The Salvation Army

3.4K reviews

The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 2,621 reviews matching the search
Rewarding
Lead Case Manager/Shelter Manager (Current Employee) –  Balsam Lake, WINovember 29, 2015
I have learned a lot of things since I started here; I have been able to work my way up the ladder to a managerial position by being willing to learn new ways to improve my abilities to make a difference for the company and the clients and how to work with a diverse population of people and improve their lives by teaching them new skills or improving their daily skills and how to make better, healthier choices, so they don't end up homeless again. I have met some amazing people while working with this population and have learned new things from them as well. I have also learned that on some of my worst days where I felt overwhelmed and stressed out and felt like I didn't belong there I have gotten a letter, phone call or a visit from a past client thanking me for changing their life or saving their life and that makes the job rewarding to know you made a difference in someones life. As far as co-workers go, I feel it is important to have good team players so our jobs are done more efficiently and have better results and out comes for the clients. The hardest part of my job is having people fail or end up going back to their old ways which made them homeless in the first place. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching a client change right before your eyes and knowing you are a part of that.
Pros
Meeting new and and interesting people.
Cons
Not enough hours in the day to get everything done that you need or want to do.
Entering a Christian Workplace?
Seasonal Warehouse Full Time (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 7, 2012
Thank God this was only a 90 day assignment because some workplaces are not cut out for everybody regardless of their faith. It is hard to define what a typical day was because for some employees it could be anything, one could stay in a work corner for 8 hours or get moved around from spot to spot every hour, or even go out on a truck as far as 70 miles(Watertown) and back from main warehouse.
The 2 things one would need to survive in this environment are;
1. Flexibility- although everybody has preferences it would be wise
not to get too attached to any position because one
could be assigned to another position on the drop of a
hat.
2. Personability- its natural for us to bond to certain types of people
better than others but if one really wants to make it
there they should be aware there are people in the
Adult Rehab Center from all different backgrounds and
be ready to get out of their comfort zone, and propose
in their heart whoever they work with they are going to
have a good day.
If you believe you have mastered these 2 things you probably would have a much more enjoyable time than I did, and maybe even qualify for a permanet full/part time position. If not, I would'nt want to discourage anybody but this may not be for you.
Pros
okay if you're between permanent jobs, or interested in ministry
Cons
no security, values are not shared by all christians, careful what you say even in joking
Golden opportunity to change lives for the good.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2012
A typical day at work includes counseling individuals, couples, adolescents or children, case review meetings with the Program Director and Case Manager, and collateral meetings in the form of casual conversations with clients in facility.

The most profound thing that I have learned from my work at the Lambuth Family Center is that no matter how desperate a family may appear and no matter what they communicate in terms of need, if they are not ready for change and willing to engage in a process of change, no lasting change can happen.

The management and my co-workers to an exceptional job in caring for and providing services for the families at the transitional housing facility. They are grossly underpaid and over worked, but manage to keep positive, caring attitudes in spite of the challenges.

The hardest part of my job is seeing how emotional and spiritual brokenness translates into broken lives, and how the brokenness of adults spills over onto their children--in spite of good intentions.

The most enjoyable part of my job happens when someone comes to us ready for change and engages in the process. It is deeply satisfying to watch a life that is desperate and broken become joyful, healed and full of hope.
Pros
- seasoned social works organization with a depth of experience and a wealth of knowledge
Cons
the hours are long, and the pay is minimal.
Utilizing my Skills in Childcare
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXMay 4, 2015
I worked for the Salvation Army for two years in their Boys and Girls Club. The hardest part of my employment with this company was the chronic shortness in staff. I lead and headed a variety of programs during my time with the Boys and Girls Club, but continually felt unsupported by my directors and supervisors. Despite this lack of support, I respected and sincerely liked my directors. They worked hard and they encouraged, and respected me; but they were also flooded with responsibilities and activities to head. This job was challenging and difficult, yet I was able to utilize a variety of skills in childcare. I sought to give my absolute best to the kids involved in my activities and programs. I developed lesson plans, headed activities, utilized a variety of technology in my classroom, and maintained control in my classroom. I would lead activities for 25 kids to 100 kids within a room. Continually throughout my time with this company, I would seek my supervisor about how I could improve myself as a caregiver and my activities. I was fortunate to have worked with such great, hardworking people while at the Salvation Army. It was difficult leaving my coworkers and supervisors; mostly, though, it was hard telling goodbye to all the kids I had in my care over the years.
Pros
Challenging, utilized skills in childcare
Cons
Understaffed, underpaid
Poor, unprofessional work environment
Center employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasFebruary 6, 2015
The work environment at the Houston (Hemphill) location is poor and unprofessional. The Salvation Army officers do not foster inclusion. In other words, there is a great deal of fighting between those from different ethnic backgrounds ( Hispanics versus African Americans), socioeconomic backgrounds (highly compensated paid Salvation Army officers versus low paid regular employees), loyalists (those that do whatever the Salvation Army officers want done whether ethical or unethical versus those that are by the books), etc.

If you work there and they dislike your personality (Perhaps you are someone that cannot ignore the Salvation Army officers continually taking expensive donated items home for their personal profit), then they will just simply fire you. The reason will be layoff.

Since they "classify" themselves as a "church", then you are NOT ENTITLED TO UNEMPLOYMENT. Churches are not required to pay for unemployment and the Salvation Army does not participate in unemployment. When you are fired, you leave there with nothing. No unemployment. If you live paycheck to paycheck, then good luck in finding a new job as soon as possible. If you are a good person, the Salvation Army doesn't care about you.
Pros
the poor, unhealthy rehab clients that work 80 hours a week
Cons
poor work environment and no respect for truly good people
Safe and creative environment for children
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Madison, FLFebruary 16, 2013
A typical day at work would consist of a very precise schedule based around campers' interests and planned activities. The day would begin with a testimony by one of the camp counselors and other activities in which the campers gained a better understanding of the Christian religion. Then, we would separate the campers into small groups where we would teach them the fundamentals of playing musical instruments. After some time we would feed the campers and allow them to socialize before taking a nap for a short time. Then the campers would all join into one unified group to perform musical numbers from their supplemental readings. Through this constant communication with campers of a wide variety of ages, ranging from 7 to 14, I was able to learn valuable communication skills and they helped to develop my customer service skills. I worked closely alongside 5 other camp counselors which i grew strong relationships, and friendships, with.The hardest part of the job was having to punish the campers if they had misbehaved; however the most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction that was gained from hearing how much they have improved with your teaching over such a short period of time.
Pros
free lunch included, overtime, avg pay of $800 every paycheck
Cons
tons of energy required to keep up with campers
my goal was helping others in their time of need, daily
Social Work Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, INAugust 21, 2013
A typical day at work started with going to the bank, from there i would set up the cash drawer to start the day. We opened the thrift store & food pantry daily @ 9:00am. Every Wednesday was a big Sale day. Fill a brown bag $7.00. Fun upbeat atmosphere, always plenty to do stocking shelves in the food pantry, replenishing shelves in the thrift store. A experience to meet people in the community. My co-workers and i would break for lunch at the same time to eat together, sometimes doing a carry in(i love to cook). The hardest part of my job was wanting to help others in need, and knowing by their information they provide to me they havent been truthful. The Salvation Army allows alot of flexiable guidelines in terms of food assistance. So when there is a need i always tried to assist. Working for The Salvation Army was a great way for me to branch out and network with leaders in my community to assist local residents. What a great place to work, i would do it again. I became so familiar with my clients that when they would call i could address them by name before they had the chance to say who was calling. I made them feel like i cared, understood their needs, and we were on the path to correcting anything i could assist with.
Pros
networking in my community to help others
Cons
budget cuts lead to me seeking work elsewhere
New and acceptable
Seasonal Helper (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CADecember 10, 2014
I get to work on time. I put on my required business apron and grab the kettle for donations, along with the bell. I stand outside greeting customers and ringing my bell. Smiling while asking customers if they like to donate and goodbyes in thank you, God bless, Merry Christmas and happy holidays. I gotten ten minute breaks, so I usually would use 5 minutes to do personal duties and just go straight back to work. For 8 hours working, I proceeded waiting for my supervisor to come and tell me when it is time to go home.
