The Nature Conservancy

The Nature Conservancy Employee Reviews

Great issues and individuals
Federal Climate Relations Staff (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 30, 2015
In this capacity I had the opportunity to work on climate issues at the state level and collaborate with The Nature Conservancy in other states to meet legislative goals.
Conservation Giant
Director of Operations External Affairs (Former Employee), Arlington, VAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: free coffee, no dress code, liberal work environment, excellent health benefits, 401k match to 8%
Cons: too many meetings
The Nature Conservancy is a wonderful place to work. It has the most competitive benefits for a non-profit.

The work atmosphere is relaxed (no dress code).

The building on 4245 North Fairfax Drive just went under a 25 million dollar interior renovation. It is in an open cube environment. State of the art conference rooms. Free ground fresh coffee. Excellent location across from Ballston metro. Great places to eat lunch/dinner.

Parking in the building.
Great Team and staff
Communications and External Affairs Officer (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 14, 2015
TNC is a great place to work. The staff are very accessible and support each other. The team culture is very much alive!
Wonderful organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Conshohocken, PAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: great colleagues, true team effort
Cons: low pay
LOVED my job at TNC as an Administrative Assistant (3 years). The only reason I left was the opportunity to increase my salary significantly doing the same type of work for a for-profit company. I admire TNC's mission and work accomplished around the world. I would jump at the chance to work for TNC again if only the pay was higher...
Fun workplace
Environmental Stewardship (Former Employee), Cape May, New JerseyDecember 17, 2014
This job required groups of people to engage in cooperative problem solving. I worked in a group of eight people with two supervisors. I learned a lot from working with my teammates and we became a real close knit group.
Great experience, low pay
GIS Analyst/ Ecologist (Former Employee), Victoria, TXNovember 15, 2014
Pros: people, job, enviroment
Cons: pay
Loved working for TNC, wish I still did. Pay was just too low after college with my loans. Great, super intelligent, family like co-workers. Outdoor lovers paradise. Good place for an internship.
WORK BALANCE LIFE
CONSULTANT (Current Employee), Washington DCNovember 10, 2014
Pros: telecommute, pay as a consultant
Cons: information sharing.
Great place to work, Fun atmosphere, great people, Decisions are not made as timely as you would like.
People like to work hard, and its fun
Prescribed Burn Crew Member (Former Employee), Victoria, TXOctober 27, 2014
Good management staff, and flexible work schedule. Was a great learning experience
Life changing internship with amazing co workers.
Conservation Intern (unpaid) (Former Employee), Merrillville, INOctober 22, 2014
Pros: working outside, good co workers, dress code was lax
Cons: was an unpaid internship: no benefits
A typical day of work included getting up at sunrise to load up the previously made herbicide into the truck, and meeting up with my supervisor and coworkers. We then deployed the herbicide at any one of our management areas. Treatments were either an individual effort or a team coordination depending on the area we were managing at the time. My supervisor was a walking encyclopedia of both occupational and natural knowledge. I maintained an excellent working relationship with all of my co workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping the quality of work top-notch throughout hot, humid and draining weather.
Amazing Company and Program
LEAF Mentor (Former Employee), Block Island, RISeptember 29, 2014
This was an incredible place to work. The staff and management were so invested in the success of each employee and program. Things were well thought out and well executed.
Excellent organization
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: work life balance, genuine people, strong work ethic
Cons: not much room for career advancement
I enjoyed my experience at The Nature Conservancy. Then only reason i needed to leave was to gain the next level of experience needed in my career at Project Manager.

The people, its mission and the work life structure at this organization are so far ahead of all others.
it empowered students to excel their studies
Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 16, 2014
Pros: new connections with the people you meet
it was a paid internship traveled to Arizona to help construct community based projects, we mapped out an eliminated invasive plants and trees, and other community based projects with students and the Nature Conservancy Agencies. i Learned that you can do any thing ones you set your mind to it an knowing that you have experience outdoors activity we can recreate a more better lifestyle for our self an the community around us. i enjoyed meeting new people and getting to know my pairs
Loved it
Intern (Former Employee), Dublin, OHMay 22, 2014
I loved my internship here. I wish I could find a full time job inside the company.
Amazing Company
Strike Team Specialist (Former Employee), Rock Creek, OhioApril 23, 2014
Pros: to many to list
Cons: grant funded (temporary position)
A typical day involved identifying and mapping invasive species of plants through ArcGIS, the management is full of great people who genuinely care about the employees and the work they do. The hardest part of the job is being able to hike 10 hours a day with up to 40lbs on your back, and the most enjoyable part is the beautiful nature that surrounds you. It is a great place to learn many aspects of conservation, plant identification and wetland ecology. Would highly recommend!
Interactive and passionate people to work with.
Land Stewardship Intern (Former Employee), Delmont, NJApril 22, 2014
- I conducted nature preserve site inspections to note any data of vandalism, illegal dumping, invasive species report, and community outreach.

- I learned the importance and amount of resources that are needed to maintain nature preserve integrity.

- The management was very thorough and consistent. Always made sure the team understood the tasks and were always there for assistance.

- The most difficult part of the job was working a school schedule around volunteer hours.

- The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that my work and data collection would enhance the integrity of nature preserves.
Work that makes a difference
Land Protection Specialist (Former Employee), Nassawadox, VAApril 14, 2014
Every role makes a difference at The Nature Conservancy. It was an honor to be a part of such a progressive and effective organization.
Exciting and Interactive outdoor work
Part-time Summer Intern (Former Employee), Snow Hill, MDFebruary 12, 2014
The Nature Conservancy provides a lot of welcoming opportunities to forward your career through working in the environment. The projects are exciting and the people you work with are experienced and teach you new techniques. As an intern, its one of the best ways to get on hands work and learn something more than sitting at a desk.
Once had a great mission and set of goals now reduced to fundraising and "policy change".
Prescribed Fire Crew (Former Employee), Throughout the USJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: relaxed atmosphere, easy work environment
Cons: management change, focus towards fundraising forgoing the original goal of saving truly great places, job security
I have worked for The Nature Conservancy for over ten years off and on doing mostly seasonal fire work. It was a great place to work and learn until management changed a few years ago. Now there is a large focus on fundraising, government relations, and policy change.
This is in stark contrast from the on the ground conservation effort that was at the heart of The Nature Conservancy. I know people who had been employed by The Nature Conservancy for many years starting to leave in favor of a more true conservation minded organization. It is such a shame because it used to be such a rewarding place to work. In short if you are truly interested in real conservation work and "saving the best places on Earth" I would advise against The Nature Conservancy.
A challenging and fun work environment
Stewardship Intern (Former Employee), Boulder, COJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: the positive and energetic work atmosphere
My typical work day was enjoying the great out doors doing field work on various conservation easements. I became more familiar with the flora and fauna of Colorado's ecosystems along with how to perform ecological assessments. My supervisors were great and very helpful with any project I was working on. The most enjoyable part of my job was literally everything because I truly enjoyed what I did as it was making a difference for our planet.
good
Invasive species crew member (Former Employee), Elkins, WVJanuary 19, 2014
Worked as part of the CWPMA invasive species crew in all weather conditions. Monitored sites before and after treatment. Treated Hemlock Wooly Adelgid. Planted grass seed. Read maps. Coordinated with various agencies, groups, and landowners. On one occasion, assisted Forest Service personnel when they monitored rare plant species.

The Nature Conservancy Salaries

$11.50 per hour
Crew Leader
$13.56 per hour

The Nature Conservancy Photos

Stumbled upon a batch of unhatched patch of eggs