The Quikrete Companies Employee Reviews

Long days for min pay
Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 20, 2017
Old crew in office that shows favoritism to older drivers. Meaning you will get off later & get paid less because the ideal loads are not evenly distributed between drivers.
I would never recommend this job to anyone!!!
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Elburn, ILJune 15, 2017
They make the job sound nice and easy but when you actually start working it's the exact opposite. Management is never around let alone able to help you. For the first year you have to do the grunt work with no options for advancement unless someone quits or gets fired. Plus your more than likely going to be harassed by someone there. You'd be better off working somewhere else.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No supervision, teach yourself everything, no acknowledgement of a good job only negative feedback
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Picayune, MSMay 17, 2017
Working on the concrete packer everyday from it being clogged up.
Working on the assembly line.
Working on the scales for different pounds for different bags.
Working on robot everyday.
Hand stacking the sand pallets.
Forklift driving and stacking pallets in warehouse.
worst experince of my working career
distpatch (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ORMay 16, 2017
Worst experience of my working career.lasted 45 days in that time office assistant quit 2nd day no replacement plant manager was let go 2nd week. Low morale, very dirty, constant plant breakdowns. High turnover, low pay, long hours.This is just the short list. Way to much to mention here.
Pros
Cons
long hours, poor management, run on the cheap
Great Owners, Great Culture - Employees are taken care of!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 9, 2017
Superb Company and highly respected amongst competitors and other brands. Management always took the time to get to know their employees and customers.
Good Place to work
Accounts Receivable, Billing and Sales (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, VAMay 4, 2017
Great place to work if you don't mind dust and layoffs. Great about letting off and making up time without using vacation or sick time. Good Pay. Insurance not great.
Pros
pay
Cons
layoffs
Enjoyable work with retail and commercial sales.
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montana and WyomingMay 4, 2017
I enjoyed hands on merchandising in retail locations, training of associates and DIY customers, along with creating interactive displays. The commercial side of the business, selling to masons and to the mining industry, was very satisfying work.
good job
driver (Former Employee) –  Wauregan, CTApril 29, 2017
company is good place to work I drove truck for them to local company's, servicing the account with delivery of products and local jobsites was good as was seasonal as my own business
Pros
seasonal at right time for my business
stressful work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, NHMarch 7, 2017
This was a great job after finishing college and it got my foot in the door with some experience. The only issue I had was poor upper management and lack of communication.
Run for your life. Horrible company.
Plant manager (Former Employee) –  FLFebruary 9, 2017
This company is concerned with nothing but profits. The Winchesters put out nearly zero money into equipment, facilities, training or hiring/retaining quality employees. The pay is low compared to industry standards. Dirty. Unsafe.

The regional manager in Florida is racist and elitist, despises southern people, very mean and abrupt with female employees. Promise raises they never give, and JI has run off more great, competent plant managers than I can count.

Worn out, old and outdated equipment, yet expects employees to generate excessive amounts of product with it. Unreal stress put on employees, managers. Impossible situation

Company is broken from the top down. The only people happy to work there are the owners who do nothing but extract profits and invest nearly nothing back into it.

Very, very high manager turn-over rate for a reason. Truly smart people leave this company.

The real shame is, this company could actually afford to do things right, with excellent equipment and thorough training and safety. But it would take a team of consultants to come in and restructure from beneath the owners down.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Horribly managed top down. A train wreck.
Good out doors job to have
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDJanuary 22, 2017
Good job to meet all different types of people and go to different job sites on a daily bases but some places traffic was a nightmare. When you get to the job site or store that you are delivering to 99% of your contacts made you forget about the rough trip over. Which changed your attitude for the better.
It was good place to work
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Marcellus, NYDecember 2, 2016
In a day I would enter orders in to the computer. Schedule the drivers and the deliveries. Order items needed to fill the orders. Receive in the items needed for production.

I learned how to evenly load an 18 wheeler flat bed trailer.

Management was changing all the time it was hard to keep up with the changes each one wanted to do.

I liked most of my co-workers well really all but one person.

The hardest part was learning all the new things each manager wanted to implement.

The enjoyable part of the job was the people I met.
Pros
The people I met.
Cons
All the new management policies.
Forklift Operator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 15, 2016
This was a very high pace production place. As a supervisor I broke a lot of records on our production lines with the help or our employees. And had fun in doing so,
Demanding and relentless
Plant Manger (Former Employee) –  NYAugust 15, 2016
Dirty business that runs profitably on very tight margins. Capital is scarce.

