The New York Public Library Employee Reviews in United States

culture of incompetence
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2016
I've worked at NYPL for 5+ years, 1+ year at the current position. it's fairly laid back environment. With 7hr/day work schedule, some come to work at 7am, while others at 11, and leave at 3 pm to 6pm. My current position is with IT -- it's a small group, but it is always difficult to work with IT managers who are always defensive and technically lacking. My typical co-workers weren't exactly the creme of the crop either. The hardest part of my job was to convince them to change or improve their way of doing things -- some IT managers were quite blatant BS artists and they were more interested in hiding their problems. After working in the public sector all these years, I came to understand why some IT failures at large gov't agencies (eg, IRS, Obamacare website) are inevitable.
Pros
benefits, vacation, flexible hours
Cons
managers, not the creme of the crop
Productive Workplace
Assistant to the Vice President of Public Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2015
The staff were exceptional. Great place to work. The location is excellent. Great when it comes to technology and cutting edge information technology.

The working conditions are excellent. My co-workers were excellent. The hardest part of my job was dealing with inconsistency.
Pros
Benefits, lunches, location
Cons
Direct management
One Day
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 29, 2015
Working here was a great experience for me and my growth. People here are friendly and helpful. This library provides many resources and benefits in many various ways.
Pros
Many availability services and information
Cons
Can get loud in children's section at times
Productive and relatively stable work environment.
Accounts Payable Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2014
A typical work day included dealing with vendors and internal departmental customers to resolves payment inquires as well as instructions to internal customers. I have learnt that hard work, dedication and commitment to duties and deadline can bring about reward and satisfaction in a work well done.
Co-workers were mostly supportive and created an atmosphere of team work and support.
The hardest part of the jobs was sometimes having to relentlessly pursued end users to timely submit approved invoices so that supplier can be paid timely.
The most enjoyable part of the work was the praises and compliments of well satisfied customers.
Pros
4 weeks’ vacation and 12 holidays.
Cons
healthcare, vision and dental plan
Very productive, Proffesional work Enviroment , Strict ,Diversity in Patrons,Flexible work Hours ,Many benefits
Office Aide I (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2014
A typical day at the new york public library includes helping patrons check books in and out, working on millenium system placing books on hold and creating library accounts.

Ive learned to Multi task with high volumes of customers,Improved on customer service skills .

Co-Workers are the branches are very helpfull and eager to improve work enviroment .

The hardest part of the job may be. dealing with difficult patrons or patrons with dissabilities

The most enjoyable part of the job is you get to interact with people from all different walks of life .
Pros
lots of benefits, union
Cons
short breaks if your part- time and also less benefits if your a part-time worker
Great place to work!
Young Adult Librarian (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2013
I didn't realize how great it was to work here until I left and moved out of state. It was wonderful being part of NYPL. I especially liked working with the people of NYC. The benefits were outrageously good, I don't believe many citizens receive benefits like this anymore.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
low pay, especially for nyc
work
Library Senior Page (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 10, 2013
flexible with school and work schedules. Library Page's don't get any benefits. Hardest part of the job is trying to maintain everything organized. Good place to work for.
Pros
flexible with hours
Cons
no benefits
No growth
Assistant Computer/Senior Page (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2013
Shelved books
Assisted Supervisors and patrons
Schedule timesheets
Pros
short hours
Cons
short hours, and no company benefits for part time
Terrible.
Page (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 3, 2013
This branch is absolutely horrible. There is no room to move up. You will always work 19 hours maximum until you graduate and look for a position as an information assistant which requires a degree. In addition, the superiors there are very power hungry and nosy. I suppose since working in a library can be boring they make up lies and rumors about you to please themselves. In general, many of the superiors are watching you and out to get you. For some reason they like to see the pages get in trouble and since this position is at the bottom of the totem pole there is absolutely nothing you can do. I would never recommend anyone work here. I have every intentions of filing an official work-related complaint. Keep scrolling, do not apply. Also your checks will be about $280 every two weeks. Barely enough to survive.
Pros
decent pay rate, good breaks, relaxed work day
Cons
no respect from superiors, mistreatment, no room for advancement
A good job for students
Senior Page (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2013
The position I held was good for students due to their flexible hours and decent pay. Best part of the job was working with a group of people around my age group. They were easy to get along with. The job itself is very easy; we process incoming books and handle patron requests. The toughest part of this job is handling the changes happening at the NYPL. They are closing 2 branches and consolidating them into our branch, making things hectic.
Pros
hour long lunch break, flexible hours, great people
Cons
can only work 19 hours per week, no room for advancement
Nice organization, but sketchy job security for new hires
Specialist III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2013
NYPL offers the opportunity to use your expertise in a way most organizations will not. Co-workers are interesting and working with the public can be rewarding. The downside is the budget has been slashed over the years and rumors linger that it could be further whittled down. As a result, morale is low and a lot of people are touchy about job security.
Peaceful
Computer Page (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 5, 2015
Working at the library would was a pretty peaceful job. It was like working in a store but without all of the hassle and confusion that some customers may bring about. The job was to reorganize bookshelves, provide customer care when needed and to just make sure the library was presentable looking.
Pros
quiet
Interesting Library
Children's Librarian Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
New York Public Library is an interesting place to work at. It was very fast paced and you serviced a diverse group of person you could think of. Working at NYPL was really a great experience, it kept you on your toes and you were never bored. I always tell people if you could make it at NYPL you could make it any any other library in the world.
great people, working environment and great benefit.
Barcoding Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2013
I was very lucky in getting the chance to work for the New York public library. I have met great people and worked for a great team. It was a pleasure to work there. Also, I've learned a lot from the job on how the library system works. from the processing of the books to the landing the items to the library patrons.
Pros
great working environment and benefit .
Cons
the contract is too short.
Health and Wellness Day and Training for staff
Library Information Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2011
This company provides training for staff members to help enhance their skills and keep us up to date while on the job.
They also have a day dedicated to health and wellness when staff get to try new or improved items or services from different vendors.
Cons
work on saturdays
Was a page at the libary
Library Associate (Page) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 7, 2014
was a page at the libary responsible for filing books and magazines...i had to file at a timely fashion
Pros
great job easy fun
Cons
boring the workers suck
your co-workers
Asset management Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2014
I met some good people at the library. Smart and willing to help.
Review
Office Associate II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2012
New York Public Library Consistantly busy with people coming in to take out books and getting library cards.
A very productive place to work.
Senior Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2013
The job consisted mostly of data entry work and customer service.