The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 3,533 reviews matching the search
Nothing but a work house.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 28, 2017
No pay to speak of. One supervisor I worked with (and valued) had worked at the S/A for 16 years, and had yet to make more than $10/hr. A total scam with the label of a church. Those coats you donate every winter? Not given to the needy, sold for the bottom line.
Overall it was just an okay place to work.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 28, 2017
Responsible for cleaning and sanitizing the restrooms, hallways, recreation room, dining room and other designated areas of the center. Also gathered and emptied trash throughout the center. Management was only visible when they had a complaint and the culture was tense and no opportunities for advancement. I enjoyed the hours and cleaning but did not particularly like the atmosphere.
Doing the most good for the community
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2017
A typical day consist of canvassing areas for potential housing for clients. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help those in need. The hardest part is getting caught in traffic.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Covering the entire City of Chicago
Awesome job
Lifeguard, Counselor, Ropes Course Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tahlequah, OKApril 27, 2017
I worked at a camp for 2 summers in a row and I loved every second of it. You have to like working outdoors and with people of all age groups and backgrounds and doing that was a lot of fun.
Rewarding work
Director of Programing (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 26, 2017
Working for The Army has given me a wide range of opportunities for growth in many areas as well as professional.
I am proud to be a part of this organization.
Pros
You get to meet all types of people
Cons
You feel you cannot say no to what you are asked to do sometimes
Very good organization to work work
Executive Director - Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIApril 26, 2017
I was responsible for 5 employees, in the Human Resources Department. My responsibilities was the overall direction and initiatives for the entire Division. This included 700 employees off season and 1400 during the Christmas season.

The workplace culture of The Salvation Army was a very good experience. The most difficult part of the job was not being able to offer more employees full time employment with benefits.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being help to assist employees and supervisors solve issues and problems.
Pros
very good Health Care Plan
Cons
Not enough full time jobs to offer part time employes
Summer Experience
GM Clerk (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIApril 26, 2017
This was my very first job working in retail as a teenager. The experience was awesome. I got to see the meaning of giving back to the community while assisting others who had nothing to live for without clothes or food. It was amazing to be able to sale clothes and also provide clothes the homeless
Not what you would expect for a Non-Profit Organization
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNApril 26, 2017
Management changed there mind several times in one day. Management does not have your back. There was employees that were selling, doing and dispensing drugs and yet still maintained there jobs. Management was not on board with complying with the program. HR person was a self proclaimed "witch" and lived up to the reputation. Management worked with a skeleton crew, and advised me not to ask for extra help. When it came time to do room checks, Management would scream at me for not having another employee with me.

Management did not understand the concepts of Social Work and social justice. This place was swarming with drug users and most of them was the employees. Not a good social work experience. I left before my reputation was destroyed. Was told what to do by the monitors, kitchen staff, the receptionist and the HR/secretary.
When I mentioned this to management they would justify their actions in every way.
Pros
Cons
No set rules, no management support.
You are constantly learning in this job
CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Jasper, GAApril 26, 2017
It was absolutely and amazing to work with inner-city kids from ATL. For the job, I worked long hours and there was a lot of self-sacrifice; however, it has been the most rewarding job I have ever held.
Volunteer
Ministry Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 26, 2017
I was a volunteer with the Salvation Army. They have excellent care for their employee. They have many locations with a great diversity of workers anywhere you go.
Inconsiderate budget cuts low wages lack of care for working single mothers
Part-Time Intake Worker (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 26, 2017
My family life came into conflict with the minimal shifts that were offered. I worked there for 4 years. I applied for the 1st shift position 3 times and still got turned down for new hires with little or no experience..
Pros
helping people
Cons
lack of compassion towards employees
Fun Work Place
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 26, 2017
Fun Work Place. Their Donations is What Counts. Greeting All the Customers that walks in and out the store politely and How well you Enjoy doing the Job.
Pros
You might get a little cold standing outsude sometimes
Cons
Short Breaks
Great people
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Cocoa, FLApril 25, 2017
I stood for 8 hours a day 4 days a week in front of a business ringing the bell during christmas holidays to help raise money for the needy at the holiday time.
helped many people in need
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 25, 2017
there was a lot of standing in one spot outside and the weather was not always the best and the bell as loud giving me a bad head ache but people were happy and that is all that matters
Helping People Opportunities
Social Service Director (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 25, 2017
Working for the Salvation Army can be challenging, but also rewarding. Because it is non-profit salary is below the average in the same position at other agencies and companies.

Management needs more training in some locations but upper management is more qualified and helpful when approached.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
salary
Salvation Army
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 25, 2017
As one of the former worker from the Salvation army I would like to announce that the work environment is really beneficial. they run an afterschool program where they can provide help for students on homework, they provide activities for the kids in order to keep the program great. They also help people in so many different ways.
Long Hours
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2017
Long hours and hardly no reward in the social work department. Great to meet new people and helping out families. Other than that its a very straining job to work in.
Excellent Mission and care for people
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 25, 2017
The mission of the Salvation Army is second to none. The carrying out of the mission is also excellent. The workday is full of opportunities to minister/help people. If you desire an opportunity to work hard and impact lives for the good, The Salvation Army is the place to be.
Pros
Action packed days of ministry
Cons
Pay is acceptable, but not always the top for your skills.
A great experience with a good cause
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, GAApril 25, 2017
Everything was good with this temp job only wish i could do it all year. I learned how to distract myself from the stress of standing for long periods of time.
fun to work
Handler (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAApril 24, 2017
organize material deal with customers move pallets 1st shift fast pace enviorment over 150 people to work with there was alot of room for growth benefits and insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.