The Nature Conservancy Employee Reviews

n/a (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 20, 2017
The worst. The absolute worst of the worst. Do not recommend. I could not have had a worse experience with poor management. The. Worst. Worsttttttttttt.
Pros
They're doing great work in theory.
Cons
They're a hot mess.
Wildland Firefighter/Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Loveland, COMarch 5, 2017
TNC works hard at maintaing a great life to work balance while allowing a livable wage. The main office in Boulder is a bustling place where people are happy to come into work.
Pros
Good location and people
Cons
overtime does not always get paid
Good cause corporate culture
Stewardship Technician (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CA 93001February 22, 2017
My typical day at work consists of dealing with the day-to-day operations of 7 leases on farms across Ventura County. Other days I contend with trespass and vandalism issues across 3,500 acres of riverine, foothill and coastal wetland habitat.

I learned about contract management and negotiation, managing property records and taxes through an on-line work enterprise cloud computing program called Salesforce. It's an office heavy job requiring time management, constant communication, managing deadlines and constantly putting out fires.

The hardest part of the job is being in confrontational situations where you have to talk to people who are trespassing on private property and aren't the nicest people usually.

Workplace culture is very ambitious, corporate and not very diverse; not very much recognition is handed out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is sometimes working with volunteers and kids in school groups outside.
Pros
Great health care benefits, 401K, great mission
Cons
Not diverse, management can be improved, not much upward mobility
Non-profit volunteer position working for a leading conservation effort
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 21, 2016
Produced and created marketing contact for social media and quarterly newsletter. Conducted research and interviews for current conservation efforts.
Pros
Interesting and important work
Cons
Highly scientific
Great Job, New Experiences!
Silver Creek Intern (Former Employee) –  Picabo, IDDecember 20, 2016
This summer job was a great experience for me because it allowed me to step out of my comfort zone of being a city girl and enjoy the mountains. From living in the city to a farmhouse was different but amazing at the same time. The staff members were very friendly.
Productive and Fun working out in field and with crew
Dune Restoration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, MIDecember 4, 2016
Working out in the field while having a good time with fun crew and knowing you are helping the environment is very meaningful. Typical day includes traveling to work site in company vehicle and then beginning on removal of invasive species either by manual or chemical depending on the weather. Were not working alone and always had the company of coworkers/crew who provided the ideal fun but working hard ethic needed to "get through" the day
Volunteer Organization
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 26, 2016
This was for an Eagle Scout project and its was a pleasure to work with them. I only had one contact to the organization but they were flexible and friendly.
Challenging workplace
Major Gifts Manager, Latin America Region (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 1, 2016
Difficult to advance career wise, if you start at an admin level it is very difficult to break that career pathway. Way too many restructures which make job security unstable.
Hard yet rewarding work
Remediation Officer (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 26, 2016
A typical day in the life of a remediation officer in the Greater Chicago area: Wake up at 5:00am for work at 6:00am. Meet with the team, and travel in the work truck to one of your sites. Once arrived, put on enough sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun despite sweating, and enough bug spray to make your eyes water. You will then fill your applicator backpack with herbicide, and go out into the site to identify and spray invasive species in preserve areas and riverine marshes. This position allows you to learn flora species swiftly, due to full immersion. Co-workers and management often act as other sources for information, filling in blanks in one's knowledge. The most difficult aspect of the job is being outdoors 8 hours a day, no matter the weather- on the hottest days it could be a struggle. The most enjoyable part of the job is the amount that you learn in such a short time, as well as the people that you work with.
Pros
Experience, great benefits
Cons
Harsh weather
Loved the outdoors, needs updating though
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Wood River, NEOctober 16, 2016
The guy who led the volunteer group was funny and made the work enjoyable. (working in grasses). But they really need to work on younger generation relations. When we were there the older people were mocking/poking fun at "dumb teenagers these days". Excuse me? I'm a teenager! So there was that. But I really liked making a difference plus we got free food! ;)
Pros
Free food, work/environment
Cons
people/workers, location was far from home (almost 3 hr)
If your life gals are to preserve protect nature than this is the place for you.
Land management tech / prescribed fire (Current Employee) –  Milnor, NDSeptember 17, 2016
If you want to work out doors in beautiful natural landscapes. If you like being a part of a team making a difference in wildlife habitat. If you want an exciting challenging job. If protecting and preserving nature is your passion than this is the perfect job for you.
Pros
lots of free training
Cons
wadge is at the bottom of the scale.
Great Work Environment
Private Contractor (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 2, 2016
Being a private contractor for TNC (The Nature Conservancy), I did not have much day to day interaction with the staff. I utilized needed equipment and prepared my reports to turn into the supervisor.

The work field consisted of primarily field work that included observation and monitoring of selected oyster reefs.
Nature Conservancy
Intern (Former Employee) –  Lake Harmony, PAAugust 22, 2016
Working for the Nature Conservancy was a wonderful and life changing experience. Being away from home without any electronics taught me a lot of things about myself. A typical day at work was challenging at times because of the heat and long hikes, but I overcame it and that made me stronger. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see the things you normally don't see in nature. For example, being able to identify trees that you would normally call weeds and seeing bears in your backyard is astonishing. My co-workers were very nice people but could also be difficult at times when it came to making decisions. All in all, I enjoyed this job .
This was a temporary assignment and yet the employees were nice to me
Administrative (Temporary Position) (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 10, 2016
I was there on a temporary assignment so I didn't leave my desk much. However, I did get to know a few of the employees there and they were all very nice to me. A typical day was scanning their files to hard drive and ensuring there were no inaccuracies. There were times I was asked to help make copies and such things which I was only too happy to do. There was no "hardest part" to the job, and I found it enjoyable scanning all those documents and reading them over.
Pros
It was part-time which was good for me at the time
Cons
No healthcare
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 15, 2016
Working at The Nature Conservancy was very pleasent experience but it is very difficult to work in an enviroment with no culture or diversitby
Productive and meaningful. Working for the future of our amazing planet.
Project Manager/Database Programmer/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 14, 2015
Very meaningful job, focused on conserving nature. Fascinating hidden places to visit. Amazing people from all over the world.
great culture great people
Education and Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pulaski, NYAugust 24, 2015
If it were not for the pay I would recommend anyone to work for TNC! The people are excellent however I barely made 30,000 per year.
Enjoyable
MSI Finance Project Asst / Ops Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 15, 2015
I love working for the Nature Conservancy. I enjoy the people, the culture, my commute is bearable and I believe in what the company stands for.
Cons
Have to pay for parking
Great issues and individuals
Federal Climate Relations Staff (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
In this capacity I had the opportunity to work on climate issues at the state level and collaborate with The Nature Conservancy in other states to meet legislative goals.
Conservation Giant
Director of Operations External Affairs (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 23, 2015
The Nature Conservancy is a wonderful place to work. It has the most competitive benefits for a non-profit.

The work atmosphere is relaxed (no dress code).

The building on 4245 North Fairfax Drive just went under a 25 million dollar interior renovation. It is in an open cube environment. State of the art conference rooms. Free ground fresh coffee. Excellent location across from Ballston metro. Great places to eat lunch/dinner.

Parking in the building.
Pros
Free coffee, no dress code, liberal work environment, excellent health benefits, 401k match to 8%
Cons
too many meetings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Nature Conservancy. Our community is ready to answer.