The Nebraska Medical Center Employee Reviews

Run don't walk
Intern (Former Employee) –  RadiologyJanuary 17, 2017
A typical day in the diagnostic X-ray/fluoroscopy department includes unprofessional employees (with 1-2 exceptions) battling ancient equipment. All the press about Nebraska Medicine leads people to think it is a world class facility, but the x-ray department is running on equipment that barely functions half the time. Techs consistently make mean, judgmental comments about patients. The hardest part of the role was staying positive about my profession in such a terrible environment. I don't care what their trauma center rating is...I would not go there for any reason based on my experience "on the inside".
Not the best
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 7, 2017
The coworkers were great to work with but management was unorganized and horrible.we never had the right supplies to do our job we would spend almost an hour looking for materials
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Have to pay for lunch management was horrible. Never had the supplies we needed to do our job
A good place to work
Applications Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 16, 2017
Processes are well defined. Management is in the loop for the most part. The people in the IT departments are professional and very helpful. I enjoyed my 16+ years at Nebraska Medicine.
Excellent career opportunities, benefits and job culture.
Resource Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 9, 2014
Processed purchase orders, monitored medical inventory (Inventory Control), resolved product backorders and recalls, assisted shipping and receiving, worked with The Nebraska Medical Center's Product Committee in evaluating new products, filled in as a supply technician when needed. Worked closely with vendor representatives and clinicians to resolve supply chain issues. Most difficult was trying to substitute backordered items for neonatal intensive care unit. Most enjoyable and most satisfiying part of job was knowing that patients where getting the best possible care.
Pros
Excellent career opportunities, benefits and job satisfaction.
Cons
Department and job position was outsourced.
Patient First
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 27, 2013
Great, fun environment to work in. I furthered gained knowledge regarding state and federal programs available for patients.
Management assists and supplies needed information to complete job.
Great coworkers who are always willing to help when they have the knowledge to.
Hardest part of job is that not every phone call ends with the patient totally happy, sometimes because they were not happy with results or because issue could not be corrected.
Best part of job is coworkers and the grateful patients who we are able to assist.
Pros
Coworkers. Free parking. Medical benefits.
Cons
No way to advance. Poor communication.
High volume and fast paced workplace.
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 13, 2013
On any given day at The Nebraska Medical Center, I was required to review 50-100 rejected claims to correct errors and submit to the insurance company. Worked closely with the certified coder in the clinic to correct ICD-9 and CPT codes to allow clean claims to go to the insurance company. Would review patient demographics and insurance information and make any corrections needed. Assisted co-workers with understanding of coding processes, and how to appeal denied claims.

Two most enjoyable parts of my job:
Working with the patients to resolve any issues with their insurance claims and/or statements.
Ability to find and help co-workers find a solution to a coding problem. I would contact insurance representatives, research coding guidelines on various websites (Medicare, Medicaid, AAPC) and contact former co-workers until the problem was solved.

