The New School Employee Reviews in United States

Great experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2015
Working here was one of the best jobs i have had so far. All the staff was on the same page and everyone was treated equally. Everyone worked well together and it showed through our work.
The New School
Cashiering Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2015
typical day at work, greet all the students as they enter, print out the students class program, make payments toward their tuition. I learned how to make updates different software and spread sheets.My coworkers were very friendly and always willing to assist when needed. the hardest part of the job was making sure I made the accurate payment amount. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and being that it is a university learning some of the courses the students were taken.
Pros
Meeting new people and professors.
Cons
when parents are unable to make a tuition payment.
Watch engineer for hvac chiller plany.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2015
Great team helping each other to work efficient on chillers. Management was always willing to help you out and back you up.
Great Culture and People
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2015
I enjoy my time working at The New School. The staff is helpful and amazing. Very open and accepting atmosphere. Flexible schedules for student workers.
Pros
Culture, people, flexibility
Cons
Not many benefits as a studnet workers, Once you graduate you can no longer be a graduate assistant
Great environment surrounded by creatives
Director of Social Media & Communication (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2015
Challenging fast paced collaborative environment with plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. Great foundation to develop skills as a designer.
Great Support Staff, Too Bureaucratic
Director of Student Affairs (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2015
People need to remember we are still in the education industry and not in the dog-eat-dog world; we are here to assist students to better prepare them for their future
Pros
Great support staff, amazing students
Cons
Management, too much work, no sense of work-life balance, work up to 60 hours a week
Pretty cool place
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2015
Very flexible hours. The supervisors are very attentive to the concerns and questions of the employees and make the workplace an inviting environment.
Good place to start
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2015
Great school, very diverse. Meet great people and learn different cultures. Some staff can be annoying to work with. Can be unprofessional at times. A lot of politics around the office.
Pros
Provides part time education
Cons
Work environment isn't great
Flexible work environment
Fielwork Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2015
I feel very happy with this organization, they are very prompt in answering any questions I may have.
Management are extremely helpful.
I enjoyed the flexibility of making my own schedule.
Pros
Flexibility to make my own schedule
Cons
The students were not as informed about the supervising protocols
na
Admissions Temp (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2015
good company to work for. relaxed work environment and great atmosphere. tuition and union benefits are great. great place to start at the bottom and work your way up.
Freidnly and Diverse workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2015
• Assisted university faculty, administrators, and staff with general office work, answering phones, delivering mail, proofreading, e-mail and phone queries involving courses, professors, and university procedures
Fun workplace and great place to work for college students
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 5, 2014
Typical work day included hanging out with the kiddos and keeping them safe during each station.

Great place for college students to work. The management works really well with your schedule.
Over all enjoyable community to be a part of.
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARNovember 26, 2013
A busy place, with alot of activity. I learned how a private school operates in a positive setting for children to learn and grow. Learned several business systems, banking, transfers, grew in accounting skills. Most enjoyable part, watching the kids, getting to visit with the parents. Making friends with teachers.
Pros
holidays, the children, the teachers
Cons
leadership
Not a very inclusive job culture.
Student Financial Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 25, 2013
If you thrive in a culture of fear, then this is the place for you. Non-communicative management with little or no people skills rule the roost in this atmosphere of favoritism and overwork.
Worst Job I Ever Had
Student Financial Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2013
A typical day included being overworked and micromanaged. Directors have no communication or people skills and policy changes on a whim. Fosters a culture of fear and depending on a supervisors mood, can become a stressful and hostile work environment leading to errors being made then punitive action taken.
Pros
one hour lunches, helping students
Cons
incompetent management, very clique oriented
Productive Environment for Youth
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2013
Most days consisted of tutoring children ages 11-17 in all subjects, organizing and assissting in small workshops, maintaining order amongst the youth, etc. I would occassionally give necessary progress reports to my employers. My employers often asked me to assisst im events outside of the after school program. The majority of my co-workers were far older than myself. The most difficult part of the job was disciplining which was very rarely necessary. I Have A Dream Foundation was an amazing environment not only for the children, but for myself as well.
Pros
competitive pay for a full-time student
Cons
little work hours
Great experiences and exposure to new trends in higher education. I enjoyed my stay and had great job satisfaction. I worked with minimal supervision
Visiting University in Exile Research Scholar (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2013
Conducive working environment and was excited about going to work because there was always something new to learn. The management was helpful and professional and the co-workers were also helpful and cooperative. The hardest par of the job was presenting concepts from a foreign culture to a multi-cultural society making sure that all participants benefited. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new trends in higher education
Pros
challenging and rewarding experiences
Cons
healhcare
Ok place to gain work experience
Admin Asst. (Former Employee) –  New YorkDecember 28, 2012
This was a decent place to work, however; the Directors that worked there sucked. If upper management changed and some staff members changed, this would be a better work place. The other part of the job that sucked was the money. If a person works hard and has to learn so many steps and functions, I believe they should have the compensation that says we appreciate all you do, here's more than 35K. People with BA degrees need more than 30K and a better benefit package.
Pros
great location
Cons
salary, upper management
Healthy work environment
Administrative Assistant (Human Resources) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2012
I enjoy working for The New School. Its a fast paced work environment, but colleagues are supportive of one another and help out where they can to get the job done efficiently.
Pros
wonderful view, diverse workplace
Cons
n/a
Gret Company
Receptionist (office of the President) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2012
Great Company