The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 9, 2017
I worked a short time at the Salvation Army. I enjoyed the job.However after I began there I had some personal family issues come up and I had to give notice. It had nothing to do with the job I really enjoyed the job and the atmosphere.
Poor mangment
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 9, 2017
The salvation army was difficult to work for most of the time, I felt as if the problems I had were never being addressed. The protocols for PT care were not followed due to management. You were given days off but you never knew how much you were given because they never let you know, when you tried to use it you couldn't because they were always short staffed. You would be approved for time off then last minute you were scheduled to work. When you told them you had that time off they cut your hours. When you worked hard you were just repaid for it by having to do everyone else's work as well.
Pros
Meaningful work to be done
Cons
not being treated fairly
The best experience ever
Driver/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 8, 2017
I think they are a very good people,always helping the community with diferents programs as Addiction, Shelters or helping to reeincorporate people to the society, and as they said DOING THE MOST GOOD, IS SOO TRUE am soo glad to have The Salvation Army as a family,only temporary job for now but praying to God to been employed by then in the sooner future AMEN
Pros
Helping people and good healt insurance and benefice
Cons
some people said not the best salary, but am goo not all is about Money
Nice place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 8, 2017
I loved working here plus the great benefits. I was really long hours but besides that it was great. The customers kept a smile on my face. The environment was very smooth and professional.
Pros
free clothing
Cons
short staff
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 8, 2017
Salvation Army is a good place to work for seasonal jobs like for Christmas because the company can help people with donating toys, clothes, and Radios, CD Players, as well a food.
Pros
Receiving money donations
easy going job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTNovember 8, 2017
my job was fairly easy and fun to do , only during sales day or in rushes was it ever hectic . I very much enjoyed my time there and i would recommend it to anyone i know who likes a laid back type of work environment and/or thrift shopping.
Pros
easy
Cons
not many benefits
Workplace culture
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 7, 2017
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table.
A typical day at work starts at 6:00am and ends at 4:00pm
The most enjoyable part of the job is that we get to enjoy a free lunch.
Good to gain work skills as cdl or forklift plus everyone is blessed and love to help you or others.
CDL A Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 7, 2017
friendly and positive with paid breakfast, lunch, and dinner. you get what you put in plus they treat all there employees like family and train you for other positions like forklift or truck driving
Pros
free lunches
Productive and Fun
Assistant Youth Director (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 7, 2017
Work day assignments are discussed after that we discuss topics in news, sports, and other conversations. I have learned teamwork is so important in getting a job done. The workplace is great and the hardest part is seeing the kids go home because most of time they really want to stay.
Pros
Directors vision for the program and the support from the organization
Cons
more up to date equipment is needed
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 7, 2017
It was a great place to be of service to my local community while being able to grow in my faith. My supervisor was absolutely awesome and I would recommend this company for anyone looking for a fresh start.
Salvation Army help many lives.
Assistant Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 7, 2017
Salvation Army provides a lot of services for people in need who have fallen on hard time. I learned that each day working there that my job was important and it made a difference.
Pros
Helping others
It was okay.
Manager (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 7, 2017
The store environment was at times relaxing and fun, but other times very hectic and frustrating. Corporate wasn't very friendly to new ideas. I feel that I wasn't compensated fairly, because when I received a promotion, my salary wasn't adjusted. The most enjoyable part was my employees; I got along with them and we had a great time working together.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Poor compensation and lack of corporate support
Good
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 6, 2017
Little closed minded. Focus on rules not what was being done. Again they walk past alot of talent by having this closed minded mindset. Salvation Army needs a rake drug through it. More open minded thinking
Confidential (Current Employee) –  ArizonaNovember 6, 2017
I love working for TSA. My boss is fantastic and understanding. My schedule is flexible and my co-workers are awesome. The only not so great thing is the pay but pay is low at most non-profits so that's not really a big deal. Overall, I would definitely recommend working here. It's been a great experience!
Do your research
House Counselor (Current Employee) –  Oak Park, ILNovember 5, 2017
Would like the opportunity to grow in my career, but I currently feel stuck in an environment that is stagnant and doesn't allow for personal or professional growth.
Pros
Association with a magnificent, well respected organization.
Cons
Low compensation
I would not recommend Salvation Army as a healthy environment to work in
CASE MANAGER/PREVENTIVE (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 4, 2017
My personal experience was not a healthy one so much difficulties on the poor management skill of the directors and supervisors. The salary is horrible.
Pros
At least you got a job
Cons
Most unorganized place to for
I will work there again
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 3, 2017
I love working there anybody can do it put your heart and soul into it given to Our needy families and seniors and veterans and a disability help with
Pros
Very good job
Cons
I have none
Rewarding, good teamwork
Family Activity Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 3, 2017
The teamwork at the Family Activity Center within the Salvation Army was phenomenal, as well as the heart of people there, working hard for the kids. It is a stressful job at times, because of the unpredictablility of large groups of kids and limited help.
Pros
Teamwork of co-workers, rewarding, creative outlet, never a dull moment
Cons
low pay, limited budgeting for programs, stressful environment at times, no benefits
Poor management
Administrator of Clinical Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 3, 2017
I once loved my job at Sal Army but new management has changed that. There is not enough attention given to Clinical Services, more focus on other programs and that is impacting the morale.
Stressful
Assistant Manager/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 3, 2017
No support from management. Management reacted to underlings complaints, wasn't open to hearing both sides of story. Rarely got a full lunch break. Supervisors not consistent
Cons
short breaks, supervisors not supportive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.