The Ritz-Carlton

The Ritz-Carlton Employee Reviews

Terrible Management Training Program
Voyager (Current Employee) –  The United StatesJanuary 20, 2015
Before I started my Masters program in Hospitality and Tourism Management, I set the lofty goal of joining the Ritz-Carlton via their management training program (Voyage) after graduating.

After completing my degree, I went through the lengthy hiring process and was offered a position in the field of my choice.

Despite two other offers which paid better and came coupled with a more attractive benefits package, I signed on with The Ritz-Carlton at a flagship property based off of the reputation for excellence that their Voyage program for Management Trainees carries.

I currently rank this decision as the worst I have ever made in my entire life.

The management training program for me boiled down to little more than a way for the company to find cheap, highly promising labor. They are looking for managers who will act as robots, signing their life away into supporting a lie for corporate profits.

My quality of life, since starting work with The Ritz-Carlton, has gone down hill significantly.

I'm sure the program was originally put together with the best of intentions. My experience with the company revealed that the way individual hotel properties use some (or all?) of these management trainees is very different from how they are presented when I was a prospect of the program.

Busy work. Terrible training. Brand standards are not enforced. Brand is not what it used to be. Low and mid level management is paid poorly and it shows. Within one hour of being on the job, several managers approached me and told me I had made a mistake. One told me he would, "do everything he could
  more... to protect me and my career". Management is like a revolving door and employees of the property constantly laugh about it.

That being said, I was well received and liked by most, if not all, employees.

There were two other management trainees at my property when I started. Both hated it and one has since quit. I will be leaving the company as soon as I finish the program.

The thing that makes my blood boil the most about the company is that one of my main responsibilities is to make up stats in order to propagate the many lies that currently keep the company (or at least the property at which I worked) successful.

New upper level management at any company means that new programs and policies are put into place to increase company output, performance, etc. It takes a long time for a company to evaluate whether or not a particular manager is effective. One of my main job responsibilities at The Ritz-Carlton was to input completely made up stats in order to boost short term scores and make upper level management seem effective. If a new manager's program can be shown to be marginally more effective than an old program, then the new manager stands to receive compensation and likely move up the career ladder. The bulk of my responsibilities outside of busy work was to fake these stats. Although I hated it, faking these stats was the only part of my job that took any skill or was remotely interesting. I feared that if I did not fake these stats, I would be disciplined one way or another.

I could keep going for hours or even days with details but since nobody will likely read this information, I'm going to stop here.

Worst company I've ever worked for. I can't believe I went back to graduate school for this.
Pros
talking to famous people?
Cons
pretty much everything else
The hourly rate of $10.50 is a little low, but the benefits of staying in Ritz-Carlton and Marriott Hotels for free made up for this.
Reservations Agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UtahFebruary 10, 2015
I was surprised at how much computer training was involved, but it was definitely needed and we were compensated for this time.

A typical day at work would be setting up at a cubicle, preferably by a window, signing on to the reservation system, and then begin receiving calls for hotel reservations.

I learned that this job wasn't just about making reservations, but was a job to book hotel rooms, in other words, we were in sales. For instance, if someone called in on a New York Ritz-Carlton line inquiring about room availability, there was sometimes a dead silence when quoting rates of $1,000.00/night and up. I became skilled in keeping the caller on the line by offering alternatives such as elegant Marriott Hotels in the same great location with rates that were much more economical, and to top it off, provided more services than the Ritz-Carlton they first inquired about.

Management was topnotch. I loved my co-workers too, some of whom who had been students where I worked as an administrator.

The hardest part of the job was worrying about passing the "Monitors" which occurred once/month. Sometimes I didn't pass due to not inquiring about flight information, wrapping up the reservation by not mentioning the city's name or perhaps not saying their name and repeating it one-letter-at-a-time. For example I might say Mr. Sagers, we (review reservation details such as arrival and departure dates), but not say we have you reserved as Howard Sagers, but NOT SAYING, "that's "S" as in Sam, "A" Apple, "G" George, "E" Echo, "R" Roger and "S" Sam." I didn't worry about the anonymous
  more... "Monitors" due to my being 2nd or 3rd in sales, but that was an incorrect way of looking at it. Needless to say, I had the Monitor Protocol on my computer screen after not passing 2 monitors.

