The Ritz-Carlton

The Ritz-Carlton Employer Reviews

Terrible Management Training Program
Voyager (Current Employee), The United StatesJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: talking to famous people?
Cons: pretty much everything else
Before I started my Masters program in Hospitality and Tourism Management, I set the lofty goal of joining the Ritz-Carlton via their management training program (Voyage) after graduating.

After completing my degree, I went through the lengthy hiring process and was offered a position in the field of my choice.

Despite two other offers which paid better and came coupled with a more attractive benefits package, I signed on with The Ritz-Carlton at a flagship property based off of the reputation for excellence that their Voyage program for Management Trainees carries.

I currently rank this decision as the worst I have ever made in my entire life.

The management training program for me boiled down to little more than a way for the company to find cheap, highly promising labor. They are looking for managers who will act as robots, signing their life away into supporting a lie for corporate profits.

My quality of life, since starting work with The Ritz-Carlton, has gone down hill significantly.

I'm sure the program was originally put together with the best of intentions. My experience with the company revealed that the way individual hotel properties use some (or all?) of these management trainees is very different from how they are presented when I was a prospect of the program.

Busy work. Terrible training. Brand standards are not enforced. Brand is not what it used to be. Low and mid level management is paid poorly and it shows. Within one hour of being on the job, several managers approached me and told me I had made a mistake. One told me he would, "do everything he could – more... to protect me and my career". Management is like a revolving door and employees of the property constantly laugh about it.

That being said, I was well received and liked by most, if not all, employees.

There were two other management trainees at my property when I started. Both hated it and one has since quit. I will be leaving the company as soon as I finish the program.

The thing that makes my blood boil the most about the company is that one of my main responsibilities is to make up stats in order to propagate the many lies that currently keep the company (or at least the property at which I worked) successful.

New upper level management at any company means that new programs and policies are put into place to increase company output, performance, etc. It takes a long time for a company to evaluate whether or not a particular manager is effective. One of my main job responsibilities at The Ritz-Carlton was to input completely made up stats in order to boost short term scores and make upper level management seem effective. If a new manager's program can be shown to be marginally more effective than an old program, then the new manager stands to receive compensation and likely move up the career ladder. The bulk of my responsibilities outside of busy work was to fake these stats. Although I hated it, faking these stats was the only part of my job that took any skill or was remotely interesting. I feared that if I did not fake these stats, I would be disciplined one way or another.

I could keep going for hours or even days with details but since nobody will likely read this information, I'm going to stop here.

Worst company I've ever worked for. I can't believe I went back to graduate school for this. – less
great workplace
Fine Dining Line Cook (Former Employee), Laguna, CAJanuary 19, 2015
greatsest company to work for. great benefits and great pay and the workplace environment truly is fun and comforting.
Very fun to work at and great environment
Hostess (Former Employee), Kapalua, HIJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great cafeteria food
I learned a lot on hospitality, friendship and professionalism at this place. Great benefits
Fun Place to work
Room Service Server (Former Employee), Arlington, VAJanuary 14, 2015
Ritz Carloton is one of the most elegant hotels in the world. Working for this hotel was the very pleasuress. Could possibly say that I had a blast while workin at the Ritz. Management was fun, compensation was very attractive, and the staff were very lovable. simply, I miss working at Ritz.
Meh
In-room Dining Server (Former Employee), Dana Point, CAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: coworkers were great, money was decent when there was business, guests were pleasant most of the time.
Cons: poor management, inconsistent business flow, labor cutbacks that affect even senior full time employees, overworked and understaffed.
I can't speak for all the properties but at the one where I worked, my department was horribly managed. The upper management care more about saving a few dollars (by doing things like cutting labor) than providing the "finest personal service and facilities" to the guests. We were not provided with the necessary resources to do our job properly.
World Class Experience
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee), McLean, VAJanuary 10, 2015
The Ritz-Carlton is a company that is second to none. They provide world class customer service, and every employee is treated like the Lady and Gentlemen that they truly are.
OK
FINANCE (Former Employee), RITZJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: ok
good typical day at work
•what you learned - ok
•good management
•friendly co-workers
People -the most enjoyable part of the job
Volunteering work
Sports outings
no incentives
lack of growth opportunity
produ
Front desk Agent (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: hours
At this job a typical day would be helping customers out and providing them with the finest personal service. My co workers were very nice and always pitched in if needed
great workplace
Garde Manger- Banquet Cook (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2015
 As a Ritz Carlton- JW Marriott banquet cook, my job is to provide the best quality food for our banquet event guests. We have cooked for dignitaries, heads of state, sport teams, celebrity fundraisers, as well as assisting celebrity chefs with food preparation at events such as the Los Angeles food and wine festival. Duties include the execution of all cold kitchen items. Pre-preparation of cold and hot kitchen banquet event orders, through to final execution of food preparation and plating, for events ranging from ten to seven-thousand guests
Overnight at Ritz is a wonderful experience
Overnight Call Center Agrnt (Current Employee), New OrleansDecember 29, 2014
Pros: teamwork
Cons: adjusting to working overnight
My typical day is exciting I love my co workers. My managers are the best. The hardest part is to expect the unexpected we are talking the hospitality industry anything can change in a matter of days or hours. I enjoy my job meeting new people form different cultural and working with a diverse team.
Fun Workplace
trainee Chef (Former Employee), Naples, FLDecember 23, 2014
A day at work would be so exhausting ,after working a 14 hour shift you still feel like you could go on for longer.
I have learned to work with different cultures,communicate with everyone. Ask on regular bases and still learning what needs to be done and how its needed. Punctuality was the most important factor in most cases,execution of food and the speed on which to do things in the kitchen.
Management was very strict on me especially when I felt like giving up,they would push more and that's when I learned to push myself more.
It would always be competition with co-workers which at the end it would be boosting confidence in me and learned to work well with different cultures and kinds of people.
The hardest part of the job I would say was of course moving so far away from home and working long hours,but i still pulled it off very well i must say.
I enjoyed learning new things most of the time,being a line chef and working with a lot of people.
I am very proud to worked for The Ritz-Carlton a place to which I owe so much for my learning and professional growth
Bartender/Cocktail Waitress (Former Employee), Miami, FLDecember 8, 2014
Pros: they encompass the values and philosophy by with they operate, is an unique and valuable experience.
Cons: they always work to do it better and improve the quality of life of they employees
The Ritz-Carton motto, "We are ladies and gentlemen" exemplifies the anticipatory service provided by all the staff members. As denoted in its credo , The Ritz- Carlton is a place where genuine and comfort of guest is its the highest mission. They employee are the most important resource in the service commitment to the guest.Diversity is valuable and is an example of international and interracial employees.They treat each others with dignity and respect. The company instill well -being and fulfills even the unexpressed wishes and needs of guest.
Productive positive environment.
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee), White Plains, NYDecember 4, 2014
Working for the Ritz-Carlton hotel is nice. The management treat you with respect and are very understanding. They want to see the employees succeed even if its in another company so they're always willing to teach and help you grow.
I have not worked at The Ritz-Carlton but would be proud to be a part of this organization
Front Desk Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco Bay Area, CANovember 26, 2014
I have benefitted as a guest at "The Ritz"; I believe that my skills in the Senior Living Community are well matched to this fine establishment's mission. I can make a difference at the Ritz-Carlton.

I desire an opportunity to use my sophisticated customer service skills to continue to develop the fine brand in place at the Ritz-Carlton. I am skilled at all office manager tasks but am as equally good with people. I have been successful at implementing activities that engage and educate in the Health Care Industry and as a volunteer while supporting an Executive Board in the Athletic Industry.

I have lived in the SF Bay Area since 1976 and want to continue to be a part of this dynamic region of the United States as a Service Provider.
Great place to learn hospitality and thrive in fast pace environment
Valet (Former Employee), Laguna NiguelNovember 19, 2014
Pros: free lunch, they take great care of employees
Cons: worked on all holidays
Each day was different from the last. By working in a 5 Diamond hospitality company I was able to learn how to thrive under pressure and keep every guest happy with my service. The hardest part of the job is when a guest comes out to valet and has a problem that occurred in a different part of the hotel and I would have to resolve it in a peaceful manner and with the guest leaving our conversation happy.
line engineer with escalating responsibilities
Lead engineer (Former Employee), Rancho Mirage, CANovember 8, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Challenging and interesting. I started with smaller equipment and advanced to full charge of hotel heating and cooling, as well as maintenance and repair of kitchen equipment.
Wonderful and professional colleagues
Front Office Supervisor (Current Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 3, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere, professional employees who are held to the highest standards, and tasty lunches
Cons: entitled guests and somewhat difficult clientele
The Ritz-Carlton is like no other company. Their service is not only dedicated to the guests staying within the hotel, but the kind and genuine people you work with give you the same feeling only that of being at home with your family and friends would.
Great work environment with many different personalities coming together to create a successful hotel
Guest Relations Coordinator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: fellow employees were great to work with, free lunches, opportunities to meet new connections
Cons: management was disorganized
I thoroughly enjoyed working for The Ritz-Carlton hotel company. After majoring in Hospitality Management, this was the perfect place to start my career right after college.
excellent work environment
Housekeeping (Current Employee), atlanta gaOctober 27, 2014
I have been able to take advantage of several lateral service positions since working with the Ritz Carlton. I have gained experience in the call center and the banquet kitchens it has been a wonderful experience.
great on team work
cook line (Former Employee), Avon, COOctober 13, 2014
I love to be on the heavy duty.. work hard and have the greater service ..

About The Ritz-Carlton

The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. is the parent company to the luxury hotel chain, The Ritz-Carlton Hotels. Ritz-Carlton – Read more

The Ritz-Carlton Salaries