The Roasterie Employee Reviews

Terrible Company Culture
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 27, 2017
It's sad that this isn't a great place to work because the product is great and the brand is strong, but I've never loathed going to work as much as I did during my time at The Roasterie. I was down right afraid of management near the end of my time there.

Being yelled at for no reason was common and keeping up with ever changing expectations (that you were just expected to know - by reading their mind basically) was virtually impossible. I can say that I've been compared to an "ignorant pig farmer" now though, so that's something.

It seems appealing and they make a good pitch, but my advise is to stay away!
Pros
Free coffee, some good people to work with, fun local brand
Cons
Erratic Owner/Management, Culture where fear is used to motivate
Cubicle job
Temp (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 23, 2017
Lots of excel spreadsheet work, long hours of sorting mail alphabetically, filing papers by number, cutting mini posters and laminating them. I hated the coffee smell by the way
Pros
gifts, holiday celebrations, fun event planning
Cons
No breaks, no pay, back pain, tiny bathroom, rude people
Very Energetic work place
Lead Barista (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 6, 2016
A typical day at work would be non stop moving and going. Preparing the finest coffee for my loving and caring customers. Ordering milk , coffee and other things such as apple juice etc.Opening and closing the shop everyday.
Ownership is Crazy
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 23, 2015
This product is absolutely great and for the most part, the people are great...aside from the owner. The owner is very rude, loud, and unfair like a child sometimes. He/she can be very nice to your face and then talk behind your back to your coworkers which is very unprofessional. There was a revolving door for employers when I worked there which causes many strains...so I had to get out and move to a better opportunity. But I truly hope that this has all be resolved, because I love this product.
Pros
great product, easy to sell
Cons
ownership
allways active, fast paste production, timely goals keep us allert and working together.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 3, 2013
Im usually the first one in at work, so i get all the machines warmed up and ready to go. Then we get all of our labeled bags ready to go to the blender of the beans, so they can be properly mixed. Once mixed and sorted out, the bagers will take a blend and load it into a machine that will then sort the coffee beans in weights desired by the bager. They vary from 5lb to 12oz. Once baged the coffee goes through what we call the flood system of nitrogen. Nitrogen goes into the bag, causing oxygen to come out being that the nitrogen is heavier than the oxygen. Once the oxygen is flushed out the bag gets sealed shut for freshness. Then all of the bags begin their journey to their destinations, being the grocery store, different routes that our drivers will take in town or as far as lawrence and topeka. Also alot of our product gets picked up here at the plant by ups, fed ex, usps, Quick delivery, etc. It takes a team effort, but at the end of the day when its all said and done we do get a sence of accomplishment when we put it all out on time and with no errors. The daily logs of all our activities tell us the next day how well we did or didn't do.
Pros
free lunch on fridays, profit sharing at the end of the year, and annual gifts for anniversarys.
Cons
managers don't last long, supervisors don't last long, routeens are slowly forgotten, and none there to measure our objectives.