The Primary Care Center

The Primary Care Center Employer Reviews

I would give NO stars if I could!
Chopped Liver (Former Employee), Decatur, the worst oneJuly 16, 2014
Pros: the feeling you get when you leave
Cons: the feeling you get when you have to go back
If you love to lie to sick people, take money upfront that isn't calculated correctly, work 12 hour shifts with a 15 minute break (if you're lucky), get reprimanded for nothing you've done, hear lies from management daily, work with new people continuously because they can't stay staffed, and work over-time without getting paid for it, then this is – more... the place for YOU!!
All you have to do is look up the history on indeed for The Primary Care Center, and you will see that they have 11 jobs posted continuously, because they can't keep staff for more than 3 to 6 months.
The "manager" spends 50% of her time on the job interviewing, hiring and "training", which is a joke, because your co-workers will train you more than she will.
NO ONE likes it there, and within your first few weeks, you will hear and see it for yourself.
There are no raises before a year, no appreciation for staff, and the practice is certainly not centered around helping patients.
The owner/MD has no manners and treats you like the subordinate that you are, in the most rude manner, and in front of patients.
You are not allowed to have anything to drink with you while you are working, including water, and never have the time to go to the break room to drink, because you are so overwhelmed with work. Hope you don't get dehydrated too easily. And if you do, I hope you have your doctor's note for that ONE day you called in, or else you won't be getting to use your PTO.
PTO is also an issue. Yes, you work overtime ALL THE TIME, and do not get paid for it, but it "goes toward your PTO". But you will never get to use your PTO, and if you quit, they won't pay you for the PTO you have saved up. Yes, you have to work MAJOR holidays and not get paid time and a half.
Halfway through my employment there (6 months total), the MD decided to stop paying a cleaning service to clean the offices nightly, and decided to give that responsibility to the already overworked staff, which means that not everything was cleaned correctly, and it certainly wasn't done nightly. On several occasions, I have witnessed illegal disposing of hazardous waste.
As for the May 2014 review, it is obviously written by management to lure in new staff. At any given time, you can walk into the Decatur location and I guarantee, you will see that the ratio of staff to patient is beyond "stress-free".
While employed there, at least 3 people that I can think of, walked out, mid shift, and quit. THAT'S the type of stress you are under.
The 12 hour shifts are nice because of the days you get off, but most of the time, you are actually working 13 to 14 hours a shift, and you waste your days off just recovering from the hard work you did the days before.
Staff is watched by management like criminals through several cameras installed throughout both practices. Hope you don't have a wedgie to pick!
Towards the end of my employment, computers were going out left and right (because they were ridiculously old) and instead of replacing them, they would just move the computers around, and sometimes, we would just have to work with one computer. And there was ALWAYS an issue with the faxes. If you've worked a medical office before, you know that faxing is crucial for pharmacies and medical records.
The PAs that actually have lasted years are gone or leaving, and no one there has worked there past 6 months, aside from a couple of comfortable employees. And when I say "comfortable employees", they hate it and still complain DAILY, they are just not the type to leave, I guess they are just accepting of the abuse more than most.
I truly suggest you go fill out an application for Target before you go through the process of working a The Primary Care Center. And if you are an existing patient, RUN!
Now, on to my Yelp review... – less
AWFUL company to work for
Front Office Assistant (Former Employee), DecaturJuly 16, 2014
Cons: short breaks, low pay, over worked, horrible management, rude doctor
I was employed by this horrible company from August-December 2013. When you first go in to the interview, they sell the company VERY well. You are SO exicted to start working for this amazing company!! They start you out a ridiculous LOW hourly wage, promising a large pay increase in 3 months. So then you start. They have two locations... The location – more... they start you out is in Decatur- The place is CRAZY busy, one PA working, 2-3 MAs, and 1-3 front office staff, depending on who decided to show and who quit that day. You work a 12 hour shift with only a 30 minute break, IF you are lucky to get a break. Dehydrate yourself so you don't have to go to the restroom. Your entire shift, you are watched by many cameras throughout the building, which I'm pretty sure is violating some sort of law. They are extremely strict, and NOT patient friendly so you get yelled out all day by patients who have been waiting for HOURS. It takes between 3-6 MONTHS for the management staff to respond to records request, as everything that is faxed or mailed must be signed off from the doctor who never reads his emails, so everyday you are hounded by insurance companies, patients, other doctors, etc all trying to obtain records. Patients have lost law suits because of this. Then there is the Sandy Springs location. They see approximately 1-5 patients a day, maybe 10 on a good day. So you're stuck here by yourself, you the PA and the MA for 12 hours BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND. You're constantly watched all day by cameras, so don't think about sneaking in a text or two. HORRIBLE. On your wonderful days off, while you're trying to recover from working so hard and much, they call you asking you to come in because so and so didn't show or quit, or is sick, etc. Oh, AND THEY DO NOT PAY OVERTIME, even though most of the time you do work overtime. They state they add it to your "PTO" time, but they rarely allow you to use your PTO because it's too busy and not enough employees to cover your shift. Asking for a day off, even months in advance, is difficult, not guaranteed, you are made to feel guilty and awful for asking.

