The Ritz-Carlton

The Ritz-Carlton Employer Reviews

Extraordinary Place to work
Acting Spa Manager (Former Employee), San Juan, PRFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: free lunch, free training, fantastic co-workers
Cons: little room to grow as it was an island, but great company.
My directors were great. They have open door policy and always willing to teach you what they know. A lot of diversity. Great co-workers. The Ritz Carlton Company is a family. It was my home away from home.
Great place to worrk
Front Desk Representative / Assistant to Hotel GM (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: great friend family rate at all ritz carlton & marriott properties
Cons: low wages
Front Desk Representative / Assistant to Hotel GM
Provide administrative support for General Manager of Ritz-Carlton in successful 4 Star 5 Diamond Hotel.

Oversaw a wide variety of administrative functions, supporting projects and information processes compiled and analyzed data from monthly reports to prepare manager for opening sales day answering PBX meridian phone systems. I developed internal correspondence that facilitated effective communication and transfer of information between offices.

* Played key role in project management review of inter-office collaborating with managers to identify and define essential components of data entry audit sheets.

* Significantly reduced time required to prepare and distribute quarterly reports by converting to electronic reporting procedures.
The hourly rate of $10.50 is a little low, but the benefits of staying in Ritz-Carlton and Marriott Hotels for free made up for this.
Reservations Agent (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free hotel stays when available.
I was surprised at how much computer training was involved, but it was definitely needed and we were compensated for this time.

A typical day at work would be setting up at a cubicle, preferably by a window, signing on to the reservation system, and then begin receiving calls for hotel reservations.

I learned that this job wasn't just about making reservations, but was a job to book hotel rooms, in other words, we were in sales. For instance, if someone called in on a New York Ritz-Carlton line inquiring about room availability, there was sometimes a dead silence when quoting rates of $1,000.00/night and up. I became skilled in keeping the caller on the line by offering alternatives such as elegant Marriott Hotels in the same great location with rates that were much more economical, and to top it off, provided more services than the Ritz-Carlton they first inquired about.

Management was topnotch. I loved my co-workers too, some of whom who had been students where I worked as an administrator.

The hardest part of the job was worrying about passing the "Monitors" which occurred once/month. Sometimes I didn't pass due to not inquiring about flight information, wrapping up the reservation by not mentioning the city's name or perhaps not saying their name and repeating it one-letter-at-a-time. For example I might say Mr. Sagers, we (review reservation details such as arrival and departure dates), but not say we have you reserved as Howard Sagers, but NOT SAYING, "that's "S" as in Sam, "A" Apple, "G" George, "E" Echo, "R" Roger and "S" Sam." I didn't worry about the anonymous – more... "Monitors" due to my being 2nd or 3rd in sales, but that was an incorrect way of looking at it. Needless to say, I had the Monitor Protocol on my computer screen after not passing 2 monitors.

Talking to people from around the world was the most enjoyable aspect of the job; making them laugh, them making me laugh, ensuring that if they were having a special celebration that this information was given to the hotel, such as wedding anniversaries, birthdays, honeymoons etc. – less
Organized and fun work place
Banquet Houseman and Server (Current Employee), White Plains, NYFebruary 10, 2015
Typical day is, you come in and jump right into it. You get to know each client on the floor then you start your work making sure everything is going well
Enjoyable environment
Server (Former Employee), Laguna Niguel, CAFebruary 7, 2015
Pros: the view, the compensation, the clientele
Cons: last-minute schedules being posted
Working there had been one of the most exhilarating times of my working career. There was nothing quite like working in an environment with a special clientele and excellent management. Working in there outdoor environment the restaurant could go from completely empty, to filled and exciting with an eclectic assortment of people in ten minutes flat.

The management was responsive to issues that arose and were willing to help out at a moment's notice.

The co-workers were hard-working and professional, and were just an all-around great group of people to be working with, always a plus with people that I would often be spending 40+ hours with.

The view was second to none, as it was overlooking the ocean, and the clientele was always exciting and different.
great co workers
club lounge attendant (Former Employee), rancho mirage CAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: ???
Cons: lack of integrity
Management is terrible. HR was the worst I've ever seen. There was a big problem with the supervisor in my department including herself in our tip pool. That's against CA labor code 351. I'm still waiting for the money taken from me to me reimbursed because HR said they would pay it back. This is NOT what I signed up for. Also they are unwilling to budge even a little on the schedules. I worked the evening for 3 months straight. I asked over and over for some morning shifts. They said no,so I quit.
Great culture and place to work
Group Housing and Billing Coordinator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: need to clock in and out every 5 hours
Work with different departments at the Ritz-Carlton/JW Marriott
Co-workers are great
Always something going on since the building is in the heart of LA Live
Amazing culture, but horrible manament
Spa Concierge (Former Employee), Half Moon Bay, CAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: disocunts, employee dinning room, pay
Cons: hours, managment
Selected to attend a globally recognized hospitality training program which calibrated my level of product familiarity, SOP/Point of Sale guidelines, culture fit and five star/diamond service values. Consistently transcended forecast-ed sales margins of my peers while assisting guest with reservations, corporate retreats and events.
This was my first experience in Hospitality so I was consistently learning about a higher form of customer service that really enlivened my thirst for knowledge. I loved it!
Management thou was completely unprofessional (working after a long night partying, making up facts to get by with customers) and would never finish a full shift unless the GM made note of any discrepancies.
Co-workers were nice to a point, but everyone was always very stressed about information gathering due to managements consistent failings in communications.
The hardest part was picking up slack for my director as to avoid future customer issues and the unrealistic hours they expected me to be available. One time I was called into work at four in the morning to open up the gym for a guest.
I loved the atmosphere thou and the higher management were people you look up to.
Excellent place to work!
Hostess (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 26, 2015
Excellent place to work, a very friendly atmosphere. Everyone has a very positive attitude and everybody help you to complete and do an excellent job
I Left to focus in High School
Server assistant, bartender assistant, hostess (Former Employee), St.Thomas VIJanuary 23, 2015
I started working there for a summer internship program. They much of saw something great in me, that they offered me a part time job. I had some of the best employees I have ever worked with. I was only 16 at the time and they all made me feel like family. I was a hostess and much more because I love learning. I was starting to worry about my grades especially because my last two years of high school was very important. I left on a great note and would go back in a heart beat once offered a job there again.
Strict workplace with few options for advancement
Banquet Server (Former Employee), Amelia Island, FLJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: no job security, no work/life balence
I have worked in the Banquet department for 10 years the pay is often excellent but the hours they want you to be available are horrible. There is no room for advancement and the corporate culture is the worst of it. If you are not an executive you are treated like dirt. This company will fire employees for looking at the wrong guest, there is absolutely no job security.
Not sure why
Cook (Former Employee), Dana Point, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Cons: human resource department, discrimination
Working for this company may be something I wanted to continue to strive for but after many efforts to stay within this company. The Ritz Carlton has made me dissatisfied. I will not recommend anyone to pursue a career with this company or property.
Terrible Management Training Program
Voyager (Current Employee), The United StatesJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: talking to famous people?
Cons: pretty much everything else
Before I started my Masters program in Hospitality and Tourism Management, I set the lofty goal of joining the Ritz-Carlton via their management training program (Voyage) after graduating.

