The New York Foundling Employee Reviews

productive
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 1, 2017
This job is flexible and manageable. workers are supportive with one another. This position requires you to travel and document all contacts made. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to advocate for youth in foster care with their education.
Pros
flexibility
They call themselves "evidence based therapies"
psychiatry (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 31, 2017
They train green, out of college, staff, pay them poorly and overwork them. If you disagree with their therapeutic approach you are ostracized. Feels like a cult.
Psychiatrist and Nurse Clinicians leave all the time because they are taking extraordinary risks with very fragile patients.
Trust me, walk away.
Pros
Difficult to think. There are some good, honest people
Cons
Supervisors have knowledge only of their quasi "evidence based" therapies, no knowledge of psychology or psychiatry.
Don't walk, but run the other way.
FFT-CW Therapist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 13, 2017
Unpredictable and long days.

I did not learn anything, as I was already well rounded prior to coming on board with the foundling.

Management needs to take management classes as they do not know how to relate or speak to their employees.

The workplace culture was like High School (very catty).

Dealing with supervisors who do not have your back, as well as any idea of what they want in terms of proceduces and paperwork, as it changes every week.

Meeting and working with wonderful families.
Pros
Worked with great families
Cons
Pay sucks for the amount of work assigned, management pretends to care about the families they serve but it is just a job to them, no advancement unless you kiss up to them.
The New York Foundling
Disability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYApril 9, 2017
the job was basically about helping young men with disabilities develop skills that they would need living on there own. you would be basically be supervising them with there daily routine.
Fun and clean
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  590 6 Ave NY NYMarch 10, 2017
We play with the kids. we feed them and try to let them feel comfortable and protected. They take a shower or we bath them if they are babies. We try that the kids and the place stay clean all the time. And we monitored them while they are sleeping at night.
Interesting to say the least
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2017
As a case planner a lot is expected of you with little help in regards to how management oversees your work. Tend to have unrealistic case loads, to many kids for one employee, which cause you to spread yourself thin. Everything is about meeting deadlines, which is acceptable, but there is also an evident preference culture. Therefore not every employee adheres to the deadlines. Overall the culture within the foundling is positive, but the case planner role within foster care is not.
Pros
Free food at times
Cons
Compensation
High turn over and burn out
Therapist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2016
High turn over with constantly changing staff due to burn out of type of work. Funding from acs equires additional protocols and paperwork in addition to regular documentation.
Pros
exposure to intense high risk cases and don't need clinical experience
Cons
High burn out, high turnover, not sustainable long term work.
Not A great place to work
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 5, 2016
This is a an agency that looks out for their employees. The will underpay you while trying to get you to do do more than what you were hired to do. It fine for just building your resume
Clients are amazing, management... not so much...
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 24, 2016
Enjoyed working there because of clients but management was a joke... or non existent. They were overworked therefore we were overworked. At the end of the year, after all your work, you're given a mug and a speech at a Christmas party. A nurse is "available" but direct care support does most of that sort of work for a fraction of what a nurse is paid. Overall, at the end of the day, it's a lot of work, but the clients make the shenanigans worth it... wish it paid more. Also, when I worked there, the amount of hiring and firing was ridiculous, lots of favoritism and such going on...
Pros
Benefits, clients are a joy
Cons
No breaks, mandatory shifts due to being understaffed, management unorganized
Incompetent supervisors and modern slavery of employee
Socio-therapist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2016
Social worker and Socio-therapists; cases are overloaded ; and there is no help from administration. Working for the department of therapeutic foster care at this agency is like being a slave on a cotton field . All they want you to do is work overtime without no pay; and when you want to take vacation time or anytime that you earned they make it almost imposible for you to use your time. Management is a joke and they have supervisors that have no idea what they are doing and instead of helping workers, all they do is make cases worst. On top of all of this they treat the children in foster care like puppets and they don't care about their emotional well being. They also work their workers to the point of burn out and sickness. Working in this particular department has been on of the worst experience in my life.
Pros
health benefit, 403 B
Cons
overload case work, hard time to take vacation or any time you worked for, long work hour, exposed to mistreatment from management
At The New York Foundling i have learned so much from everyone.
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2015
I love this job because I can give back to these minors a smile or even a few encouraging words. At The Foundling the staff are all great we get along with each other and we work as a team at all times.
Exciting place to work
Crisis Case Worker, Blue Sky MST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2015
Checking up on clients at home. Escorting clients to school or probation. Making sure you connect youths with pro social activities.
great place but
Direct Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYDecember 2, 2014
great place to work but management wasn't stable and there was always a shortage on supplies for clients
enhancing and uplifting ones way of living on a daily basis
Relief Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Westchester, NYSeptember 25, 2014
Provided one on one care for clients (personal and hygienic)
Transported clients to appointments and to community functions/events. Administered medications during the different tours. Assisted with food preparations and distribution. Assisted with providing a safe haven for our clients. Ensured that clients dietary needs were met through meal planning.
Great security and job advancement
Functional Family Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2014
This job was excellent in growing as a mental health counselor and supervisor. In addition, one had the opportunity to work from home when there were no meetings in the office. Finally, the team was supportive and the position included benefits.
Pros
Flexible schedule and being able to work from home and the office
Cons
Being on call
Management needs to be more supportive to their staff
Interventionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2014
I worked with the agency for over two years and the management wasn't supportive when asked for additional trainings to help me do my job. As an Interventionist under the FFTCW I felt that my supervisor didn't support me when asked questions.
Pros
my co-workers other Interventionist and Therapist where great
Cons
The job is 24 hour a day job always doing paper work as it has to be in within 48 hours
very active work place
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 10, 2014
I enjoyed my time there. the work load was very intense from the first day, and I was able to have a large case load and tend to all of my clients.
interact with customers
Disability Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ardsley, NYMarch 12, 2014
We work as a team.We meet new people everyday.That's not a bad company to work for.
Excellent social service agency with many opportunities for professional growth.
FFT-CW Therapist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 29, 2013
I was a home-based therapist, servicing families of at-risk youth throughout Brooklyn. It was a tough job, but the NY Foundling gave me a lot of support. I received thorough training in family therapy, I was given all of the technological tools I needed (laptop, cell phone), and my supervisory experience was excellent. I decided that home-based therapy was not a good fit for me, but I would highly recommend the Foundling for anyone who wanted to enter this field.
Pros
Excellent training seminars, upward mobility.
Cons
Produce better outcomes for the juvenile offenders
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 19, 2013
Getting the opportunity to make a significant difference with the juvenile offender population and work with admirable staff was a tremendous experience.