The Nature Conservancy Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and meaningful. Working for the future of our amazing planet.
Project Manager/Database Programmer/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 14, 2015
Very meaningful job, focused on conserving nature. Fascinating hidden places to visit. Amazing people from all over the world.
great culture great people
Education and Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pulaski, NYAugust 24, 2015
If it were not for the pay I would recommend anyone to work for TNC! The people are excellent however I barely made 30,000 per year.
Conservation Giant
Director of Operations External Affairs (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 23, 2015
The Nature Conservancy is a wonderful place to work. It has the most competitive benefits for a non-profit.

The work atmosphere is relaxed (no dress code).

The building on 4245 North Fairfax Drive just went under a 25 million dollar interior renovation. It is in an open cube environment. State of the art conference rooms. Free ground fresh coffee. Excellent location across from Ballston metro. Great places to eat lunch/dinner.

Parking in the building.
Pros
free coffee, no dress code, liberal work environment, excellent health benefits, 401k match to 8%
Cons
too many meetings
Enjoyable
MSI Finance Project Asst / Ops Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 15, 2015
I love working for the Nature Conservancy. I enjoy the people, the culture, my commute is bearable and I believe in what the company stands for.
Cons
Have to pay for parking
Wonderful organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAJanuary 8, 2015
LOVED my job at TNC as an Administrative Assistant (3 years). The only reason I left was the opportunity to increase my salary significantly doing the same type of work for a for-profit company. I admire TNC's mission and work accomplished around the world. I would jump at the chance to work for TNC again if only the pay was higher...
Pros
great colleagues, true team effort
Cons
low pay
Great issues and individuals
Federal Climate Relations Staff (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
In this capacity I had the opportunity to work on climate issues at the state level and collaborate with The Nature Conservancy in other states to meet legislative goals.
Life changing internship with amazing co workers.
Conservation Intern (unpaid) (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 22, 2014
A typical day of work included getting up at sunrise to load up the previously made herbicide into the truck, and meeting up with my supervisor and coworkers. We then deployed the herbicide at any one of our management areas. Treatments were either an individual effort or a team coordination depending on the area we were managing at the time. My supervisor was a walking encyclopedia of both occupational and natural knowledge. I maintained an excellent working relationship with all of my co workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping the quality of work top-notch throughout hot, humid and draining weather.
Pros
working outside, good co workers, dress code was lax
Cons
was an unpaid internship: no benefits
it empowered students to excel their studies
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2014
it was a paid internship traveled to Arizona to help construct community based projects, we mapped out an eliminated invasive plants and trees, and other community based projects with students and the Nature Conservancy Agencies. i Learned that you can do any thing ones you set your mind to it an knowing that you have experience outdoors activity we can recreate a more better lifestyle for our self an the community around us. i enjoyed meeting new people and getting to know my pairs
Pros
new connections with the people you meet
Excellent organization
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 1, 2014
I enjoyed my experience at The Nature Conservancy. Then only reason i needed to leave was to gain the next level of experience needed in my career at Project Manager.

The people, its mission and the work life structure at this organization are so far ahead of all others.
Pros
work life balance, genuine people, strong work ethic
Cons
not much room for career advancement
Fun workplace
Environmental Stewardship (Former Employee) –  Cape May, New JerseyDecember 17, 2014
This job required groups of people to engage in cooperative problem solving. I worked in a group of eight people with two supervisors. I learned a lot from working with my teammates and we became a real close knit group.
Amazing Company
Strike Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rock Creek, OhioApril 23, 2014
A typical day involved identifying and mapping invasive species of plants through ArcGIS, the management is full of great people who genuinely care about the employees and the work they do. The hardest part of the job is being able to hike 10 hours a day with up to 40lbs on your back, and the most enjoyable part is the beautiful nature that surrounds you. It is a great place to learn many aspects of conservation, plant identification and wetland ecology. Would highly recommend!
Pros
to many to list
Cons
grant funded (temporary position)
Interactive and passionate people to work with.
Land Stewardship Intern (Former Employee) –  Delmont, NJApril 22, 2014
- I conducted nature preserve site inspections to note any data of vandalism, illegal dumping, invasive species report, and community outreach.

- I learned the importance and amount of resources that are needed to maintain nature preserve integrity.

- The management was very thorough and consistent. Always made sure the team understood the tasks and were always there for assistance.

- The most difficult part of the job was working a school schedule around volunteer hours.

- The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that my work and data collection would enhance the integrity of nature preserves.
A challenging and fun work environment
Stewardship Intern (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 20, 2014
My typical work day was enjoying the great out doors doing field work on various conservation easements. I became more familiar with the flora and fauna of Colorado's ecosystems along with how to perform ecological assessments. My supervisors were great and very helpful with any project I was working on. The most enjoyable part of my job was literally everything because I truly enjoyed what I did as it was making a difference for our planet.
Pros
the positive and energetic work atmosphere
Fun and adventurous job in the outdoors.
Forestry Intern (Former Employee) –  Astoria, ORJanuary 7, 2014
A typical day working for the nauture conservancy included hiking through rainforest on the Washington coast. It was a very independent job and most of my time was spent working alone. The management was very good. Both of my boses worked well together and they where very clear with telling me what they wanted me to do. The hardest part of the job was getting used to being alone in the woods by myself all day. The most enjoyable part of the job was being in the rainforest all day.
low pay, no room for advancement. Good balance of personal life.
Conservation Practitioner I (Current Employee) –  OklahomaSeptember 2, 2013
The pay is very low for the education required. Very low oppurtunity for advancement. Upper management somewhat detatched from preserves. Different types of work for diffierent seasons. Get to work outside most of the time and get a good amount of freedom in your work. Very understanding to family matters and personal life. The management that I've observed basically does no work.
Pros
good amount of freedom. balance of personal life.
Cons
very low pay. not much oppurtunity for adavancement.
Meaningful work with a positive balance of both indoor and outdoor work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IdahoFebruary 19, 2012
Working for The Nature Conservancy provided and insight into the non-profit world which was unknown to me. The land acquisition in Northern Idaho during my time allowed for the enjoyment of land for all living plants and animals. The job was challenging and well balanced between general office duties to contract negotiations to trail building and donor parties.
Pros
balanced and meaningful
Cons
small satellite office
Great experience, low pay
GIS Analyst/ Ecologist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXNovember 15, 2014
Loved working for TNC, wish I still did. Pay was just too low after college with my loans. Great, super intelligent, family like co-workers. Outdoor lovers paradise. Good place for an internship.
Pros
people, job, enviroment
Cons
pay
Diversity and Inclusion and environmental conservation based work environment. Excellent learning environment.
Diversity Recruiting Assistant (Volunteer-Intern) (Current Employee) –  Sumter, SCMarch 20, 2012
The Nature Conservancy is company whose core values are based on diversity and inclusion in the workplace and in the environment. During my tenure with the company I have learned the primary responsibilities of diversity recruitment and Human Resources procedures.
Bureaucratic and out-of-touch
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 30, 2012
Leaders pay too much lip service to wanting to build future audience and funders of the next generations, but very little progress made over past few years at successfully lowering average member from 63-year-old white male.
Pros
name recognition as largest environment non-profit, large team of marketers to learn from
Cons
cold, corporate atmosphere, bureaucratic and slow-moving, not progressive
Exciting and Interactive outdoor work
Part-time Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Snow Hill, MDFebruary 12, 2014
The Nature Conservancy provides a lot of welcoming opportunities to forward your career through working in the environment. The projects are exciting and the people you work with are experienced and teach you new techniques. As an intern, its one of the best ways to get on hands work and learn something more than sitting at a desk.

4.4