The Nielsen Company Employee Reviews in United States

Great work environment
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLFebruary 10, 2016
The office environment is a very positive one with good pay and great benefits. Supportive staff and Nielsen is a large multi-national company so advancement is plenty possible all over the world.
Pros
great work/life balance, good pay, great benefits, supportive team
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Trevose, PAApril 6, 2016
Great work - life balance. Opportunities to work from home. Great corporate culture. Very innovative, large company with opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Great work - life balance
Cons
Large company - sometimes hard to get to know people you work with
Fantastic place to start your career. You can learn what it means to be apart of bigger working process.
Global Data Delivery Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Independent of locationOctober 22, 2015
This is a very process oriented company. Like any mid-large sized organization it has a lot to account for in terms of validation and sign offs. Rightfully so when considering the budgets they work with. Would highly recommend starting your career at this company or coming in as a director or higher role. working your up in between can be tedious because of the politics involved. This is a warning in any company hierarchy.
Pros
Great place to start a career, The company is a strong advocate to teaching and learning, they will help you get certified in just about anything you desire, Great culture with great managers.
Cons
Certain managers do not fit in with the company culture and values, could pay their employees a bit more, could allow more vacation time for US workers, Long holidays are generally only granted to Europe counterparts
Promising Job, Improper management
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLJuly 21, 2015
While the job pays well, and the opportunity for advancement was there, I was taken advantage of. Many people here did their job incorrectly, which in turn made me do work from other departments in the company (as well as my own boss's work which he called his own). This kept me from utilizing my full potential at work and created a lot of stress for me.

I was working 50+ hours a week, and the company even "forgot" to get my information for benefits which I lost.
Pros
Pay, Opportunity for Advancement
Cons
Poor Management, Unwilling to change Policies that are detrimental to company
Cutting edge market research firm
External Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 20, 2015
On any typical day, I am digitally sending out surveys, updating vendors and collaborating with other teams.

I have learned so much about market research in my three years at Nielsen. I have specifically been exposed to ho incidents rates are determined, or what percent of the populations....

The toughest part of the job was the work life balance. Market research is a 24 hours business and clients expect answers asap.

The most enjoyably part of my job would be working with other teams to help facilitate collaboration. Specifically I have worked on a mobile survey initiative, an incident rate process as well as a cross team integration program.
Once a great company to work for, no so now
Representative (Former Employee) –  FieldMarch 2, 2016
Nielsen Media Research (TNC Holdings) (The Nielsen Company) when I went to work for the company valued employees and the important contribution they made to the company. The field representative jobs paid well and included great perks like a company car, $50 per month toward Internet expenses, a company cell phone and laptop and top of the line health insurance.

Unfortunately cost cutting company wide has resulted in cuts in benefits, increases in workload and reduction in staffing to the point that most field representatives work 50 to 60 hours a week just trying to get the minimum job requirements completed.

Homes that agree to participate in the sample are called co-operators or co-ops. Our own agreement with these homes states they can stop participation any time that they want. But that is a lie! Homes will contact you and state “I want you to pick up the equipment for…..” ie its bulky and ugly(it is), you call me all the time (we do), you have been to my house 4 times in the last 6 months (it likely), its causing my TV to not work properly (again its likely), you just don’t pay me enough for all the hassle involved (we don’t).

But management will in most cases not let you simply do what the panel agreement between the co-oprating household and the company says which is end their participation at any time. You will be asked to lie to the home, avoid contact with the home or schedule an appointment to pick up the equipment more than 2 months away. If the home gets tired of waiting for you to get the equipment, and unplugs it all? Then the home faults for 60 days
  more... affecting your performance numbers negatively and lowering your yearly performance evaluation.

Local management knows the goals that are set are unsustainable but they are afraid to say anything for fear of losing their own job so when an employee falls behind on work that is becoming increasingly impossible to complete on time and to required standards local management instead of pushing for more headcount to even out workloads throws the employees under the bus and terminates them for failure to complete job expectations.

One employee worked 50+ hours per week in 2015 and received a job evaluation of 3 out of 4 possible points. Not too bad right? Wrong he was then informed that if he performed the same in 2016 they would only be rated a 2 out of 4.

How is it possible that the same performance this year as last year could result in a lower performance evaluation? The company uses a 10-70-20 grading scale for employees in each local market. That means 10% can be graded 4, 70% can be graded 3 and 20% must be graded 2 or 1. That means if there are 7 employees to manage a 600 home NSI market and a 80 home NPM market that only 1 employee can be rated a 4, 4 can be graded 3 and that 2 must be graded a 2 or a 1. Regardless of actual job performance.

Don’t get me wrong the job sounds amazing. Work from home, self-scheduling and a flexible schedule. A company car, phone and laptop.

But remember if your working 50 to 60 hours a week with weekend work expected as well how much free time are you going to have?

There are better companies out there to work for with better management and a much better work life home life balance.
Pros
company car
Cons
work life ballance, unreasonable job expectations, poor management
Great work environment, below avg. pay, poor work/life balance
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2015
Everyone at the company is fun to work with. Further, they are all more than willing to bend over backwards for you and help out any way possible.

The pay is well below average (and no bonus for anyone below the Manager level). Promotions are based off time spent at the company. The work/life balance is awful, typically working 70+ hour weeks receiving below average pay.
Pros
Culture, Work from Home, Casual Dress Attire, Coworkers
Cons
Work/life balance, Salary
too many young undisciplined kids
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLNovember 6, 2015
poor management, uneducated supervisors, horrible organization. no room for advancement, policies that contradict each other, management does not know all the rules and policies, very poorly trained staff, disrespectful workers that do not follow rules and policies.
good media
LEAD RESEARCH INTERVIEWER (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLMarch 23, 2016
great for working nights. hardest part of job is management
i have learned how to interact and engage better with people. the most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that you learn so much from speaking to different kinds of people
Biggest mistake I have ever made
Membership Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 3, 2016
Unattainable goals set after first few months. Only top 10% of reps in the country are given enough work to obtain goals for bonuses. Constant threat of being fired for not meeting goals of 3 house holds per week but only have 2 eligible to sign up.
Pros
Car, (2 wheel drive) on road in any conditions
Cons
Far too many to mention
Good perks like company car and gas card but no room for advancement
Marketing Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2015
A job With great flexability good perks and good people,
but not much room to make Money or move up in company.
overtime very hard to work they make it almost impossible for
you to have and pay raises vary.
Pros
company car, company computer
Cons
long hours no overtime
Very diverse and great place to work
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLMay 5, 2016
I currently work part-time and Nielsen has been very flexible with work schedule. I've learned a lot about working in a professional environment and how to persuade! A typical day at work is very relaxed and usually time flies. My job is to call different households and persuade people to agree to fill out a TV Diary. As for management, my group leader is excellent and always around when I need help. Most of my co-workers are very nice and friendly, although I mostly interact with those on my team. The hardest part of the job is making sure you are not breaking neutrality, miscoding phone calls, or incorrectly probing. You definitely need to know your stuff or else quality will eat you alive. The most enjoyable part of the job definitely has to be when you get those few people who are excited that Nielsen has finally called them, they make the job much more happy.
Productive and team effort counts.
Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLMarch 21, 2016
Nielsen is a great place to be employed, As a worker, I met great people who are positive and want to see you succeed. Usually it is dreadful to present yourself to your duties but I enjoy working at Nielsen. A typical day at work would consist of answering phone calls helping our clients regarding there questions or concerns, responding to emails within a professional time frame and documenting files that go through our logging system. I learned how to operate Microsoft word, Power-Point, Excel very well and understood that team work makes an increase in production expectation. Having a stable relationship with my co-workers is vital because as agents we have to complete tasks everyday. Usually the hardest part is becoming a leader towards the other agents who are new or already been there.
Pros
Occasional free food.
Cons
Short breaks
Fun work place
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLApril 15, 2016
I enjoyed talking to the respondents on the phone. Although the you have to overcome a lot of objections. Great co workers nice schedule 9-3 Tuesday-Saturday. Don't ask for a weekend off during cycle!!!!! Co-workers were great! Management has their favorites. Team leads Micro manage a lot. High goals and quality monitors all calls high mark off for 1 mistake.Beautiful cafeteria but interviewers do not have the time to go!😂
BIG CON : the work is seasonal part time 5-6 weeks on and anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks off . All thru the year especially Off from mid November thru Christmas so you need to balance and work overtime if available.
Pros
Nice break areas, massage chairs
Cons
Short breaks work is seasonal part time
Stay far away from this company!
Finance (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJuly 6, 2015
Worst total compensation package in any industry...if you don't kiss butt your bonus opportunity will reduce from year to year (it carries forward). Can work from home whenever but no room for advancement as they add tons of productivity! Not remotely close to the GE culture they claim to come from!
Pros
Flexible work arrangements
Cons
Horrible compensation and no room for growth
best place to work in this oraganisation
QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 4, 2016
From this organisation ,I learnt a lot in difficult situations while handling the project with co-workers.

I had good support with managemet they supportd a lot while deliverying the project .

I like the environment to work in this company. there are so many opportunities for our career growth .
Its great but no stability
Senior Automation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLMarch 7, 2016
The Pay rate, Work Life balance everything is great but there is not stability. every two or three months you have to worry if you have the project or not.
used to be a great place to work - now you're never quite sure your job exists tomorrow
Executive Vice President & Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2015
Executive management is good - mid management is only interested in themselves - not the employee
Outsourcing has destroyed the culture
Pros
still the research leader
Cons
may not be keeping pace with change
Supportive enviroment
Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 1, 2015
On a typicall morning shift you get there log on and take calls for the whole shift . What i liked about working here was that they always worked with you with what you needed to improve or if something was wrong.
Pros
different fun activities
Cons
break cuts, no raise
respectable company
Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 1, 2016
Great place to work part time. Good compensation for type of work. Very relaxed work environment. Excellent schedule flexibility.