The Paper Store Employee Reviews in United States

Great Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salem, MAApril 11, 2016
The employees were always their to help you and the customers were mostly friendly. The music was always on and you learned each and every day working here.
Great Place to Work
Director (Current Employee) –  DCSeptember 21, 2015
The culture at The Paper Store is different than most, they allow you to grow and find the right balance between work and personal life.

Everyone is part of the "family" and as such the work environment is one in which you can grow to your potential.

Go into any store and you'll be greeted by people who really care and want to help you find the merchandise for that special occasion or person.

It is amazing to see the changes from offering just paper products to everything from gifts to sports and apparel.
Pros
Caring attitudes and leadership
Cons
Peak seasons mean long days!
Great people! Great Company!
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Acton MaSeptember 18, 2015
I started working for The Paper Store after leaving another retailer where I felt people were not made important enough. Its only been a couple of months but its been such an improvement! The company owners are actively involved and engaged and really care that people are treated fairly. Its a great time to get in the door with all the new stores that have been opening. The customers seem to be much better to customers than at some other stores I have worked at. New ideas are encouraged and are implemented quickly.
Pros
Culture, Teamwork
Cons
Some long days but not bad for being retail.
Excellent company to work for!!
Director of Technology (Current Employee) –  Acton, MASeptember 18, 2015
I have worked for companies big and small, and I have NEVER come across a company that has such a fantastic culture and work environment. I truly love my job and I love coming to work every day, and I have never met a fellow employee who I didn't get along with. In fact, I have made several lasting friendships with current and former employees alike. If you're an awesome person and you want to work at an awesome company with other awesome people, I suggest The Paper Store!!
Don't Like
Jewelry Manager, Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTSeptember 24, 2015
I loved the people I worked with. Before they changed store managers, I loved my store manager. then they brought in a person who wasn't very nice and had no clue how to manager a staff. District manager was no better and treated employees with zero respect.
Pros
great co-workers, for the most part a fun place to work
Cons
upper management, no room for growth, low wages, no respect
Incredible opportunities for advancement
Store Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Metro West, MassachusettsSeptember 30, 2015
I've worked for large corporations for years and The Paper Store is a world apart from those cultures. You are part of the family, when someone asks you a question it's because they want to hear your answer, not just to have you regurgitate their opinions back at them. When you need something fixed or changed it gets done. I've worked for the company for almost 2 years and I've already been promoted! The upper management is excellent and very easy to talk to. Everyone is a big part of the team. If you are ready to work hard, shape the future of a company and have a lot of fun, this is the company for you! The holidays are long hours and 6 day weeks for ALL salaried postions (including corporate) but again we are all in it together, not a store vs. corporate society. Be ready for hugs too... they're big on hugs ...like I said...you're family :)
Pros
Employee appreciation
Cons
Health care could be more affordable
worst experience
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTAugust 18, 2015
Was so excited to get a management position. Ended up being the biggest mistake. Store Mgr didn't care about employees at all. The other managers were lazy and rude to employees. I was told I was to nice and cared too much about the employees. Set up my store mgr to have issues with other managers because they complained that employees went to me over them. You can't treat people like that and expect them to not have a favorite manager. I was pushed out.
Pros
great regular employee co-workers, customers
Cons
management, philosphy of how to treat employees, pay, disrespect, encouraging unhealthy competition, rude to employees in front of customers
quick paced work place
Stockroom and Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Millbury, MAAugust 10, 2015
There was always work to be done. Being busy made shifts go by quickly. Break time was sometimes hard to squeeze in. Co-workers and customers were friendly.
Pros
discount
Cons
short breaks
Not a career move - Be careful.
manager (Former Employee) –  actonMarch 1, 2015
They treat long term employees with such disrespect. Don't be fooled by the District Managers that work for the Baby of the family. They are LIARS! Corporate is a group of mean people that will make your work life miserable.
Cons
corporate, family owned, expect too much for little pay.
very fun and friendly service
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIDecember 7, 2014
i enjoyed going to work every day. the other employees were very nice and attentive to the needs i had. the management is very organized. the hardest part was standing on your feet all day and you couldn't wear sneakers. the most enjoyable part was meeting people and being able to assist customers with needs.
Pros
decent breaks, decent pay
Cons
only a seasonal job
Productive and enjoyable place to work.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHSeptember 2, 2014
It's retail so obviously it gets a bit stressful/overwhelming during the holidays but the ladies at this location care for eachother just as much as their customers and make it all worth it.
Pros
