The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Great Place to Work
Research Recruiter (Nurse Recruiter) (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 19, 2015
Great company culture, fair wages, a ton of room for advancement. excellent benefits great staff. Awesome work environment
Generally a Good Place to Work
Resource Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 28, 2015
Your typical 9-5 show up and do your tedious job everyday. Nothing really exciting everyday, if you enjoy working in a hospital it will be good for you. People in Management are behind the times in almost every way.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
No Advancement, High Turnover
Knowledgeable well rounded organization that cares about employees, patients and the community.
Progressive Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 15, 2015
This truly is a great place to work with lots of diversity and opportunities to learn. I feel that I have grown significantly in my profession after working at OSU Wexner Medical Center as both a registered nurse as well as a patient care associate over the last eight years. There are always opportunities for learning in this excellent teaching hospital. The management for our unit was especially wonderful and really cares about their employees. All of the nurses, PCA's, UCA's and physicians work wonderfully together and there is a great amount of teamwork to ensure we deliver the best possible care to all of our patients as well as their family members. It gives everyone involved a great sense of pleasure to see our patients improve after such significant illnesses, and be able to go back to their normal life after being in the hospital.
Student Learning Enviornment
Environmental Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 19, 2014
I love working at OSU but, my passion isn't working in a hospital. I've learned how to balance work and school at OSU because it is a learning environment. Management is mostly promoted within but, they do the best job they can to help employees get motivated. My co-workers are great, the hardest part of my job is meeting the customer satisfaction requirements that come a long with the job, and the most enjoyable part of my job is pleasing the patients.
Pros
benefits, advancement opportunities, and job security
Cons
micro management, low raises, and good old boy mentality
Decent place to work.
Medical Center Security Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 17, 2015
Great benefits. Advancement opportunities in short supply. Depending on department work/life balance is difficult due to constant overtime from staffing issues.
Secure and dependable
Patient Revenue Cycle Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 22, 2015
Secure and dependable. Nice to be a part of the OSU community. Lots of changes for lateral movement. More education/training needed for career progression.
Excellent place to begin a career and grow
Office Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  The Ohio State University Wexner Medical CenterAugust 24, 2015
OSU works well with developing young staff and promoting advancement. you are provided all the necessary tools for advancement. OSU provide a wide range of continued educational classes that would help advance your career.
Very fast passed and fair work place.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 10, 2013
A typical day at work starts with a briefing explaining what new developments that had taken place that we may need to know. Then I would go to my post or patrol the facilities buildings and grounds. On any given day, we respond to theft reports, unruly visitors/staff/or patients.

What I have learned is how to keep my composure under a stressful situation. I also have learned a great deal of customer service and people skills.

The management is fair and gives equal chance for promotions if desired.

The Co-Workers are the best part of the job. They are a really good/funny group of people to work with.

The hardest part of my day has to be when I respond to an unruly persons and see another persons had been hurt.

The most enjoyable part of my day is when my shift gets off work and we are all walking to our cars and we stand in the parking lot for an extra hour to tell jokes and hang out.
Pros
there is always something to do, or someone to talk to.
Cons
the chance of getting spit on when dealing with an unruly persons.
Different from public sector jobs.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 11, 2014
I think that working for this institution was a good learning experience, but there is a very different culture that exists within state organizations. Much of the funding is provided by donors and state allocations, so the organization is not driven by the external pressures which measure success in the private sector. In fact, this culture and approach to delivering excellence is shunned in this environment.
Pros
slow paced, great work life balance, relaxed environment.
Cons
performance measures are lax.
Dedicated rehabilitation unit
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioMay 27, 2015
For the past six years I have been a staff nurse on a rehabilitation unit serving those with spinal cord and traumatic brain injuries. I typically take care of 5-6 patients with a tech on the evening then move to total patient care on night shift. I also have a charge nurse rotation where I make the nursing assignment for the next shift as well as coordinate staffing while taking a patient assignment. The job is incredibly rewarding watching patients improve over time.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short staffing
excellent place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  columbus, ohMay 5, 2015
OSUWMC financial services has great leaders. People in the group have talent and passion for what they do. work/life balance is a bit hard to reach.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
a little heavy workload
Office Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 21, 2015
OSU is a great place to start working. Young people are able to move through the ranks once experience and skills are increased with the right networking connections.
Pros
room for growth, great benefits, great sense of pride and cohesiveness among staff
Cons
beware of micro-managers and seasoned employees that "bend" the rules
Solid Employer
Clinical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 9, 2015
Solid Employer but very fragmented. Slow for change process. The fragmentation delays information transfer and results in increased cost of operations.
Great Environment
Business Analyst, Revenue Cycle QA and Training (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioOctober 6, 2015
I immensely enjoyed working at Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, great environment and sense of community. I would recommend organization to anyone.
It can be a good place to work, just not enough people to get the job done.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 14, 2015
THE OSU is a place with lots of history and pride. That can be a good thing, except for when they can't see or do the most basic and logical things to solve problems. Listening to the people they hired to do a job instead of making all decisions in an ignorant vacuum would be a decent start.
Pros
good retirement benefits
Cons
don't listen to logic or experience.
Workplace
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Doan HallSeptember 1, 2015
I think workplace can be great if everyone works as a team and is courteous, helpful and patient at all times.
Heavy stressful area. A lot of physicians and staff.
Pros
Free Lunches
Wonderful work place with great benefits, job advancement can be tough for a clinical trials coordinator
Clinical Trials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 27, 2014
As with any job or workplace The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center has its pros and cons. On the pro side is the fact that the benefits for the OSUWMC are top notch and I'm not sure if you could find a better health care or retirement plan. Additionally OSUWMC has plenty of fringe benefits like the opportunity to obtain football tickets, take leadership development courses--if you can find the time to attend--and great day care facilities. On the con side I personally found it extremely difficult to find opportunities to advance within the organization, and trying to find help with job placement internally is a challenging endeavor.

My job title at OSUWMC was a Clinical Trials Coordinator, and my typical day was generally comprised of conducting research assessments, interacting with industry sponsors and research monitors (i.e., CRA's & CRO's), managing regulatory compliance with both the OSUWMC IRB and with WIRB, inputting data into Electronic Data Capture systems (i.e., EDC's), maintaining patient adverse event and concomitant medication logs, maintaining drug compliance logs, writing up Serious Adverse Events, conducting medical chart reviews, charting, and occasionally attending investigator meetings all across the country.
Pros
benefits, benefits! health care and retirement packages can't be beat.
Cons
opportunity for advancement or mentorship is limited
Fun, exciting worthwhile place
Clinical Staff Training & Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 31, 2014
Great place to work and build a careeer. Lots of job growth opportunities and great benefits.
benefits
Cons
na
Excellent academic and career opportunity
Registered Nurse Phone Triage / Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 4, 2013
Excellent environment to further develop my career in an amazing academic setting where each day provides an opportunity to learn, practice your career and also be on the edge of new and innovative treatment / research opportunities!
Pros
dedicated team of health professionals
Loved my experience at OSUWMC
Project Manager, Graduate Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 13, 2015
I gained a lot of experience working at OSU Wexner Medical Center that I did not possess previously. I had the opportunity to work on various projects across the health system and truly enjoyed the people I worked with.

4.5