I enhanced my learning in customer service with first and ending meets in greetings. Also, that people really care about others having a wonderful holiday. The Management was very nice they gave me a job! Actually the hiring manager was out on business so the hiring manager that hired me was a substitute. I had no co-workers and really wasn't nothing hard about the job it was easy going. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job was, honestly, the whole job. I enjoyed waking up and getting ready to go to work. I enjoyed getting to work, on time was more nice. I enjoyed the job I was working for and what the job was in for too. I enjoyed seeing people really showing support and care to there donations. The whole me apart of Salvation Army was wonderful.
Pros
truth is all the duties and work i got to do
Cons
it was a temporay job (accepted)
This was a tempory position for the charity's holiday annual donation drive.
Administrative Assistant/Christmas Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMOctober 10, 2012
There is not one thing I could say negative about this job experience. I would report to work at any time the supervising officers needed. I would take donation kettles to employees that were hired to ring bells at local businesses, at the end of the day, I would collect kettles with the daily donations. During the day I would input demographic information about community patrons needing food, utility or clothing assistance and input information into a computer, I would assist Salvation Army staff in answering phones, at the end of each day I would assist the supervising officers with counting money donations from daily donations from bell ringer locations, all duties previously mementioned were the basic daily routine, but not limited to duties described. I learned a lot about charities and how they work in our communities. I had few co-workers, but I had co-workers that worked, including myself, as a team to accomplish the motive of the Salvation Army, which is to assist the community. I loved this job. I cannot think of anything that I did not like about this position. I moved away from the town I was living in and I was not available to continue on with another holiday season.
Always Fun
Furniture Mover (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 4, 2015
I would work on a moving truck and work with my partner moving furniture out of peoples house or sometimes even help move a piece of furniture to another location in the house. My co-worker and me would greet the person we were taking the furniture from and hand would hand them a receipt with what they were donating on it, so they could use it for tax purposes. Sometimes we would be moving furniture out of homes for hours and then go to the next home to move more. In a typical day we would move anywhere from 8-25 tickets a day.( tickets being the receipts for people donating) We moved entertainment centers of all sizes, TV's of all sizes, desks, couches, beds.(ect...) We may have to go up to thrid story apartments and carry couches and tvs up and down stairs for 30 minutes to an hour straight. But working with my partner all day was a lot of fun because we became really good friends. We met really nice people with interesting backgrounds and stories. We traveled anywhere within a 1-2 hour radius of the Salvation Army warehouse. Then we would have to off-load the furniture with anywhere from doing it by ourselves to having three people help us and then would distribute the donations throughout the warehouse which i would see alot of my friends while running a piece of furniture down to a location.
Challenging and rewarding work
Officer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 6, 2014
Pros: Housing and furnishings were included, as well as a vehicle
Cons: Being a wife and a woman, the practice of the Salvation Army back then was not to pay any Social Security in the woman's name.
Spending the day at the office, answering phones, planning for the weekly children's and woman's programs. I also prepared for the weekly Sunday School lesson, or an occasional sermon. I would help organize volunteers for the soup kitchen. My co worker included my husband and any volunteers who were available at the time

