The New York Times

The New York Times Employer Reviews

Great company and smart people
IT Audit Supervisor (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 21, 2013
Great company to work for it. Amazing working environment and smart people
Inspirational place to work. The quality of the journalism provides a useful yardstick to measure how great you must be.
Director, Marketing (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 23, 2013
The New York Times is a very collaborative and matrixed working environment, where different skill sets, backgrounds and departments are brought in to solve business problems.

I learned how integral it is to build consensus around ideas. If the strategy is sound, the creative experience meaningful and the urgency real, it still does not matter. You – more... have to work at developing buy-in, nurturing cross-discipline relationships and cut your confidence with a bit of humility.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with how the process can stunt speed and agility, which is critical in marketing and advertising.

The most enjoyable part is the knowledge that what I am promoting is incredibly meaningful to our consumers. It's not a utility or commodity. It's not news; it's The New York Times. – less
Worked as offshore part with Cognizant Technology Solutions
Java/J2EE Programmer (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 21, 2013
Pros: good working environment
Experience working at offshore was good. Learnt many technologies and had a good work atmosphere.
Believe everything you read in the NY Times, except for those stories where you have personal information.
Project Management Consultant (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 12, 2013
Pros: educated & intelligent staff. the lunch room conversations were wonderful.
Cons: peculiar business culture. "free papers" were only for vp's.
I enjoyed everything about my job at the NY Times. The work was interesting. The people were great. AND the management was enlightened.
Honored to work for the world's greatest newspaper.
Regional Circulation Manager (Former Employee), Torrance, CAFebruary 14, 2013
Pros: excellent salary and benefits.
Cons: extensive travel.
I had a great career at The Times and enjoyed every minute of it.
Incredible Experience
Article Photographer (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 11, 2013
It was an eye opening and amazing experience to work with one of the biggest newspapers in the world.
Great Place to work
Sales Representative (Healthcare) (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 4, 2013
The New York Times is a great place to begin a career. Management is always looking to help you grow and succeed at your daily roles and always willing to provide help when asked.
Still living in the past.
Multimedia Producer (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 3, 2013
Very much a fishbowl environment. Office hours were casual, though - you didn't have to be there at 9am.
Energetic and Invigorating environment.
Manager Admin/CEP (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 12, 2012
Pros: proud to work there.
Cons: these were my workaholic years. work/life hard to juggle.
The New York Times is one of the most recognized brands in the country. I find media and technology an amazing feat. It is mindblowing how many people and moving parts it takes to put out a daily newspaper and have local distribution partners throughout the world deliver a quality controlled product. The most enjoyable part of this job was coordinating – more... our Competing Through Quality Meetings. These were a week long, quarterly awards ceremony event that would be co-hosted by one of our printsite parners. – less
If you enjoy a merry go round, apply.
Advertising/ Sales Liaison (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 22, 2012
Pros: good bonus excellent benefits
Cons: too stuck up
One job is like any other-The grass always looks better on the other side. A Very corporate environment with their noses possibly touching the ceiling.
it had a wonderful office environment
Manager of Operations (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 1, 2012
Pros: able to obtain news and information about the world
i learned alot while working there and made alot of important contacts there
Perfect
Office Clerk (Former Employee), New York CitySeptember 19, 2012
* Responsible for Mail Delivery in the Advertising Department ensuring the accurate delivery of
important mail and packages to the Advertising Salesmen and personnel
* Responsible for keeping a supply of back copies of National and Metropolitan Editions of the New
York Times to ensure the proper functioning of the Salesmen in Display Advertising Department – more... and
Retail Advertising Department
* Maintained the back copies supplies for all of the Classified Advertising Department's
* Process urgent requests for information requiring delivering packages to the whole Classified Advertising
Department and Advertising Department
* Perform Maintenance on the Fax Machine's and the Oc'e Coping Machine, performing as the key operator
* Ensure all office machines are in proper working order and supplied with sufficient copies paper for
continuous operation
* Order office supplies and perform other clerical functions for the various
* Act as the Liaison with the Madison Square Garden account to make sure that tickets for events,
concerts, New York Knick's basketball games, Ranger's hockey games, dog shows, etc. – less
Fun place to work
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 2, 2012
Excellent opportunity for interns. Great for networking and finding resources.
Summer Internship
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 31, 2012
Great company to work for. Lots of opportunity and networking for employees and interns.
Productive and professional workplace.
Staff Editor (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 28, 2012
I worked in the different daily sections of the newspaper, which made for variety in the work week.
Meeting deadlines could be challenging some closing days, but that is par for the course in this business. I liked the adrenalin rush followed by a sense of accomplishment.
Vendor Day
Human Resources Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 12, 2012
Pros: gain corporate experience
Cons: no pay
A typical day at the Times, I would be contacting the venue and in house corporate employees via email through Outlook on the Times Network in obligation of organizing vendor day on a specific day. All vendors had the option to present their product and give these busy corporate employees opportunities to shop for computer products, ipads/pda, cellular – more... phones, gyms sign up, and get a monthly back rubs. Besides that I had other projects that I would have to handle hands on with no other co-workers like networking through Times Facebook website, and broadcasting vendor days via email and flyer. Other assignments were to set up conference rooms for the vice president of HR and his staff. The hardest part of the job was getting to and from the job on no salary internship and every day i had to do mountain of work from several different departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was the free perks from all the vendor that came through at the Times. – less
Nice Company to work for
Northeast Circulation Sales Representative (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 8, 2012
Pros: great job
Cons: victim of downsizing
The last ten years with the company I worked out of my home. The job included extensive travel throughout the Northeast - great co-workers and management. I've held various positions with the NYT and work for related companie.
benefits are great
Customer Service (Former Employee), Davenport, IAJuly 27, 2012
Pros: great union benifits
Cons: upward mobility is slow
company as a whole does well for their employees by providing good benefits and will work with your family life as a signal parent. Of course everyone has issues it is a hard company to move up in.
Productive and energetic
Saleswoman (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 23, 2012
It was a fun place to be at. I got to meet a lot of interesting people. The building is located in the heart of Manhattan.
Productive and Nice place to work
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee), New Hyde Park NYJuly 19, 2012
I worked for this company for 25 years and I have grown and learned a lot over those years.