After completing my degree, I went through the lengthy hiring process and was offered a position in the field of my choice.

Despite two other offers which paid better and came coupled with a more attractive benefits package, I signed on with The Ritz-Carlton at a flagship property based off of the reputation for excellence that their Voyage program for Management Trainees carries.

I currently rank this decision as the worst I have ever made in my entire life.

The management training program for me boiled down to little more than a way for the company to find cheap, highly promising labor. They are looking for managers who will act as robots, signing their life away into supporting a lie for corporate profits.

My quality of life, since starting work with The Ritz-Carlton, has gone down hill significantly.

I'm sure the program was originally put together with the best of intentions. My experience with the company revealed that the way individual hotel properties use some (or all?) of these management trainees is very different from how they are presented when I was a prospect of the program.

Busy work. Terrible training. Brand standards are not enforced. Brand is not what it used to be. Low and mid level management is paid poorly and it shows. Within one hour of being on the job, several managers approached me and told me I had made a mistake. One told me he would, "do everything he could – more... to protect me and my career". Management is like a revolving door and employees of the property constantly laugh about it.

That being said, I was well received and liked by most, if not all, employees.

There were two other management trainees at my property when I started. Both hated it and one has since quit. I will be leaving the company as soon as I finish the program.

The thing that makes my blood boil the most about the company is that one of my main responsibilities is to make up stats in order to propagate the many lies that currently keep the company (or at least the property at which I worked) successful.

New upper level management at any company means that new programs and policies are put into place to increase company output, performance, etc. It takes a long time for a company to evaluate whether or not a particular manager is effective. One of my main job responsibilities at The Ritz-Carlton was to input completely made up stats in order to boost short term scores and make upper level management seem effective. If a new manager's program can be shown to be marginally more effective than an old program, then the new manager stands to receive compensation and likely move up the career ladder. The bulk of my responsibilities outside of busy work was to fake these stats. Although I hated it, faking these stats was the only part of my job that took any skill or was remotely interesting. I feared that if I did not fake these stats, I would be disciplined one way or another.

I could keep going for hours or even days with details but since nobody will likely read this information, I'm going to stop here.

Worst company I've ever worked for. I can't believe I went back to graduate school for this. – less
great workplace
Fine Dining Line Cook (Former Employee), Laguna, CAJanuary 19, 2015
greatsest company to work for. great benefits and great pay and the workplace environment truly is fun and comforting.
Very fun to work at and great environment
Hostess (Former Employee), Kapalua, HIJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great cafeteria food
I learned a lot on hospitality, friendship and professionalism at this place. Great benefits
Fun Place to work
Room Service Server (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 14, 2015
Ritz Carloton is one of the most elegant hotels in the world. Working for this hotel was the very pleasuress. Could possibly say that I had a blast while workin at the Ritz. Management was fun, compensation was very attractive, and the staff were very lovable. simply, I miss working at Ritz.
Meh
In-room Dining Server (Former Employee), Dana Point, CAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: coworkers were great, money was decent when there was business, guests were pleasant most of the time.
Cons: poor management, inconsistent business flow, labor cutbacks that affect even senior full time employees, overworked and understaffed.
I can't speak for all the properties but at the one where I worked, my department was horribly managed. The upper management care more about saving a few dollars (by doing things like cutting labor) than providing the "finest personal service and facilities" to the guests. We were not provided with the necessary resources to do our job properly.
World Class Experience
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 10, 2015
The Ritz-Carlton is a company that is second to none. They provide world class customer service, and every employee is treated like the Lady and Gentlemen that they truly are.
OK
FINANCE (Former Employee), RITZJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: ok
good typical day at work
•what you learned - ok
•good management
•friendly co-workers
People -the most enjoyable part of the job
Volunteering work
Sports outings
no incentives
lack of growth opportunity
produ
Front desk Agent (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: hours
At this job a typical day would be helping customers out and providing them with the finest personal service. My co workers were very nice and always pitched in if needed

1 2 3 4 5

About The Ritz-Carlton

The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. is the parent company to the luxury hotel chain, The Ritz-Carlton Hotels. Ritz-Carlton – Read more