The most enjoyable part about the job was guiding men, women and children towards a relationship with God. I particularly loved cooking for the soup kitchen and then going out and sitting down with the people and chatting with them, sharing their joys and sorrows. I also loved doing the women's program. I got to use my creative talent by showing the women how to do crafts or to cook simple snacks

The challenge and hardest part of the job was only being assigned at a Salvation Army Church for 3 years or so and then being reassigned to a different one, the usual practice
Pros
housing and furnishings were included, as well as a vehicle
Cons
being a wife and a woman, the practice of the salvation army back then was not to pay any social security in the woman's name.
Provided one on one Substance Abuse Counseling & Case Management to 7 beneficiaries
House Mother (Current Employee) –  Saugus, MAFebruary 12, 2015
I would check in with my supervisor, then meet with the beneficiaries one on one. Assess and monitor their care, issues, concerns and recovery process. Teach life skills, Introduced 12 step program, gave homework assignments for beneficiaries about changes in their way of life. Assessed how treatment benefited them or not.
Facilitated Doctor appts, court dates, spoke with probation officers, provided documentation on progress.
How to do Psych-social, Progress notes.
Followed up with Staff members to ensure beneficiaries concerns etc were followed through.
I learned how to work effectively with a multicultural group of men and how they differ in the recovery process.
Management was cohesive and worked effectively to ensure beneficiaries growth, spirituality, work therapy, social skills all aspects of each beneficiaries life was dealt with through weekly staff mtgs.
The hardest part of job, was when beneficiaries left the program with out completion.
The most enjoyable was the interaction between the beneficiary and myself working through the recovery process.
Pros
friendly staff/beneficiaries- cohesive work environment-same goals
Cons
would of like to run groups, not enough time.
Productive, busy, fun to work at great people.
Assistant Manager/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 4, 2015
A typical day at work was to come in at 8am to open or 12pm to close. If i was to come in at 8am my task was to open the store, set up the cash registers for the cashiers for the day, check any incoming emails we got overnight or that morning. Then after I did that I was to hold a store meeting to tell the employees their tasks for the day and what was expected out of them as well as the previous days sale goals and present day. I then overseed the store and helped in whatever area that needed help. At 12pm I was to go to the bank to deposit the previous nights deposit and also get change for the rest of the night for the cashiers. I would also ring up on the cash registers if help was needed. If i came in at 12pm my task was to swith out the opening cashiers out with the closing cashiers for the night. I was then to watch the store and ring up on drawers if needed. I was to make sure the store was clean and send in the days numbers then close the cashiers drawers down. Then close the store and lock it up. I learned how to manage a team, make bank deposits, and to open and close a store. Our management team was great and all on one accord. The hardest part about my job was was being a perfectionist. The most enjoyable part was helping the customers.
A sad situation to see a District Manager putting down a MAJOR
I was Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NHApril 5, 2014
I was a Manager of a store. Loved people and I cared. We'll find out that is not what Salvation Army was all about in out town. Our District Manager was a lier, a cheat, very non caring about customers, employees and our Major! I am apauld of her behavior and actions whist our Major and his wife are going through a medical crisis at home. I went to our monthly Managers meeting and met our Major, I respected him greatly, until I was not aloud to meet or talk with him. He needs to know and see how many employees at 1 small store have walked out or left due to her bullying and belittling actions. This is sad as it effects the public, family's, friends and the Salvation Army Church just across the street. I myself really gained nothing from this experience, when the losses were well above the gains! My heart goes out to everyone that has been devastated by this District Manager. PUBLIC BE WHERE. We donate our items to a very sketchy organization. Not all items are given or sold in this country to benefit our Country right here at Home.. The USA! Many cover ups!
Pros
to see how hard my employees worked for me and there care for the customers!
Cons
non security. if someone above doesn't like you, our are told to"find a way to get rid of them"
Experiencing the wonders on donations
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMay 25, 2013
Meet at the salvation army at 8 o'clock am get kettle, bell, apron, time sheet, and find out locations. Gather up and get into the van a be taken to our destination by 8:30am or 9 o'clock(depending on destination). Stand and ring the bell for about 2 hours and then take a 15 minute break stand for another 2 to 2 and a half hours and a lunch break.Stand another 1 and a half then another break.After that stand another 2 hours and a dinner break and stand another hour or so and wait to be picked up and go home. I learned some people will give some wont. Some people are obligated to give or tell you they gave somewhere. Also kids love to put money in, they notice the bell ringers and say to mommy, daddy, or grandma i wanna put money in. Management was great we got along laughed and joked but when it was time to be serious it was serious. Co-workers were friendly i got along with everyone.I believe the hardest part was being pregnant and it being winter time. Other than that everything was easy. My most enjoyable time was seeing and knowing how bad kids wanted to give and some kids didn't know why i was standing there ringing the bell. Either i explained why or the parent explained why.
Pros
experiencing the giving
Cons
so cold
Enjoyable Place to Work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Watertown,NYJanuary 19, 2016
