The Resource Center Employee Reviews

Replacable
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYOctober 19, 2017
This agency is not concerned with keeping good employees. The only way to advance is to bounce around to different departments. Most days homes are under staffed.
great place to work
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NY 14701October 11, 2017
this position was a good one for me, again I had left due to need more time with my small children. This company like any had many career advancing opportunities.
Love the individuals, hate the management
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYOctober 8, 2017
I love my job very very much. I love working with the guys learning something new about them everyday. It's a great place to work. The only problem that I have had is with the recent change in management. The new manager of the house that I work in is very inexperienced which causes friction and tension in the house. Without order their is chaos.
Pros
Family style work.
Cons
Weak pay for hard work
wonderful place to work but very stressful and short staffed
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYSeptember 9, 2017
Working at TRC has been a very rewarding leaning experience in many different areas for being a new nurse, but as far as staffing it is very stressful working short staffed and working as a DSP and a LPN to help cover the needs of the residents.
Pros
To see the smiles on my residents face and the difference that I make in their lives
Cons
Short staffed, low wages for the amount of work expected, Working 2nd shift and part of 3rd
A decent place to work,but very hard to advance even after working for the company for several years.
Behavioral Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYAugust 17, 2017
I enjoyed my job with the company quite well! The house I worked in was wonderful.However it really is hard to advance within the company. Also the paid time off is very small.
Pros
Life Insurance and 401K
Cons
Low PTO, high health insurance
Fulfilling work.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Jamestown nyAugust 14, 2017
The work itself is very fulfilling. Taking care of the individuals is the only upside to working at TRC. The problem is home management and higher management.
can be fun
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYAugust 12, 2017
depending on what house or department you are working at. you could have a fun relaxed job or a very stressful job. some of the houses play favorites while other judge you based on your work ethic
Pros
can be rewarding
Cons
lowest pay for this type of job
great place to work
LPN (Former Employee) –  Celoron, NYAugust 8, 2017
Very great team that I worked with. I learned so much about nursing while working there. Enjoyed my coworkers. At times it was a bit stressful but everyone seemed to pull together when it got tough
Pros
benefits, Pto
Cons
short staffed
Productive and Fulfilling
Supported Living Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJuly 28, 2017
Assisting client's with everyday tasks and goals.
Patience is the key with working with the client's.
Management was very accessible.
Helping client's be productive and to achieve their goals was very fulfilling.
Pros
mileage reimbusement
Cons
Not consistant with hours
Depends on where you work
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJuly 27, 2017
In direct support, the full-timers are paid only slightly more than minimum wage. Even though the state has allocated funding to pay DSPs more, the agency has told us they do not have the funding to pay us a living wage. Instead they send us applications to HEAP and Toys for Tots every year. We make only a bit more than fast food workers, but if we screw up it's not like forgetting someone's fries, people could die.
Some of the houses are better to work at than others. There is a wide range of management expectations. Some are incredibly strict and micromanage every tiny thing, some seem to not care at all and allow their DSPs to use foul language and act like fools. This is a positions that expects professionals for burger flipper wages. They are stuck in a 1980s business model and we are losing veteran staff constantly. They claim there is opportunity for advancement... but this is not really true.
There is a current union negotiation in the works... it is very likely we will lose money again as our union is weak and incapable.
The best part of this job is the actual support we provide the individuals we work with. They are the reason we stay. We do the exact same work as a state employee in a group home, for much much less pay. This is the lowest paid DSP position of any of the agencies in the area.
Pros
Food included
Cons
Pay is insulting

Want to know more about The Resource Center?

Ask a question
good people company sucks
Assistant Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 26, 2017
Had Company head quarters in Jamestown NY with no or little communication.management in Buffalo good work home ratio.Coworkers were great. indeed asks too much!
Environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYJuly 14, 2017
I loved the work environment and the people that I worked with! Working within this company allowed me the ability to expand my knowledge in the work field.
A very fun work environment
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYMay 28, 2017
I loved this job, between staff and the clients you had, and getting to know them was wonderful. Teaching people with disabilities something new that they never knew before is very rewarding and fun.
Pros
Always got to have fun with clients
Cons
People just have bad days and you never know what the next day was going to bring.
Trc
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  CeleronApril 4, 2017
I enjoyed working with the individuals that lived within the home I worked in. The staff was mostly friendly but there was a lot of politics and if you weren't friends with the Manager you didn't get the extra hours.
No Room For Growth
Medical Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYMarch 22, 2017
I have worked for TRC for a year and a half. My supervisor was the best supervisor I have ever had. She went to bat for me to be her assistant and many people recommended me for the assistant position. However, the company was not willing to pay for the position. After putting in so much effort they offered me a promotion in position but a demotion in pay. They wanted me to take the position but make almost a dollar LESS.
Pros
Relationship built with the Individuals.
Cons
NO room for growth
Consumers become family
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYMarch 17, 2017
In my 5 years of working for TRC, I made great friends with other staff members, and my consumers became family. This job is very rewarding in knowing that you are making a difference in the lives of the consumers you work with. As long as you have a good team of coworkers, it's great. Every now and then, you'll get a lazy person, or someone who isn't there for the right reasons. But over all, the staff that I worked with truly were there to make a difference. Advancement in position/salary were non existent for me. After 5 years I was still making less than $9 an hour, and that was with a shift differential (this was also between 2006 and 2011).
Not bad
DIRECT SUPPORT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJanuary 8, 2017
A good place to start a direct support career but the pay kinda sucks. The people are great though and the work is fun. Co workers became great friends and the management is nice.
Benefits of being a supervisor
Medical Aide (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJanuary 2, 2017
During my time as an assistant manager, I truly enjoyed assisting the day to day operations of the group home. I was very close to the staff and individuals that lived in the home. I had many responsibilites that were managing money, ensuring staff did what was expected of them, ensuring the home was run in orderly fashion.
Pros
I loved working with the individuals
Cons
The hours at the time did not work with my personal life
Excellent population to work with, lousy company
Clinican (Current Employee) –  Jamestown, NYDecember 21, 2016
Working with people with developmental disabilities is a very rewarding career. Working at TRC, not so much. The work culture is very dysfunctional. Managers are constantly putting out fires and do not give people the tools they need to get the job done.
Pros
Working with the clients, flexible schedule
Cons
Poor pay and benefits, poor management.
Fun and productive
Machine Operator/Packer (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYDecember 21, 2016
Easy place to work able to learn many different things while u get to high light your skills while growing from it.helping others adjust whie assisting on production line.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Major Layoffs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Resource Center. Our community is ready to answer.

The Resource Center Reviews by Location