Let's say a patient had lab work, and the results came back and they are NORMAL. This office will not say this over the phone, force the patient to come to the office, sit around for hours and pay an office visit charge, to be told the results are NORMAL.

The company does not patient bill, so they collect all deductibles and such BEFORE the treatment is given. So sometimes a patient comes in with a deductible plan, and you're taking payments 2-3 times throughout the visit. I ask, how do you ACCURATELY calculate a patient's portion of deductibles?? A LOT of patient's have positive balances, but they mostly refuse to refund. If we are unable to verify a patient's insurance, even if they've been seen there hundreds of times, we force them to pay self pay, wait for the insurance to pay and THEN they can maybe get a refund. I've been forced to ask a patient to pay less then a dollar before they could receive treatment, they didn't have it, so the PA literally refused to further treat the patient. For $0.60. Are you kidding me? So, naturally, I get yelled at by the patient. This is AWFUL business.

Now onto some blatant illegal activity. While I was there, at the SS location, there was a bag of biohazard waste just sitting there, and toss things they shouldn't in the regular trash, like speculums with patient tissue, in the REGULAR TRASH, because they want to keep the hazardous waste low, considering they have to pay per pound every pick up. WOW.

The owner/doctor is VERY rude to his employees AND patients, verbally abuses his employees, and can't understand why the turn-around is so high. He also speaks negatively about other employees to employees, and also pay rates. Also, if you are deemed the "opener/closer", if something happens to you (car crash, traffic jam, etc) then there's not a back up to open the office before opening. So until you or someone else can get there, patients and staff are just standing around waiting. Over-worked, under-payed and forced to deal with awful management. This is a horrible place to work for. They trick you into starting, and only see their employees as temporary employees, instead of treating you well and paying you well and investing in employees.

So you're dealing with all this, and your 3 month review rolls around. YAY, a raise, light at the end of a long, dark tunnel. I had NO negative comments in my review, I asked about this raise I was promised, and she tells me "OH, we never give out 3 month raises, only yearly raises." So I was lied to. Everyday, someone is quitting, sometimes in the middle of a shift. I personally have had to run the front office by myself when we saw 60-80 patients.
They do offer a paid health insurance plan, but that plan sucks, with a GIANT deductible. The other plans offered, that are relatively OK, are NOT paid, and expensive. But no worries, you probably won't stay long enough to even use it. I know I didn't.