As with any place you work, or choose NOT to work, it is what YOU make of it. If you come to work thinking you can stand around and talk all day/night to your coworkers then it's no one's fault but your own if you don't like your job. Go somewhere that makes you happy. You are there to perform a job that YOU are getting paid for. Not to complain and whine about all your problems in life. It gets OLD. Leave it at home. Being a part of a team means just that. Everyone needs to pull their weight to be on a winning team, not just a few people doing ALL the work and some do nothing but collect a paycheck. Suck it up and work. It makes MY job easier when you are willing to work. You might even find that we could be friends when you learn how to work. That's the problem with today's society. Too many FREE handouts and a sense of entitlement that we are paying for. As the saying goes, "sit down, shut up and enjoy the ride". No one ever said that life was gonna be easy. If you can live by these standards, why would there be any issues at any job? Me? I LOVE my job and hope to be there for a L O N G time. Keep smiling and keep those feet moving....productively!
Pros
Fast Paced, Diversified Duties, Never Ending Treasure Hunt, Pay Check
Cons
Loose Lips, Idle Feet, Clock Watchers
Organization that does good things for people but treats their workers like dirt.
Bell Ringer (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GADecember 17, 2012
Don't expect to be paid anything here. They are aiming for the hardout and desperate, and that's what they get. They aim for those people just so they can treat them like dirt. Management does not "hold up their end of the bargain" so to speak. You and your bucket are supposed to be picked up by 8PM at the very latest. This was a daily problem with even one time a whole route was out and out forgotten. They also give you a number in case there is a problem, however, they never have anyone to answer that line. I mentioned it to the main guy who said he would take care of it and yet nothing was done. They have two things they need to do, and they can not even do those correctly. Still, I would suggest working for this company, or one like it, if for nothing else but the experience. Seeing people day after day give money to help others is a remarkable thing and can really help out ones frame of mind. A must for us cynics.
Pros
genuinely proud to do work that helps people, won't lose your job unless you really deserve it, sometimes they have coffee
Cons
management is bordeline incompetant, treated like dirt, no opportunity for advancement or even part after seasonal job.
This job has a great feat to accomplish, and were successful in its endeavor
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 27, 2013
Set and assist apointments daily for Finanicial assistance as well as emergency assistance in a timely fashion. Call companies, Landlords etc about payment and options to prohibit client from any indigent situation. Make calls to other help agencies, Red Cross and churches for possible assistance.... distribute food and vouchers for clothing if requirements were met during interview. Maintain daily, weekly,monthly reports for both the Superviser and Help agency Meetings. Train staff for Emergency Assistance and Financial Assistance for in county and out....
What I've learned from this position is that poor/homelessness and check to check individuals is more unending than you know.
Management has a memorable place in the lives of these individuals with needs and they worked well with them. My co-workers were a joy to work with and fairly easy to cross-train.
The hardest part of my job was to see repeated needs from same individuals and the most enjoyable part was that "I Just Enjoy Helping People".
Pros
there are alot of areas that the company could assist with
Cons
individuals were not there long enough to get grounded
The Salvation Army is a rewarding place to work.
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXMarch 20, 2015
A typical day of work at the Salvation Army During non holiday time, incudes answering phones, checking in clients, helping clients fill out applications, putting together food boxes, verifying information with landlords, utility companies. Working here I learned some Spanish, also that social security as well as the community (and up) do not think twice about our elder citizens.
The management was wonderful, and my coworkers were amazing. Management would arrange outings for us on the weekends for us to unwind and have some fun together, Both would go out of their way for you, and the clients as well.
The hardest part of the job was having to tell a client that we could not help them for one reason or another since helping others is just natural to me. The most enjoyable part of the job was the Angel Tree program. I love seeing all the caring people in the county pulling together to help kids from a lower income family. Seeing the kids light up with they came to pick up the gifts provided was very fulfilling.
Pros
getting to help out the less fortunate.
Cons
sometimes having to tell someone that we can't help, can be heartbreaking and stays with you awhile.
Productive and fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 19, 2014
*A typical day at work consists of the following: I would arrive at work at around 8 am. I would clock in and sit at the front desk to answer phone calls made to the community center. Meanwhile, the children would be in the gymnasium playing various games such as basketball, jump rope, etc. At about 9:00, I would go to the gymnasium to help the other counselors to get the children settled. Once the children are seated, the children would exercise on certain days immediately after, and on other days they would break off into different age groups and classrooms. One age group would go to the gymnasium, another would go to to the arts and crafts class in which I taught, and the other would go to the bible study room. The students would rotate to different classes every 45 minutes before and after lunch. Lunch time was around 12pm. On specific days, the half the age groups went on field trips after lunch, while the other stayed at the center with a couple counselors. Children had snack time in the evening at around 4 pm and played games until there parents picked them up.
Pros
lively, energetic, and fun atmosphere, full length lunch breaks
Cons
schedule was occasionally thrown off