The Public Theater Employee Reviews

Carpenter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2017
Co-workers are great. Management is personable and understanding. No employee benefits for overhire outside of discounted tickets (which is to be expected), but bookers tend to offer a lot of work when they're busy and if they like you.
Pros
Healthy work atmosphere, culture, quality break time
Cons
Inconsistent work (as is the nature of theater)
Workplace Culture
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2017
Working at The Public's Shakespeare in the Park was the most fun. Everyone is like one big family. We all worked every show, so we all got super close. It was a great experience and I still value my experience there.
Productive, and fun work place involving amazing theater
House Staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2017
Productive, and fun work place involving amazing theater. Manage day to day operations including theater management and client services. The hardest part about this job is the occasional multitasking when issues arise. The most enjoyable part is being around amazing theater/art.
Great work environment with great people
Audio Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2017
Setting up audio/video equipment for theatrical productions. Great work environment with some really great people. Learned a great deal about rigging of A/V equipment and how it work properly.
Pros
Environment, enjoyable work, multiple breaks.
Cons
Healthcare
PRoductive, career oriented
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2015
Be prompt to call times, rehearsals, blocking, tech, dress rehearsal, and production meetings, and performance call times.
Performed in 30 productions in Childrens Theater and Summer Shakespeare Festivals. Paid actor for 4 years seasonal. Some productions in Children Theater overlapped with the last week of a production with the last week of tech for the following weekend to opening the next production
Learned to be diligent, on time, work hard, be creative, think quick on my feet
Pros
Acting, paid, co workers, learning experience
Friendly work environrment
Customer Service Representative/Greeter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2014
My typical day at work started with me arriving 20 minutes ahead of my weekly schedule. I would secure all exits, set up Stanchion Ropes for patrons to line up for shows and pass out programs for those interested in the actual activities related to the performance. After each show i would help prepare for the next show as well as help clean as directed and clock out. this routine was preformed monday thru friday and sometimes on weekends
Pros
staff meals etc..
Nationally recognized theatrical institution with an incredible mission.
Development Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2013
Passionate colleagues working to bring the theater's mission of access to life offering the highest caliber of theater.
Interesting work environment
Box Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2012
No day at the Public Theater is ever quite the same, but I often feel unchallenged. Much of the management's tasks could be delegated to assistants, however, this is not the case.
Pros
complimentary tickets
Cons
late hours, inconsistent days off, large staff