The PIC Group Employee Reviews

I liked the staff and how well they listened.
inspector (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHFebruary 15, 2015
I would start with staff meeting, find out the order that was to be inspected, the supervisor would show us the problems to look for and we would start inspecting. If I traveled to other assignments I would be given the issues with the parts by the supervisor of the assigned plant and I would then write up instructions on what too look for, the boundaries in which our criteria would be met, and if things changed i would make changes to our instructions and imform all my coworkers. I loved inspecting andd trying to help companies with their product.
Pros
loved traveling and the feeling that I could keep the company from passing bad parts to the consumer
Cons
I didnt like how my supervisor really wasnt attentive when i needed assurance about my instructions.
I found this is not a very good place to work.
Inspector/ sorter (Former Employee) –  ChattanoogaFebruary 11, 2015
I started work with the PIC Group in Chattanooga, TN. I thought it was going to be a nice place to work because it was at the Volkswagon plant. The night shift supervisor was very rude. One night I heard him tell a worker to "take your @@@ home". At times he would come up to me and state that I was not working fast enough. I told him I am meeting quota and he said that's minimum and that we pay you more than minimum wage. On another night A second supervisor called me over to ask about a task and after I answered her My supervisor told me to turn around and walk away.
Later on that night I was assigned a different task. I did not fully understand what to do and it seemed like he didn't want to be bothered. He old me to go sit my @@@ down. At that point I collected my things and went home. I have a very good work history to include over 20 years in the U.S. Air Force and have never been treated like this.
Pros
Working at the VolksWagon Plant
Cons
The Pic Group needs better trained leaders
Great Job for someone that wants Part-Time Work
Inspector/Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCFebruary 2, 2015
Great Job, never a dull moment, always meeting new people, traveling to different places, never inspecting the same thing for a very long period of time. To me, I just need more hours per week. As for Management, these are some of the best and smartest people you will ever meet, they get you all the materials you will need to get the job done. Co-workers are good, professional, and kind people to work with, most usually know what has to be done. The hardest part of the job is going into a place and getting set up, some places don't have a lot of space for us to do our job, and then there are people thinking that you are going to take their job because you are inspecting their work, all part of being an Inspector I guess. The most Enjoyable part of the job is when the job is finished and you know that everyone is satisfied. Then its on to the next experience, meet more new people, and learn a different job.
Pros
usually good hours, when you do work
Cons
health-care, sometimes no break
Don't do it
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Shelby TownshipJanuary 10, 2015
This is a horrible place to work. They treat you like Dirt worse than Dirt they will beat you down some of the Perk's can be great but they will beat you down to the ground one mistake they email the entire company and celebrate your mistake. They are negative people they will take you out for drinks in use whatever you say against you. Awful awful awful awful company. Everybody gets to push you around .They are Evil...
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Everything about this company
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 6, 2015
Working for several automotive companies. Sorting and inspecting car parts.
Better Communication Skills
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCDecember 30, 2014
While working for The Pic Group its ability to communicate was not what I expected. When finishing up with assignment, they don't place you with another job as quick as they should. The most enjoyable part of the job would be communicating with your co-workers.
Pros
Payed brakes
Cons
N/a
The Pic Group is a 3rd party containment company
Lead Hand, at BASF, Cellasto plant (Current Employee) –  Wyandotte, MIDecember 17, 2014
Typical day is started by talking with the Midnight Lead Hand and discussing issues or changes that occurred. I learned how to transition the midnite work and to flow it into the days shift work. Management are always able to be contacted for help or input.
Pros
Freedom to suggest changes and have them explored with out immediately being dismissed
Cons
Not employed long enough to assess any Cons yet.
A good starter job
Inspector (Current Employee) –  San AntonioNovember 12, 2014
Overall I did enjoy my experience, I made a bunch of friends and work environment is friendly. A normal day is come in write paper work of all the items we were checking and wait till the drivers drop off the parts for us to check. I enjoyed how everyone communicated and we were funny and always had a good attitude, the hardest part is working 12 hours a day for months with hardly anytime for yourself outside of work until the weekends not unless you work on Saturdays.
Pros
The people I worked with
Cons
Inconsistent hours, and not financially stable
poor management
lead hand (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 1, 2014
Poor management, bad pay, sometimes hostile work condition, no safety training for employees. Manager will lie and throw lead hands under the bus! Will fire employees for no reason. Write up procedures are a joke. Favorite employees are allowed to break all the rules and others will pay the price. Worst company I ever worked for.
Pros
Cons
No benefits, lack of work, poor management
Laid Back and Well Managed
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Formet, St. ThomasSeptember 14, 2014
As an inspector with PIC Group, my first week was a lot less stressful than I was expecting. The job usually consists of picking up a 3-8 pound part, looking carefully at each side, and giving it to one of the team members we call a Packer. They then mark it with a pen, put it neatly in the box, and waits for the next part. There is usually 3-4 of you, and we usually get the same people doing the packing every night, but if we feel like it, at any point, we can say "Hey, I feel like packing today. Mind if I take over for the night?".

When you go for orientation, everything sounds big and confusing. I've been to Contractor Orientation twice at Formet, and I can say, they blow it way out of proportion. If you want to remember anything from the 30 minute orientation you will have to do on the first day, it's "Be safety-conscience". Make sure you follow safety rules at all times - they are there for a reason. It doesn't happen often at all, and in the 5 or so months I've been at Formet with 2 different companies, there has only been one accident, and that was caused by a careless maintenance worker not fastening a lock to keep the machine from being turned on before he entered the booth. (You will not have to worry about this on most cases, because we pretty much never go anywhere near the production lines.)

One of the great things about working with PIC Group is that most of the time, you get to work the shift you want to. Every week we call in to a toll-free number, tell the woman what we are available for, whether it be "afternoons all week except Tuesday and Friday I need
  more... to take my kid to soccer, so I'll take the morning shift those days" or "I'm single, live at my parents' house and don't have anything to do, so just give me anything but mornings, I like to sleep in, and especially this Monday because I'm going to a bachelor party the night before."

Unlike most factory jobs, the PIC Group is more of "beaver" than an "ant". We work hard to get stuff done, but if there's no need to rush, why do it? It's not too rare to have the supervisor come down and say "Hey, they aren't making any more of this part for an hour, so once you finish up this box, just go take a 10 minute break while they make some of the other parts for you to inspect."

However if you are desiring a good income to support a family of 4, look elsewhere. All the steady-as-you-go comes at a small cost, and that's the wages. As a QCI, you are barely paid more than minimum wage. I personally work the midnight shift not just because it's even more laid back, but due to the $0.75 premium bonus per hour for working that time slot. It doesn't sound like much, but trust me, on this salary, it add's up to around $1200 at the end of the year, which is a good month and a half's worth of rent. You miss out on the night life, but in the end it's worthwhile if you don't have commitments like marriage or "bro-dom".

Pack a lunch, but keep one thing in mind: Unlimited Free Coffee. You might have to make it yourself on occasion, but it's free, can you really complain? If you are not a coffee drinker, there is cheap "juice" available in 2 out of a possible 3 flavours, rotating every few days: Vaguely Reminiscent of Orange, Might-Actually-Include-Fruit Punch, and "Lemonade". It's all just basically just a cheaper Kool-Aid powder and water.

All-In-all, If life doesn't hand you Fanshawe College...
Make PIC-emonade.
Pros
Free Unlimited Coffee & Juice, Very Laid-back, Good Atmosphere, Flexible Hours, Low Stress
Cons
Sometimes nothing to do for an hour at a time, Doesn't pay well enough to start a family, Poor Communication Protocols

Want to know more about The PIC Group?

Ask a question
fun at work
Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  MISeptember 14, 2014
A typical day at work, is fun and exciting. I enjoy my co-workers and supervisors a lot. I've learned how to be a team player and work as a group.
Productive and fun
Quality Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 2, 2014
We do a lot of work through out the day. My co-workers and I get a lot fine.
Productive environment with easy-going people.
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALAugust 26, 2014
Even though it was a third-shift job, I enjoyed working for PIC.
Pros
Always having something to do.
Cons
Temporary job
Enjoyable position but....
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, AlabamaJuly 21, 2014
First, I feel that the weekly call is difficult at times because it seems everyone tries to call in which leave you having to repeat calling the service just to register to be considered for the hours during the week. I do understand that senior quality control inspectors have priority over others, but with the newly hired, it takes forever to placed on the weekly schedule.

I have learned a great deal with the on the job training. I was so excited about working there, but again, very difficult to get on the weekly schedule.

The management...well that could be better. I found that most managers played favoritism to certain QCI, and it others not feeling like they belong during the shift. Not only the favoritism, but I found out there were personal relationships going on to point to where those involved we not trying to keep it on a professional level, to which disagreements arose on the job site, and made work your shift difficult to endure at times.

The hardest part of the job was the introduction of new sorts without proper training. I am prior military, and I like structure, to which this shift had none, often times most QCI left without the supervisor knowledge, and slacking out during the shift by just sitting around doing nothing. When there were no sorts to inspect, instead of just sitting around, let's get some training in topics that would not only benefit the company , but the employees at the same time.

Like I said before, I enjoyed coming to work and being productive. You get the chance to meet and work with a diverse group of people striving
  more... for the same goal...to inspect sorts with minimum errors and make the PIC Group profitable.  less
Pros
Working with a diverse group, learing new things, being productive
Cons
Favoritism, lack of weekly hours on schedule, no sorts often, personal relationships between management and emplyees
productive
Quality Control Inspector, Shift Lead, CNC (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 8, 2014
Great place to work at steady work 8hr shift family time go in do your job help others if you can and go home
Pros
great managment
Cons
company went out of business
insepted
Parks Inspector (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 22, 2014
looking over auto parts before they are shipped. its and 12 hour work day. in a factory .
relaxing
Quality inspector (Current Employee) –  MIJune 19, 2014
relaxing. very easy simple work. only problem was the work was on call at all times
Pros
free lunches
Cons
on call
Productive and laid back work place.
Inspector/Packer (Former Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAMay 21, 2014
It was a great company to work for. We came in did our job and we were rewarded very well for that. We were treated to free lunch sometimes as well as early wok days or all the overtime you wanted.
Pros
Good pay and plenty of overtime.
Cons
Job layed off.
Fast paced work enviornment
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Belvidere, ILJanuary 22, 2014
A fast paced work environment that required working in multiple locations locally as well as out of town.
Active place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 20, 2014
Very active place to work, keeps you on your toes. Being a supervisor with this company has made me a better person and leader.