The Resource Center

The Resource Center United States Employee Reviews

Former RN at TRC
RN (Former Employee), 200 Dunham Ave Jamestown NYJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, caring staff
Cons: heavy caseloads
I worked at TRC for many years and enjoyed my time there. The clients I worked with were very special to me and they become a part of your family as does the staff that works there.
I learned to work as a team for the benefit of the clients. I learned about delegating duties and meeting deadlines and being able to explain to clients and staff the reasons we do the things we do.
The hardest part of my job was finding enough time to work with the clients due to the many meetings that I was required to attend.
The most enjoyable part of my job was spending time with the clients and it is still a joy to see them in the community and visit with them.
If you have the heart and patience, this is your job!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: gaining trust with the residents
Cons: management, the union, pay
A typical day in a residential setting is preparing for meals for the individuals. Many of them did not consume food in their original state, it is to be grounded or pureed in order to be safely consumed. There are daily activities/goals that are to be met that include cooking, chores (laundry, dish washing), memory flash cards, Dynavox communication, walking, standing, speech. There was a lot of lifting of residents due to them unable to properly walk on their own so hoyer lifts or two person standing transfers were to be performed. Hygiene assistance was performed by staff from bathing to oral care. Residents also would go on outings in the community like shopping or dining out. Data entry was required to log daily progress and behaviors of individuals.
I have learned patience while working in this setting and a stronger appreciation for life. I worked with individuals with traumatic brain injuries. I learned that the residents' lives matter and you put them first. They do appreciate it more than people care to realize. Many of them may not have "a voice" to show how they care, but their reactions towards you speak volumes.
Management was doing the best they could on their part, but it was unstable in many levels from the welfare of the residents to the employees. There was unnecessary strife/feuds, poor communication and vindictive power trips. The union also displayed poor representation.
I loved what I did. I loved the people I assisted. I gave them my all and they were worth it. I enjoyed being an advocate for them.
Awesome clients, not so awesome leadership
Non-union (Former Employee), Jamestown,nyDecember 10, 2014
Pros: benefits. clients
Cons: everything else
Working with the clients is a life changing experience, however, management and beyond makes for a less than desirable work environment.
There are many things going on with in the agency that are "questionable"ethically. Leadership has no backbones...
Salary is less than desirable for education needed in many departments- raises if you are not direct support are non existent.
Benefits are good, however you do pay a decent amount for them- but you cant beat them.
This is the best experience as far as a job that i have had in all the fields of work.
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYDecember 6, 2014
Pros: getting up and going to work everyday knowing you will make a difference
Cons: some thing happening that shouldn't be or shouldn't have
Days at work were always awesome. It was great to know you were going to work to work with co workers that were there for the same reason as you to help individuals to help themselves become independent. You learn how to deal and handle people that have a disability and how they handle it themselves everyday. Management was strict about what was said and done around them which is understandable. The hardest part was if something happened to an individual during the shift. The most enjoyable part is knowing that you helping to make a difference in their lives everyday.
stayed busy
DSP- Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYOctober 14, 2014
Pros: great environment
Cons: the flexibilty of hours
worked 3rd shift in a split group home responsible for up to 10 consumers per 2 to every staff. cared and taught everyday lifestyle resources to consumers
never enough staff,
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYOctober 6, 2014
Cons: insurance
you get there do your job go home
a typical day at work
you would give showers
you would complete milestones
you would cook dinner
you would complete therap
you would read all of your therap
you would clean your teams rooms up
pick next days outfit out so morning shift don't have too do that.............
FALSE ADVERTISING
Supportive Living Specialist (Former Employee), 8th StreetOctober 3, 2014
Pros: none that i got to know of.
Cons: alot
I can't say that my work experience with TRC was pleasant. I never really got a chance to work. Because after being hired, then waiting 3 weeks for my orientation to begin they decided to retract their job offer. All because of my "disability"! Which I made them aware of the day they hired me. I was told that would be no problem. My disabilities would interfere with my job as it was explained to me. They also put out there on the documents you sign at hire that they WILL NOT hold your disability against you in any way!Please let us know so we can work with you..... That they are an EEOC with the Federal government, etc,. At the end when they called, they wouldn't even explain why or talk to me. Basically, I was hung upon by two of the higher ups in the Company, very professional.
Boss was very fair
Medical Billing Clerk (Former Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: free lunches
learned a great deal about customer service and Medicaid billing
short staffed
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (Current Employee), celoron, new yorkJuly 14, 2014
Pros: one on one time with residents.
Cons: shortstaffed employees not treated with respect.
this company is very short staffed. The consumers are great, just the long hours aren't good.
A decent way to get by, but you'll want something better elsewhere
File Clerk (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYJune 18, 2014
Pros: nice coworkers, good pay
Cons: dull work, difficult communication
My job wasn't bad, but I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent career choice. The managers and the coworkers were really nice and helped me out whenever I am stuck on a particular job. However, being assigned new jobs is often difficult since I had no access to email and I never received memos. The work does get really monotonous without any sort of higher education to help advance you into a better position. If you're wanting to get a minimum wage job that can get you by while in college, this isn't a bad choice. However, I would recommend you find work elsewhere if you want a full-time job and earn a means to live.
Best residents to care for
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYMay 1, 2014
Pros: otj training
Cons: pay rate was great
Helping with daily maintenance like showers and meals or appointments. Learned how to care for those who cant care for themselves. Great co workers great communicators. the hardest part was staying awake thru the night. The most enjoyable is seeing my residents smiling faces.
Another great place
Assist in the maintenance of behavior plans (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYApril 12, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: burnout
Great place to work except the high probability of staff burnout and fatigue
What I learned
Assembler (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYMarch 28, 2014
Pros: the job culture was such that management tailored the schedule to the persons needs.
Cons: there was no room for advancement.
I learned how to work with a population of persons whom have various challenges in life that the average person does not. This was very interesting and fun for me because I am the kind of person who loves people and wants to help as much as possible.
Productive and very interesting
DSP (Current Employee), Fluvanna NYJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: good coworkers
Cons: low paying, part time, bi-weekly pay
I learn new thing about my individuals every day. I do work with them help them shower eat and bathe.
Outstanding employer
Consultant (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYSeptember 14, 2013
The Resource Center provided me with a wonderful experience during my early career; employees at TRC are afforded ample opportunity to grow and progress as they learn new and challenging skills.
DSP review
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Jamestown, NYSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: helpful when you need to leave for kids
Cons: they treat you as if your expendable and they don't listen to your concerns
I enjoyed working with the mentally handicapped and seeing their faces light up. I also enjoyed to try and teach them new things. My typing skills have improved thanks to them. I lvoed my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is lifting. Managment i did not care for at all i felt they did not listen to my concerns.
Proud of being able to make a difference
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYAugust 22, 2013
Pros: very friendly place to work
Cons: can be rough watching what some of these people go through
The people that work with can be difficult at times, but they can be the best people to be around some times. Management was there for they're clients and employees. Co-workers are very helpful and understanding. The hardest part of the job is seeing what some of the clients had to go through. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you were able to make a difference in someone's life.
great place to work
Bus Driver - Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYAugust 7, 2013
Pros: the people i worked with were great
great place, friendly staff and people to work with, great training programs
Rewarding job
Medical Aide (Current Employee), Jamestown, NYJuly 4, 2013
Rewarding career, but poor compensation for the hardwork we provide. Good job security and availability.
fun
Enviromentle services (Former Employee), Jamestown, NYJune 14, 2013
Pros: good pay good people
Cons: bad healthcare
it was unique u never knew what u would find there the boss he is down to earth a real nice man

The Resource Center Salaries