The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 3,335 reviews matching the search
Different type of work for me but learned about donating.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 14, 2017
Everyday there was always something different to do. I learned more about people donating clothes, furniture, household goods, books, kitchen appliances, etc. All the supervisors were so nice and helpful all the time. We all got along with each other. The hardest part of the job was seeing trucks come in with truck loads of goods. The enjoyable part of the job was seeing customers come in and buy clothes or whatever they would find that they could afford.
Gained Experience
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 14, 2017
I enjoyed all the gained experience I have obtained by working within this non-profit organization. I have met life long friends that continue to support my promotions.
Pros
Gained Experience
Cons
No benefits
Good job that has provided me with a lot of opportunites
Shipper and Receiver (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAFebruary 14, 2017
Good job just looking to advance in my field. Have allowed me to gain experience in all aspects of warehouse working. Good benefits. If your looking for a lot of room to advance in company probably not the best place to work.
productive
Peer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 14, 2017
All goals accomplished, able to reach all personnel consistently,the work hours are very good. The location of the working place is also in a good location.
Pros
FRIENDLY EMPLOYEES
Cons
NONE
Amazing Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZ 85635February 13, 2017
The management is amazing. A good, comfortable place to be. If going to school, they will help work around your schedule.
Fun and challenging place to work.
Security Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bell , CAFebruary 13, 2017
I worked graveyard and typically I made up rounds sheets for the day,posted them and did hourly rounds of the facility. I answered the phone and filled out forms for certain situations,such as maintenance requests, incident reports,client grievances, etc. I interacted with clients. Performed security client check in's including wanding,bag inspections, breathalyzing for alcohol, and urine testing for drugs. I also did med call (distributing of client medications).
I learned how to interact with many different types of people.I learned how to deal with different situations. Crisis situations did occur where I interacted with police and paramedics. I did not have any management duties, and the workplace culture was excellent.
The hardest part of my day was dealing with being short handed at times the most enjoyable part of the day is when clients get their ducks in a row and receive housing and the help they need.
Pros
The clients and fellow employees.
Cons
Changes in management.
A very fast pace and demaning job
Director of Recruitment & Intake (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 13, 2017
Typical day was fast track reading write-ups addressing protocol following up on direction giving to the staff I supervised. addressing clients concerns and rights. filling in when a counselor called off facilitating staff meetings, reviewing clinical notes and reviewing charts and signing off as the reviewer. trouble shooting and monitored security staff and putting out fires within the organization; also attending outside state meeting and writing reports about the meeting to discuss at the executive meetings.
Pros
paid inservice trainings, sick days, free lunches
Cons
fast track everyday
Great working environment plenty of opportunities to grow
Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAFebruary 13, 2017
A typical day as a retail manager job within this company often consists of maintaining a store environment that is a pleasant experience for customers by managing many employees simultaneously. Work begins fairly early in the morning, often before the retail location opens, and an 8- to 10-hour workday begins.I would handle a wide variety of routine tasks, such as writing reports; supervising employees; managing cash; ordering stock; handling schedules, payroll, and marketing and promotional roll-outs; and securing the store upon closing. In addition, a retail I would expect to deal with customer complaints, employee work delegation, staff shortages, equipment failures and other unexpected things that occur in a retail environment. On average,I may work as many as 50 or more hours per week.
Seasonal
Bell ringer (Former Employee) –  222 E.indiana aveFebruary 12, 2017
Help the homeless people who are in homeless shelter. I'm a fundraising for the use of the individual's.hardest part it was cold,and the fun part meet a lot of people.salvation army is also fun,I always been on time,and a hard worker.
Pros
Free cookies
Cons
Very cold outside
Review
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 12, 2017
I enjoyed working in this position. I had a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that I was able to help people in need. I would definitely do this job again.
High stress, low pay.
Shelter Monitor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYFebruary 12, 2017
The folks who run the place have big hearts.

That being said, you can expect the experience to be emotionally draining, psychologically taxing, and generally stressful. Combine that with the ole' 25 hour workweek (Thanks Obamacare!!) and low hourly wages, and you are looking at a temporary job at best. It will chew you up and spit you out.

That is the nature of working at a shelter, so brace yourself.
Pros
You feel like you are doing good...for a while.
Cons
You soon realise you are just enabling drug adicts and drunks, and things sour quickly from there. Low pay. Few benefits.
Wonderful place to be part of a team.
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 11, 2017
I have had a very good time working with this company. I made many wonderful connections with great people. The staff and the customers have all been very delightful.
cashier, clerk, receptionist, bookkeeping.
REHABILITATION CENTER AND ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, IL 60085February 10, 2017
cashier, receptionist, bookkeeping, store reports, daily reports, invoice, bill payments, customer service. the most enjoyable part of the job it was visiting the stores to make sure everything was working the right way.
Productive and fun place to work
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 10, 2017
A typical day at work, I get my 28 foot box truck ready. A person in the program rides with me. We get our route and go pick up donations, from peoples houses or there business. Sometimes the person riding with me is having a bad day, because they are in a rehabilitation program.Most often than not I will be able to give them words of encouragement and help them through their problems.
Pros
I get to help people save there lives
Enjoyable and hardest part
Cashier and stocker duties (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORFebruary 10, 2017
Most enjoyable part was helping customers in need in the community. The hardest part of the job was cleaning up after the harder to deal with customers. I learned how to work with people that were different than myself or lived a different lifestyle.
Pros
Helping people in need, co workers, making a difference
Cons
Cleaning up after customers before closing
Amazing work place.
Volunteer (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  MissouriFebruary 9, 2017
It was great. Just to do stuff for other people. The people were nice and very welcoming. Helped out if needed. There was never a problem it was very professional.
Pros
The people
balanced social activity
bell ringer (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GAFebruary 9, 2017
rigourous social constructs but very healthy for growth as an individual and very complex ethics but very well structured requires involvement and commitment
Very rewarding position
Social Service Coordinator Baldwin County (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALFebruary 8, 2017
Working with people and helping them with food, counselling, shelter, and the resources they need made this job exciting and most rewarding. I was sadden by the fact my office and position was the subject of reduction of work force in Baldwin County Alabama.
cusomer service
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 8, 2017
people person is what you have to be at this place. lots of work to do and never a dull moment in this enviroment .Management was great and enjoyed working there for the most part.
volunteer
JANITOR (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 8, 2017
donated my time to pay back what was given to me when using their services. Always helpful when needing help in regards to id birth certificate or any other area

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.