The New School Employee Reviews

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2017
Great place to work. Dealing with students was rewarding. the workplace culture was a mixture of different cultures. The most enjoyable part of the job was showing up every day to a new challenge.
The New School
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2017
As a Federal Work-Study employee, The New School ensures that I have enough time in my week to balance both school work and actual work. This is so because I am allowed a maximum of 20 work hours per week, and if need be and I must leave work for class or any other class requirement, I am allowed to do so, and make up for my lost hours at a later time.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay ($10, $5 below minimum wage).
typical day
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2017
I learned clerical and administrative duties. My supervisor and co-workers were friendly and supportive. I used my computer skills to help me on my everyday duties at the office.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Pretty Great
Dispatcher / Campus Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2017
I can honestly say that this job is great! My Supervisors and my Directors are an awesome staff! I thank you for hiring me and adding to my experience!
A learning experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at the New School. Even after my work study ran out the school found a way for me to continue in the Dean's office both years I worked there. I found, with the variety of superiors I worked with, as well as the many events I was asked to participate in, the experience to be very rewarding and educational.
Pros
occasional free lunches, good staff support, good hours
Cons
The rules about student workers limited the kinds of hours I could get, but I understood why that was the case.
Financial Aid
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2016
The worst place to work! Low pay, no training, lazy supervisors and high turn over. I would rather be on welfare than to work there. Run away if you can and read all the views on that place!!! Good Luck
Supervisors think by using fear they will get the job done, NOT! They need to get up off their fat butts and so work and maybe things can function. Every week someone is resigning for that school...LOL
Pros
Everyone hates working there
Cons
Over worked! Plantation
Great experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2015
Working here was one of the best jobs i have had so far. All the staff was on the same page and everyone was treated equally. Everyone worked well together and it showed through our work.
Working as a student at The New School
Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2015
The work environment at The New School is great, unfortunately, student workers get not only no benefits, but also, pay is very low. This especially affects grad student workers, who are likely taking out loans to put themselves through a graduate program.
The New School
Cashiering Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
typical day at work, greet all the students as they enter, print out the students class program, make payments toward their tuition. I learned how to make updates different software and spread sheets.My coworkers were very friendly and always willing to assist when needed. the hardest part of the job was making sure I made the accurate payment amount. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and being that it is a university learning some of the courses the students were taken.
Pros
Meeting new people and professors.
Cons
when parents are unable to make a tuition payment.
Watch engineer for hvac chiller plany.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2015
Great team helping each other to work efficient on chillers. Management was always willing to help you out and back you up.
Great Culture and People
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2015
I enjoy my time working at The New School. The staff is helpful and amazing. Very open and accepting atmosphere. Flexible schedules for student workers.
Pros
Culture, people, flexibility
Cons
Not many benefits as a studnet workers, Once you graduate you can no longer be a graduate assistant
Great environment surrounded by creatives
Director of Social Media & Communication (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2015
Challenging fast paced collaborative environment with plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. Great foundation to develop skills as a designer.
Great Support Staff, Too Bureaucratic
Director of Student Affairs (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2015
People need to remember we are still in the education industry and not in the dog-eat-dog world; we are here to assist students to better prepare them for their future
Pros
Great support staff, amazing students
Cons
Management, too much work, no sense of work-life balance, work up to 60 hours a week
Pretty cool place
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2015
Very flexible hours. The supervisors are very attentive to the concerns and questions of the employees and make the workplace an inviting environment.
Good place to start
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2015
Great school, very diverse. Meet great people and learn different cultures. Some staff can be annoying to work with. Can be unprofessional at times. A lot of politics around the office.
Pros
Provides part time education
Cons
Work environment isn't great
Flexible work environment
Fielwork Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2015
I feel very happy with this organization, they are very prompt in answering any questions I may have.
Management are extremely helpful.
I enjoyed the flexibility of making my own schedule.
Pros
Flexibility to make my own schedule
Cons
The students were not as informed about the supervising protocols
na
Admissions Temp (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2015
good company to work for. relaxed work environment and great atmosphere. tuition and union benefits are great. great place to start at the bottom and work your way up.
Freidnly and Diverse workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2015
• Assisted university faculty, administrators, and staff with general office work, answering phones, delivering mail, proofreading, e-mail and phone queries involving courses, professors, and university procedures
Fun workplace and great place to work for college students
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 5, 2014
Typical work day included hanging out with the kiddos and keeping them safe during each station.

Great place for college students to work. The management works really well with your schedule.
Over all enjoyable community to be a part of.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARNovember 26, 2013
A busy place, with alot of activity. I learned how a private school operates in a positive setting for children to learn and grow. Learned several business systems, banking, transfers, grew in accounting skills. Most enjoyable part, watching the kids, getting to visit with the parents. Making friends with teachers.
Pros
Holidays, the children, the teachers
Cons
Leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The New School. Our community is ready to answer.

The New School Reviews by Location