The Princeton Review

The Princeton Review Employer Reviews

na
Private Level Tutoring Coordinator (Current Employee), Edison, NJJune 9, 2014
• Provides high level customer support for students through care calls, classroom visits, effective communication, follow through, and upselling
• Serves as direct liaison for private tutoring students and tutors in the New Jersey market
• Reinforces positive brand recognition and referral cycles
• Individually consults prospective students and parents – more... in order to drive sales of private tutorials
• Assigns tutors to tutorials, looking for the best match of student and tutor
• Increases tutorial revenue by ways of upsell and cross-sell of additional programs to existing students
• Participates in market-wide sales initiatives, including individual consultations and large presentations to groups
• Maintains a healthy relationship between tutors, teachers, students and office staff – less
Helped school kids with thier work
Teacher's Aid (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 30, 2014
• Diligent individual able to work in an environment that is conducive to growth and team participation
• Good computer skills
• Good customer service with professionalism and diplomacy through good interpersonal and communication skills
Great Culture
Executive Director (Former Employee), New York, New YorkMay 20, 2014
Pros: large corporate company & i learned a lot about business structure
Cons: favoritism amongst divisions
Constant communication with higher ups. I learned a lot about corporate business structure and how things were expected from a board of directors. Management was effective, smart and always educating us. My co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was the limited budget for my division. The most enjoyable part was the company culture and relaxed – more... atmosphere. – less
Horrible!!
Student coordinator (Former Employee), Student services coordinatorMay 4, 2014
Pros: you can come and go as you please
Cons: horrible pay and unethical company
If you swear, are an alcoholic, are unethical, no morale, disorganized, and want to get paid less than you are worth, this may be your company.
All employees have the perfect mix of professionalism and fun.
Operations Assistant (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 12, 2014
A typical day is comprised of assisting customers in selecting classes for their students, enrolling them in said classes, and answering any questions they may have regarding the company. While with the Princeton Review, I have learned more about office administration as well as education, be it high school or graduate studies. The company is very well – more... managed and works effectively with all branches across the company. The hardest part of the job was not always being able to please every customer. Sometimes a class that was selected needed to be cancelled and rescheduled due to low enrollment and there were times that a student's schedule would not allow them to participate in the rescheduled course. On the other hand, the most enjoyable part of the job was getting calls from ecstatic parents when their students got their official test scores back and/or got into the college they wanted. It is a great feeling to assist someone on their way to achieving their dreams. – less
Great training and fun staff but very autonomous work
SAT Instructor (Former Employee), CAApril 9, 2014
I really enjoyed teaching all of my SAT courses, and the training program or SAT Instructors specifically was really good - I felt very prepared going into my first class.

Once you start working and picking up classes, however, it's a bit disorganized. I was often subbing random classes at the last-minute because either the instructor would bail or – more... the class coordinator wasn't on top of it. So in my experience, as an instructor I had to really treat my position like my own business and really work on my own to make sure all the bases were covered and that things were going smoothly.

All in all, really enjoyable job, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Just make sure you can handle yourself and not rely on the office too much! – less
The perfect job for part time work
Teacher (Former Employee), Freehold, NJMarch 24, 2014
I would recommend Princeton Review for part time work, where one needs to choose his/her hours.
Sporadic employment
Instructor; Hiring Manager (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Classes are hit and miss. $25/hr sounds great but not if you only get 3 hours a week...
Slight feeling of decit
Site Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: decent pay for a teenager
Cons: no security at all
I worked in jersey and was sent to really really bad neighbourhoods by myself.( I was a young girl at the time).

Did'nt feel safe, but they compensated you for the security they failed to provide.
Productive and fun environment
Part-Time Operations Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 22, 2013
My typical day at work consists of corresponding with facility vendors, students, parents, and teachers. Because I oversee all of the facilities we use to run our courses, there is a heavy responsibility of maintaining professional relationships. I assist the Director of Operations with day-to-day operations of the DC, Maryland, and Virginia course – more... management, but extend my help to the Tutoring and Marketing department when needed.

I have always had wonderful supervisors who supported by professional and academic goals. If I fell short of a goal, they made me feel that it was not a personal failure. I work with great people in my office - funny, entertaining, and hard-working. They provide just the right mix of productivity and enjoyment.

The most difficult aspect of my job is the changing market of test prep education. The standardized tests go through so many changes, and we always have to be ready with strategies. The most enjoyable part of my job is scheduling MCAT classes with our teachers - it is like a puzzle, and you have to make sure all the pieces fit together for a successful calendar.

