The Providence Community Health Centers, Inc.

The Providence Community Health Centers, Inc. Employee Reviews

The best place to work for and to get healthcare
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 6, 2017
I enjoyed my employment there, I learned patience under pressure, clerical work and working with a diverse culture group. The hardest part of the job was learning new things which occurred often,but they were very helpful in their training. The most enjoyable was the teamwork and the friendships which were formed over the years. Also working within the community was rewarding. I have done everything from filing, answering phones, xeroxing, helped pts. Fill out forms, filed lab work etc. In pts.records, delivered records to the necessary clinics, attended all meetings and learned the electronic medical record system which wasn't the easiest to comprehend at that time. Working with the public is something I enjoy, but it also can be challenging.Throughout the years there have been many different bosses each with their own personalities and set of standards, but I tend to just go with the flow, so I had no problems.
Pros
GReat Benefits and healthcare
Never bored
Medical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 23, 2017
This position supported Chief Medical Office, Medical Director and Vice President for Process Improvement. It required multi tasking and organization skills.
Benefits
Cons
35 hr work week
Typical work day
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  RIJuly 31, 2017
Busy more work then should be in 1 day, not enough time off. Interesting how all others are compensated more then providers and how much pressure is on the providers to see more patients.
Great coworkers, no room for advancement
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 20, 2017
The coworkers in the billing department and one hour lunch great. No room for advancement in the coding department and the other coders were stuck up and back stabbers.
Pros
One hour lunch, Great coworkers n the billing department
Cons
Not enough coders and no room for advancement.
It is a very enjoyable place to work
RN Float/Perdiem (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 22, 2017
I enjoyed working at PCHC. I enjoyed the opportunity to be busy, challenged and continually learn more. I enjoyed working with the Hispanic and Cambodian population and speaking and continually improving on my Spanish and learning a bit of Khmer. I enjoyed learning all the clinical and computer skills I needed I enjoyed patient teaching, triage, pediatrics, family and internal medicine.
I was a float perdiem and would of liked to find a permanent suitable position that was not offered in my case. I have religious beliefs that kept me from working in OB-GYN which kept me back from possible permanent positions.
Pros
Salary, benefits, lots to learn. A favorite!
Cons
unable to find a permanent or perdiem that was suitable for my needs and with health insurance
A chaotic mis-managed organization
RN (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 22, 2016
This organization was ill prepared for the challenges of the affordable care act and the 21st century. They have an electronic health record system and do not utilize to it's optimum resulting in poor patient outcomes. Management obviously has not been updated on how to best utilize the EHR. There are so many ways that the clinics could function more efficiently and cost effective.Management fails to utilize staff to it's optimum
The health center aides are utilized more as interpreters and the company is losing thousands of dollars every day by not utilizing outside interpreters who are paid by the insurance companies. Therefore, nurses are having to do a lot of the work that the health aides should be doing. There are no office assistants and the nurses have to fill that void by handling phone calls, faxing, sorting mail (which 90% of it should be scanned directly into the EHR and not go to the nurse) and other administrative duties on top of an already busy schedule of duties.
Morale is low among staff members and a lot of workplace bullying takes place among workers and management staff.
The work hours are bizarre M, W and F 8:30-5 and T, Th 11:30-8:00 p.m.
Pros
Cons
poor management and leadership
Poor Management
Ex nurse (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 24, 2016
Management clueless about everything.
Bizarre hours, your body will pay for that.
Politics involved.
You will never move up.
Doctors never last, they use the immigration system to hire.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Social Busy environment
Medical Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 26, 2016
As my experience at the health center,i had a great journey. I learned multi task at the same time, phone,computer and patients.The co workers are great,hard workers and very socials. I had good experience with nurses and providers
Watch coworkers that have been there for years disapear
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 28, 2016
very sad was a great place to work but has gone downhill fast in the last 2-3 years, not a place to look for a long term job layoffs are a weekly thing, one here one there politics.
Pros
it is a job
Cons
no long term security
Low Employee Morale
Professional (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 24, 2016
The clinical staff is hard working and committed to mission. However, management disconnected from day to day operations. There is lack of organizational communication. Employee morale is very low due and continues to decline.
Pros
35 hour work week
Cons
No career growth, salary structure not defined and lack of leadership.

