The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center

The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Employee Reviews

excellent place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), columbus, ohMay 5, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: a little heavy workload
OSUWMC financial services has great leaders. People in the group have talent and passion for what they do. work/life balance is a bit hard to reach.
Loved my experience at OSUWMC
Project Manager, Graduate Administrative Associate (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 13, 2015
I gained a lot of experience working at OSU Wexner Medical Center that I did not possess previously. I had the opportunity to work on various projects across the health system and truly enjoyed the people I worked with.
Financial Supervisor (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 4, 2015
Pros: football & basketball tckets at discount
I fix things when they are broken. And try to get the big picture.
Team work is the key. Mentoring others is the most enjoyable part of the job.
PT PAS rep
Patient Revenue Cycle Specialist (Current Employee), Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2015
I make more working part time on the weekends than I did working full time M-F. Awesome pay and OT opportunities, and possibility to learn many areas of the hospital.
Office Administrative Associate (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: room for growth, great benefits, great sense of pride and cohesiveness among staff
Cons: beware of micro-managers and seasoned employees that "bend" the rules
OSU is a great place to start working. Young people are able to move through the ranks once experience and skills are increased with the right networking connections.
It can be a good place to work, just not enough people to get the job done.
Analyst (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: good retirement benefits
Cons: don't listen to logic or experience.
THE OSU is a place with lots of history and pride. That can be a good thing, except for when they can't see or do the most basic and logical things to solve problems. Listening to the people they hired to do a job instead of making all decisions in an ignorant vacuum would be a decent start.
Great Place
Business Manager, Legal Services (Current Employee), 650 Ackerman RoadJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: good retirement
OSU Wexner Medical Center is at the cutting edge of patient care and medical research.
Fun, exciting worthwhile place
Clinical Staff Training & Development Coordinator (Current Employee), Columbus, OHDecember 31, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: na
Great place to work and build a careeer. Lots of job growth opportunities and great benefits.
Busy and productive top-notch facility
Clinical Lab Services Lead, Technical Specialist (Current Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 4, 2014
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center is a busy and focused facility dedicated to patient care and wellness. There is constant improvement in all areas of the hospital as best practices in medicine evolve, creating a place where the newest and best treatments that have been shown to work and provide positive results are allowed to flourish.
Student Learning Enviornment
Environmental Services Supervisor (Current Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 19, 2014
Pros: benefits, advancement opportunities, and job security
Cons: micro management, low raises, and good old boy mentality
I love working at OSU but, my passion isn't working in a hospital. I've learned how to balance work and school at OSU because it is a learning environment. Management is mostly promoted within but, they do the best job they can to help employees get motivated. My co-workers are great, the hardest part of my job is meeting the customer satisfaction requirements that come a long with the job, and the most enjoyable part of my job is pleasing the patients.
Different from public sector jobs.
Project Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 11, 2014
Pros: slow paced, great work life balance, relaxed environment.
Cons: performance measures are lax.
I think that working for this institution was a good learning experience, but there is a very different culture that exists within state organizations. Much of the funding is provided by donors and state allocations, so the organization is not driven by the external pressures which measure success in the private sector. In fact, this culture and approach to delivering excellence is shunned in this environment.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 7, 2014
Working at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center has been a great experience. The environment is second to none, and the people are tremendous. This opportunity to work in the healthcare field has been truly exceptional, and would welcome the chance to return.
Comprehensive Spine Center
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMay 22, 2014
Cons: rarely get a lunch break.
A typical day for me is to room patients which entails vital signs, review medication list, I ask the patient to rate their pain on a scale of 0-10, i go over social history, past medical history and family history.

I work side by side with another medical assistant that is a great help. We help eachother out when needed.

The hardest part of my job is when the provider gets behind with clinic. I am the 2nd person the patient sees when they come to the facility. If the doctor is behind then I get the blunt of the tantrum. I have learned over the last few years to try to calm the patient down and explain to them the situation.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help patients on a daily basis.
Excellent company to work at with little advancement guarantee
PCA (Current Employee), Columbus, OHMay 21, 2014
A typical day at work is extremely fast paced with many challenges while caring for critically ill patients. I learned that you need to be flexible and go with the flow while providing the highest quality of patient care. I managed other PCAs especially while orienting. The co-workers were delightful and often enabled me to practice nursing skills. The hardest part of the job was patient load, I would sometimes have up to 16 patients. The most enjoyable part of the job was the patients, providing care for them was a honor.
Wonderful work place with great benefits, job advancement can be tough for a clinical trials coordinator
Clinical Trials Coordinator (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: benefits, benefits! health care and retirement packages can't be beat.
Cons: opportunity for advancement or mentorship is limited
As with any job or workplace The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center has its pros and cons. On the pro side is the fact that the benefits for the OSUWMC are top notch and I'm not sure if you could find a better health care or retirement plan. Additionally OSUWMC has plenty of fringe benefits like the opportunity to obtain football tickets, take leadership development courses--if you can find the time to attend--and great day care facilities. On the con side I personally found it extremely difficult to find opportunities to advance within the organization, and trying to find help with job placement internally is a challenging endeavor.

My job title at OSUWMC was a Clinical Trials Coordinator, and my typical day was generally comprised of conducting research assessments, interacting with industry sponsors and research monitors (i.e., CRA's & CRO's), managing regulatory compliance with both the OSUWMC IRB and with WIRB, inputting data into Electronic Data Capture systems (i.e., EDC's), maintaining patient adverse event and concomitant medication logs, maintaining drug compliance logs, writing up Serious Adverse Events, conducting medical chart reviews, charting, and occasionally attending investigator meetings all across the country.
Great place to learn
Program Director (Current Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: great retirement
Cons: some challenges related to upward mobility, bureaucracy
OSU Wexner Medical Center works to instill the positive culture from day one. New employees are informed about the mission, vision, and values, and the importance of innovation regarding health care delivery systems.
Excellent academic and career opportunity
Registered Nurse Phone Triage / Case Manager (Former Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 4, 2013
Pros: dedicated team of health professionals
Excellent environment to further develop my career in an amazing academic setting where each day provides an opportunity to learn, practice your career and also be on the edge of new and innovative treatment / research opportunities!
Wexner Medical Center
Project Mangement, Patient Access Services (Current Employee), Columbus, OHNovember 4, 2013
Great place to work. Looking for a better mentoring program involving process improvement using lean methodology.
Productive and fun place
Greeter, Valet, and Podium Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbus, OhOctober 22, 2013
I would work 7 AM to 3 PM daily. Learned how to empathize with patients and families that were going through a difficult time. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with patients when they found out good news.
Very fast passed and fair work place.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Columbus, OHApril 10, 2013
Pros: there is always something to do, or someone to talk to.
Cons: the chance of getting spit on when dealing with an unruly persons.
A typical day at work starts with a briefing explaining what new developments that had taken place that we may need to know. Then I would go to my post or patrol the facilities buildings and grounds. On any given day, we respond to theft reports, unruly visitors/staff/or patients.

What I have learned is how to keep my composure under a stressful situation. I also have learned a great deal of customer service and people skills.

The management is fair and gives equal chance for promotions if desired.

The Co-Workers are the best part of the job. They are a really good/funny group of people to work with.

The hardest part of my day has to be when I respond to an unruly persons and see another persons had been hurt.

The most enjoyable part of my day is when my shift gets off work and we are all walking to our cars and we stand in the parking lot for an extra hour to tell jokes and hang out.

The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Salaries