The Salvation Army
1,933 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

Liberty of helping others
cleaning crew, kitchen server (Former Employee), Greenville, MSJuly 10, 2014
Pros: supplying food and clothes for those in need
Cons: not having enough supplies
It was very satisfying being able to be there for someone who needs help.
Busy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 9, 2014
Pros: close by
Cons: bad management
I really enjoyed my job and interactions with Board members and residents in the shelter. We served all kinds of people and we did not discriminate at all.
Excellent place to work at.
Assistant to Social Service director (Current Employee), rochester nhJuly 9, 2014
It is very fullfilling to help other people. Very organized office.
not enough pay for dock work
Dock Worker (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 9, 2014
Cons: pay
needs new and better functioning equipment, days where long and boring, not enough pay for dock work, breaks where fine, pallet jacks broke often and they only had 2 hi-lo's
Fun place to work in, family oriented
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 9, 2014
It was a pleasure working with this company. Supporting the community and being part of helping those in read was a rewarding experience.
Teaching the Kids
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Stockton, CAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: free lunch, flexible, and reasonable hours
Cons: kids that don't like to listen
Teaching the kids day to day for a week was challenging but overall very entertaining and fun. A typical day would consist of breakfast-snack in the morning and playtime during the day. Also some days we would do special activities or go on field trips.
Rewarding job with direct view of community benefit
Salvation Army Officer (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJuly 8, 2014
I enjoyed working for The Salvation Army and learning the many skills that I can carry on towards my next career.
Produtive
Case Manager/ Facilitator (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 8, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: got shut down!
• Refereed residents and families to community resources to improve well-being and quality of life.
• Streamlined and improved program operational processes by offering up new ideas and researching positive outcomes in other agencies.
• Set goals with clients related to employment and financial planning and worked with them to track progress.
• Kept – more... current case notes on all clients.
• Facilitated Life Skills courses.
• Worked with senior case managers to coordinate team development activities and trainings.
• Conducted competency-based, interactive interviews to identify client’s needs – less
Great work environment!
Customer Service (Former Employee), North Canton, OHJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great people
I loved working for this company but I wanted to be able to continue my education full-time.
Nights working a christmas tree lot
Christmas Tree Sales to benefit (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 7, 2014
This was not directly affiliated with The Salvation Army but our profits were donated as a group
A nice job
Accounting/Payroll Clerk (Former Employee), Trenton, NJJuly 6, 2014
As the payroll/account clerk at the Salvation Army Trenton ARC, I expanded on my experience. I completed the payroll in its entirety from timecards to processing and distribution utilizing Paychex Preview. I handled benefits for the employees, such as health and life insurance, workman's comp, pension contributions, W-2s. I also learned about the hiring – more... process at the Salvation Army and what was required by government and company guidelines.

The management was less than desirable and left room for a lot of suspicion. At the latest audit just held at the end of June, the management was cited for not handling the money deposits according to the protocol of the Salvation Army. My manager did not have any respect for protocols and yet, she was handling some very large amounts of money.

The environment was hostile and got even worse as time went on and I gained expertise in my limited functions. I tolerated this the best that I could; but made sure that I did my job accurately, and honestly, and kept meticulous records. Because I followed the policies and adhered to the guidelines of the company, I believe worsened the hostility as this did not coincide with the shady practices of the manager. I wasn't really cited for anything in the audit, but was taught a couple of things that were unbeknownst to me. I believe it is because of my recordkeeping that these shady practices were revealed in the audit. Therefore, I was let go.

I only had one office co-worker who I enjoyed working with. I was not permitted to talk to anyone so I never really got to know anybody. But, I did enjoy servicing whoever I was permitted to service. I really did not have a problem with anybody, nor did they have a problem with me. Unfortunately, my manager was highly suspicious and distrustful of me the whole length of my employment. I did not manage any funds.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was doing the work that I had expertise in, and I got to learn a couple of new things.

Although I knew my ending would not be happy, I felt strongly that I had to consistently maintain my limited workload to the best of my ability according to what was required by the standards of the Salvation Army. I have no regrets; I feel I accepted the job in good faith, understood my position, and provided honest and detailed work. – less
Below Average
Volunteer (Former Employee), Portland, ORJuly 5, 2014
Pros: free food.
Cons: lazy/easy work
The work was hardly fulfilling, and my partner and I had too much free time.
Productve
General Utilities (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 5, 2014
Pros: weekends off
Cons: the raises were few and far between.
A typical day at work was fine. I learned a lot. My co-workers were good people. Overall the job was good.
played music for the customers entering stores and received large cash donations
bellringer (Former Employee), East Saint Louis, ILJuly 5, 2014
Pros: stores provided free food
Cons: stores accepted me a one of their own.
Collected donations for the salvation army during the christmas holiday by standing at the entrance at large department stores. To change the environment, I played music with guitar and double bells and the customers enjoyed the change that I brought to the bellringing environment. The donations were the largest the salvation army had received from – more... the bellringing position.

Co-workers were team players.

There were no hard parts except ending the day and the smiling faces of childrens and parents.

Little kids singing gingle bells with me and alone from the tunes played with bells and guitar. – less
volunteer work
Volunteer (Current Employee), DeKalb, ILJuly 3, 2014
Pros: volunteer work, help others
Cons: no cons
this was not a paid position. My community service organization andI gathered clothes and took them to the salvation army. Once at the salvation Army,my duties were to sort the clothes according to type, size and gender.
Workplace
Housing/Security Monitor (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 3, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is to see the residents excel and move on to the next phase in their lives. It is amazing to see where they start from and be able to see how much they accomplish before they leave.
Wonderful
Corps Officer (Chief Professional Officer) (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 3, 2014
I am a person motivated, always doing something productive. In a typical day at work I use to put all my effort and knowledge to make my best in any task that I am working on. I learned that in life you never stop learning, learning is a process that make you grow and grow. I have a good experience as manager, I was leading an operation with the Salvation – more... Army for 10 years. I was the general manager administrator of that operation, that involve different programs, financial, social, sport, food pantry, direct speak, etc. As leader I make all my effort to keep a very good relationship with my co-worker, keeping the best environment possible for that. The hard part as Salvation Army officer director was that you mus be able 24 hour a day 7 days a week, and in emergencies always we were sent to the emergency location for a long time, living my family at home for two or three weeks. The most enjoyable part of my job was the service to the community and see with your own eyes the transformation of people and the smile in the face of the children. – less
fun place to see what others have had in their life
Volunteer (Former Employee), Urbana, OHJuly 2, 2014
Pros: flexible volunteer schedule
Cons: could be long hours, not trained on one specific job, sometimes worked alone
i wasn't here very long, but the time I was there I absolutely loved it! The people were fantastic and volunteering was a treat! I loved seeing the little pieces of someone's life come through the store. I never realized some things were even objects, but you can find them here!
Fun and helpful
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Casa Grande, AZJuly 1, 2014
A Typical work day would include standing outside and ring a bell and talk to people to be able to rise money for the community of Pinal county. Co-workers were fun to be around and they helped through difficult times and were always there to lend a hand. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people smile at us especially when they were mad – more... and came out of a conversation with a smile on their face. – less
Fun Place to work.
Prep Cook (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 1, 2014
Pros: got to show my skills.
Cons: graduating and having to leave
I was up every morning around 4 to start work. And was off at 1 or 2. I lived on the property. The management were great!! There were some trouble with the co-workers but everything was fine in the end. I just loved the work everyday.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Salvation Army

Battling to provide social services, The Salvation Army is more than 4 million strong -- including some 3.4 million registered – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos