The Salvation Army
2,794 reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Fast pace work envirorment
clerk cashier (Current Employee), ft myers floridaJune 30, 2015
Cons: short breaks
While at work I help customers with pricing questions along with cashing customers out. Ive learned to make good use of my time get
things done and in a neat order. I work hard along side co-worker to achieve goal for the day. Hardest part of my job keeping the store neat and tidy.. Most enjoyable is customers reactions to good pricing and great workmanship..
productive and fun.
Bell Ringer/Greeter (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 30, 2015
Pros: I became my own boss.
Cons: I wanted to work mor hours.
I Really enjoyed this job.I was positioned infront of Walmart that was located on Harbison Blvd. I greeted each Patron with a smile. I graciouly thanked them 4 there donantions.I would happily do this job again
friendly enviorment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Peekskill, NYJune 30, 2015
came in counted register in. i learned to do returns. was giving a key to the store bank box and register. the hardest part ofthe job was dealing with all the responsability i was giving with lack of tittle. the ost enjoable part of my was was helping the customers
warm and welcoming
Social Service Director (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIJune 29, 2015
The hardest part of this job was when there was no funding left to help families that were in need. I was able to change peoples lives and see the smiles on their face.
Productive and busy work place,
Homeless Services Intake Worker (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJune 29, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: Part time work
Helped the homeless find placement. Help in daily needs such as health, work, finances, substances as well as fed them and maintained a working relationship with them.

Co-workers was nice to work with. To have a team you can work together and be a unite and a front for the company.

I enjoyed getting to know the clients and to learn about their lives and to be there for them. They knew that they could come talk to me and I did not judge them and I was there to help.
A good place to meet different people
Security Monitor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 29, 2015
monitored the people as well as watch over the building I learned that patience is key in any job. Management was good and they cared about you as well. The co-workers were nice they we friendly and they helped you
Needs something new.
Program Teacher (Former Employee), New Albany, IndianaJune 29, 2015
Over all this job wasn't to bad, it provided me with a summer job. However, I do believe it needs to be managed a different way. I did not like the way employees where treated as people.
Productive in every , perfectionist
Route Driver (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJune 28, 2015
Providing drug rehab for the community with many other programs, they also provide low cost home furnishing and cloths for low income people,very differcult job do to the type of work.
Relaxing environment and a fulfilling experience
Food pantry assistant (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 28, 2015
Pros: good environment, friendly employees always willing to help
Cons: nothing, it's perfect!
I didn't work here, i volunteered. But as a volunteer i can definitely say that it was a nice place to help others and while being in a cool, people friendly environment.
Great Job
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 27, 2015
Good job to help out people in need. Hardest part in working in the rain or when it's freezing cold. Seeing which people are kind enough to give than others.
safe and fun enviroment for childern and adult to enjoy while swimming, exercising, playing basketball.
Assistant Facilities Manager (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJune 26, 2015
Pros: discounted membership, friendly enviroment
Cons: lack of skilled employees within department, unequal work/life ballence
my job entails overseeing a 96,000 sq building to make sure it runs smoothly and efficiently. I manage five permanent employees of the salvation army along with five contracted cleaning employees. I organize and over see any contracted work that is done at the facility.
I enjoy working with the community and knowing I could better the live of a individual my simply keeping the facility operating. the most difficult part of my job would have to be taking necessary disciplinary action on a employee
boring and repetitive
Social Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Portsmouth, OHJune 26, 2015
Pros: good hours
Cons: uniforms
Long hours on your feet, short breaks. Repetitive duties, The co-workers was really nice and helpful. Hardest part of the job was learning how to use the cash register.
Wonderful work place
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Mesa, AZJune 25, 2015
Being able to interact with people and help others is amazing. co-workers was caring and great to work with. The hardest part of the job was watching the people face when they didn't have money to donate.
I meet a lot of people.
Bell ringer (Former Employee), Pendleton, ORJune 25, 2015
Pros: I meet a lot of people
Cons: It was really cold at times.
I was a bell ringer , and I greeted all the people that would walk by me with a smiley face and said happy holidays. I really like this job.
Very Productive Work
Cashier/On the floor (Former Employee), Pembroke Pines, FLJune 25, 2015
This job was a very productive, My duties were helping the customer find what they needed, helping on the floor, such as cleaning hanging cloth, shoes, etc.
Fast paced work environment with many facets to the job.
CFAP Coordinator (Former Employee), Jamestown, New YorkJune 24, 2015
Pros: Enjoy the work.
Cons: Poor compensation for the work load.
Very large food pantry with an average of 45 households per day. This would include conducting intake and financial eligibility. Also case managed clients for other financial assistance such as utility, travel, clothing, furniture, medical and other special needs were addressed on an individual basis. Multi tasking is a must!! Management is inconsistant due to the organizational structure. The co-workers are dedicated to their work and the mission of the organization. Somewhat difficult to adapt to managements ever changing expectations of the work. Helping the clients is the most enjoyable part of the work.
Fun environment to work in.
Youth care worker (Current Employee), wichita , ksJune 24, 2015
Pros: clients are sleep
Cons: staying up all night
To check on clients every 15 minutes to make sure everyone is accounted for. I make copies of varies paper work. I prepare paper work for the next shift to complete, I do laundry, make sure the living are is clean and disinfected.
Monitor of a homeless shelter
Monitor (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLJune 23, 2015
Do admissions and discharges on residents as needed. Observe all residents complete daily chores. I prepared and cooked all meals while on duty. Answered all calls, kept shelter clean and up to inspection regulations. Did all shelter laundry.
salvation army
customer service / cashier (Former Employee), paradise caJune 23, 2015
it started out as a ok place and fun to work at then the switched managers and moved location .. i had a hard time w new managment and big boss... putting me down and yelling at me in front of customers , not ok in my book .Id go to work in tears becouse of the way i was treated and then id come home and be a mess ..
Transitional at best on the retail level
Bric Processor/Production (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJune 21, 2015
Pros: Vacation, and PTO hours
Cons: no career advancement, lack of communication between upper management and employees, gossip, low pay, extreme working conditions
Bad working conditions, high level of stress on meeting production goals, and half trained management, including regional, made this one the worst places I have ever worked. The pay is minimum wage, and if you work part time, you'll be lucky if you get 20 hours a week. I was there almost 7 years and did not even make $8.50, and I technically was a supervisor in all but name.

There is a very high turn over rate at this company and they treat their recovering drug and alcohol abusers like they are mentally challenged. These people have a disease where they've depended on drugs and alcohol, they're not stupid.

If you are looking for a job to be able to pay off some bills (barely) until you can find something else, great, go for it. They do have pretty good vacation hours and PTO. But if you're looking at this company for a career, I would advise to keep searching.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Salaries

Monitor
$8.71 per hour

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others