The New York Times Employee Reviews

Customer Service, with a real good on site cafe
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 24, 2016
*Exciting work experience
*Fast paced culture
*Great Co-workers
*Call Center
*Fun Customer interactions
*On-site Cafe
*Recognition for performance
Pros
Call center experience
Cons
Job task compared to pay, Favoritism
Team player environment
Art Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2016
Some of the best people to work with. Creative experts, design on a dime pace daily sections. Designed visual solutions for newspaper section covers. Reduced production cost 50% by negotiating contracts yearly to stay within budget expenses. Provided design direction to editors, journalists, photo editors, columnists and section heads for lead stories and breaking news events. Maintained time sensitive daily deadlines with section leads to close on time.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
Management Failures
A building full of smart and passionate individuals
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2016
A building full of smart and passionate individuals whose core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information.
Dream of my typical job day
Scholar and intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2016
I would want to work for a non-profit computer engineering firm that has interdisciplinary projects. The common theme for this organization would be the development and integration of computer technology into different facets of everyday life. There would be an architecture division that would oversee the creation and implementation of building designs for low income residents so they will have adequate housing. There would also be an educational component where we would partner with local schools to provide tutoring services in math, computer science, and other related fields for students who would not have access otherwise. In addition, we would fund internship initiatives, so that high school juniors and seniors would have field experience in their chosen majors.

A typical day at my job would consist of arriving at my office to meet staff and develop a weekly agenda to review project progress. Members from each division would report on their timeline for completion. Community residents that need assistance, would have a case manager who would present their issues, and then the team would brainstorm ideas on how to best help the residents. During lunch, our organization’s culture would be to share lunch time so that everyone can feel comfortable with each other and work in a spirit of cooperation. Later in the day, interns will arrive and all staff members would have at least one high school student to teach technology materials so that young students can fully understand about the technological world.
Pros
Available of changing shifts
Cons
less holiday
The premier news organization in America, with the best overall staff.
Staff editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2016
The New York Times was a challenging and fulfilling place to work. I appreciated working with the best journalists in the world, striving to reach and protect the highest standards in the industry.
Good structure and good benefits
Production Manager, The TimesCenter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2016
Good work-life balance and well staffed. Seems to have been a lot of overturn lately with the market going more digital, but aside from that, its steady. Good leadership.
Company with great mission, passion and pride. Leadership in transition and focused more on bottom line than its employees
Vice President (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
Great teams, good colleagues all working towards the same mission. However, the leadership team is new and very focused on the bottom line, sometimes at the expense of its employees. The culture is transitioning - becoming less focused on people and the mission .
Pros
Great mission, good flexibility
Cons
Lack of career development, poor internal communications
no comment
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 30, 2016
horrible employer,rotten place to work for a t a call center, i hated it. poor working conditons and supervisors recommend nobody work there
Pros
Cons
plenty
Productive work experience
TECHNICAL SUPPORT REP (Former Employee) –  Rockleigh, NJJanuary 14, 2016
Enjoyable place to work with a very positive and upbeat work place. Team members were positive and fun to work with.Daily tasks usually kept us busy over the course of a shift.
Global multimedia Giant
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 23, 2015
During the 23 years at the New York Times, I have witness the rapid reorganization of the management team and the technologies tools to presently identify the New York Times as a Global multimedia giant and with an excellent product reputation.
Pros
Excellent work environment.
sales and marketing
Marketing, Turn Key Solution (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 8, 2015
Sales and marketing selling the new York times paper and getting customers their sunday paper to them. great workers hardest part was getting customers to get the paper with the technology out but overall the commission was geat
productive and wonderfull
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
I Learn a few different stuff from the new york time , i have a such good experience like i learn how to make a different comunication skill like costomer service, Barista and cashier.
Encouraging also comfortable working atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 1, 2015
Assist customers via e-mail or telephone about account inquires. I have always displayed my careful approach to evaluating all situations for the best outcome with wonderful training at APAC.
Awesome comapny
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2015
The New York Times was the best job I ever had. I truly enjoyed working for the Times. I got to work and collaborate with very talented and smart people on sales and marketing projects to enhance, build and sell the brand. I designed and built over 100 websites, banners and marketing collateral.

I love the brand and the culture at NYT. I grew professionally as well as personally when I was at NYT. Learning about the history and the force that is The New York Times was amazing, and me proud to work for such a prestigious company.

The culture was progressive, because even in 1998, the publishers knew digital publishing was the wave of the future.
Pros
Great culture, educational benefits
Best work ethices
Intern (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 29, 2015
Best place ever workd at with nice co-workers good leader and great enviroment.
Everybody whom worked with me treated me like family
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Intern
My job and experience.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 1, 2015
I love my job because its an pleasure to assist customers. I love having to be able assist customers with an issue they may have. My job is to tell the customer know they are appreciated.
Contract work
Lead Customer Service Agent, Serco (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMay 1, 2015
The New York Times contracted with another agency to operate a call-center for New York Times customers.
The contract ended, leaving numerous workers without security and made no effort to assist their employee's in moving into another agency or finding another job inside the call center.
Customer satisfaction
Administrative Clerk (Temp) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2015
A typical day would to researching customer accounts to verify they have no outstanding unpaid fees.If they do, make collection calls. Also, review vendor contracts for rate adjustment eligibility. Co-workers and management were professional. I liked talking to the variety of clients but, the hardest part was getting them to pay the bill.
Pros
Dealing with the public
Cons
Making collection calls
Best place I ever worked
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2015
Highly political, but what place isn't?

Enlightened management.

Great technology challenges.

Engineering is respected.
Pros
Colleagues, beautiful building
Cons
Politics
A demanding job with a very formal workplace culture.
Employee Benefits Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2015
At the New York Times Corporation I worked in the Personnel Department as an Employee Benefits Accountant. I supervised 6 college students who were trying to verify many pension records, sort of a disaster recovery effort--and I also filled out tax forms for the corporation. The corporate culture at the time involved a lot of wining and dining and meetings, meetings, meetings. I also wrote a handbook to guide the corporate controllers through certain personnel accounting practices. The atmosphere at the corporation was almost academic and formal, but everybody was very friendly. The New York City police ("New York's finest") often could be found in the corporation's cafeteria-- I guess they had some sort of arrangement which helped maintain security in the Times Square area. I am sure that things are different now, its been a long time, but I am also sure that the spirit of the company is still very much alive and going strong.
Pros
Very intelligent co-workers and a structured, formal, environment.
Cons
One had to love New York CIty to live there; I missed small town life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The New York Times. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval