The Nielsen Company

The Nielsen Company Employer Reviews

changing attitudes
Parent Company Research Analyst (Former Employee), Shelton, CTMarch 23, 2015
Loved the research aspect of this job at this company. Learned a lot about M&A. Was the unfortunate victim of company's offshoring policies.
Worklife as a Contractor at Nielsen
Program Manager Testing (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLMarch 18, 2015
I have been managing couple of key projects for Nielsen in QA and what I have learned from my current experience is:-

Pros
1) You are empowered to manage the program
2) You get to work with all the latest technologies
3) The work environment is very competitive, collaborative and have diversity
4) You have the option of working from home

Cons:-
1) TImelines are very aggressive
2) Work Life balance is impacted
3) There is more inclination towards development rather than quality
4) Even though you are empowered and accountable for the program, when there is a need ot taking a decision on the type of resources required and the type of tools which will best fit the project, , you donot have the power to do so
5) The approval process is very lengthy, which impacts the timelines.
Great place to work to gain some experience... and then move on.
Vice President, Brand Strategy Consulting (Current Employee), Parsippany, NJMarch 16, 2015
Cons: everyone over 30 is a vp and there are precious few svp roles, so long term careers are not viable. compensation is well below industry norms.
The company treats you very well and teaches you a ton of valuable, real world skills. Roles are very hands on and management is very approachable. Work life balance is fair - the hours can be long, but you can set them and can work from home often, as long as the work gets done on time and with the expected quality.
Loaded with VP's that do nothing
manager (Former Employee), New YorkMarch 11, 2015
Pros: work life balance good.
Cons: poor managemt, lacks true leadership, loaded with back stabbers
A good analogy for this company would be they are the Teldar Paper of the data world. Layer after layer of VP's that add absolutely nothing of value. They go from having a production company mentality (comes from having GE pretend leaders) to thinking they are now the new king of consulting. They have regressed back to their arrogant days of the 1980's.
Easy going environment
Research Interviewer (Current Employee), Dallas,TXMarch 11, 2015
Really outgoing environment. plenty of diversity. fun workplace. Management is often hard on you but they only want the best for you and for you to succeed with the company. there are many other job opportunities within the company that can be achieved.
Ever since they went public everything changed
client director (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 11, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: no advancement
It's become less about the employees and more about the bottom line. Work life balance has changed. they like to instill fear and make you think they own you.
great learning experience
Research Interviewer (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLMarch 9, 2015
Learned a lot at this job, being that it was my first time on the field.
with a good solid founded education, i excelled at my job, meeting dead lines and looking for solutions to problems i did not know right away
Busy work place with lots to do
Client Manager-Schwan's Consumer Brands (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: fun people, good tools available
Cons: work life balance
Work life balance can be tough depending on the size of client you are supporting. Overall you do get to work on interesting things but also spend a fair amount of time fixing peoples access issues.
A great place to work and train for future careers in analytics
Client Manager (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: positive work environment, very flexible, benefits, willing to teach, great for entry level, utilized as a standard in market research globally
Cons: sometimes long hours, salaries tend to be lower
I have worked for Nielsen twice in my career and it is a very solid company to work for. The people are mostly younger at the Associate Analyst and Analyst levels. The potential for advancement can be limited with Nielsen only due to a bottom heavy organization. Generally, teams have lots of analysts that report into a few managers causing people to look for advancement to leave. They have a great training program and great employees. While some advancement is limited they do have many different companies under the Nielsen brand that employees can advance with.

The hardest part of the job was sometimes keeping up with the workload and customer requests. Many times the customers request custom studies or reports that take time to get results.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working on the more complex questions that would come up. There always seemed to be something new and different to investigate. Sometimes it was just pulling reports but other times you were working on some of the most interesting business questions for some of the most iconic brands in America.
poor treatment of its employee's
Field Service Representative (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 25, 2015
This job pays well for someone without a degree. The job expectations are impossible to perform. Very poor management throughout the company.
STAY CLEAR FROM THIS COMPANY
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Syosset, New YorkFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: free food
Cons: no communication, unprofessional, bias, high turnover, horrible management
I worked as a customer service rep and seen the door revolved with so many different people it was ridiculous. The customer service Manager Karen Sutherland managerial skills are zero to none and she's also bias. Communication could be a lot better, favoritism highly exist, some co-workers are so nasty well particularly just one Shakeem, is so nasty and have such an attitude yet management does nothing when you bring to there attention. Segregation of whites, blacks and hispanic is blatant. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE...No room for anyone whom want to move up in a corporate setting because this is not the place. No professionalism at all and no where near and far from being CORPORATE. Pay is degrading but yet they like to pile more and more responsibilities on you but don't want to compensate. Again STAY AWAY!!!!!!
independant field rep, self scheduling, multitasking
Field Representative (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: low supervison, set your own schedule
Cons: 30-50% drive time, some late nights and weekends
A typical day for Nielsen as a Field Rep is broken into equal parts of 33% drive time, in customer's home performing technical support on Nielsen equipment, and at home completing paperwork on work PC. I learned to be self managed and independent often working with no or low supervision, I sharpened my customer service and negotiation skills. I was in charge of installing and maintaining Nielsen's proprietary TV ratings system. Our performance was based of the percentage of homes that we were responsible for qualifying with good date per day. I was part of the Sacramento team we mainly worked independently except when there is a big installation we would work together. The hardest part of the job was when we had customers that would not respond to contact and we had to perform drive by to confirm phone numbers or if they moved. Overall I enjoyed working for Nielsen for almost 10 years. I had the freedom to schedule my own work and they provided me with the tools I needed to complete the job foe a example a vehicle, cell phone, and laptop.
be sure you know all the info up front
Membership Representative (Former Employee), Hartford, CTFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: pick your own hours
Cons: micro management
I was a Membership Rep in CT. Don't work in New England area - if the person in charge that distributes the specs doesn't like you they can set you up to fail. The car is NOT free and if they don't like you you will not make your bonus.
Great for a single guy that can move around the country
Market Coordinator / Market Quality Specialist (Former Employee), Greenville, SC and Miami, FLFebruary 10, 2015
Nielsen is interested in making as much money as possible at the expense of their employees. Management keeps adding to the job description with added work and responsibilities while not proportionally increasing pay. The last three years at Nielsen, my pay actually went down as my hours working and responsibilities increased significantly.

