The News & Observer Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
High-end journalism created by smart, focused individuals.
Director of News Design (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 6, 2015
The N&O allowed me to rub elbows and learn from some of the best journalists I had met – or have met since. They were ambitious, aggressive and trained to hold government officials accountable. Afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted – that happened here.
Pros
Colleagues.
Cons
Long hours.
They still are trying to be a PRINT company
Sales executive (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 12, 2015
A New Consultant is changing many things at the paper. People are leaving left and right. 5 reps in last 3 months. Management is old school and believe they are working if they have meetings about meetings all day long. I havent seen a manager on a sales call in a year.
If you are looking for a job until you get a real job or want a job for about 6-8 months this is the one for you. If you can swim well and survive a sinking ship you are also in the right place. Highly negative environment and reps seem scared of management, especially the VP of sales.
Pros
Good health benifits
Cons
Negative environment, low pay, SINKING SHIP, Print is dead
My overall appraisal is outstanding
Press Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 30, 2014
The News & Observer was an outstanding place to work for employees. The bosses were kind and respected their workers and workers respected them. The job that I had to do was explained very well and I had no problems with the job. Co-workers were also good.
My overall rating of The News & Observer is outstanding.
Pros
breaks as scheduled
Cons
N/A
Award-winning news and information organization
Food and Fitness Editor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 4, 2013
The News & Observer newsroom was a deadline-driven environment that coaxed the creative potential from a hard-working staff. Managing writers and designers and seeing them achieve beyond expectations was the most rewarding aspect.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The News & Observer. Our community is ready to answer.

The News & Observer Reviews by Location