The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center

The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Employer Reviews

Excellent company to work at with little advancement guarantee
PCA (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMay 21, 2014
A typical day at work is extremely fast paced with many challenges while caring for critically ill patients. I learned that you need to be flexible and go with the flow while providing the highest quality of patient care. I managed other PCAs especially while orienting. The co-workers were delightful and often enabled me to practice nursing skills. – more... The hardest part of the job was patient load, I would sometimes have up to 16 patients. The most enjoyable part of the job was the patients, providing care for them was a honor. – less
Wonderful work place with great benefits, job advancement can be tough for a clinical trials coordinator
Clinical Trials Coordinator (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: benefits, benefits! health care and retirement packages can't be beat.
Cons: opportunity for advancement or mentorship is limited
As with any job or workplace The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center has its pros and cons. On the pro side is the fact that the benefits for the OSUWMC are top notch and I'm not sure if you could find a better health care or retirement plan. Additionally OSUWMC has plenty of fringe benefits like the opportunity to obtain football tickets, take – more... leadership development courses--if you can find the time to attend--and great day care facilities. On the con side I personally found it extremely difficult to find opportunities to advance within the organization, and trying to find help with job placement internally is a challenging endeavor.

My job title at OSUWMC was a Clinical Trials Coordinator, and my typical day was generally comprised of conducting research assessments, interacting with industry sponsors and research monitors (i.e., CRA's & CRO's), managing regulatory compliance with both the OSUWMC IRB and with WIRB, inputting data into Electronic Data Capture systems (i.e., EDC's), maintaining patient adverse event and concomitant medication logs, maintaining drug compliance logs, writing up Serious Adverse Events, conducting medical chart reviews, charting, and occasionally attending investigator meetings all across the country. – less
Great place to learn
Program Director (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: great retirement
Cons: some challenges related to upward mobility, bureaucracy
OSU Wexner Medical Center works to instill the positive culture from day one. New employees are informed about the mission, vision, and values, and the importance of innovation regarding health care delivery systems.
Excellent academic and career opportunity
Registered Nurse Phone Triage / Case Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 4, 2013
Pros: dedicated team of health professionals
Excellent environment to further develop my career in an amazing academic setting where each day provides an opportunity to learn, practice your career and also be on the edge of new and innovative treatment / research opportunities!
Wexner Medical Center
Project Mangement, Patient Access Services (Current Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 4, 2013
Great place to work. Looking for a better mentoring program involving process improvement using lean methodology.
Productive and fun place
Greeter, Valet, and Podium Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbus, OhOctober 22, 2013
I would work 7 AM to 3 PM daily. Learned how to empathize with patients and families that were going through a difficult time. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with patients when they found out good news.
Very fast passed and fair work place.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Columbus, OHApril 10, 2013
Pros: there is always something to do, or someone to talk to.
Cons: the chance of getting spit on when dealing with an unruly persons.
A typical day at work starts with a briefing explaining what new developments that had taken place that we may need to know. Then I would go to my post or patrol the facilities buildings and grounds. On any given day, we respond to theft reports, unruly visitors/staff/or patients.

What I have learned is how to keep my composure under a stressful situation. – more... I also have learned a great deal of customer service and people skills.

The management is fair and gives equal chance for promotions if desired.

The Co-Workers are the best part of the job. They are a really good/funny group of people to work with.

The hardest part of my day has to be when I respond to an unruly persons and see another persons had been hurt.

The most enjoyable part of my day is when my shift gets off work and we are all walking to our cars and we stand in the parking lot for an extra hour to tell jokes and hang out. – less
Job Tasks
Volunteer (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 3, 2013
-Helped nursing staffing stock medical supplies/Assisted and entertained the patients with games and conversation.
-Transported patients to their physical therapy sessions/-Contacted patients to confirm appointments.
Very laid back casual work atmosphere
Student BIM Assistant (Former Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: friendly environment, laid back work atmosphere
Great work-study job, management is friendly and knowledgeable. They understood school came first, and encourage students to take time off if they need it for school.
Top Notch
Electroencephalogram Technician (Current Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 5, 2012
The Ohio State University is one of the leading hospital for both research and direct patient care. They are a really good hospital.
Process Improvement
Senior Management Engineer (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJune 14, 2012
Pros: interesting work projects
Cons: parking
DMAIC lean six sigma methodology
Project Management