If this sounds enjoyable, work here!!! – less
Happy Place, Great Career
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Decatur, GAMay 14, 2014
Pros: great benefits
For a small business they really go out of their way to give you excellent benefits, better than larger institutions. For example you participate in fully matched retirement plan in 1 year and get vested in 1 year, so if you leave in 1year you can take your matched retirement with you. Everywhere else its 5 years wait.
They have all benefits health, – more... dental, vision, sick time, vacation time PTO etc.I think they give good benefits to attract good employees. My plan was same as the doctors.
I got a decent raise every year plus or minus within 1 week of my hire date anniversary
Ratio to patients and full time employees is way higher than the most offices, so you always have more help than you need. So no stress.
Good flexible 12 hour shifts, so you work 3-4 days in a week and have 3-4 days off. That helps a lot with family, kids and stuff you need to get done in your personal life. Excellent job satisfaction.
Above average salaries than the market.
All those years they management and owner was kind, forgiving, appreciative and helpful, they trained extensively, tolerated a lot and still helped me grow and grow up.
great business culture, I had good coworkers, everybody chipped in.
I wish I didn't have to leave, mom was sick and I had to take care of her. Resigned hoping someday will again work for them.
I look at it as a career job. If you are lazy and hide in the bathrooms and like to text all day and just hang out chit chating all day, this is not the place for you.
If you want to feel good about yourself, be happy working, look forward to work everyday and grow this is the company that's talking about expanding to every state in the US.
Hope this helps. I miss my job. – less
Seemed great at first, but then the facade fades.
Everyone is treated poorly. (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: your days off, but even then, you are dreading going back in.
Cons: just about everything else.
Management is horrible, no one takes accountability for anything there. They will lie to you to get you in the door, talk you into accepting a smaller wage, with promises of raises within 3 months. Of course, once you're in the door, you find out that they don't even consider raises until after the first year. Training is very minimal. You may have – more... one day going over things with the direct supervisor, but then you'll be thrown in to fend for yourself. If you are a current employee, you are expected to train the new hire, so no one knows what has been taught to whom, and who knows how to do what. Many MA externs are used there as well, but only for the free work, because they won't let you have the hands on training you need. In fact, if you are an MA extern, you'll be learning the computer and how to answer the phone, so I hope you don't need those clinic training hours to graduate, because you will not be administering shots at all. If you work up front, you will constantly have to talk people off a ledge regarding their medical records, because it takes PCC approximately 6 months, or a threat, in order to handle all medical record inquiries. No one cares for you personally, only the job that needs to be done. 12+ hour shifts with no cut off time for patients to be seen, and if someone walks in the door at 8:59pm, you have to see them. If they are short staffed, which is always the issue since it's a rotating door, they won't think twice about putting you by yourself to attend to 40+ patients a day- sometimes as many as 60 in a 12 hour day. They never pay you overtime, states it goes towards your "paid time off" which miraculously doesn't add up each time you look at your time sheet. That is IF you get a time sheet, just about every other pay day, you don't. The practice is open everyday, and if you work a big holiday, it in no way means you won't be put on to work the next, NOR do you get paid time and a half for working overtime OR holidays. If you have a mandatory meeting, you'll be asking them at least two pay periods to add it to your check, because that's another thing that miraculously gets forgotten about. The way the practice is run is strictly off how much money that can get out of people, and their employees. The employees that HAVE lasted longer than 6 months are comfortable and not required to work like everyone else. In fact, their shocking behavior is ignored and tolerated by management. There are cameras at both locations, watching your every move, because they do not trust their employees, and tell tales of people "stealing things" to justify the lack of privacy. The break room they provide for employees has a phone -and yes, one of those cameras to track you- that rings non-stop, so it's impossible to enjoy any break you are given, not to mention the MD/owner doesn't respect your break time and will bother you with work related inquires if you are in there. If they are short staffed, you're asked to "come to work prepared for lunch", meaning you'll get a quick 15 minute break during your 12 hour shift, because no one is there to do what you do. The MD has many promises to move you up in the company, even to a corporate job. He constantly blames past staff for everything that has gone wrong, and thinks that if he just gets a good staff going, then things will be fine. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. He has had great staff, several times over, but will never keep them unless he decides to change the way HE is. – less
Externship
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Sandy Springs, GAAugust 27, 2013
This is the company I completed my extership with, I really learned a lot and mastered the art of phlebotomy!
Micromanaging; Extremely Knowledgeable Supervisng Physcian
Physician Assistant (Former Employee), Decatur, GAJuly 17, 2012
Pros: excellent training on a variety of medical conditions. bonus based on production
Cons: mercurial supervising physician
Very busy office. Expect to see 45 -55 visits per/12 hour shift, with 2 - 3 MA's. Very high staff turnover. Physician supervises staff directly on site and remotely by camera. The Supervising Physcian is very smart and difficult to work with