Talking to people from around the world was the most enjoyable aspect of the job; making them laugh, them making me laugh, ensuring that if they were having a special celebration that this information was given to the hotel, such as wedding anniversaries, birthdays, honeymoons etc.
Pros
free hotel stays when available.
Moring and sometimes night host at raya
Hostess at Raya (Former Employee) –  dana pointMarch 11, 2015
a typical day at work is opening procedures such as obtaining guests preferences, cover counts, beo's for large parties, private dining room reservations and set up, memorizing vip guests. making sure all menus are counted and clean, distributing line ups, pre shift, creating floor plan. Next would be seating guests in a rotation in order for each server to be equally assigned the same amount of covers, answering phone calls, confirmation calls, communicating to concierge so the guests get exactly what they need for their day. I also made decisions on when to cut the floor based on guests arriving and the need for a certain amount of servers so that servers are not standing around but guests also get the best service possible. I learned how to communicate with the best speech, keeps vip's and famous guests experience as normal but exceptional service and atmosphere. Management was wonderful as they were hands on but trusted me to make decions based on guests needs and demands without having to always bring a manager into a situation. My co-workers were great, some being there for many many years teaching me every little secret there is to know so i can be successful. the hardest part of the job was organizing large parties as the restaurant is set up for smaller parties. the most enjoyable part of the job was the trust put into me by management, servers, and guests.
Pros
great health care, great food for employees, vacation pay, a solid amount of hours, raises
Cons
the only con i can think of was in the beginning, learning the strict rules and expectations, while in the end i exceeded expectations
Very fast paced work yet enjoyable as every day was different and you continually were learning to deal with different guest issues on a daily basis.
Valet / Doorman / Bellman (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, GAAugust 21, 2013
The Ritz Carlton taught me a ton on how to communicate with people in a professional manner and how to go over and above for every guest who stayed at the hotel. They were very organized and it was always known what was expected of you every day. They did not settle for anything less than perfection when dealing with each guest. Each day was different but I knew that i was responsible for the guests first and last impression of their stay at the hotel. This made you focus on always being very positive and upbeat so the guests knew you loved your job and loved serving them in any way possible. I learned how to be attentive to every guest and focus on meeting their every need before it was expressed. My co-workers were all positive in their day to day duties which made every day of work more enjoyable for me. The hardest part of my job is in the hotel industry they are open every day of the year including Christmas, New years and every other holiday of the year. This was tough because I was unable to enjoy those days with my family. The most enjoyable part of my job was when a guest personally told me that I had made their stay unforgettable (in a positive way) and they couldn't wait to come back again. That gave me a great deal of satisfaction in knowing I had done my job the right way. I take a lot of pride in knowing a played a small part in making their stay better then they could have ever imagined. Although the managment was a little micromanaged, they always let you know exactly what was expected from you day in and day out.
Pros
very positive workplace environment, hard work but very satisfying with great benefits.
Cons
working all holidays and losing time with my family on holidays.
Enthusiastic goal driven enviorment
Manager On Duty (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2014
Typical - As Manager on Duty I assist every department in making sure that they are not being bombarded with calls, incidents and deliveries. When they are I step in to help my teams as we are a small team on overnight and have to take responsibility of the entire hotel.

What I have learned - We are all needed to perform to our best ability. If one department is now working up to par we as a hotel have to come together and find out what is wrong. One person or department can give the guests a wrong final impression on how the hotel is ran.

Management - Upper management seems to be strickly by the book no matter what the circumstances are. Sometimes by the book isn't best as decisions have to be made sometimes by one thinking about the senario that took place and how it started and ended.

Co-workers - Best part of the company. No matter what happens or what we go through there are no grudges held and we can be friends/associates once the issue has been taken care of. enjoy working together no matter what race, creed, or ethnicity.

Hardest part - To have ideas ignored or for someone to say that it has been like this for the longest and there is no changing it (Even if negative).

