The Salvation Army

2.9K reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Cashier (Former Employee), Pontiac, MIAugust 2, 2015
Great customers who helps and teaches you everyday. So many different personalities running around you get a little bit of everything in their. You find a great experience in their. Things that you wouldn't think you would get in their you notice everyday.
very productive and busy
Store Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLAugust 2, 2015
Pros: meeting new people and enjoying customers and attending graduations
Cons: Saying goodbye to transferring employees
Good employees made the job fun. New merchandising techniques were always implemented. The upper management was always willing to listen to new ideas. The hardest part of the job occurred when the bus with the workers was late or leaving to early. It put an extra load on those days for cashiers. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers and catching up with their daily lives, and sharing special occasions with the employees.
N/A
Red Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Indiana, PAAugust 1, 2015
Not currently looking to review the Salvation Army as they are just a non profit organization and I do not forsee myself working for them ever again.
A place to be creative
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Fort Wayne, INAugust 1, 2015
A typical day for me includes making a plan for the day, producing clothing and 'bric', putting them out on the floor in a timely manner, cashiering, dressing the mannequins, merchandising, decorating furniture, making sure that my employees are working efficiently, and delivering excellent customer service.

I have learned so much working for this company. I have learned how to be an effective leader, how to put A LOT of stuff in little spaces and make it look professional and organized, merchandising to make outfits and furniture decor look modern and appealing for second hand clothing and items.

Customer service will always be first on my list. I work hard to make sure that customers are happy, and will come back again. I have developed some amazing relationships with my customers and I see most of them every day.

This company has allowed me to use my creativity and organization skills for good and I will always be grateful for that.
Out going and a hard worker
Cashier (Former Employee), Duluth,Ga.July 31, 2015
Pros: Love to get along with people
Cons: Love to help people
Doing what I love to do and getting along with my co-workers and my supervisors. And asking for a chance to be part of this team.
Fun place to work.
Financial Assistances Case Manager (Current Employee), Winston-Salem, NCJuly 31, 2015
I learned a lot working with clients from various backgrounds. I will never forget this experience. My experience was bitter sweet, but over all I learned a lot and I am a better person because of it.
If you lose your job you cannot collect UE
Solicitation (Former Employee), CTJuly 31, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Everything
Overall it should be better because your a doing the "most good" for people. No direction from the 1st day to the last and also just remember because they are a "church" and you are let go you CAN NOT collect UE benefits from them. You will go in thinking you are helping out the ones in need but not really, find another non-profit to work with!
Clean and well-organized shelter for less fortunate
Volunteer (Former Employee), Fullerton, CAJuly 31, 2015
I enjoyed volunteering here, as the volunteers and the homeless were all so kind and friendly. I found the whole volunteer experience to be very rewarding.
Love it
Retail Associate, (Current Employee), Southgate, MIJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Wonderful work environment
Cons: Not enough hours
I love my job, but the hours are limited so I'm looking for a second job. The people who work there are good people, and the customers are always a pleasure.
nice place to work
cashier/clerk (Current Employee), Thrift soreJuly 30, 2015
Pros: meeting and talking to people every day
Cons: when work is slow the day seems longer
You may see the same people every single day. Most of them know you by name. you may learn their names some times you meet new people tha tell how much they like your store and that will come again.
Productive and awesome management team
MFT Intern - Volunteer (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Every day is exciting and different.
Cons: Distance to travel. Shift requirements.
Great place to gain experience with adults in rehabilitation. Management and co-workers very caring and professional.
Comfortable & calm work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 29, 2015
During my time of working at the Salvation army, I learned how to be the example of a leader and I improved my speeding skills. I also enjoyed the laid back environment. Our shifts were usually smooth and quick.
Stressful
Supervisor (Former Employee), Southgate, MIJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Good benfits
Cons: They dont care about their employes
Running the line having to put out 2800 pieces of clothing in 7 hours could never start on time due to other factors To lead my crew but also respect them as a person The managers of the store were great the district manager did things she shouldn't have! My co-workers were amazing!! The hardest part of the job was discipline of my co-workers when I felt most everyone was doing their job and management disagreed. I did not enjoy this job at all !!
Very fun and productive place to work.
Laundress (Former Employee), Montgomery AlJuly 28, 2015
Pros: great place to work, cant say nothing bad about it
Cons: none
love it, love it , love it this is a wonderful place to work. I started out as a volunteer an ended up working for the company for the summer it was only for a little while because the job was seasonal. But it was still great.
Cool place to work
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Pontiac, MIJuly 28, 2015
I enjoyed working as a bell ringer, the salvation army does a lot for people and I liked being part of their team. They also have nice people that work there.
my time at salvation army
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee), Monroe, MIJuly 28, 2015
It was a work experience job to see if i would be good at burnishing and mopping floors. A typical day at work was about 6 hours long and 4 days a week.
just another day
Volunteer food pantry (Former Employee), Waterloo,IAJuly 28, 2015
it was a fun and out going day with the kids always learned something new every day meeting new pepole. it was up leafting and active.
Fun place to work Greeting
Bell Ringer, Campaign Promoter (Former Employee), Reidsville, NCJuly 28, 2015
Holiday Seasonal Job Great customer service skills and having the Holiday spirit Collecting Money to help with children get Toys for Christmas
Morale is very low
Call Center Lead Staff/ Supervisor (Current Employee), Long Beach, CAJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Christian organization
Cons: low wages, no medical benefits
No consistency regarding implementation of rules and regulations, big management turn over, no room for advancement.
All about helping
Volunteer (Former Employee), Fort PierceJuly 27, 2015
My time with the Salvation Army gave me the opportunity to help myself and help others. I enjoyed that I was allowed to cater to the public and help with those in need.