The New York Times Employee Reviews in United States

productive and wonderfull
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2015
I Learn a few different stuff from the new york time , i have a such good experience like i learn how to make a different comunication skill like costomer service, Barista and cashier.
Believe everything you read in the NY Times, except for those stories where you have personal information.
Project Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2013
I enjoyed everything about my job at the NY Times. The work was interesting. The people were great. AND the management was enlightened.
Pros
educated & intelligent staff. the lunch room conversations were wonderful.
Cons
peculiar business culture. "free papers" were only for vp's.
The New York Times is a great place to work!
Advertising Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 6, 2014
A typical day in Ad Ops is fasted paced and involves putting out a lot of fires. Your expected to troubleshooting problems such as insertion orders or reporting campaign metrics. You will learn to think quickly and multitask. Your best ally is your internal network. Aligning yourself with your agency or vendor will also help you resolve any problems. The layers of Management at the Times is thick, you might report to 4-5 individuals in one day. Most of your day is spent in meetings, training and collaborating over new projects. You rarely leave at 5 PM and if your clients are on the West coast or International they will require advanced planning or prep to meet any after-hour needs. The most rewarding part is hearing from a happy client/agency. Each Ad Ops Manager strives to exceed the clients expectations and meet internal company goals.
Pros
amazing projects, resolving conflicts, best clients/agencies
Cons
reporting to several vp/executives throughout the day, non-stop meetings
The New York TImes
Systems Support Coordinating Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 14, 2012
The New York Times, I regret leaving there. It is a great place to work, the people there were the best. Working there you can never expect everyday to be the same.

I have learned that The New York Times although it's having its pit falls right now, it is still a great place to work for. The only hard part about the job is pleasing everyone and saying, "no".

My co-workers were great and were always very supportive. If I were able to thank them all I would, maybe a little something here on indeed, "Thank you, Photo and System Support department."

That reminds me of the best part of the job as I can remember. Everyday was inspiring, really no joke. People would complain, but no place is prefect. But when you leave, many times you wish you were back.

By the way, I am now a subscriber to The New York Times digital print. I still support it, because it is the last front.
Pros
all good
Cons
the job security is low
Highs and Lows
Contractor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2014
Reputable company, but very reactive in decision making.

No free lunches or even free coffee. Times are changing and its remiss of any company to not offer benefits that compete with top brands like Google, Netflix, etc.
Pros
well-known brand
Cons
sr. management lacks vision
Vendor Day
Human Resources Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2012
A typical day at the Times, I would be contacting the venue and in house corporate employees via email through Outlook on the Times Network in obligation of organizing vendor day on a specific day. All vendors had the option to present their product and give these busy corporate employees opportunities to shop for computer products, ipads/pda, cellular phones, gyms sign up, and get a monthly back rubs. Besides that I had other projects that I would have to handle hands on with no other co-workers like networking through Times Facebook website, and broadcasting vendor days via email and flyer. Other assignments were to set up conference rooms for the vice president of HR and his staff. The hardest part of the job was getting to and from the job on no salary internship and every day i had to do mountain of work from several different departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was the free perks from all the vendor that came through at the Times.
Pros
gain corporate experience
Cons
no pay
Outstanding
Advertising Service and Production Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 8, 2014
Great working environment! Benefits A+++++++. Career growth opportunities.
Great Place to work
Sales Representative (Healthcare) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2013
The New York Times is a great place to begin a career. Management is always looking to help you grow and succeed at your daily roles and always willing to provide help when asked.
Exciting and fun workplace
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 8, 2014
The New York Times is a exciting and fun place to work. The company is very family oriented. There is a very diverse work enviroment which makes for an exciting place to work. I came here as a intern and have been here for close to nine years. I have learned
many new skill working in the IT department. I started in the operations department working on with the Tivoli scheduler. I was then hired as an entry level PeopleSoft developer. I am now workking with Peoplesoft security for PeopleSoft Finance and HCM.
Pros
great place to learn
Cons
no room for advancement
Contract work
Lead Customer Service Agent, Serco (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMay 1, 2015
The New York Times contracted with another agency to operate a call-center for New York Times customers.
The contract ended, leaving numerous workers without security and made no effort to assist their employee's in moving into another agency or finding another job inside the call center.
Fun place to work
Technical support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 24, 2014
With a mix of systems, you can never be bored. Management is great and really values hard work. Since I was a consultant, benefits was non-existent. If I were a FT employee, I would stay.
a
Independent Financial Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2014
Responsible for the accounting, budgeting, and tracking of a $3 million dollar CRM implementation project. Responsibilities include: applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles relating to capitalization of internally developed software, developing ROI models, providing management with analyses of GAAP irregularities, and using other analytical techniques to provide cost/benefit analyses of various subprojects (such asEconomic Profit, Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR), and payback analysis).
In 8 years I am ready to advance in my career
Computer Support Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2013
Thee are no current positions within the company for me to move into, and all positions over the last two years that would be available were closed within the employee left the company. Dividing their responsibilities among workers remaining some of which not being compensated correctly for the level of work being performed. As a desktop analyst I am filling the role more of a Network Administrator, and Jr. Windows Administrator.
Pros
cell phone service paid by company in this position
Cons
no advancement, annual percentage increase almost nonexistent.
Honored to work for the world's greatest newspaper.
Regional Circulation Manager (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAFebruary 14, 2013
I had a great career at The Times and enjoyed every minute of it.
Pros
excellent salary and benefits.
Cons
extensive travel.
Fun with a side of pressure.
Publishing Distribution Center (PDC) Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2015
My typical day at The Times usually consists of at least 25 phone calls about various things. It's a big machine with a lot of departments heading to the same goal, so it can be chaotic trying to get things in motion. There's a lot of pressure during deadlines which are obviously everyday since it's a daily paper. The people I work for, and who work for me are amazing and dedicated.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with the pressure of having small windows of opportunity to fix an issue, but when things work out, it's a great feeling.
Pros
fulfilling
Cons
high pressure
Excellent Opportunity with Large Newspaper Facility
Promotions (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 11, 2012
This position taught me patience and tenacity. Although I loved the position itself and the newspaper organization was a wonderful place to be, I worked with a man (my direct supervisor) who hated women (his wife used to call me first to learn if it was viable to call him) but was very talented so he was able to remain in charge. I was the sole promotions person in a five county range and worked with a large variety of companies as well as non-profit organizations.
Pros
great learning opportunity
Cons
misogynistic supervisor
Great pride!
Color Production Analyst Pre-Press Production (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2015
Working at the New York Times Newspaper was an exciting fast paced environment that I took pride in being an integral part of newspaper operation. Seeing a client's advertisement that I personally worked on in print everyday and knowing I played a integral role in the creative and reproduction of that particular ad was very satisfying, even more so when the client would Thank me for how well their advertisement appeared in print.
Pros
being in new york city everyday
No contact with other co-workers
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 30, 2013
Daily routine of customer service,daily paper work, counting papers.Management was not very helpful with problem solving and management only show up when there was a problem. Co-workers work very well together. Delivering newspapers at the last minute and using a map to create a route list in the early morning
Pros
free coffee and prizes for good customer service
Cons
early morning work, seven days a week
Best work ethices
Intern (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 29, 2015
Best place ever workd at with nice co-workers good leader and great enviroment.
Everybody whom worked with me treated me like family
Pros
FREE LUNCH
Cons
INTERN
The New York Times Printing Plant, Flushing NY
Attendant (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYDecember 26, 2014
Good place to work for if you've been in the industry for a lengthy time. Nice management, staff, and work environment.
Pros
flexibility, time off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The New York Times. Our community is ready to answer.