Most Enjoyable - To be able to make a guest/customer smile based on how I took care of them or thought about them during troubled times by making a simple gesture as a phone call to follow-up with them after an incident. Just to be able to see or hear the guests excitement and joy when you have made their day when you actually took care of the issue first hand and not passed it on to anyone.
Pros
great team environment
Cons
short breaks due to overwhelming calls at times.
Used to be a great place to work....Not so much anymore
Temple Orange Restaurant (Former Employee) –  Manalapan, FLJuly 18, 2012
The first couple of years i worked there it was great. We actually felt good working there, good managers, great game plan, and it was lots of fun. The last couple of years alot of those good managers left the Manalapan Ritz Carlton to go to San Fransico , Washington D.C, and all over. So we were left with pis poor management. These pis poor managers, started trying to fire some of our better employees and did for the most part. I remember losing our best two
servers and our award winning bartender. I truly think this was done so that they had no threat of losing their jobs. (Lots of politics in this place, and you can't trust about 90% of the managers)So now this place is left with these managers making sure they hire below average employees and taking advantage of their current employees by working them sometimes as much as 18 hours a day because of their inability to properly create a weekly schedule. They have buss boys working as servers and food-runners bartending now with no clue or training and expected to just wing it. I recently left this place because its not the same good feeling we used to get working here. This place is going down hill and i want no part of it. YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! JUST ASK A HAND FULL OF CURRENT EMPLOYEES. If your planning on working at this place and searching for a true career, the best advice I have for you is keep looking for other jobs!
Pros
free luch
Cons
below average management
good work enviroment
Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 8, 2013
on a typical day of work there is always rooms to clean, make sure guests have everything they need inside the room like towels,water,or any amenity.i have learn to get along with different types of people differen character or different way of thinking, and learn the way co-workers do their job based on the fact they have work in differents hotels,with their different opinions, and also with the guest when we enter the room to service it i learned to notice better little details like if the gues like beggie food, or uses a lot of towels, drink a lot of water, or different things.with the fact that the hotel is new, i notice that my manager has overcome many problems sice the hotel is very big,it is very noticible the work and effort he has given,and the house keeping department is very big on personel wise.with co-workers we most likele have learned the teamwork since some guest departure late and we notice someone is behind we help her to finis with their rooms and when evere the laidy that has been helped comes back to help me finish the late departuring or with the neednig help. the hardest part of my job is when we have a lot of departures since the rooms in the ritz carlton demand perfection in the cleanliness beacuse there are a lot of details to do to the rooms.what i like the most is that they empower us to make a gust feel valuable to us and the company,for example if we know the gust is celebrating their anniversary,or birthday,we can send them a decarative cake, and a hand written note wishing them the best, or if we notice the guest is sick we can send them a soup.
Pros
its a well know hotel
Cons
insurance has little coverage
Amazing culture, but horrible manament
Spa Concierge (Former Employee) –  Half Moon Bay, CAJanuary 28, 2015
Selected to attend a globally recognized hospitality training program which calibrated my level of product familiarity, SOP/Point of Sale guidelines, culture fit and five star/diamond service values. Consistently transcended forecast-ed sales margins of my peers while assisting guest with reservations, corporate retreats and events.
This was my first experience in Hospitality so I was consistently learning about a higher form of customer service that really enlivened my thirst for knowledge. I loved it!
Management thou was completely unprofessional (working after a long night partying, making up facts to get by with customers) and would never finish a full shift unless the GM made note of any discrepancies.
Co-workers were nice to a point, but everyone was always very stressed about information gathering due to managements consistent failings in communications.
The hardest part was picking up slack for my director as to avoid future customer issues and the unrealistic hours they expected me to be available. One time I was called into work at four in the morning to open up the gym for a guest.
I loved the atmosphere thou and the higher management were people you look up to.
Pros
disocunts, employee dinning room, pay
Cons
hours, managment
What's it like to work at the Ritz Carlton
Bellman/Guest Services/Lateral Services Associate (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 26, 2013
An Exciting Place to Work where as you Meet Guest from all types of background ? , from the Rich and Famous , Movie Star's , Professional Athletes ,High Profiled Politicians and People of Great Intrest .The people I work with are always perfessional and curtious with a sesce of family pride . We always start our shift with what is called line-up ,where a dept. manager who is alway's helpful and quick to both our's and the hotel guest needs , will go over the hotel dayly list of who's in house , hotel occupance etc. to which you learn something about the hotel as well as preparing for certain guest intrest who may want somethig special done before or after their arrival / departure .One of the most enjoyable parts of the Job besides meeting and greeting new people as well as the many Star's ?, . . . . Is in klnowing and seeing the Smile on their faces and a satisfied look that they'll be returning mainly because of the Service they received .
Pros
meeting and coming in close contact with the many star's, professional atheletes etc. .
Cons
none that i could really think of or atleast have yet to incounter .
Once the gold standard, Ritz shows its feet of clay.
Banquet Captain (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 2, 2012
Once the gold standard of Total Quality Management, winner of the prestigious Malcolm Baldridge and JDPower & Assts awards and champion of true employee empowerment; the Ritz Carlton company has been diminished under Marriott control.

