The Picture People Employee Reviews

Busy
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 22, 2017
Picture People is an amazing to work for. I love getting to work with kids, which is most of the customer base. It's fun and you get to make the experience for everyone else just as fun.
photography
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJJanuary 12, 2017
fast paced with fun atmosphere. Thorough training with free creative room to experiment with different poses. I don't believe there are very many studios in existence.
Cons
trying to up-sell packages to customers
Never in the know
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 4, 2017
I never felt like I ever really knew what was really going in. I was being kept in the dark a lot. Sometimes not even being told I worked that day. Management was big on how good everything looks, not much else.
Pros
easy work, learned new skills
Cons
sales pitch
energetic and fast paced
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 1, 2017
A typical day is full of people coming and going requiring a positive attitude all day long. Whether its a short or long sessions people leave having had an enjoyable time with our photographers. I learned a good deal about sales and teamwork to make all of our guests happy. My manager and co-workers ensured everyone was on the same page so were rarely any problems. The hardest part of the job would have to be that there were not enough rooms to take each session in all of the time, which disappointed some of the guests. The most enjoyable part, however, is when you get to examine the photos with the guests and are able to experience the enthusiasm they had while having their pictures taken.
Great job while it lasted
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYNovember 9, 2016
Would still be at this job if my district hadn't closed. I moved up from employee to running my own store within 2yrs, even through pregnancy. Extremely family oriented. Fun place where associates are referred to as entertainers and we teach different ways to entertain and get wonderful photographs on film of children, families, groups and pets. off peek times can be very slow where you need to proactively try to convince customers to come and take pictures. Sales, are easy, as you are selling them photos of their families in most cases. Training and photography is not for everyone and is the most challenging part of the position. Also have to process the photos and deal with chemical processing equipment
Pros
atmosphere, income and growth potentional
Cons
trying to sell poor skilled photography at times
Absolutely Terrible!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 2, 2016
This company is TERRIBLE to work for! I was only with it for 3 years and was so upset with the company.....not the job. I love that i got to meet new people everyday and had the opurtunity to make smiles and memories happen. But this company doesnt care for any of that! Its all about numbers. U get no hours if you cant sell. You get no bonuses if you dont meet your numbers which is really hard when the company sends out coupon after coupon and people wanting freebies. And then the company approves compensations left and right.....losing money. They change policies and standards and required methods ALL THE TIME. and i mean ALL THE TIME!. selling methods, photography methods, even something as dumb as how you answer the phone. And if you dont get it right away its ur butt. I was the General Manager of my studio and it was shut down for 3 months! Then it reopened to close 20 days later! Claiming we were not profitable. After 20 days? And then to get told you were being laid off cause there was no store to manage.......kicker part was.......they WERE opening another store. Just not with me in it. I was not offered even an associate position in the new store. This place lies and just cares about good sales averages. Moment that drops its goodbye to your credility and hours.Like i said the job is wonderful but the company is terrible. Good luck!
Pros
Great work environment and flexible work schedule
Cons
COMPANY POLICIES
Great Experience, Cheap Manager
Photographer/Associate (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJune 8, 2016
I loved my experience with Picture People, but I feel like I didn't get enough out of it. The only real perk was the commission, but you only receive commission if everyone hits their sales goals, which most of the time never happened. I quit because a manager verbally abused me in front of a customer, and I repeatedly had to deal with them clocking me out for lunch or out at the end of my shift but insisting that I had to keep working. Should have made a bigger deal out of it but I chose to leave quietly. I've heard that since I left that manager has been moved. Hopefully he has been caught cheating his employees out of their overtime pay.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay, great photography experience, sales experience, relating to familes
Cons
No discounts or perks provided by company, abusive manager
Challenging and Rewarding work environment
Assistant Store Manager/Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 10, 2016
To start the day and not know what work will ask for on any given day has a certain thrill aspect. Working with couples, large families, and especially coordinating children is never easy, so when the parents thank you for the quality of pictures you provide for them, its difficult not to feel a sense of pride. As any photographer will tell you, a better camera is always appreciated, but the tools provided are more than enough to help you in creating a great final product. The best part of the job is having the parents tell you how much they enjoyed the process, pictures, and overall experience.
Pros
Incredibly flexible work schedule, accolades received fell meaningful
Cons
Full-time reserved for upper-management only
Fast Pace
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 12, 2016
The job is very fast pace and very busy especially during the holidays. The employees are mostly on edge trying to rush around and make sure we get everyone's needs met by the time they leave the studio. The managers are usually on edge cause the customers would complain sometimes but they still wasn't always the happiest. Some of the co-workers were ok depended all on their mood or what is going on at the studio.
Pros
lots of laughs
Cons
no insurane for part time workers or paid maternity leave
Fast paced work environment
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CADecember 14, 2015
Faced paced work environment that requires a lot from their employees without giving much in return. Provides training for all new employees.
Picture People
Sales Associate/Photographer (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 29, 2015
There is not much room for advancement in this company. They are quick to cut employees hours, and punish their employees for requesting a weekend off.
Pros
Cons
environment, management
Great Company
Sales Representative/ Photographer (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXSeptember 2, 2015
• Worked with clients to discuss the images they require and how they want to use them
• Suggested appropriate photographic subjects and opportunities according to client needs
• Carried out research and preparation for a shoot.
• Used an extensive range of technical equipment, including cameras, lenses, lighting and software.
• Managed the business aspects of the work, including administration, scheduling work, invoicing and basic accounting.
Worst Company to work for
Photographer (Former Employee) –  OrlandoAugust 29, 2015
I spent a month at picture people. After training i was getting one 5/6hr shift per week. Do not waste your time. The pay is cheap and management is very tacky and unorganised. Don't think they care about employees.
Filled with active Children and Parents
Receptionist/ Appointment Setter/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 13, 2015
For The Picture People I was responsible for answering phones, checking customers in, tele-marketing, cleaning, cash handling, organizing, photo editing, as well as being trained as a photographer.
Horrible hours.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 17, 2015
Working at The Picture People was fun! Management was decent and it was a nice environment. Only problem is that I'd be scheduled for 30 hours and would only get like 15. The days it wasn't busy, I'd get a call from them telling me they didn't need me to come in. Unfortunately, it happened too often.
Pros
Fun environment, Flexible
Cons
Little to no hours a week
A fun environment but an environment, not taken seriously
Studio Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAJune 12, 2015
Regardless of assigned shift, most days consisted of scheduled appointments overlapping one another. The busiest days were for the majority fully booked. Scheduling played a big part in inconsistency.
Pros
Studio Experience
Cons
No benefits beyond part-time
Fun filled job working with people
Assistant Manager, photographer, and sales (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WAMay 28, 2015
My job requires taking family portraits in fun fast friendly manor, then uploading them for the families to view and pick out their pictures. There are some days where I get to show the customers their prints and sell them packages that fit their household needs. Currently I gained the title of key holder( manager on duty) this is when I manage a team of 3-4 people. My co-workers are fun to be around which makes a very pleasant place to work. The hardest part of the job is when a little child comes in upset or is scared of getting their picture to turn their mood around and make them happy for the portraits. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the customers leave with a smile on their face.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIApril 30, 2015
Very happy , upbeat, and hectic atmospehere. if you like kids and do well under pressure as well as, a good multitasker. this is a great job. The hours are not great if you need full time.
Day to Day FUN
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIApril 16, 2015
While wearing a propeller on my head, I made people smile, and cry with joy everyday with every moment I captured. It got chaotic at times, we operated analog camera's and processed prints in an hour, as well as allotting 20 min. for each shoot. It was a very high paced environment, I would still be there today if they didn't close 1/2 the stores in the company when it was bought out.
Alls that matters is pushing people through like cattle more sittings more money
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIApril 1, 2015
20 minutes is not an adequate amount of time to allow for a photo shoot of children. Prices are WAY too high.
The only number that matters is yours average dollar sale, not even the daily plan. If your Average isn't up to par you don't matter.
Not enough pay for having all weekends and holidays spent at the studio. No incentives or any perks for being a great employee.
Go to a personal photographer, save your money.
Pros
not minimum wage pay
Cons
too much pressure, not enough pay, not enough time for good customer service, over inflated prices, cheap merchandise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Picture People. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9