Want to know more about The Providence Community Health Centers, Inc.?

Ask a question
Great coworkers, hour lunch
Medical Biller/Coder (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 3, 2016
I worked with a great group of girls and the company is good to work for until a health crisis happens. A typical day is mostly posting charges and fixing front desk issues at the health centers.
Pros
Good pay, clean work environment, hour lunch
Cons
No room for advancement, short handed in the coding department
Non Profit Community Health Cneter
RI-Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 17, 2016
Day to Day Operations for a large medical clinic 8 providers,
I have been employed as the Director for 6 years, I learned that I can problem solve, work with a large team and successfully run a very busy clinic,
My management style if very fair, open door policy which I never find myself in the office, I typically am found sitting in the Medical clinic,
Co workers are a great team, I have wonderful providers (8) who work well together,
the most difficult part of the job is to attend meetings that we don't get things accomplished,
the most enjoyable part of the job is to see those familiar patients who we seen quite often, the children that come in and the job it self is very rewarding to me, I typically put in a 9 to 10 hour day because I enjoy going to work everyday,
Pros
Patient satisfaction, just knowing that the Providers at my clinic care and are devoted to the patients.
Cons
Location, we our situated in a low income (poverty)area, small building
Nice People
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 12, 2016
I loved my externship at the Providence Community Health Centers. The people were really nice and easy to work with. My days working there was cut way to short because it was only an externship but to this day I still miss it very much.
productive
medico assistant (Former Employee) –  Avon Park, FLNovember 28, 2015
It was a very good company people are very friendly and good helpers.it was fun the most important thing we had always something new to learn .
MEDICAL ASSISTANT/Translator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 15, 2015
My tipical day was do vitals on every client, request blood work from different labs, and also schedule appts for the clients.
I began working with the Providence Community Health Centers in 2001
Certified Lactation Counselor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 16, 2015
What a wonderful experience I had when I began working for the Providence Community Health Centers. I worked very closely with Registered Nurses and Medical Doctors.
great place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 21, 2014
very busy culturally diverse clinic
Management and co-workers were supportive
Lots of patient contact
Pros
good benefits/ gerat people
productive and very busy clinic
Health Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 2, 2014
this job became a part of me i had a passion for this job great co workers
nice work place with friendly co workers
Medical Assistant Internship (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 22, 2013
the most enjoyable part of my day was dealing with the patients, they were all friendly and make my job so much more enjoyable. I learned a lot of communication skills and how to manage my time properly. but most importantly I leaned that I love working in the medical field.
Pros
nice and neat
Cons
a little tight on space
The personal rewards out-weigh the day-to-day challenges
Director - Chafee Health Center (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 22, 2013
There are no typical days at a large Health Center due to the diversity of both staff and patient populations from many cultural / ethnic groups. Not all, but many of our patients wait too long to be seen for critical health issues due to a lack of understanding of preventive care. My staff and I see a lot of sadness everyday that could have been prevented. We do our best to care for and help patients successfully maneuver through a health care system that can be insurmountable for people with many barriers such as language, lack of education, and low economic status. My staff and I have learned as much from our patients ( in compassion, broader awareness of cultural differences, etc ) as we have served their health needs. I am very fortunate to have a dedicated staff of MA's, nurses and doctors that reach out to these patients everyday and go beyond issues of patient medical care. The hardest part of my job is managing people, especially staff. My staff are also multicultural and from different socio/economic groups, and hold different views on work ethics. My challenge is to adhere to strict fairness and consistency in managing their requests, poor job performance, training, and all other aspects of labor relations. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get it right for both my patients and staff.
Pros
diversity, cultural experiences, diverse staff, good company benefits
Cons
non-profit, diverse language challenges

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Providence Community Health Centers, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

The Providence Community Health Centers, Inc. Reviews by Location