The pay can be good if you work lots of overtime and you are expected to work as much as necessary to complete assigned tasks, regardless of its effect on your home life

Advancement is almost nonexistent, unless you are willing to relocate on a regular basis. They do have a leadership development program. However, once you are in, you are required to take the first opportunity they identify for you or risk not getting any more offers. Not everyone can pack up and move across the country at a moments notice.
High Turnover
Membership Rep (Current Employee), Anytown, USAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: company car, home based
Cons: it's all about the numbers, no exceptions, no kidding. management does not care.
Once the honeymoon phase is over you being to notice how terrible this job is.
1. Driving long hours.
2. You do not control how big your territory is.
3. Micro management, they must know down to every minute what you are doing.
4. Their technology is poor. Constant problems trying to close out signs.
5. You do not control the work you get nor the quality of work you get.
6. Pressure to meet the sign minimums, if you don't, management will make sure they set you up to get rid of you.
7. Working in shady neighborhoods.
8. Working after dark.
9. Favoritism.
10. Sick days, holidays and personal days are considered field days. Therefore no adjustment is made to your sign average.
Fast pace environment, surrounded by great talent, but management doesn't allow for open dialog.
Associate Client Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: great experience and skills gained. amazing for your resume.
Cons: the management is not focussed on trying to make the team succeed, you have to want it for yourself. most everyone's workload is to the max and depending on the client, their is no room for error. very high turnover.
Time is spent with meeting client expectations, managing expectations, and heavily weighted with meetings (both internally with Nielsen & the client). Managing your own workload is key to success for this roll. Understanding capabilities, and tools to master your job takes work up front but worth it in the end.

Management can be a bear, but worth getting their buy-in, trust, and knowledge to help be a success.

Focus, self starter, understanding full scope, communication, and being articulate are crucial to become a leader.

The most difficult and equally rewarding part of this job is to manage your workload, "put the extra effort in", and never say "no". Because their are many tools at your disposal, it's worth every second staying focused on training, ask relevant questions to understand the big picture, and staying positive throughout all the challenging obstacles.

There is a lot of pressure to succeed, and you will be cut if management feels you miss the mark.

Nearly every team-member I had worked with is no longer working working in their respective capacity from the time I was there.
good
TIBCO ADMINISTRATOR/TIBCO Release Manager (Current Employee), Tempa,FLFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good
Cons: good
Nielsen is a global leader in measurement and information, Nielsen focused on providing the complete view of what consumers watch and buy through powerful insights that clarify the relationship between content and commerce.Tibco offered Store observation solution using Business Works and CIM.
awesome
Field Surveyor and mapper in survey ops department (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILFebruary 1, 2015
Pros: make my own hours
Traveled,
Made my own hours,
worked from home,
good management
good coworkers
the most enjoyable part of the job was that it was stress free and laid back.
Didnt have management breathing down my neck
Door to door sales
Rep (Former Employee), USAJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: company car
Cons: dirty houses
this job requires persistence and dedication to go door to door
Best Job I've ever had
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Flint, MIJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: working your own hours, home-based office, personal vehicle, mileage reimbursement
Cons: lack of concrete plans?
As an Outside Sales Rep in the Code Reader Market, the ceiling is impossible to reach, and that is a good thing! You are allowed to work whenever you want, as long as you are meeting your goals and such. You work from home and use your personal vehicle, so the comfort level is high. The only intimidating aspect of the job is going door-to-door in some sketchy neighborhoods, but it isn't all bad.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Nielsen Company

Do you know what consumers buy? What consumers watch? Nielsen Knows! Nielsen is the world’s leading marketing and media – Read more

The Nielsen Company Photos