Pros
Patient satisfaction was priority, flex schedule, great health benefits and PTO.
Cons
No cons, truly enjoyed working at the Nebraska Medical Center.
Workplace
Patient care attendant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 26, 2012
I usually sat with patients that were fall risk and If ask I would assist RNs and CNas with patient care. What learn from this job that there are variety people, who have fall risk catogories. The mangement was great when it come to the employee needs. The only co-workers were the RNs and CNAs,who seem to be very helpful. The hardest part of the job was the taking care of two patients who were going through detox and you could not restraint them. The most enjoyable of the job is when people regonize who you were at the job.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
n/a
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 30, 2015
They have pay and benefits, love the patients and other employees, management in the café are very unprofessional at times
Work experience was variable
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 13, 2013
Each unit has its own culture and each day was different. Management encouraged and looked for student but often did not budge when it came to school/work conflicts.
Pros
huge variety of units and settings to work in
Cons
extremely poor employee benefits: expensive cafeteria, pay for parking spots, costly insurance premiums with few choices
stable rewarding work
Special Chemistry Lab (Former Employee) –  Lead Medical TechnologistNovember 5, 2011
Competitive wages, great benefits, and room for advancement if you so feel inclined. Continuing education was required which is a good thing for you and the employer.
Great organization, excellent senior team - approachable, common sense, down to earth.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 9, 2013
The Nebraska Medical Center is truly an amazing organization for both employees, patients and their loved ones. There is a warmth here that touches everyone. I hope to spend the rest of my career here, but given all the uncertainty in the healthcare industry today, and the fact that I am a single parent, I have to be proactive and look at opportunities outside the organization.
Pros
excellent leadership, fiscally prudent, warm and caring culture.
Cons
very slow to remove management members who do not walk-the-talk and are not a fit with the culture, pay is not on par with other health care organizations in the region, some resistance to change by more senior employees is impeding growth & innovation.
Not room for advancement
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  food serviceOctober 4, 2014
Not room for advancement. Managers are not professional. I work full time with part time benefits.
Pros
I work with many nice people
Cons
no room for advancement
I was a very sttessful jobl
Medical Secretary and medical transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 4, 2015
Typed medical reports, learned medical terminology. Management not too fair, co-workers worked hard. Much overtime demanded. I liked the fact that I learned a lot.
Pros
Knowledge I learned.
Cons
Long hours and uncaring management.
Patient Attendant Technician
Patient Attendant Technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 16, 2016
Typical day consist of monitoring patients ensuring that they do not harm themselves or others. Monitor video feeds, alert staff of any adverse situations. Hardest part of the job is sitting with unruly patients. Best part of the job is that there is an opportunity to do homework (students) on shift.
Don't work in EVS
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 18, 2015
No advancement opportunities, unprofessional management, disorganized, overworked and underpaid, too much favortism and negatism, and EVS managers are the worst ever!
Pros
Meeting nice patients and their families
Cons
No advancement opportunities, unprofessional management, disorganized, overworked and underpaid, too much favortism and negatism. EVS managers are the worst managers ever!
No typical day
Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 23, 2014
There is not a typical day in my present position, there are new issues that arrive every day when dealing with a facility as large at the The Nebraska Medical Center. I have grown so much in the past six year learning so much about what it takes to make a facility of this size run everyday and even the amount of work it would take even in a smaller amount. I have some of the best co-workers that I have ever had in my career so far, everyone really works as a team to get everything done. The one thing that I have really enjoyed is work on budgets, it amazes me every year how we are able to fine tune (reduce the budget) and still keep everything running.
Waiting till July
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 12, 2014
Horrible upper management!!!! Great place to learn new things. We treat sickest of the sick but are the lowest paying hospital in omaha. Nurses that have been with company for years make as much as new hire grads. They don't appreciate hard work. They won't hire more staff because they think our overflow is "temporary". Our hospital has been full and no ICU beds daily since last year. So much so that we have had to start using PACU as rooms for patients because we have no room. We also have to recover our patient in the rooms sometimes because there's either no staff in PACU or no beds.
Department management is good but they can't get anything done because upper management is too concerned about money than patient safety and quality.
Pros
Good place to learn, see unique surgeries, department management
Cons
Pay to park, upper management sucks, pay is horrible, food is expensive, parking is horrible, wishy washy CEO, doctors get away with anything, care more about $$$ than patients
Large organization with many challenges
Clinic Manager, Clarkson Family Medicine (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 16, 2015
The Nebraska Medical Center was a large organization trying to fight for market share in a very competitive medical industry. My role was to manage a family practice medicine program by over seeing the daily operations of the clinic. This meant I had to make sure everyone was abiding by JCAHO standards, OSHA standards, Medicare and Medicaid guidelines. It also required me to supervise a staff of 18 residents, 7 faculty and 25 employees.

I was responsible for writing and enforcing policies and procedures outside of the Nebraska Medical Center that applied to my specific office. I had to have monthly meetings with the staff to educate and train them on the new policies and procedures.

I implemented and designed two electronic medical records systems. As part of this process I had to set up a schedule to ensure all employees, physicians and residents were trained on how to use the system.
Pros
Large variety of duties, ability to work closely with employees.
Cons
Too many politics.
Great Job
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 6, 2016
this was a Great job with one sad down fall and that was that the most part of the patients died due to their illness. I love the patients and helping them. it was a great place to work
Pros
helping others
Cons
People dying
Community of caregivers
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 17, 2014
A typical work day was doing rounds getting to see old patients and meeting and greeting new ones.

I learned that we all vulnerable and that we all need someone in our corner one time in our lives.

Management include workers in decisions making concerning the care of patients.

Coworkers were extremely pleasant wot work with. they enjoyed giving care to their patients.

The hardest part of my job was loosing a patient.

The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the patients walk out well and whole.
Pros
free lunches and dinners, a celebration is always taking place
Cons
no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Nebraska Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

The Nebraska Medical Center Reviews by Location