Founded by Zigi Brauer and Horst Schultze in 1983, Ritz was an experiment in hospitality, taking customer service and employee satisfaction to ever higher benchmarks during the 80's and 90's. Small ad hoc teams would form to solve any problem or bottleneck in the customer service mission. Employees were team members, treated with respect and valued for their contribution to the Ritz endeavor of making the "genuine care and comfort of their guests their highest mission."

Sadly, while the hotels still look the same, the culture has been sacrificed to plump Marriotts bottom line, their main claim to fame. They have struggled mightily to maintain the appearance that nothing has changed. But make no mistake: This is a Fiddler crab living inside a beautiful conch shell, an imposter. Avoid this sweatshop of a company.
Best Hotel In the World
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kapalua, HIJanuary 7, 2016
make reservations
send confirmations of reservations
Engage with guests about our programs
open and close center
care for the animals at the center
Send revenue reports each day to accounting
Work with concierge staff in hotel
Send pictures to guests from adventures
Coordinate transportation for guests for activities
Provide customer service by greeting and assisting customers, and responding to customer
inquiries and complaints.
Send emails to hotel for record keeping
Direct and supervise employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash
receipts, or in performing services for customers.
Monitor sales activities to ensure that customers receive satisfactory service and quality
goods.
Inventory stock and reorder when inventory drops to a specified level.
Instruct staff on how to handle difficult and complicated sales.
Enforce safety, health, and security rules.
Examine merchandise to ensure that it is correctly priced and displayed and that it functions
as advertised.
Perform work activities of subordinates, such as cleaning and organizing shelves and
displays and selling merchandise.
Assign employees to specific duties.
Plan budgets and authorize payments and merchandise returns.
Plan and prepare work schedules and keep records of employees' work schedules and time
cards.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short break
Awesome Place to Work
Dry-Clean Press Attendant (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLSeptember 28, 2015
Management is extremely supportive. They embody The Ritz-Carlton's values. The company encourages you to learn and grow, but it is difficult to advance because everyone is trying to. It's a company full of "Go, Get'ers." Trying to stand out among the best of the best in the industry is both discouraging and rewarding.

My co-workers are great. Although I think things would be better if I spoke more than just English. There are very few people in the laundry department who's first language was English. This makes it difficult to communicate due to the language barriers. Those barriers are the hardest part of my job.

The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting and taking care of the guests. The Ritz-Carlton gives you many ways and excepts your ideas on how to take care of our guests. I love going for wow's with guests. Doing something for a guest that makes them want to return again and again is awesome.
Pros
Free Lunch, Multiple Yearly Employee Events
Cons
Health Care too expensive for my pay grade, hard to advance.
A lot a drama and nobody cares
Turndown Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 31, 2015
When I worked there as a turn-down assistant, a lot of people were interested in creating drama. If you weren't with the "it" crowed, you were alone. Management was the same and didn't do anything to fix the problem. I was 18 and in high school, but my job was WORSE than high school. I'm talking about 28-50 year old women being mean to one another and talking behind their backs. Turn-down was given 50 rooms at least every other night and you weren't aloud to help anybody else unless your rooms were done. AM housekeeping was even worse. The would leave privacy's on the doors so they didn't have to clean them but you would. Everybody was always on their phones and nobody ever cared what you had to say. I would NOT recommend this job unless you don't care about drama and want to be working with a bunch of jerks!
Pros
Discounts on hotel rooms, decent pay
Cons
drama, rude coworkers, rude management, nobody listens to your problems, to much work for one person
Productive and never boring always something new to learn!
Server/ Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 6, 2015
Working here was wonderful in the sense that there was so much opportunity to advance, make money, and better yourself. Healthcare was wonderful and the staff I worked with as peers were amazing. However, quite often there just simply wasn't enough recognition early enough in one's career. I worked here for four years. I trained in every possible position to gain access to higher positions I was told I was the number one candidate for, only to later find I was passed up due to one manager trying to keep me in their department. They did so because they knew I was the go to person. I could, in a single day, serve, bartend, hostess and food run. Among other hats I could juggle. I could also solicit the help and loved finding projects to do because we had the freedom to improve our work environment and it was encouraged.
Pros
opportunity for career development
Cons
Recognition, gossip
Plasma TV in cafeteria
Room Service Cashier/ TSA (To Service All) (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 12, 2012
No problems with co-workers. Typical day starts; knowing that
we were short of staff and management was never available,
either at meetings or hiding. For most of the time kitchen was
also understaff, orders were late, guests very upset to the fact
that had being waiting a long time and asking for discounts.
Never have enough tools to work with , employees running
around looking for the most needed supplies, e.g. silverware,
tablecloth, napkings, glasses, you name it!

Very stressful place to work for, salaries are excellet, but you would
also have to consider that one employee is expected to do what
three people should do, on a daily basis.

Computer system outdated.
Pros
free lunch and dinner, paid vacations, and a $20.00 gift card for thanksgiving day.
Cons
half hour break, punches have to be right on the dot.
Fun Workplace
trainee Chef (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLDecember 23, 2014
A day at work would be so exhausting ,after working a 14 hour shift you still feel like you could go on for longer.
I have learned to work with different cultures,communicate with everyone. Ask on regular bases and still learning what needs to be done and how its needed. Punctuality was the most important factor in most cases,execution of food and the speed on which to do things in the kitchen.
Management was very strict on me especially when I felt like giving up,they would push more and that's when I learned to push myself more.
It would always be competition with co-workers which at the end it would be boosting confidence in me and learned to work well with different cultures and kinds of people.
The hardest part of the job I would say was of course moving so far away from home and working long hours,but i still pulled it off very well i must say.
I enjoyed learning new things most of the time,being a line chef and working with a lot of people.
Good place to work however to get a raise you have to be promoted to a higher paid position.
Facilities Coordinator/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Marana, AZJanuary 27, 2013
Good place to work as well as management. Some days slow due to occupancy other times very fast paced. I've learned quite a bit about accounting as I do all the ordering, purchasing and keep financial records for several departments. I also have been certified in CPR and first aid to assist both guest and associates with basic first aid. I interact with most if not all of my fellow associates as they enter and exit through loss prevention and get along with most. The most stressful part of the job would be responding to guest emergencies as you never know what may arise. I do however feel very fortunate that I haven't come across anything that I wasn't able to handle.
Pros
working with a great department and leaders.
Cons
no raises, the only way to get a raise is to move into a higher paid position.
Working in such a large place with over a hundred employees
Cook II (Former Employee) –  Amelia Island, FLJune 25, 2013
I started by checking how many people were in the VIP club lounge then I would create three to four types of hor deuvers that I came up with by myself and plate each one on individual plates , over a hundred plates each item . then I would set it up , after I would help with other prep and plating are setting up banquets I also worked in the hotel cafe and Ocean Bar & Grill during the summer . I learned a lot about culinary on a larger scale .Management were incredible and very knowledgable , the same goes for my co workers we were like a big family and I made freinds for life . Being a cook in a large Hotel is very challenging but I enjoyed it for the most .The whole part of working at a place that is like a second family .
Pros
free lunch great benefits
Cons
hours were cut when the recession began .
Great Team Work Environment
Front Office, Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 4, 2016
The Ritz Carlton was a great experience. The teamwork aspect is huge in a hospitality/customer service industry in a large hotel.

Management is very different depending on the department, however, relationships are very easy to build with managers as you are constantly interacting with almost every department when working in the front office.

The only downside to the company is the chance for advancement. There is very little available within the hotel you are at; when a position does become available, there are many people that have been waiting their chance to apply for that spot and will be considered before anyone who has not been with company as long. The company is large and expands globally; so a position may be sought after by hundreds of people within the company.

I enjoyed my experience with the Ritz Carlton thoroughly. The cultural is amazing to be a part of, and the customer service experience I developed is applicable in all work environments. I highly recommend this company for anyone looking for experience in customer service and a close teamwork environment.
My experience at the Ritz-Carlton
Cook 3 (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 31, 2015
There isn't a day that goes by that I obtain increasing knowledge in the field that I am in. My coworkers are so passionate about there job and duties and help each other to learn and grow. The most hardest part of my job would be you would never know what to expect, which could be frustrating or for the most part exciting as well, all of us in the back and front of the house thrive under pressure and help one another to succeed. Management wise can be very tough with scheduling, ordering, making sure each individual are satisfied with there job and needs, etc.... all in all everything that I needed to do my job management always exceeded my expectations. The most enjoyable part of my job are my coworkers and how well we work together, all of us to learn more and grow and building a strong relationship in and out the kitchen.
Pros
employee appreciation week, benifits
Cons
interrupted breaks

4.5