The PIC Group Employee Reviews

In need of a job
Insspector/assembler (Former Employee) –  Wyandotte, MIMarch 17, 2016
Worked in assembly. Assembled different parts on machines. Usually grouped by jobs.

Learned different assembly tooling operations. Able to surpassed quotas.

Management: I really have no idea!! No real directions on how to perform job operations. SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) were not readily available for each assembly job. Asked for standard production numbers for each job and I get different answers. Example: How many cases for a listed job assembly? Manager = 36, Supervisor = 40. Where are they pulling these numbers from? No one can answer that? Anyways, I did 44 cases per 12 hour shift.

Co-workers were great!! They taught me how to assemble for each job. This was the supervisors job - didn't happen.

Hardest part was not knowing what standard production numbers were and getting bad parts from inspection which slowed down assembly due to the assembler (me) having to FIX that part before assembly. Then the supervisor complains we did not meet production numbers (whatever they were). Imagine a normal assembly of 1600 parts - production falls to 800 to 1200 due to trying to fix and rejecting 100+ parts.

Enjoyable: being productive and NOT having to collect welfare!!!
Pros
Great co-workers, being productive
Cons
Low pay, management, long hours
Good short term, not career unless in right location
LEAD HAND (Current Employee) –  MidwestApril 27, 2015
The company is laid back and overall could be a great career however it is a 3rd party company that relies on "contracts". hourly pay is not great however the compensation for drive time, and all the little stuff makes up for it.

Job Work/Life Balance- you only know your hours if the contract that you got hired for is a large site that will last otherwise it is always based on daily basis

Job Security/Advancement- you NEVER know when your contract is up till the day of.

Management- Team work is everything, which is always good.

Overall rating* is low due to not able to make a career, and having stable work life.
It was a good experience.
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at work was a good. I learned a lot from my supervisor. Management was okay. Co-workers were easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was being on call. The most enjoyable part of the job was working to provide for my family.
Pros
Working at different sites
Cons
Not getting to work enough
I would not recommend the pic group in huntsville, al- toyota site
lead hand (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 3, 2016
Upper management is awful! They barely show up to site. Lie on employees to protect themselves and make themselves look better. Hostile work environment. Was an absolute awful experience!
Pros
none I can think of
Cons
awful upper management, hostile work environnment
No benifits, no insurance, no yearly evaluations
Supplier Quality Technician/Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  vw of chattanoogaJune 3, 2015
I love being in quality assurance but the company i work for offers no benifits, no insurance, no raises as promised. I need to move on and find a company that will appreciate my leadership skills and ability to work with people.
Quality Inspections
Quality (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 24, 2016
3 rd. party quality inspection / jobs may last a few hours a few days / a few weeks / a few months / no guarantee of 40 hrs. / job location changes sometime daily / pack a lunch.
poor management
lead hand (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 1, 2014
Poor management, bad pay, sometimes hostile work condition, no safety training for employees. Manager will lie and throw lead hands under the bus! Will fire employees for no reason. Write up procedures are a joke. Favorite employees are allowed to break all the rules and others will pay the price. Worst company I ever worked for.
Cons
no benefits, lack of work, poor management
Great work place for people who like to travel
Lead Hand, Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALOctober 27, 2012
A typical day at work was safety first and making sure everyone was at there desired duty station performing task. I've learned that leading a group of people to want more and strive more in the work place is not that difficult. Management team was excellent.
Pros
had great benefits package and travel
Cons
shortbreaks
It was a fun place to work
Third party inspector (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 15, 2013
Did inspection for different companies I learned to inspect parts and management were very helpful when needed. The workers helped when needed.The hardest part of the job was not having any work
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short breks
It was not the worst job in world. just boring and slow.
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Princeton, INNovember 22, 2015
I did not like going to work there and then sitting at a table all night. If you were not on the line. Id rather stay busy. They hire tons of people and then send most of them home within hours
Pros
nice supervisors.
Cons
the job was slow and boring when you was not online.
Excellent Job
Inspection Quality Consultant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Canton, MSApril 15, 2012
This compant had a lot of job opportunities and trained very well for the position.
Pros
great compensation
Cons
must be willing to travel
basic job nothing interesting
quality inspector (Former Employee) –  oshawaFebruary 21, 2012
i worked at the pic group for 2 years it was just not my type of work
Pros
nothing
Cons
no raises
Good review
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Trenton, MIJuly 3, 2015
Work was good and sometimes hectic but busy. Management was fine , surroundings are good. Sometimes other employees get to be complaining and lazy but resolved the issues, systems needed to be changed with Chrysler help. Biggest problem is unionized and non-union workers were working side by side became a problem. Overall, PIC Group needs to increase the pay scale to keep their workers .
Pros
attitude, management, busy working and easy work
Cons
experienced management, union versus non-union employees
Slave work
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 8, 2015
I do not recommend anyone to work for the Huntsville area PIC Group. Toyota plant specifically.If you do, I hope you don't have a family to spend time with.
Fun to work at
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Shelby Township, MISeptember 1, 2015
Enjoyed working for this company had good training and good people to work with. the job was challenging and rewarding the management was excellent hardest part of the jobs was locating the work place
Pros
travel
Cons
pay
Its a good job, the upper management does not do their job very well but hey what can I do
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHMay 11, 2015
I would go into work on the first day. Get trained on what I am inspecting and what to look for. Then do it for the rest of the day. The job was really not hard. The hardest thing that I did was dealing with the turnover rate for some of the places I worked. A lot of the time people would not show up and I would have to fix the problem on my feet. Which is not an issue. But the upper management is awful.
Pros
good job, easy money.
Cons
upper management
Laid Back and Well Managed
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Formet, St. ThomasSeptember 14, 2014
As an inspector with PIC Group, my first week was a lot less stressful than I was expecting. The job usually consists of picking up a 3-8 pound part, looking carefully at each side, and giving it to one of the team members we call a Packer. They then mark it with a pen, put it neatly in the box, and waits for the next part. There is usually 3-4 of you, and we usually get the same people doing the packing every night, but if we feel like it, at any point, we can say "Hey, I feel like packing today. Mind if I take over for the night?".

When you go for orientation, everything sounds big and confusing. I've been to Contractor Orientation twice at Formet, and I can say, they blow it way out of proportion. If you want to remember anything from the 30 minute orientation you will have to do on the first day, it's "Be safety-conscience". Make sure you follow safety rules at all times - they are there for a reason. It doesn't happen often at all, and in the 5 or so months I've been at Formet with 2 different companies, there has only been one accident, and that was caused by a careless maintenance worker not fastening a lock to keep the machine from being turned on before he entered the booth. (You will not have to worry about this on most cases, because we pretty much never go anywhere near the production lines.)

One of the great things about working with PIC Group is that most of the time, you get to work the shift you want to. Every week we call in to a toll-free number, tell the woman what we are available for, whether it be "afternoons all week except Tuesday and Friday I need
  more... to take my kid to soccer, so I'll take the morning shift those days" or "I'm single, live at my parents' house and don't have anything to do, so just give me anything but mornings, I like to sleep in, and especially this Monday because I'm going to a bachelor party the night before."

Unlike most factory jobs, the PIC Group is more of "beaver" than an "ant". We work hard to get stuff done, but if there's no need to rush, why do it? It's not too rare to have the supervisor come down and say "Hey, they aren't making any more of this part for an hour, so once you finish up this box, just go take a 10 minute break while they make some of the other parts for you to inspect."

However if you are desiring a good income to support a family of 4, look elsewhere. All the steady-as-you-go comes at a small cost, and that's the wages. As a QCI, you are barely paid more than minimum wage. I personally work the midnight shift not just because it's even more laid back, but due to the $0.75 premium bonus per hour for working that time slot. It doesn't sound like much, but trust me, on this salary, it add's up to around $1200 at the end of the year, which is a good month and a half's worth of rent. You miss out on the night life, but in the end it's worthwhile if you don't have commitments like marriage or "bro-dom".

Pack a lunch, but keep one thing in mind: Unlimited Free Coffee. You might have to make it yourself on occasion, but it's free, can you really complain? If you are not a coffee drinker, there is cheap "juice" available in 2 out of a possible 3 flavours, rotating every few days: Vaguely Reminiscent of Orange, Might-Actually-Include-Fruit Punch, and "Lemonade". It's all just basically just a cheaper Kool-Aid powder and water.

All-In-all, If life doesn't hand you Fanshawe College...
Make PIC-emonade.
Pros
free unlimited coffee & juice, very laid-back, good atmosphere, flexible hours, low stress
Cons
sometimes nothing to do for an hour at a time, doesn't pay well enough to start a family, poor communication protocols
Not Enough hours per week!
Qaulity inspector (Current Employee) –  Princeton, INJanuary 23, 2013
Good place to work if you just want a job and no advancement. It isn't like you going to advance far or getting enough money to survive on a month, but you can at least use it as a stepping stone and find something a little more permanent while you work!

Off 3 or more days and don't get hardly any overtime.
Management is good when push comes to shove.
Driving to work everyday.
Pros
work experience, different jobs everyday
Cons
under 40 hours a week, always sending people home early or asking for volunteers!
Great Job for someone that wants Part-Time Work
Inspector/Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCFebruary 2, 2015
Great Job, never a dull moment, always meeting new people, traveling to different places, never inspecting the same thing for a very long period of time. To me, I just need more hours per week. As for Management, these are some of the best and smartest people you will ever meet, they get you all the materials you will need to get the job done. Co-workers are good, professional, and kind people to work with, most usually know what has to be done. The hardest part of the job is going into a place and getting set up, some places don't have a lot of space for us to do our job, and then there are people thinking that you are going to take their job because you are inspecting their work, all part of being an Inspector I guess. The most Enjoyable part of the job is when the job is finished and you know that everyone is satisfied. Then its on to the next experience, meet more new people, and learn a different job.
Pros
usually good hours, when you do work
Cons
health-care, sometimes no break
Great set of task associated with my position there.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 24, 2015
My task were good, high level for my position and there was opportunity for advancement and career growth. Great office environment.
Pros
Short commute from home, lots of lunch options

2.6