The Paper Store

The Paper Store United States Employee Reviews

Not a career move - Be careful.
manager (Former Employee), actonMarch 1, 2015
Cons: corporate, family owned, expect too much for little pay.
They treat long term employees with such disrespect. Don't be fooled by the District Managers that work for the Baby of the family. They are LIARS! Corporate is a group of mean people that will make your work life miserable.
Awesome place to work the energy is fun and easy going.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dedham, MAFebruary 17, 2015
It all depends on if you want a part time gig or a full time type of things is really not awesome it got real old after a while I was so over it atter a few months. It was fun while it lasted.
Not Worth It!
Department Manager (Former Employee), MAFebruary 12, 2015
I have worked at this compay for over 3 years, and when i first started, i loved it, I moved up into a managerial positon right away and i was comfortable. After only recieving 1 raise in that 3 year time period, i knew that this wasn't going to work. I traveled to different states NUMEROUS times through those years, to set up different locations, and worked VERY hard. All for really nothing at all. They do not make you feel like a valued member of their team, and you constantly feel like you can be replaced at any time. They dont pay well AT ALL! and if you look around at other retailers and other jobs in general, you will find that you can get compensated MUCHHHH more for your efforts. I think (and i know i'm not alone in this) that you constantly put TONS of work and effort in, and you get nothing in return. they will get as much as they can out of you, and then when you find something better, they say "see ya later" and find another person who they can pay less money to, to do your job. its an endless cycle, and at the rate they are going, they will have NO longevity with employees in this company. I am thrilled that i have a new job now that appreciates my work, and pays me accordingly.
very fun and friendly service
Sales associate (Former Employee), Warwick, RIDecember 7, 2014
Pros: decent breaks, decent pay
Cons: only a seasonal job
i enjoyed going to work every day. the other employees were very nice and attentive to the needs i had. the management is very organized. the hardest part was standing on your feet all day and you couldn't wear sneakers. the most enjoyable part was meeting people and being able to assist customers with needs.
Terrible management
Anonymous (Former Employee), HinghamOctober 6, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: way to many to list
The store manager in Hingham is absolutely terrible. Rude, self righteous, and its either her way or no way. Too much work and not enough compensation. Too high of expectations with NO help.
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Nashua, NHSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: enjoy doing pot lucks and emplyee raffle during holiday seasons. very flexible hours.
Cons: only a certain amount of full time positions so not many benefits for part time emplyees.
It's retail so obviously it gets a bit stressful/overwhelming during the holidays but the ladies at this location care for eachother just as much as their customers and make it all worth it.
Low pay and no time to have a life.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Not KansasAugust 21, 2014
This would be a great job if you absolutely had nothing in your life outside of work. If you have a family or anyone or anything you like to spend time with or doing forget it.
Fun work environment
Sales (Former Employee), Waltham, MAJuly 31, 2014
Pros: fun place
Cons: short breaks
- Friendly co-workers
- Fun
-Busy
-Help Customers
-Setting up displays
-Selling product
Nice team environment to work in.
Operation Specialist (Current Employee), Northborough, MAJune 27, 2014
Pros: nice work environment
Cons: short on hours
A team environment that is very productive, always meeting tasks assigned but having fun doing it. Team works hard and management acknowledges.
Fun Work Place
Department Manager/Keyholder/Manager On Duty (Current Employee), Wareham, MAJune 19, 2014
I work up front of the store as a department manager for Vera Bradley and Fashion department. I make sure all product is neat and organize when I get there. Make sure all product is out. Most importantly, greeting customers. Depending on my day, I would have to open the store or close the store. Usually their are two MODS(manager on duty) opening and closing. My co-workers are very close. I enjoy merchandising and helping customers find what they need. We are huge gift store and have our regular customers who come in every week. We get shipments every week of product and do a lot of projects. I have been with this company for 6 years. I have accomplished a lot and learned many things.
The Paper Store is a family owned and operated Hallmark Gold Crown retailer and gift store.
Human Resources Coordinator, Framingham (Current Employee), Framingham, MAJune 17, 2014
Pros: beautiful store; friendly atmosphere; discount on store merchandise and printing services
Cons: minimal opportunity for growth and advancement
nice work place
Assistant manager Jewelry department (Current Employee), stamford ctApril 4, 2014
stock merchandise, provided customer service and was a cashier
Horrible Management
Department Manager (Former Employee), Hudson, MAMarch 14, 2014
Management is clueless and could care less about anything.
Fabulous company with exciting growth potential
Store manager (Current Employee), MassachusetteMarch 6, 2014
Pros: huge growth potential!
The Paper Store is a privately owned company which was one of the strongest attributes when I was looking for employment. You get to know the owners and the entire corporate staff on a first name basis. It is a fun, energetic place to work. We work hard, as it is a busy atmosphere. Working with great associates, customers, and a very supportive corporate staff makes it all worthwhile. Some days are longer than others, but thats retail! It is a company that throughout a tough economy has had extensive growth. It shows me that they are leaders in the industry making great decisions. I truly love coming to work every day. I feel fortunate to be part of the Paper Store family, and hope to continue to do so for a long time!
Worst envronment I have ever worked in
part of management (Former Employee), Hingham, MAMarch 3, 2014
Cons: very low compensation.
I worked at the paper store for a short time. What started out as a job I really wanted ended up with me knowing I had made a mistake from the first day. This was due to how the manager and assistant manager ran the store. They literally bullied everyone. I do not want to state my position but I do know that in a very short time I have been replaced 4 times. That should tell the owners something about the people they have running the store. I know the owners have heard these complaints before from other staff. The two managers feel that because this store is so successful that it is because of them. That store is only successful because of its location. Put in a good management team and it might triple in revenue.
don't work for this place-the truth they lie
manager (Current Employee), massFebruary 12, 2014
Cons: sm very lazy and lie to you to cover what they do from dm
The Attitude of this company is full of lies and they are very
aware of their power they have over you.
The dental plan is terrible and medical plan went up and will as they don't want to pay alot'for their employees in stores who's not at corporate level.
Discount-10/20% not alot.honestly would you want to spend you wage in this place.
wage hire- even if you are exp want to get you in cheap
just like the countries over seas.
pay raise- keep waiting only if you are a favorite.
if you want to move up don't bother to many she and his behind your back and high school tattling to dm.
-and if you get that raise
they will make you sweat for it as they think they did you a favor.
All of corp, SM,DM are constantly putting people down as if they think that makes people try harder.and whats funny they talk about each other.I have sat in and heard dm talk so bad about another dm
and other corp office workers that I shook my head in disgust.
wow what do they say about the little folks?