Low wages and poor benefits keep the plants from being more automated.

Safety improvements are only driven by regulatory action - If OSHA is not knocking on your door, then compliance is not encouraged, unless it is free. Management refused to support any safety recognition programs.

Verbal policy is to turn hourly people within 5 years to avoid silicosis liability and prevent total vesting in 401K.

Managers are often promoted or terminated for no discernible reason.

Salesmen determine policies, operations folks must comply. Specifically, the sales people often price below cost to meet their gross sales quota; operations then has the task of squeezing a profit from the loss.

Micromanagement has the CEO signing every check for every bill - even a $50 check to renew a truck registration - so that creditors are often calling to complain.

In general, an unpleasant environment. It is a job if you have no other options or love the dusting of cement on your car every day.
Pros
Recession proof business
Cons
Long hours and poor benefits, regulatory concerns
A good company with great people and a popular product with multiple internal issues.
SW Regional Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 1, 2016
Customer service oriented company. A lot of good people with integrity. Great position in the market with a lot of demand for the product. The company is very busy. A lot of work to be done. There is some potential for long term employment here. A lot is expected from the employees. The company operates with a very lean top management structure. The plant sites and operating equipment have been in use for a long time. Maintenance budgets are kept to a minimum. The physical work environment can be challenging. Working conditions are often dusty and hot in the summer and dusty and cold in the winter. The company is very good at managing pennies. Repairs are usually done by crisis. A lot of silicone, scrap metal, and sheet metal screws holding things together. There is a strong internal push to modernize with robotic palletizing equipment. Bailing wire, silicone, rusty equipment with holes, and Robots.
Pros
Customer Focused, Popular Product, Major Player, Potential for growth. Work load promises potential job security, a lot of individual responsibility
Cons
Unpleasant working conditions, long hours, tendency to micro-manage, very little individual authority, equipment and plant sites are old and poorly maintained.
An amazing company to work for
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMarch 21, 2016
I absolutely loved working for this company! The workload can be extensive, but it is not impossible. I was given the opportunity to learn and refresh a number of skill with this company, including the dispatching of delivery trucks and receiving of bulk materials into the corporate system. I also learned the communication abilities that are necessary to maintain a branch of a larger corporate infrastructure. The plant manager was an exceptional supervisor who went above and beyond to ensure that I would thrive within the company. My co-workers were phenomenal people who diligently worked to maintain a clean, efficient workplace. The best part of the job was definitely the people I got to work with, both co-workers and customers alike. However, the worst part would have to be the customers who would become irate when I was forced to contact them for collections. Quikrete is a wonderful company, and I was sincerely distraught at having to leave my position.
Was a good company to work for
Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrison, OhioMarch 11, 2016
Everyone was hard working and it was a good company as far as employees. It was a relaxed working environment. It is a dusty work environment which made your clothes dirty each day. It did not ruin your clothes, but you carried it away from work.
Pros
Easy going atmosphere
Cons
Hard for advancement or to move up to different positions
was ok
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ravenna OhioMay 27, 2015
really busy, , bad communications, co-workers some showed how to do the job, hard to finding your supervisor, very friendly co-workers, but wrongful way to let someone go due to medical injuries
The worse company's that I've ever worked for
Office Administration (Former Employee) –  ILFebruary 25, 2015
I left after 10.5 years because of managerial verbal abuse. I was over qualified for the job from the beginning, worked hard everyday, including assisting and teaching my coworkers and never had any opportunities within the company to advance to take a better position.
Good solid career opportunities
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  MultipleDecember 15, 2014
Quikrete is and has been a quickly growing company for many years. They are, overall, a good company to work for due to their stability and room to move up in your career.

Work on the floor can be strenuous, but is not particularly more so than many hands on jobs. Hard work is generally rewarded, overtime.

Those who can learn quickly and master skills within the plant make themselves a real asset and can have more security and higher pay.

Management is typically reasonable and uses common sense as its primary driver in decision making.

Most people are down to earth and there is not a huge amount of politics at the plant level. It becomes a little more complicated corporately.

I would recommend evaluating each location on it's own merits, because plants have a good amount of autonomy.
Pros
Stability, 401k with match
Cons
Health benefits are pretty horrific

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Quikrete Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8