The New York Times

The New York Times Employer Reviews

Productive organiation
Administrative/Sales Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: having the paper every day
Learn to deal with over 200 project managers for different part of the weekly news paper. I can speaking with clients in Europe on day and the next I am speaking with someone in Florida. All for the love of jounalism.
Fun with a side of pressure.
Publishing Distribution Center (PDC) Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: fulfilling
Cons: high pressure
My typical day at The Times usually consists of at least 25 phone calls about various things. It's a big machine with a lot of departments heading to the same goal, so it can be chaotic trying to get things in motion. There's a lot of pressure during deadlines which are obviously everyday since it's a daily paper. The people I work for, and who work for me are amazing and dedicated.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the pressure of having small windows of opportunity to fix an issue, but when things work out, it's a great feeling.
Consistent hours
Advertising Designer (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: steady income and benefits, possibility of overtime
The newspaper was a lot of hard work and overtime for many years. As the technology gained, the work load began to diminish drastically in the last 5 years. I enjoyed the hustle & bustle of always being busy. This made the work day speed by. There was great satisfaction in outputting a quality product. I definitely miss the busy world of newspaper, as it once was. It felt like the job was my "calling" and leaving there, left a huge void.
Not very family friendly
Technical Assistant (Former Employee), Campbellsville, KYJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: one hour lunch breaks
Cons: bad management/leaders, the raises was not good and did not keep up with the economy.
A typical day is showing others how to resolve issues with either handling issues on our side or the customers side and being patient when handling the older generation when trying to teach them how to use or solve issues they may be having. What I dislike the most about this job was that even family emergency got counted against you even with a doctors approval. The point system they used for late or absent workers gave no room for sick family members. Management very condescending and no empathy shown to workers. The most enjoyable part was helping out the customers and knowing that I did a great job and solving their issues.
Good source of income.
Pressman, Delivery Driver, Mailer (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: seasonal
Operating insert machines or printing presses, I learned to safely operate heavy machinery. Co workers very helpful and supportive. Most difficult part of job is variability in work schedule, most enjoyable part of job is satisfaction of a job well done.
The New York Times Printing Plant, Flushing NY
Attendant (Current Employee), Flushing, NYDecember 26, 2014
Pros: flexibility, time off
Good place to work for if you've been in the industry for a lengthy time. Nice management, staff, and work environment.
Very nice environment to learn and excel
Automation Test Engineer (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 18, 2014
It was always a fun working at NY times. This was the time when Iearned to work in a very fast paced environment. At the same time it was fun working there as employees are given resposibilities for their work and one can work at his or her liberty.
Great Office Enviroment
Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Lake Success, NYOctober 1, 2014
Friendly environment, I learned a lot about financial statements
the world's preeminent media institution
Columnist, Backfield Editor, Deputy Editor (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 26, 2014
The New York Times is the mainstay of global journalism, in my not-objective opinion. It is not perfect, but it upholds the standards of fearless and thorough journalism more highly than most others, and is the go-to source for most decision makers. So much of the media is now polarized and slanted, that my biggest fear is what the world would be like if the Times were to disappear.
a newspaper company good place to work
mailer /machine operator (Former Employee), Edison, NJSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: normal breaks are given
A Place where everyone helps each other to get the paper stack on pallets to get put on trucks to be delivered in different cites ,good people to work with ,Everyone helps if things get back up
Great company, management could stand to improve
News Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 13, 2014
Pros: good pay for journalsim industry, nice environment to work in
Cons: ineffective management, lack of communication, little diversity
The Times puts out an amazing product each and every day which is very special to be a part of. The people in this building are brilliant and the job will always be intellectually stimulating.

However, management is horrible and moving up often requires kissing up to the right employees or having the right last name or degree from the right school, if you catch my drift. Very cliquey culture that doesn't do a great job or rewarding large efforts. Talking to a manager takes combing through layers and layers of bureaucratic walls and often leaves with the impression that you are not appreciated as an employee. There is also not much diversity although they preach it like it's gospel. Most of the people of color work in the administrative or clerical positions and never get chances to move much higher than that.
was able to assist customers when they were in need
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Greensboro,NCSeptember 9, 2014
Great learning experience and was great help with gaining customer service skills
The New York Times is a great place to work!
Advertising Operations Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 6, 2014
Pros: amazing projects, resolving conflicts, best clients/agencies
Cons: reporting to several vp/executives throughout the day, non-stop meetings
A typical day in Ad Ops is fasted paced and involves putting out a lot of fires. Your expected to troubleshooting problems such as insertion orders or reporting campaign metrics. You will learn to think quickly and multitask. Your best ally is your internal network. Aligning yourself with your agency or vendor will also help you resolve any problems. The layers of Management at the Times is thick, you might report to 4-5 individuals in one day. Most of your day is spent in meetings, training and collaborating over new projects. You rarely leave at 5 PM and if your clients are on the West coast or International they will require advanced planning or prep to meet any after-hour needs. The most rewarding part is hearing from a happy client/agency. Each Ad Ops Manager strives to exceed the clients expectations and meet internal company goals.
a
Independent Financial Consultant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 22, 2014
Responsible for the accounting, budgeting, and tracking of a $3 million dollar CRM implementation project. Responsibilities include: applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles relating to capitalization of internally developed software, developing ROI models, providing management with analyses of GAAP irregularities, and using other analytical techniques to provide cost/benefit analyses of various subprojects (such asī‚žEconomic Profit, Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR), and payback analysis).
Exciting and fun workplace
QA Analyst (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great place to learn
Cons: no room for advancement
The New York Times is a exciting and fun place to work. The company is very family oriented. There is a very diverse work enviroment which makes for an exciting place to work. I came here as a intern and have been here for close to nine years. I have learned
many new skill working in the IT department. I started in the operations department working on with the Tivoli scheduler. I was then hired as an entry level PeopleSoft developer. I am now workking with Peoplesoft security for PeopleSoft Finance and HCM.
Fun place to work
Technical support (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 24, 2014
With a mix of systems, you can never be bored. Management is great and really values hard work. Since I was a consultant, benefits was non-existent. If I were a FT employee, I would stay.
a place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 11, 2014
It was okay working there. It was just getting established so there were alot of things they needed to work out still.
Outstanding
Advertising Service and Production Specialist (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 8, 2014
Great working environment! Benefits A+++++++. Career growth opportunities.
productive fun place to work
Internship as Graphic Designer (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 15, 2014
It was a very pleasing experience to be part of The New York Times design team. I learned many new techniques in
InDesign, Photoshop and how important is the time. It is very important that work is completed in advance. I learned how to resize the advertisement for the newspaper and the magazine.
I also learned filing system for the marketing department.
Printing was part of my responsibility as well, I had to print my work for the proof reading. Communication is very important at New York Times. The best way is the email and drop box,
because it is the easiest form of sharing files. I also learned how to work as a team and learn as much as I can from others.
Great atmosphere and interesting people
Supervisor, Compensation Administration (Former Employee), new York, nyApril 30, 2014
Every day was exciting and went quickly. Supervisor and co-workers bright and interesting. Work was challenging

1 2 3 4