The Salvation Army
1,748 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

enjoyed the people
Clerk (Former Employee), Ogdensburg, NYApril 10, 2014
Pros: different needs for clients daily
Cons: captians change every 3-6 yrs
I would clock in and make sure that the building was clean

I would then file papers that did not get done from the day before

I would make food boxes if needed

make copies of reports and make sure that the food order was sumited on time.

Sorted and hung out donations that come in daily
clean work place
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Gary, INApril 10, 2014
Pros: helping the men learn how to work sober, giving them spiritual advice if wanted
Cons: playing broke, advancement is not by experance or ablitys!
My supervisor is top notch! He knows his job very well! The non profit part of the Salvation Army does not provide the proper budget to maintain this building property, He has to put up with that I don't!!
Good Job
Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Havre de Grace, MDApril 10, 2014
Ringing the bell to help needy families in the area was nice.
Great company
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Modesto, CAApril 9, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: season ends to soon
I enjoyed working with the Salvation Army and helping people. It made me feel like I was making a differnce in peoples lifes.
It's ok
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Pontiac, MIApril 9, 2014
A typical work day felt dragged out with hard work and minimal pay but you would typically meet some interesting characters throughout the day.
I enjoyed the job &helping the homeless, in anyway that I could.
Lodge Monitor/Cook/Counselor (Former Employee), 300 Webster Ave Waco, TX 76706April 9, 2014
Pros: was allowed to cook what i felt was nutricious and healthy for all people.
Cons: was only allowed to work 29 hrs/week, and put in at least 40 to 50 hrs/ week.
I was taught to be a caring person and to be courteous and treat people with respect and dignity no matter the circumstances. But when management is rude and disrespectful towards their employees I will not work in an environment of that type, so I voluntarily terminated my employment.
Good Job if you like working with people
Administrative Assistant/ Social Worker (Former Employee), Lancaster, CAApril 9, 2014
Pros: always busy
Cons: the location was small
I loved this job, I love helping people, and I love being able to lift peoples spirits . I had a lot of low income families.
Enjoyable and a great experience
Cook (Former Employee), Hanford, CAApril 9, 2014
At the Salvation Army we first helped with recycling the boxes that were outside. Mopped and swept the floors in the dining area and set up tables and chairs. Also, helped prepare the food that was to be served at dinner.
God is a God of 2nd chances, the Army is not.
Corps Commanding Officer/ARC Administrator (Former Employee), from ME to NY, from NY to OHApril 9, 2014
Pros: variety of ministry/service opportunities
Cons: move to often, too concentrated on fund raising
Work is steady with fund raising, programs, property upkeep, employees, community events, public relations, volunteers, fiscal mgmt. Too much emphasis on fund raising and too little emphasis on the Spiritual side of things. No one pastors the pastor. As a CO or Administrator you move often - this can be very difficult. You inherit the former's officers – more... debt when you move to a new appointment. I resigned after nearly 20 years of service with my own issues. And my severance for 20 years was around 21k after taxes. I am still an ordained. Service from here will be from the pew. I love that the Lord Jesus is a God of 2nd chances. – less
Great, learned new skills.
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 9, 2014
Pros: three square meals a day.
Cons: working with donations. not everyone is clean.
The Salvation Army, saved my life. The Work Therapy program , is teaching men and women of various ages, race, color, creed and backgrounds, to come together and work as a team. With a common goal of doing the most good.
humble job
head chef and food service mgr (Former Employee), Albert Lea, MNApril 7, 2014
Pros: every day different
Cons: mind draining
working with people that have nothing ,and need a lot of your time
A good non-profit organization to work for, they do alot for former drug addicts, low income families as well as the community.
Payroll/Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHApril 6, 2014
A nice place to work, clean modern office, paid vacation, medical,dental and pension benefits.
the clients were the heart of this company
Case-Aide/Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 6, 2014
Pros: growth in the company
Cons: not being able to fix every problem
management and co-workers were good
I learned how to monitor a completely full wing of clients
the hardest part of the job was not being able to help a client
the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the smile of a client that you could help
loved working for them.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Kansas City, KSApril 6, 2014
Pros: we had a big place for my family and me
Cons: the neighborhood was not safe for my kids and they really didn't like the school they had to go to.
Did like working for them until they kicked my family and me out in the cold to make us homeless . We were supposed to be in a two year program but before they renewed our leases they said we had to move out.
exciting work environment
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee), las vegas nevadaApril 6, 2014
Pros: interacting with others
sorting through thousands of clothes. i learned the different brand names of clothes. my co-workers were girls in treatment. talking with the girls in treatment and listening to their stories of trials and tribulations brough empathy and compassion to my heart.
A sad situation to see a District Manager putting down a MAJOR
I was Store Manager (Former Employee), Rochester, NHApril 5, 2014
Pros: to see how hard my employees worked for me and there care for the customers!
Cons: non security. if someone above doesn't like you, our are told to"find a way to get rid of them"
I was a Manager of a store. Loved people and I cared. We'll find out that is not what Salvation Army was all about in out town. Our District Manager was a lier, a cheat, very non caring about customers, employees and our Major! I am apauld of her behavior and actions whist our Major and his wife are going through a medical crisis at home. I went to – more... our monthly Managers meeting and met our Major, I respected him greatly, until I was not aloud to meet or talk with him. He needs to know and see how many employees at 1 small store have walked out or left due to her bullying and belittling actions. This is sad as it effects the public, family's, friends and the Salvation Army Church just across the street. I myself really gained nothing from this experience, when the losses were well above the gains! My heart goes out to everyone that has been devastated by this District Manager. PUBLIC BE WHERE. We donate our items to a very sketchy organization. Not all items are given or sold in this country to benefit our Country right here at Home.. The USA! Many cover ups! – less
Fast paced up beat job environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee), Hammond, INApril 5, 2014
assisted customers with account info. Applied credits to accounts as needed. Trouble shooted equipment as well.
Standing outside of a store. Ringing a bell for 5 hours
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Wichita, KSApril 5, 2014
Pros: helping poor collect funds
Cons: standing in cold for 5 hrs straight
Standing outside of a store and ring a bell for five hours straight. If you live where it is cold, you better bundle up, because it can get really cold. The job is only seasonal for a few weeks from Thanksgiving to christmas
excellent
kitchen supervisor (Current Employee), Altoona, PAApril 4, 2014
great place for people to start getting their lives back together and make a difference in the community
great enviorment
Volunteer (Current Employee), Lodi, CAApril 3, 2014
Pros: free dinner and lunch
I enjoy working for The Salvation Army, they are nice people who care for others! I think the organization is a good thing to have and they should make more in other cities. They help the homeless and anyone else who needs help.

About The Salvation Army

Battling to provide social services, The Salvation Army is more than 4 million strong -- including some 3.4 million registered – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos