The Salvation Army
2,468 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

Corps Officer
Corps Officer (Pastor and administrator) (Former Employee), Valdosta, GA, Sapulpa, OK, and Russellville, ARFebruary 17, 2015
The Corps Officer is the head pastor of the local unit in the appointed city. You wear many different hats in each location and each location is unique to the community that it serves.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Shelter Supervisor (Former Employee), Hampton, VAFebruary 17, 2015
I ENJOYED WORKING WITH THE DIFFERENT PEOPLE.I ENJOYED THE BENEFITS THE RESIDENTS RECEIVED FROM THE SALVATION ARMY THAT MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR THE RESIDENT TO ACHIEVE THERE GOALS.
best place to work
bellringer (Former Employee), Saratoga Springs, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: everything and everyone
i love the work all the way around i am very happy. the supperviser was amazing. the people you get to work with and meeting new people is awesome. i would love to go back to work for them.
i enjoyed my job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), North Providence, RIFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: nice staff
Cons: pay was low
it was nice working for salvation army, but the pay was low, little room for advancement , and they only hire part-time, and i needed more financially unable to stay there
Not bad for temporary employment, but I have other things to do.
Warehouse worker (Former Employee), Hyattsville, MDFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: different every day.
Cons: low pay, but that it not the point.
This was interesting. They do a lot of good work and help people. A lot of odd things come through from the donations to them. A variety of interesting items. Everything from furniture to old clothes and small electronics. The Salvation Army is a good place and help a lot of people.
Would not recommend to work for
Employee (Former Employee), Belton, MOFebruary 16, 2015
From upper management down, they do not look out for their employees or listen to what the workers have to say. When there is an issue, it is swept under the rug. When issues with management is brought up to district manager, they do not care to hear what the employees have to say and the employees are the ones who get in trouble.
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), New Castle, PAFebruary 15, 2015
so many different thing to do there like sorting, pricing ,hanging donated items running register. worked with great coworkers.
productive and a fun place to work
Auctioneer Supervisor (Current Employee), Canoga Park, CAFebruary 14, 2015
great co workers learn to be very disciplined and to work at fast paced... made me very experienced working in such a fast atmosphere
Lots of Army, little salvation
Manager of Operations (Former Employee), Litchfield, ILFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: you have a chance to help the less fortunate
Cons: complete disreagrd for the employees
Upper management is duplicitous, constantly changing rules (at times retroactively), and has little regard for its employees, viewing them as replaceable cogs.
Their view of store managers is disconcerting, to say the least; they expect store managers to be little more than glorified cashiers, yet at the same time manage the store, correct time cards, schedule and supervise employees, merchandise, process donations, manage cash reports, and increase the store sales.
Fun work place
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLFebruary 14, 2015
Worked in the warehouse
Kept a clean and organized work place
priced donations
stocked
made appointments for pick up
dispacthed pick ups to drivers
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALFebruary 13, 2015
When I volunteered at the Salvation Army, I felt helpful. I helped organized clothing and clean. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of satisfaction that I received from helping others. Every person that I worked with was encouraging and nice.
Interesting Place to Work
Closing Supervisor (Former Employee), Portsmouth, NHFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: good coworkers
Cons: minimum wage. hard to advance. no benifits
Always know what days are busy due to sale days. Learned management skills. Nice co-workers.

Only paid minimum wage. No benefits.
Very good work enviroment
Welder/Fabrication (Current Employee), Perris, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: my skills did not get rusty.
Cons: i can't think of any at the time.
I enjoyed working here and again was able to utilize my skills here.I'm very grateful to be able to fabricate and weld for them. Thankyou Sally!!!
Supportive and Inspiring workplace.
Maintenance Technicain (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAFebruary 12, 2015
I learned how to asess and address requests. I would start the day by reviewing projects and making sure nothing new popped up, then go about repairing or installing things in a mostly remodeling environment. I feel the hardest part was the criticism but it helped me better myself and my skills.
always a happy enviorment
Cashier (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: 2 15 minute breaks and 1 lunch 30 minute break
Cons: no cameras
Typical day i was on register most of the day. I learned to make the best of your job even if someone else cant follow through with theirs. Management was great. All my co workers worked as a team. Hardest part was working after lunch. Best part was making customers smile.
fun and productive
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short break
A typical at work was fun and productive.
I learned to manage my time wisely.
The hardest part of this job is the rude people.
it was fun working for them
Bell ringer (Former Employee), davenport, IaFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: help the children
Cons: short breaks, cold
i really enjoyed the work. the only thing i didnt like doing was the cold. so i would bundle up but it was really cold. i enjoyed doing it because it was my first job but i helped the children.
family store
Clothing Sorter (Former Employee), Temple, PAFebruary 12, 2015
good place to work. It non profit organization. People would go donate unwanted items constantly. Great prices for items
Sorter (Former Employee), Sumter, SCFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no pay
Things I have learned while being there was how to put clothes in color-coordination and pricing items for their worth. The co-workers are wonderful they really know how to get you going. The hardest part of the job is when you have to tag the clothes and finding comfortable shoes to wear for the concert floors. Also the enjoyable part about the job is everyone come together as one to help out customers and other co-workers.
Manager (Current Employee), Marysville, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Satisfying customer needs.
Balancing your life with work pressure, travelling and personal.
Co-workers give a lot of respect and always wanting to get work done without supervision.
The hardest part would be that when there is limited or not enough merchandise to put on the sales floor.
To see your customers going out of the store happy.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos