The Ritz-Carlton

The Ritz-Carlton United States Employee Reviews

great co workers
club lounge attendant (Former Employee), rancho mirage CAFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: ???
Cons: lack of integrity
Management is terrible. HR was the worst I've ever seen. There was a big problem with the supervisor in my department including herself in our tip pool. That's against CA labor code 351. I'm still waiting for the money taken from me to me reimbursed because HR said they would pay it back. This is NOT what I signed up for. Also they are unwilling to budge even a little on the schedules. I worked the evening for 3 months straight. I asked over and over for some morning shifts. They said no,so I quit.
Great culture and place to work
Group Housing and Billing Coordinator (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: need to clock in and out every 5 hours
Work with different departments at the Ritz-Carlton/JW Marriott
Co-workers are great
Always something going on since the building is in the heart of LA Live
Amazing culture, but horrible manament
Spa Concierge (Former Employee), Half Moon Bay, CAJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: disocunts, employee dinning room, pay
Cons: hours, managment
Selected to attend a globally recognized hospitality training program which calibrated my level of product familiarity, SOP/Point of Sale guidelines, culture fit and five star/diamond service values. Consistently transcended forecast-ed sales margins of my peers while assisting guest with reservations, corporate retreats and events.
This was my first experience in Hospitality so I was consistently learning about a higher form of customer service that really enlivened my thirst for knowledge. I loved it!
Management thou was completely unprofessional (working after a long night partying, making up facts to get by with customers) and would never finish a full shift unless the GM made note of any discrepancies.
Co-workers were nice to a point, but everyone was always very stressed about information gathering due to managements consistent failings in communications.
The hardest part was picking up slack for my director as to avoid future customer issues and the unrealistic hours they expected me to be available. One time I was called into work at four in the morning to open up the gym for a guest.
I loved the atmosphere thou and the higher management were people you look up to.
Excellent place to work!
Hostess (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 26, 2015
Excellent place to work, a very friendly atmosphere. Everyone has a very positive attitude and everybody help you to complete and do an excellent job
I Left to focus in High School
Server assistant, bartender assistant, hostess (Former Employee), St.Thomas VIJanuary 23, 2015
I started working there for a summer internship program. They much of saw something great in me, that they offered me a part time job. I had some of the best employees I have ever worked with. I was only 16 at the time and they all made me feel like family. I was a hostess and much more because I love learning. I was starting to worry about my grades especially because my last two years of high school was very important. I left on a great note and would go back in a heart beat once offered a job there again.
Strict workplace with few options for advancement
Banquet Server (Former Employee), Amelia Island, FLJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: no job security, no work/life balence
I have worked in the Banquet department for 10 years the pay is often excellent but the hours they want you to be available are horrible. There is no room for advancement and the corporate culture is the worst of it. If you are not an executive you are treated like dirt. This company will fire employees for looking at the wrong guest, there is absolutely no job security.
Not sure why
Cook (Former Employee), Dana Point, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Cons: human resource department, discrimination
Working for this company may be something I wanted to continue to strive for but after many efforts to stay within this company. The Ritz Carlton has made me dissatisfied. I will not recommend anyone to pursue a career with this company or property.
Terrible Management Training Program
Voyager (Current Employee), The United StatesJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: talking to famous people?
Cons: pretty much everything else
Before I started my Masters program in Hospitality and Tourism Management, I set the lofty goal of joining the Ritz-Carlton via their management training program (Voyage) after graduating.

After completing my degree, I went through the lengthy hiring process and was offered a position in the field of my choice.

Despite two other offers which paid better and came coupled with a more attractive benefits package, I signed on with The Ritz-Carlton at a flagship property based off of the reputation for excellence that their Voyage program for Management Trainees carries.

I currently rank this decision as the worst I have ever made in my entire life.

The management training program for me boiled down to little more than a way for the company to find cheap, highly promising labor. They are looking for managers who will act as robots, signing their life away into supporting a lie for corporate profits.

My quality of life, since starting work with The Ritz-Carlton, has gone down hill significantly.

I'm sure the program was originally put together with the best of intentions. My experience with the company revealed that the way individual hotel properties use some (or all?) of these management trainees is very different from how they are presented when I was a prospect of the program.

Busy work. Terrible training. Brand standards are not enforced. Brand is not what it used to be. Low and mid level management is paid poorly and it shows. Within one hour of being on the job, several managers approached me and told me I had made a mistake. One told me he would, "do everything he could – more... to protect me and my career". Management is like a revolving door and employees of the property constantly laugh about it.

That being said, I was well received and liked by most, if not all, employees.

There were two other management trainees at my property when I started. Both hated it and one has since quit. I will be leaving the company as soon as I finish the program.

The thing that makes my blood boil the most about the company is that one of my main responsibilities is to make up stats in order to propagate the many lies that currently keep the company (or at least the property at which I worked) successful.

New upper level management at any company means that new programs and policies are put into place to increase company output, performance, etc. It takes a long time for a company to evaluate whether or not a particular manager is effective. One of my main job responsibilities at The Ritz-Carlton was to input completely made up stats in order to boost short term scores and make upper level management seem effective. If a new manager's program can be shown to be marginally more effective than an old program, then the new manager stands to receive compensation and likely move up the career ladder. The bulk of my responsibilities outside of busy work was to fake these stats. Although I hated it, faking these stats was the only part of my job that took any skill or was remotely interesting. I feared that if I did not fake these stats, I would be disciplined one way or another.

I could keep going for hours or even days with details but since nobody will likely read this information, I'm going to stop here.

Worst company I've ever worked for. I can't believe I went back to graduate school for this. – less
great workplace
Fine Dining Line Cook (Former Employee), Laguna, CAJanuary 19, 2015
greatsest company to work for. great benefits and great pay and the workplace environment truly is fun and comforting.
Very fun to work at and great environment
Hostess (Former Employee), Kapalua, HIJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great cafeteria food
I learned a lot on hospitality, friendship and professionalism at this place. Great benefits
Fun Place to work
Room Service Server (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 14, 2015
Ritz Carloton is one of the most elegant hotels in the world. Working for this hotel was the very pleasuress. Could possibly say that I had a blast while workin at the Ritz. Management was fun, compensation was very attractive, and the staff were very lovable. simply, I miss working at Ritz.
Meh
In-room Dining Server (Former Employee), Dana Point, CAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: coworkers were great, money was decent when there was business, guests were pleasant most of the time.
Cons: poor management, inconsistent business flow, labor cutbacks that affect even senior full time employees, overworked and understaffed.
I can't speak for all the properties but at the one where I worked, my department was horribly managed. The upper management care more about saving a few dollars (by doing things like cutting labor) than providing the "finest personal service and facilities" to the guests. We were not provided with the necessary resources to do our job properly.
World Class Experience
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 10, 2015
The Ritz-Carlton is a company that is second to none. They provide world class customer service, and every employee is treated like the Lady and Gentlemen that they truly are.
OK
FINANCE (Former Employee), RITZJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: ok
good typical day at work
•what you learned - ok
•good management
•friendly co-workers
People -the most enjoyable part of the job
Volunteering work
Sports outings
no incentives
lack of growth opportunity
produ
Front desk Agent (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: hours
At this job a typical day would be helping customers out and providing them with the finest personal service. My co workers were very nice and always pitched in if needed
great workplace
Garde Manger- Banquet Cook (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2015
 As a Ritz Carlton- JW Marriott banquet cook, my job is to provide the best quality food for our banquet event guests. We have cooked for dignitaries, heads of state, sport teams, celebrity fundraisers, as well as assisting celebrity chefs with food preparation at events such as the Los Angeles food and wine festival. Duties include the execution of all cold kitchen items. Pre-preparation of cold and hot kitchen banquet event orders, through to final execution of food preparation and plating, for events ranging from ten to seven-thousand guests
Overnight at Ritz is a wonderful experience
Overnight Call Center Agrnt (Current Employee), New OrleansDecember 29, 2014
Pros: teamwork
Cons: adjusting to working overnight
My typical day is exciting I love my co workers. My managers are the best. The hardest part is to expect the unexpected we are talking the hospitality industry anything can change in a matter of days or hours. I enjoy my job meeting new people form different cultural and working with a diverse team.
Fun Workplace
trainee Chef (Former Employee), Naples, FLDecember 23, 2014
A day at work would be so exhausting ,after working a 14 hour shift you still feel like you could go on for longer.
I have learned to work with different cultures,communicate with everyone. Ask on regular bases and still learning what needs to be done and how its needed. Punctuality was the most important factor in most cases,execution of food and the speed on which to do things in the kitchen.
Management was very strict on me especially when I felt like giving up,they would push more and that's when I learned to push myself more.
It would always be competition with co-workers which at the end it would be boosting confidence in me and learned to work well with different cultures and kinds of people.
The hardest part of the job I would say was of course moving so far away from home and working long hours,but i still pulled it off very well i must say.
I enjoyed learning new things most of the time,being a line chef and working with a lot of people.
I am very proud to worked for The Ritz-Carlton a place to which I owe so much for my learning and professional growth
Bartender/Cocktail Waitress (Former Employee), Miami, FLDecember 8, 2014
Pros: they encompass the values and philosophy by with they operate, is an unique and valuable experience.
Cons: they always work to do it better and improve the quality of life of they employees
The Ritz-Carton motto, "We are ladies and gentlemen" exemplifies the anticipatory service provided by all the staff members. As denoted in its credo , The Ritz- Carlton is a place where genuine and comfort of guest is its the highest mission. They employee are the most important resource in the service commitment to the guest.Diversity is valuable and is an example of international and interracial employees.They treat each others with dignity and respect. The company instill well -being and fulfills even the unexpressed wishes and needs of guest.
Productive positive environment.
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee), White Plains, NYDecember 4, 2014
Working for the Ritz-Carlton hotel is nice. The management treat you with respect and are very understanding. They want to see the employees succeed even if its in another company so they're always willing to teach and help you grow.

About The Ritz-Carlton

The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. is the parent company to the luxury hotel chain, The Ritz-Carlton Hotels. Ritz-Carlton – Read more

The Ritz-Carlton Salaries