The Nature Conservancy Employee Reviews

Great organization to work for and great mission
Urban Programs Manager (Former Employee) –  Delmont, NJDecember 8, 2017
Fantastic organization. Just hard to find a clear career path. It is very easy to get engaged with the mission of the organization and have a desire to go above and beyond for that reason. However, you must be care not to burn yourself out and always look for professional growth opportunities.
Great work environment
LEAF Intern (Former Employee) –  Cody, WYOctober 3, 2017
Working with The Nature Conservancy was a great opportunity and helped me gain the necessary skills to survive in the work place. It is a great learning experience for anyone who wants to work with preserving our worlds national beautiful landscapes and help protect the environment.
Pros
Free living space, T-shirts, and water bottles
Cons
Only available to high school students
Lovely Team
Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  JamaicaSeptember 17, 2017
Not for Profit organization. Productive and dynamic environment , wonderful team mates, works towards the mission of the organization. Global reach!
Fast, varied, exciting days of work
Biological Field Technician II (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSSeptember 7, 2017
You never knew what kind of work day you were walking in to. It wasn't boring very often and there was a variety of science based projects all the time. The dress code was very casual field ready. Most the people at The Nature Conservancy are like minded conservationists that want to make a difference.
Summer work for TNC
Forest Restoration Technician (Current Employee) –  Pulaski, NYAugust 14, 2017
I worked for the NNY chapter for the 2017 summer season. There was always work to do, so the weather never held our crew up. If it was nice out we were in the forest, if it wasn't there was always data analysis and project research to be done. The core values and mission of TNC flow through each project and team leader.
Pros
Able to construct my own hours
Cons
Limited hours for overtime
Great team who cares
AmeriCorps Youth Education Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 3, 2017
I held a position with the nature conservancy that was funded by the AmeriCorps so I received a living stipend and education award upon the completion of my contract.
Very hard work and a lot of land management.
TAMUC Internship (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXJune 2, 2017
A typical day at work was just cutting brush out in the fields. I learned about land management and how to use herbicide. The hardest part of the job was working in the heat of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was when it was cool and cloudy.
Pros
Free lunchs
Cons
Working for free
Proud to Intern with a Company helping to Save our Planet
Environmental Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2017
Interning here has to be one of the best experiences prior to it being my first official job. I am glad to be part of the 2015 LEAF (Leaders in Environmental Action for the Future) Alumni, representing that our generation is involved in protecting the various and gorgeous natural treasures within and even around our environment.
Pros
Constant Hands-On Field Work
Ranch Intern
Paid Internship (Former Employee) –  Hayden, COMay 1, 2017
One of the best internships an outdoor education enthusiast/environmentalist could have had. I obtained skill sets that I would have never had the chance to learn had I never worked on a cattle ranch/preserve.
Team-Based collaborative environment
Senior Project Director (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 28, 2017
The Nature Conservancy employs the top conservation scientist and program development professionals in the field. However, the constant re-organization of priorities means that layoffs are frequent and unexpected.
Pros
Top-rate Environmental Professionals
Cons
Layoffs common
Great organization to work for.
Land Steward (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKApril 21, 2017
Great organization to work for. Good benefits and work schedules. Great staff and directors. Fun and upbeat work environment. Get to spend lots of time outdoors.
Challenging, complex global company
Chief Financial and Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 18, 2017
Interesting work, flexible work schedule, in a dynamic and growing global not-for-profit organization. Large corporate staff, and finance and operations managers throughout the organization.
Pros
Competitive salaries, good benefits, employee-friendly work environment
Fun environment
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 1, 2017
Great place, get the feel of a cubicle. Advance the ladder quickly. A little bit of luck with a little bit of skills put me in the Coordinator position. Allowed me to feel what managers feel in the office environment... and it is not easy as it seems.
Pros
Quickly advance the corporate ladder
Cons
it was contract
n/a (Current Employee) –  MichiganMarch 20, 2017
The worst. The absolute worst of the worst. Do not recommend. I could not have had a worse experience with poor management. The. Worst. Worsttttttttttt.
Pros
They're doing great work in theory.
Cons
They're a hot mess.
Wildland Firefighter/Fleet Manager (Current Employee) –  Loveland, COMarch 5, 2017
TNC works hard at maintaing a great life to work balance while allowing a livable wage. The main office in Boulder is a bustling place where people are happy to come into work.
Pros
Good location and people
Cons
overtime does not always get paid
Good cause corporate culture
Stewardship Technician (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CA 93001February 22, 2017
My typical day at work consists of dealing with the day-to-day operations of 7 leases on farms across Ventura County. Other days I contend with trespass and vandalism issues across 3,500 acres of riverine, foothill and coastal wetland habitat.

I learned about contract management and negotiation, managing property records and taxes through an on-line work enterprise cloud computing program called Salesforce. It's an office heavy job requiring time management, constant communication, managing deadlines and constantly putting out fires.

The hardest part of the job is being in confrontational situations where you have to talk to people who are trespassing on private property and aren't the nicest people usually.

Workplace culture is very ambitious, corporate and not very diverse; not very much recognition is handed out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is sometimes working with volunteers and kids in school groups outside.
Pros
Great health care benefits, 401K, great mission
Cons
Not diverse, management can be improved, not much upward mobility
Non-profit volunteer position working for a leading conservation effort
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 21, 2016
Produced and created marketing contact for social media and quarterly newsletter. Conducted research and interviews for current conservation efforts.
Pros
Interesting and important work
Cons
Highly scientific
Great Job, New Experiences!
Silver Creek Intern (Former Employee) –  Picabo, IDDecember 20, 2016
This summer job was a great experience for me because it allowed me to step out of my comfort zone of being a city girl and enjoy the mountains. From living in the city to a farmhouse was different but amazing at the same time. The staff members were very friendly.
Productive and Fun working out in field and with crew
Dune Restoration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, MIDecember 4, 2016
Working out in the field while having a good time with fun crew and knowing you are helping the environment is very meaningful. Typical day includes traveling to work site in company vehicle and then beginning on removal of invasive species either by manual or chemical depending on the weather. Were not working alone and always had the company of coworkers/crew who provided the ideal fun but working hard ethic needed to "get through" the day
Volunteer Organization
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 26, 2016
This was for an Eagle Scout project and its was a pleasure to work with them. I only had one contact to the organization but they were flexible and friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Nature Conservancy. Our community is ready to answer.