study, my day-to-day responsibilities run the gamut from attending study committee meetings, briefing the committee about research options available, running WebEx meetings for the committee, providing research support to the committee for data gathering, data analysis, contacting – more... the study sponsor regarding study materials, requesting copyright permissions for materials for a report, report editing, and ensuring that the study is meeting all FACA requirements by maintaining the required information.

During my time at the National Academies, I have gained invaluable experience with policy research and the study publication process. Our office is one that supports the professional growth of all members by supporting our professional interests.

The hardest part of the job can be all of the travel that may be required. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing my name included in the completed and published report, knowing all the effort that went into making the report a completed project. – less
productive and informative
Administrative Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 8, 2013
work independently with limited instruction from supervisor
learned to take control over projects that fell through the cracks
management sucked - no funds raised to keep lucrative and dependable staff
Excellent Company!
Program Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 22, 2012
Pros: wonderful benefits
The National Academies is a wonderful company! The most enjoyable part of my job was the opportunity to fine-tune my meeting planning skills. I had the pleasure to work with wonderful supervisors! In addition, the Academies is great at recognizing employees for their work! And the benefits are great!
Non-partisan research
Editorial Coordinator (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 17, 2012
Pros: great location
Cons: cold
It's great to work for a non-partisan organization in the DC area.