enjoy doing pot lucks and emplyee raffle during holiday seasons. very flexible hours.
Cons
only a certain amount of full time positions so not many benefits for part time emplyees.
Fun Work Place
Department Manager/Keyholder/Manager On Duty (Current Employee) –  Wareham, MAJune 19, 2014
I work up front of the store as a department manager for Vera Bradley and Fashion department. I make sure all product is neat and organize when I get there. Make sure all product is out. Most importantly, greeting customers. Depending on my day, I would have to open the store or close the store. Usually their are two MODS(manager on duty) opening and closing. My co-workers are very close. I enjoy merchandising and helping customers find what they need. We are huge gift store and have our regular customers who come in every week. We get shipments every week of product and do a lot of projects. I have been with this company for 6 years. I have accomplished a lot and learned many things.
Worst envronment I have ever worked in
part of management (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAMarch 3, 2014
I worked at the paper store for a short time. What started out as a job I really wanted ended up with me knowing I had made a mistake from the first day. This was due to how the manager and assistant manager ran the store. They literally bullied everyone. I do not want to state my position but I do know that in a very short time I have been replaced 4 times. That should tell the owners something about the people they have running the store. I know the owners have heard these complaints before from other staff. The two managers feel that because this store is so successful that it is because of them. That store is only successful because of its location. Put in a good management team and it might triple in revenue.
Cons
very low compensation.
FAMILY OWNED COMPANY that is always looking for the next big thing!!!
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Hingham, MAMarch 14, 2013
I begin my day by counting in and opening the store.
I am learning how to improve on a lot of my current management skills.
Everyone interacts well and understands what is expected of them on a daily basis.
There does not seem to be enough time to do everything that needs to be done, on a daily basis.
I completely enjoy the customers and their amazement when they discover the assortment of what the store carries.
Pros
high prices seem to be a negative for a lot of customers. they let you know it., 20% employment discount.
Cons
company could use more planning/handling policy/procedures for specific situations
Fabulous company with exciting growth potential
Store manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusetteMarch 6, 2014
The Paper Store is a privately owned company which was one of the strongest attributes when I was looking for employment. You get to know the owners and the entire corporate staff on a first name basis. It is a fun, energetic place to work. We work hard, as it is a busy atmosphere. Working with great associates, customers, and a very supportive corporate staff makes it all worthwhile. Some days are longer than others, but thats retail! It is a company that throughout a tough economy has had extensive growth. It shows me that they are leaders in the industry making great decisions. I truly love coming to work every day. I feel fortunate to be part of the Paper Store family, and hope to continue to do so for a long time!
Pros
huge growth potential!
Awesome place to work the energy is fun and easy going.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAFebruary 17, 2015
It all depends on if you want a part time gig or a full time type of things is really not awesome it got real old after a while I was so over it atter a few months. It was fun while it lasted.
The Paper Store is a family owned and operated Hallmark Gold Crown retailer and gift store.
Human Resources Coordinator, Framingham (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJune 17, 2014
Pros
beautiful store; friendly atmosphere; discount on store merchandise and printing services
Cons
minimal opportunity for growth and advancement
Lovely ladies, Poor management
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Lebanon, NHJanuary 17, 2014
I love the women I work with at the Paper Store. We have become a tight work family and I would do anything for any one of them.
If it weren't for them I would not be working here right now.
The pay is terrible- $8.00/hr
They never do performance reviews.
No raises.
Pros
flexible schedule, lovely ladies to work with
Cons
poor management
Good for a Beginner in the workforce
Sales Clerk and Print Studio card designer (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAJune 15, 2013
It was very busy during the holidays and it had a decent amount of foot traffic each day. The management was just o.k.; the store manager would not let any of the staff that were college aged to leave early during the Christmas Season for final exams or very important events. They were incredibly rude to employees but nice to customers. Although, my co-workers who were not managers were great to work with and were very nice people. The hardest part of the job was to get correct hours, especially since they played favorites with certain employees. I enjoyed being able to make greeting cards and other cards for customers since it was what I was hired to do but I was not able to do it as frequently as I would have liked.
Pros
employee discount, great co-workers
Cons
store manager, short breaks, hours not compatible with school schedule
Good coworkers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  ME Mall, South Portland, MEOctober 16, 2013
Management very inconsistent. Breaks don't happen. The cash reg. system is so inflexible, everything has to be entered by hand, and no standard way to deal with coupons, specials or discounts. Pay is very poor.
Pros
good products, great coworkers
Cons
poor pay, no benefits, mind numbing work

2.7