The Retail Outsource Employee Reviews in United States

Inconsistent/poor training and work environment leads to difficult and frustrating job experience
Mobile Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  White House, TNMay 24, 2016
BE WARNED

This is cold sales. If you are not someone who is passionate about selling phones or who is not a good salesman, run in the opposite direction.

You will be in a Wal-Mart by yourself (or with one other person) soliciting customers to come get upgrades for their cell phone service. The work environment depends entirely on the Wal-Mart you are in, and it is your job to ensure that you are properly trained.

At least in my area, the training has been non-existent, especially for someone who has not done cold sales before. THIS IS NOT A RETAIL SALES POSITION. You are a sales consultant representing any number of post-paid cell phone services selling phones to people in a Wal-Mart whether or not they want them.
Pros
A lot of exercise. free lunches for high sales performance
Cons
Lack of training, lack of supervision, inconsistent work environment
Don't Waste Your Time
Management (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 7, 2014
If you have a brain don't work here. Take your talents elsewhere. The work day is not the problem. The demands that they have on you don't make any sense and its the dumbest management I have seen in my 12 years of management. Co-workers are cool but management lie, tells you one thing and do another thing to cover their you know what, leaves you hanging with issues for you to take the blame.

Pay is shady and benefits are so expensive. It's cheaper to buy your own health insurance.

Don't think that your position is safe no matter what they tell you. They will do what ever the client tells them to do to make the devil happy.

If you do work for this company, use it as a stepping stone to something greater. Believe me you deserve better than ANYTHING this company has to offer.
Pros
depends on program, the pay can be good
Cons
management is uneducated and no job security what so ever.
waste of time
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 10, 2016
Pay good...hours went from 40 to 10 a week. Lol Not a good company to work for. Horrible communication with higher ups. Probably the worst job I've had.
Pros
Opening for better employment
Cons
no hours no help
Selfish and Unprofessional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  South DallasAugust 5, 2013
I'll start by saying this was my first sales position and I have learned quite a lot about cellular sales, but that will be the only good thing I have to say.

Management is my biggest con about this company, they have unrealistic quotas for sales that you will be written up for if you don't hit. There is no commision unless you hit the quota and even if you manage to do that, the commission is very low. There is literally no support from management for anything, you hardly will ever see them at best once a week. And finally the benefits are a joke, and upon leaving you will lose all commision from the previous month and will not be paid for any unused paid leave time.

My second biggest con is the awful work hours, and being forced to work off the clock. Full timers work 5 days a week including every weekend no exceptions, 12-9 leaving no time for outside life, and good luck getting approved for a day off. And finally, being forced to go to meetings, hours from where you live, off the clock with no compensation was one of the final straws for me.
Pros
working independently
Cons
almost no commision, unprofessional management, no advancement opportunities
Unprofessional
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 31, 2012
My experience with management was non-existing to say the least. the company misrepresent the job description and salary. you are not paid for phone sales in a timely manner, and your commisions are never accurate
Pros
no pros
Cons
no heathcare benefits only a discount heath plan
1 in five employees dropped out before training even completed
Kansas Market Manager (Former Employee) –  KansasJuly 31, 2015
This is an incredibly shady organization doing many morally ambiguous activities. Many lies were shared that became obvious as not true in the first month. I regret having ever accepted working for them.
Retail Outsource is a great employer
Territory Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York Metro and Long IslandAugust 7, 2015
I have worked for the company twice. I gave them my all, and they expressed their appreciation for jobs well done every time. They value motivated people and they are always looking for ways to motivate their people.
Adults Need Not Apply
Wireless Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 6, 2014
I was hired as an entry-level salesman and was quickly promoted to Manager of my own location. My succession to the manager role was a bit surprising seeing as I was only with the company a short time. Luckily for them I had previous leadership/management experience and I took advantage of the opportunity.

That being said I think this may have been a common practice in hiring management, most of which were good salesman but poor leaders. This is also probably due to their fast turnover rate. It was very common to meet new people, as well as say goodbye to others every month.

Pointless conference calls every other day seemed to help keep the higher-ups sated but it never really helped anyone at the store level ( micro-managing.)

A typical day would include preparing the wireless center by making sure all of the merchandise was neat and presentable and then nothing. The store in which I worked in had very low traffic which made getting wireless sales very hard. Had to think outside the box and started advertising on craigslist, ebay classifieds and facebook. I also created flyers and placed them on parked cars in the parking lot as well as handed them out to customers in and out of the store. I really hustled to try and get the word out. I'd say that 95% of the customers I interacted with had NO idea that the store had a wireless department. A testament to the awful advertisement/marketing efforts of the company and the client. My proposals for an aggressive online and print ad campaign fell on deaf ears.

