The Department of Emergency Medicine at The Ohio State University is seeking a full-time physician to provide clinical care in its innovative Clinical Decision Unit.
The Clinical Decision Unit - also known as the Observation Unit - allows patients to receive tests that they may otherwise have had to return to the hospital for, providing patients with the necessary care and potentially avoiding the expense and inconvenience of a hospital admission. Observation patient care is a growing trend The Ohio State University Medical Center hopes to become leaders in with our personalized patient care focus. Usually within a 24-hour period, a decision is made to admit the patient to the hospital or send the patient home or on to another level of specialized care.
Our CDU is a 20-bed unit staffed by 40 dedicated professionals, including certified nurse practitioners, board certified physicians, patient care resource managers and social workers, who monitor patients to ensure more specialized care and personalized attention. The unit is equipped with private rooms, a calm environment and other amenities. Family members are also able to stay at their loved one’s bedside.
Responsibilities of the Physician in the CDU include clinical care of patients and supervision of mid-level providers managing patients on observation protocols.
Successful Candidates Will Enjoy:
- Ideal clinical schedule
- Potential for leadership growth and opportunities for the right candidate
- Competitive salaries with full university benefit packages, including generous health insurance plans, multiple retirement options, state immunity, and group paid malpractice coverage.
- Patient care activity in an Emergency Department designated as a Level 1 Trauma Center, Burn Center, Cardiac Center, and Stroke Center with 71,000 annual visit and/or in the nearby satellite community-based Emergency Department with 50,000 annual visits
- A $1.1 BILLION expansion of the clinical footprint opening a brand new ED in July 2014
- CME allowance and tuition assistance
- Board certification in Internal Medicine or Emergency Medicine required
- Experience and interest in the management of observation patients highly desirable
Individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.