The Salk Institute for Biological Studies Employee Reviews

Salk is a good place
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 26, 2017
Salk is a good place but poor management. HR turnover. Special events are helpful. Other workers are friendly and informative. You can work here even during school.
Great place to work and start off your career.
Lab Coordinator (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAFebruary 6, 2017
Room for growth is limited unless you get lucky, but this is typical of academic research. heath benefits have declined over the years and have shifted to a more expensive version for the employee.
Pros
retiment plan.
Cons
Limiting funding
great place
Postdoctoral Fellow and Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CADecember 22, 2016
wonderful place to work, really enjoy the science and collaborative environment here, and a great place that can really make you learn new things and make many good friends.
Good Cafeteria and close to gliderport
Animal Health Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2016
Great place to start my career in the pharmaceutical field. Helpful team members to train a new comer. Close knit group but welcoming at the same time.
One of the most respected place on Earth in Life Science.
Staff Researcher (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CANovember 6, 2014
The Institute is open for 24/7 with excellent Facility Services. We have professional leadership in each departments with highly respected Professors from all around the World. Well equipped laboratories, perfect safety environments , massive building which is safe for extreme earthquake. Beautiful view to the Pacific Ocean, good cafeteria. Excellent scientific presentations near every week, large variety of social programs, such as Symphony at Salk. I am participating and leading a friendly soccer team since the last 21 years, playing twice a week on the lawn of the Institute, and accept boys and girls from the near-by research and educational facilities, such as Scripps, and UCSD.
Our co-workers are from the five Continents, working together in harmony and successfully.
The hardest part of my job is the HF cleavage of the peptides from the polymer matrix. HF (hydrogen fluoride) is one of the most dangerous gas among millions of chemicals used today.
The most enjoyable part is the birthday celebrations of our existing and ex-workers in our group, which is going back in decades.
All together, the Salk Institute is a dream place for work in life sciences.
Pros
The proof is my 21 years here.
Cons
I have no negative comments.
Small but excellent place
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAOctober 15, 2014
It is a small institute, but is very efficiently managed. People are very friendly to each other. There is no balance of work/life. If you don't succeed, you better find another place.