The Retirement Group

The Retirement Group Employee Reviews

Fast Paced Environment
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee), San DiegoAugust 26, 2014
Pros: gym membership
Cons: parking, the lot is really crowded!
The employees are friendly but it's really fast paced. The day just doesn't stop and we're working towards a goal daily so expectations are high.

I just wish it wasn't so hot in the office! We do get free lunch on Thursday however so that's a bonus!
Weak
Financial Analyst Intern (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 12, 2014
a typical day at work - uneventful
what you learned - nothing
management - uninspiring
your co-workers - uninspiring
the hardest part of the job - going in
the most enjoyable part of the job - leaving
Internship
Portfolio Management Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 18, 2013
The internship is a great way to get your foot in the door for the financial industry.
Financial planning internship
Internship (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2013
Pros: gym access, occasional food catering, learning environment
Cons: long hours, not downtown
I worked a short internship with The Retirement Group earlier this year. It s was a worthwhile experience in terms of the learning environment. I worked closely with one of the retirement advisors, Tyson Mavar, and was able to get some good insights into the industry as well as knowledge on retirement strategies.
Solid Recommendation
Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2013
I really enjoyed working at the retirement group although they pushed me hard I was able to obtain a solid letter of recommendation which really helped me get a job out in New York.
Easy to build great rapport with higher-ups, open for suggestions, long hours, no social life
Analyst (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: healthcare, gym access
Cons: short breaks, intense work environment
A typical day of work generally includes the basics of quickly coming up with critical solutions to please the client as well as brainstorming with associates on how to better the business with day-to-day issues.
If you are driven and have a high work-ethic this is the place for you.
If you think you are wanting to get away with the bare minimum, look elsewhere.
That being said, the job includes having excellent communication skills and the ability to be analytical when there are many issues and concerns that arise. It's high-pressure, and sometimes you have to deal with unhappy people in all fronts.
Requires high productivity and can be overwhelming at times
Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: great experience, well guided
Cons: loads of work, work, and more work.
When I first started working I was straight out of college, with no experience. I would sometimes struggle with my work load. When I got a hang of things I found myself excelling. The only complaint was that there was a lot of work, they have high expectations so I wasn't able to just get away with the bare minimum.
Most enjoyable part of my day was interacting with the management when I was assigned tasks because I really got to develop my critical thinking that in turn would help build my confidence.
The Retirement Group
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), San Deigo,CA 92121December 13, 2012
The Retirement Group’s seminars are educative and extremely informative. I went to their seminar last month after much persuasion by my wife. She’s the one more worried about my retirement than me. So, to help both of us be better equipped to handle savings, income planning and investments for our future, we went to the seminar. I have to confess that it was very impressive. The kind of information they provided was beyond expectations. I’m glad I went to the seminar. But, I shouldn’t have stayed on for lunch. They served us cold and bland food.
Current Employee
Financial Advisor (Current Employee), Milford, NJNovember 13, 2012
Pros: good experience, skilled management team, working with people to manage their assets
Cons: not much work/life balance
I was given a lot of guidance as well as the ability to work independently. I had to put in a lot of hours, it's not the basic 9-5 job. To stick out you need to be there early in the morning and leave hours after you'd expect.
You have to make sure to go in there prepared to work from the moment you are hired. Make sure you do your research you do not want to get lost in the hustle and bustle or you will fall behind.
This job involves cold-calling, sending out pamphlets and flyers to prospective clients, and orchestrating seminars.

You're doing all that and more and if you want to succeed you have to stick out amongst your peers
Learned a lot from this company. It was a great experience and
Former Financial Analyst Intern (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 6, 2012
Pros: flexible with school schedule, great hands-on experience, good management team
Cons: really fast-paced, can be high-stress/high-pressure at times
I really did enjoy my time during my internship with The Retirement Group.
I was still in college at the time so I didn't really have much experience in the financial industry so everything was very new to me and it was difficult adjusting, but this company took my knowledge and expanded it by allowing a practical setting.
I was very grateful for the experience and the challenges that I faced because it ultimately gave me the tools that I needed to succeed. I definitely honed my analytical skills and improved my organization during my time there.
The work environment was a very friendly and helpful one, the management team was considerate and supportive. The hardest part of the job was dealing with how fast-paced everything was. Their standards for their employees are very high so you constantly have to improve and seek improvement to succeed.

About The Retirement Group

The Retirement Group educates employees who are transitioning or retiring from Fortune 500 companies. We are committed to providing – Read more

The Retirement Group Photos

SDSU Career Fair 2013
Meeting some of the top local students.
The Retirement Group booth at the Career Fair at San Diego State University April 2013.