The Retirement Group

The Retirement Group Employee Reviews in United States

Great company ethical honest
Appoitment setter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 30, 2015
I loved working at this company I also learned alot. The owner and management work hand and to provide a fun secure atmosphere for their employees. We were treated all equal and were always involved in what was going on with the company. I would recommend my family and friends to work here.
Pros
Great atmosphere, fun co workers, company events
Great Intern Experience
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
Over all I had an amazing experience with this company. I interned here for almost a year. All of my coworkers were very supportive and encouraged my growth. I was able to learn from many of the senior brokers and picked up very useful skills. My boss always made sure that he listened to what I had to say and helped my find what area of finance I enjoy the most. The Retirement group was always very flexible with my school schedule. They understood that I wanted to learn everything I could and always gave me amazing opportunities. I was able to meet great people through this job and would not change anything about my experience.
Pros
Free Lunch, Growth Opportunites
Operations
Operations (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2015
Low pay, no benefits. Little to no room for advancement. Pay increases are in increment of $.25 cents. Yes a quarter and not 25%.
Pros
Catered lunch occasionaly
Cons
Low pay
Current Employee
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Milford, NJNovember 13, 2012
I was given a lot of guidance as well as the ability to work independently. I had to put in a lot of hours, it's not the basic 9-5 job. To stick out you need to be there early in the morning and leave hours after you'd expect.
You have to make sure to go in there prepared to work from the moment you are hired. Make sure you do your research you do not want to get lost in the hustle and bustle or you will fall behind.
This job involves cold-calling, sending out pamphlets and flyers to prospective clients, and orchestrating seminars.

You're doing all that and more and if you want to succeed you have to stick out amongst your peers
Pros
good experience, skilled management team, working with people to manage their assets
Cons
not much work/life balance
Requires high productivity and can be overwhelming at times
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2013
When I first started working I was straight out of college, with no experience. I would sometimes struggle with my work load. When I got a hang of things I found myself excelling. The only complaint was that there was a lot of work, they have high expectations so I wasn't able to just get away with the bare minimum.
Most enjoyable part of my day was interacting with the management when I was assigned tasks because I really got to develop my critical thinking that in turn would help build my confidence.
Pros
great experience, well guided
Cons
loads of work, work, and more work.
Learned a lot from this company. It was a great experience and
Former Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2012
I really did enjoy my time during my internship with The Retirement Group.
I was still in college at the time so I didn't really have much experience in the financial industry so everything was very new to me and it was difficult adjusting, but this company took my knowledge and expanded it by allowing a practical setting.
I was very grateful for the experience and the challenges that I faced because it ultimately gave me the tools that I needed to succeed. I definitely honed my analytical skills and improved my organization during my time there.
The work environment was a very friendly and helpful one, the management team was considerate and supportive. The hardest part of the job was dealing with how fast-paced everything was. Their standards for their employees are very high so you constantly have to improve and seek improvement to succeed.
Pros
flexible with school schedule, great hands-on experience, good management team
Cons
really fast-paced, can be high-stress/high-pressure at times
Financial planning internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2013
I worked a short internship with The Retirement Group earlier this year. It s was a worthwhile experience in terms of the learning environment. I worked closely with one of the retirement advisors, Tyson Mavar, and was able to get some good insights into the industry as well as knowledge on retirement strategies.
Pros
gym access, occasional food catering, learning environment
Cons
long hours, not downtown
Weak
Financial Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 12, 2014
a typical day at work - uneventful
what you learned - nothing
management - uninspiring
your co-workers - uninspiring
the hardest part of the job - going in
the most enjoyable part of the job - leaving
Easy to build great rapport with higher-ups, open for suggestions, long hours, no social life
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 3, 2013
A typical day of work generally includes the basics of quickly coming up with critical solutions to please the client as well as brainstorming with associates on how to better the business with day-to-day issues.
If you are driven and have a high work-ethic this is the place for you.
If you think you are wanting to get away with the bare minimum, look elsewhere.
That being said, the job includes having excellent communication skills and the ability to be analytical when there are many issues and concerns that arise. It's high-pressure, and sometimes you have to deal with unhappy people in all fronts.
Pros
healthcare, gym access
Cons
short breaks, intense work environment
The Retirement Group
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Deigo,CA 92121December 13, 2012
The Retirement Group’s seminars are educative and extremely informative. I went to their seminar last month after much persuasion by my wife. She’s the one more worried about my retirement than me. So, to help both of us be better equipped to handle savings, income planning and investments for our future, we went to the seminar. I have to confess that it was very impressive. The kind of information they provided was beyond expectations. I’m glad I went to the seminar. But, I shouldn’t have stayed on for lunch. They served us cold and bland food.
Solid Recommendation
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2013
I really enjoyed working at the retirement group although they pushed me hard I was able to obtain a solid letter of recommendation which really helped me get a job out in New York.
Internship
Portfolio Management Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 18, 2013
The internship is a great way to get your foot in the door for the financial industry.

The Retirement Group Reviews by Location