Earned a decent base salary plus commission but work/life balance was
  more... non-existent. Worked a minimum of 50 hours a week and got the stink eye if I even mentioned working anything less.

The first District Manager (also the man who hired me) was a very nice guy. He took every employee under his wing and taught them sales techniques and helped them develop their own style. He was very hands-on and personable. Soon after promoting me to manager he himself was promoted to work and develop another client. His successor was an absolute idiot. He basically just showed up, asked how everything was and then left. His only contribution was to let me and my team know that we needed to sell. I'll write that again, sell. That's it. He was a waste of space, time and money (and probably still is.)

There were a few pros. Working with and developing my own team was definitely one of them. Imparting your knowledge, successes and failures to younger team members was a very satisfying and enriching experience. Also, being employed by TRO meant that one had a sense of autonomy when working in a big box retail store that was not your direct employer. These retailers have their own policies and procedures that can be very counter-productive, so being able to completely ignore them and do your own thing was very satisfying.

Overall I'd say this is a great job for young people in college. Even then, get your money, gain experience and then get out. Even if promoted to management I'd recommend not to stay there for more than 2 years. This company doesn't care about its employees. They want to make their money as quickly and as cheaply as possible and will exploit you to accomplish this. Anyone older than 25 should completely avoid this company.
Pros
you will gain a lot of sales and management experience.
Cons
you are nothing but a number to the company
Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 26, 2014
Learn a lot from this company. Management never gets with you. Your opinion is ignored and they always goes with whatever is easier for them. They will lower reps commission structure and assign ridiculous high quotas. A very racist company with no regards for employee well being. Lots of traveling with a low car allowance. 90% travel 10% administrative. They want something from you 28hours a day. No one ever is to blame but yourself even when have nothing to do with you. If you want no life with tons of stress and a less than 3k a month then this is the place for you.
Horrible job security
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJuly 6, 2012
When I was Hired for the company,I was very excited about it. But once I was there for a while, I noticed that it wasn't really a team effort. Everyone was in it for themselves. The district manager was not at all supportive in directing his employees. He had a sink or swim attitude. My Co-workers were very nice and we got along great. Unfortunately we were laid-off without a lot of notice. We were given a week to find a new job pretty much.
Pros
nice commision
Cons
management style
Wireless Sales in Wal-Mart
Wireless Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Garland TexasJanuary 13, 2014
For the most part I loved my job. The best part was the extensive and on going training. I received training from Att, T-Mobile, Sprint, Samsung, and HTC. The hardest part of my job was stopping walmart customers and convincing them a 2 year service agreement was BEST for their wireless needs. The most enjoyable part were the contests. I won a contest for most Samsung phones sold in my district. My boss was a great guy who treated us fair and equally and he would make it a point to do anything to help us succeed.
Pros
getting a chance to win phones
Cons
not being allowed to help walmart customers with anything but wireless
Bad Experience
Territory Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 14, 2014
Developed store into the top performer in my market, while gaining valuable leadership, managerial and recruitment skills. Responsible for over 20 employees; included scheduling, career development and sales goals.
A stepping stone
Account Executive, Apple Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville. VAApril 24, 2014
I won't bash the company but I will say don't plan on staying very long. If you make a mistake that you didn't realize at the time you were making they will fire you. No remorse nothing you are just cut!

I did learn valuable things from them but I wouldn't want to work for this company again.
Pros
meet lots of great people
Cons
long work days, no gas reimbursement, insane quota
good
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston txJune 11, 2014
this company was awesome got to chill at home all day...
you know got free hours
some black guy got us fired because he was doing fraud so that went down hill so yeah now im jobless
WIRELESS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  AtlantaJuly 11, 2014
A typical day was just a typical day. You learn how to solve problems quickly and think fast. Everyone including management worked together.
good
Costumer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 15, 2015
very good place to work they were very nice i loved working there and they did there best to make u understand everything
Small marketing company that is contract client driven
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Yaphank, NYJune 28, 2014
field management throughout the US representing our clients best interests
Great Potential company... Terrible job security
Manager of Strategic Alliances (Former Employee) –  USApril 16, 2012
Company is subject to sudden changes in their contracts.
Poor staffing company due to this.
Pros
management structure
Cons
no staying power
Short Assignment
Senior Wireless Associate (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLJanuary 1, 2015
Job was located me in a very nice location but the assignment was not long enough.
Great learning experience
Area Sales Training Manager (Former Employee) –  FLMay 17, 2013
This opportunity gave me the chance to travel and meet many different types of people. It also allowed to really hone my technical sales ability by teaching it to others. I was able to practice frequently speaking and teaching in front of groups of people, which helped my communication overall and my public speaking.