The positions they have sales clerk/regester
dept mgr for their inviation/wedding area only ceratin people allowed to train for this, and who will do everything they can to pretend to be preparing for new invitaions,so they won't ring regester or clean up.
Alot of the invitation of wedding area's being removed in alot of their stores as the paper store dosen't make enough money, So if your area isn't at least 50,000 or more say good by to your well trained job for yrs you will be now a regester clerk with limited pt hrs no full-time.
dept mgr for hall mark always a mess and no store mgr will
actaully do – more... the work, I have seen with my own eyes every-SM will
say "oh I will help in new floor set and stay there for 5minutes
and find something else to do besides actually helping their workers.
and what's funny is alot of SM do not know how to run hall mark
these are SM who have been there for several years.
Apparel,which is way over priced you have dept/visual mgr
who really have not enough apparel exp, you could be an office worker and they will hire you for dept apparel position- Where are the exp apparel mgrs? Those are the people who know floor sets,visual exp and knowledge upt,sph,visual ect.hire them! stop hiring the bosses favorites and hire retail talent. no wonder apparel is a mess.
dept mgr for shipment who is a glorified worker and not dept mgr
Store mgr some started as dept mgr some came in as SM.
SM really do not like their jobs and to busy complaining about district mgrs and pretending they have a great store when they come in.
These same SM leave early without telling DM, and at times lie why they need to leave early so they don't have to close their one day week shift.They would rather have their dept mgr close each night and who cares if they have to open in am, as long as the SM gets another night off from closing.Every single SM I have seen rather ring on regester instead of helping their workers on floor, or if they do help workers they are fake working to let some say "see SM do work.ha!
and Asm mgr that are dept mgr, If they are a favorite for DM, you can bet they will be promoted and breaking the rules to.
lets see - you open the store and close am/pm count 3-8 regesters which waste your morning.without help , no store mgr wants to do this and make the dept mgr or key holder do this low level job.While the store mgr are in back reading emails that really takes 5min not more then hour,while sitting on stools.
Mostly dept mgrs do all of the closing shifts and expected to do their dept filled all through the night as the SM says and maintain the store,meaning count all regesters,balance deposit,get store cleaned up Easy you say.no! try closing every night and come in to bright eye SM who does nothing but Complain about the store recovery and you bet your dept as well. Of course all SM are happy to give advice how to handle the tasks an night , lets see they dont close and opening is easy for them.This company needs to have SM close-2-3 nights like other stores do The paper store I don't care what they say and how Fancy they want to act like their store is this gift place.
PAPER STORE - they are dept store not a gift or small boutique. – less
Lovely ladies, Poor management
Operations Specialist (Current Employee), West Lebanon, NHJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, lovely ladies to work with
Cons: poor management
I love the women I work with at the Paper Store. We have become a tight work family and I would do anything for any one of them.
If it weren't for them I would not be working here right now.
The pay is terrible- $8.00/hr
They never do performance reviews.
No raises.
great and friendly co - workers
Inventory Specialist/Manager (Current Employee), Dedham, MAJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: 20% discounts
Cons: short breaks
I have learned alot on the computer. during the Hoilday season is the hardest part of the job. you can't enjoy the season with family and friends. People that I work with.
Good coworkers
Customer Service (Former Employee), ME Mall, South Portland, MEOctober 16, 2013
Pros: good products, great coworkers
Cons: poor pay, no benefits, mind numbing work
Management very inconsistent. Breaks don't happen. The cash reg. system is so inflexible, everything has to be entered by hand, and no standard way to deal with coupons, specials or discounts. Pay is very poor.
It is a great company.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Norwalk, CTJune 26, 2013
A typical day at work includes various tasks and lots of customer service. With previous retail experience I learned the new POS system rather quickly.

About The Paper Store

The “Paper” Store? You may be surprised. If you do not know us, our stores, and our products… you would – Read more

The Paper Store Salaries