I have held a variety of roles in this office, and I love is that I have gained exposure to different industries. What is more fulfilling is that you are more than just an "assistant." I was bestowed many tasks beyond my initial capabilities and learned how to fine-tune each one. People here treat you like an equal, not a subordinate. – less
productive
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee), Syosset NYOctober 11, 2013
• Established contact with over 500 public schools and libraries on Long Island, resulting in a 50% increase in interest in free programs and events for prospective Princeton Review students
• Expanded Princeton Review’s presence on Long Island college campuses and universities by strategically placing course announcement flyers and distributing interest – more... (proctor) cards to potential students
• Organized a seamless program for both students and tutors by directing the proctors and subsequent delivery of diagnostic exams – less
productive and fun work enviroment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Scranton, PAOctober 4, 2013
Would recommend this company to someone trying to get experience in a call center setting
Great vision and purpose
Director of SES (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAAugust 4, 2013
Pros: state travel to address all school districts
Cons: limited in services due to the budgets of some school districts.
Overall the Princeton Review had a good vision for the purpose of the mission we worked on during the time of my employment. Our purpose was to provide supplemental Educational tutoring services to School Districts throughout the State of Louisiana, to assist Schools and students improve overall Standardized test scores.
Easy Going Work Place
Proctorer (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJuly 13, 2013
Pros: only 4-5hr shifts and early in the morning on weekends, paid well
Cons: assignments were inconsistently given
It's a good and fun company to work for, especially while in school but getting hours is a dog fight until management gets to know you and when management changed they didn't send over the list of proctorers and its like starting from the bottom all over again.
Great job for college students
classroom instructor and master tutor (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAJune 3, 2013
Pros: work environment, payroll system, opportunities to advance
Cons: benefits, sick days, consistency of work hours
You can get hired here with no teaching experience: you will have to train to teach each test type anyway. The teachers and trainers at TPR are AWESOME. The office staff is really helpful too, and will scratch your back if you scratch theirs (e.g. you agree to teach a class 40 miles away; they hook you up with a convenient - and higher paying - tutoring – more... assignment). There is tons of opportunity to advance. You can train to teach additional test types, for example, which will immediately add to your regular hourly rate. You might start out teaching SAT, and soon cross-train for ACT, GRE, or GMAT. Even if you have no science background (like me) you can teach the non-science portion of the MCAT. (As long as you score well enough on a practice/real test, and the trainer gives you a passing grade.) After you've taught two classes, you can start tutoring (at a higher rate of course). And if the kids like you, you'll get promoted to a higher rank. Most tutors with the company at least a year will be promoted to the middle rank. Few get promoted to the top rank.

You're thinking "I'm a good teacher, and I could make more money if I charged people privately than by working through a company like this." Let me tell you why you're [mostly] wrong. Working in California for some reason makes networking and referrals really difficult. I don't know if parents don't talk to each other as much, or if they don't want to admit to other parents that their kid needed a tutor, but referrals were few and far between for me. As soon as I moved to Chicago I found myself with a big referral chain of clients. So yeah, you could make a higher hourly rate charging people privately for your services, but you'll have a lot less work. It's reasonable to expect 3 weeknights and full weekends with this company. If you're in school, this is the perfect schedule for you. Teaching classes is really where you can rake in, because even at a lower pay rate, you'll get a ton of work. You can even opt to proctor tests, give demonstrations at free events, train to teach online, write testing materials - the opportunities to make extra money are seemingly endless.

Fair warnings - You are guaranteed to mess something up, at some point. You might be locked out of your classroom. You might oversleep, or forget an appointment. You might be double-booked with another teacher for a room and have to teach your kids in the coffee shop downstairs (angry parents warning). You might go to work Sunday morning with a hangover and not be able to answer a question a kid had about material you have never actually seen before. I can definitively tell you NOT to take your student's offer to play rock band with them in their basement if you're a male teacher. It seems innocuous, but to that kid's dad, you're a creep. If you're a female teacher, be prepared for a 16 year old boy to write you a love letter. You will definitely have a smart aleck student at some point who will call you out in class on not solving a math problem the "real" way (TPR teaches shortcuts to solving questions, and there are some questions written specifically to teach these strategies. These questions are designed NOT to be easily solved the "real" way and some kids might put you on the spot to prove you know what you're doing).

Some nice perks - the payroll system is effortless. Sometimes the office staff lets you buy your class some pizzas or donuts. You might find yourself tutoring kids in REALLY nice houses (a beautiful escape from your messy apartment, let me tell you). You can swear in front of your students. You can wear sandals to work. You can leave your piercings in, color your hair purple, grow an epic beard, have dread locks - these are all descriptions of different coworkers I've had over the years. Another huge perk: are you planning to take the GRE/GMAT/LSAT/MCAT? Train to teach it. I guarantee you'll ace that test. There are even opportunities to travel to Puerto Rico, Thailand, and some other places I can't remember right now.

The few cons - no healthcare, no sick days, no paid vacation or time off, no retirement benefits. If you're sick, you need to be prepared either to go to work anyway, or deal with calling your 12 students' parents at 8 in the morning to tell them you're canceling their 10am class and no, you can't tell them this instant when the makeup will be (then deal with finding a time when all 12 students can make up the class). Sometimes you can find a last-minute sub. See my note about scratching your office staffers' backs above. Canceling tutorials is easier, however. Another thing I should mention is the slow times. There are some periods of the year you will be completely booked. Other times you might have 5 hours a week. Budget.

This was a great job for that time in my life (age 22-27). Even after graduating, it paid better than a job in my field. I highly recommend it! – less
Fun
Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 10, 2013
Good part-time job. High paying but not enough hours typically.
Fun job that utilized my interpersonal skills
LSAT Instructor (Former Employee), Norman, OKMay 3, 2013
I enjoyed teaching. It was rewarding to engage in the exchange between myself and my students.
Good company but lots of turnover
Tutor (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 3, 2013
Good company but lots of turnover so not always easy to get the assistance you need
Great company to be employed by
Substitute Teacher/ Proctor (Former Employee), El Paso, TXMarch 26, 2013
Pros: supplys and gas compensation
all employees are great and fun to work with.
if you enjoy working with kids and the education system then highly consider this company.
Gained management experience
Site Manager (Former Employee), N.Y.C N.YJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: i had a supportive team
Processed payroll to ensure budget was in line, gained communication skills. Maintained relationships with key stockholders to make sure teching staff were providing assessments to measure student academic gains.

About The Princeton Review

The Princeton Review, Inc. provides integrated classroom-based, print and online products and services that address the needs – Read more