The Salvation Army
2,669 reviews

The Salvation Army United States Employee Reviews

learned about pricing
Team member (Former Employee), Romulus, MIApril 22, 2015
cleaned priced and out out shoes and accessories. too much work for little money. no worthwhile advancement. needs major improvement in all aspects of the company
floor supervisior
floor supervisior (Former Employee), portsmouth n,h. 03801April 20, 2015
Pros: fun together when working
Cons: breaks are too short, no venting machines
A typical day at work is , greet the girls, the plans for the day or projects. Run clothes racks to the floor,make sure that the displays are all dressed. Greet the customers, see if they need help. Help the floor girls with any problems that might come up.Just have some fun with the work.
MY day would begin with a smile and good morning to my boss,then walk the floor to be sure we are ready for business
Dock janitor / Truck helper (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 20, 2015
Pros: I Learned design skills, without having any formal schooling.
Cons: healthcare......i was parttime and not elligible.no full time position for sales associates
Our team was small and close knit. Designer and associates worked closely together. Managers where always there to assist with a sale that just needed another voice to overcome objections....Greeting the customer at the door was the first thing that would take place. You can win a sale or lose it within the first 5 minutes of what and how something comes out of your mouth. you want to be professional yet warm and understanding, attentive and knowledgeable with your answers. I love meeting different sorts of people with their unique and interesting stories on there life I have some too. When the sale is completed they feel as the they made a friend doing business when it never felt like just business.
Productive and fun enviornement
Janitor (Former Employee), 1151 Bushwick AveApril 19, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: none
The salvation army was a great work experience I've gained through syep. I was a maintenance man responsible for the building.
The opportunity to raise funds for a good cause
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 19, 2015
Pros: The purpose
Cons: Seasonal
Standing at locations: Bell ringing

Encounter a lot of people.

Honesty and purpose raises more revenue.

You are individually accountable for raising funds.
worked with other bellringers who where doing the same job
bellringer (Former Employee), Indiana, PAApril 18, 2015
Pros: buy our own food
Cons: scheduled breaks when they decide
I would go back and work for them again,and work with other people
who did the same cold job as I did, they are greatful and helpful people. they where long hours and the other workers where happy
that we where out there helping the people in our community who had less and needed help with clothing and food.
Fun opportunity for musicians to make money.
Kettle Worker (Former Employee), Lancaster, CAApril 18, 2015
A typical day at work for Salvation Army started with me going to a business like Vons or Walmart and setting up the stand with the collection bucket outside. The days were between 6 and 8 hours long 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch, if you worked 7-8 hours. Due to going to different locations every few days or so, the co-workers I had were always different, but I never had any issues with them because they all acted professionally. The hardest part of the job and the most enjoyable part were the fact that I was playing music for 6-8 hours a day. It was tough to perform at a consistent high quality after so many hours, but since I would like a career in music someday it was great to get paid to do something I love. The management did a good job of checking on us to make sure everyone was doing what they needed to be doing, and making sure nothing happened to us or the collection buckets. They also were rarely late to pick up the collection buckets, but if they were late it was never due to their negligence, always something they could not control, such as holiday traffic.
Not so great.
Cashier (Former Employee), New Baltimore, MiApril 17, 2015
What salvation army stands for is a great thing. Working here is another thing. I only worked here right out of high school so perhaps it has improved since. The management do not treat their employees well at least not at my location. although i did love the customers! they truly made it worth while.
Supervisor
Bric-A-Brac Supervisor (Former Employee), Centerline, MIApril 17, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
• Oversee activities directly related to making products or providing services.
• Direct and coordinate activities of businesses or departments concerned with the production, pricing, sales, or distribution of products.
• Perform sales floor work, such as greeting or assisting customers, stocking shelves, or taking inventory.
• Plan store layouts or design displays
employee of the month
floor clerk (Current Employee), Columbus, OHApril 16, 2015
always does as told and gets job done, willing to learn new things and other positions. gets along good with co-workers and costumers. hard to lift heavy objects. meet new people every day and able to guide them to what they are looking for
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Marcos, TXApril 16, 2015
Pros: Helping people
A typical day at the Salvation Army was a little fast paced at times. I learned how to interact with different people and their different needs. The management was great. The hardest part was when I wasn't able to help someone. The most enjoyable part was helping people in need.
one of the best places in elmira to work for
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Elmira, NYApril 16, 2015
Pros: the job was well worth the time
Cons: it was cold
I enjoyed working for salvation army they do a lot for the community and i am glad be part of their team at Christmas time . they are a great equal opportunity program that helps needy families and children
The bell ringer (Former Employee), Lawrencellville, gaApril 16, 2015
Pros: You get paid a little more, get to meet new people every day
Cons: I would have to stand for long periods of time
When I went to work it was a positive environment and the bell ringers are polite we also encourage one another who needs it most. the salvation army feed their works before sending the do they're job.
My dream job!!
Public Relations Officer (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 15, 2015
Pros: Positive and supportive work environment.
My position of Public Relations Officer for The Salvation Arny in southern Nevada was absolutely my dream job. I finally was able to merge all of my skills gained from experience and from my college education into one perfect position. The organization does amazing work for those who need a hand up, not a hand out, and I was blessed with the opportunity to tell the community about the work they did.
A very caring envioroment where you are doing good and getting paid for it.
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Pontiac, MIApril 15, 2015
So being a Salvation Army truck driver can be an adventure. When you go on your routes to pick up furniture from wonderful donors, I will admit. It is a lot of hard work, but a good hard work because you know you are contributing good to society. The Salvation Army also has rehabilitation centers for people in need. What I have learned from working there is to see the big picture of why I do things. I have learned to approach life differently because everyday I see people who are having a hard time in life than me. Everyday I am humbled and grateful to serve others in need.
It was a fun seasonal job. Great supervisors
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee), Findlay, OHApril 14, 2015
Pros: Set my days and picked morning or evening shifts. Sundays off automatically
Cons: Sometimes it was really cold or wet outside
I really enjoyed the seasonal job. They treated us like people not robots. I felt valued. My coworkers were fun. I was picked up at home and taken home after each shift.
LOVE IT
Manager/Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Oak Park, ILApril 14, 2015
Pros: great
Cons: long hours
GREAT JOB LOVE IT gave me my first start helps people in so many ways great people all around love it. HELPS PEOPLE
Great place to learn new things.
Productive, Fun, New Environment
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Lexington, NCApril 14, 2015
A typical day at work was meeting new people, hearing real life stories on how or why they aren't able to provide for their families. All these people need is a helping hand someone to listen to them. You also have fantastic, loving caring co-workers who doesn't give up on anything or anyone.
Great company to work for. Full support from coworkers and administration
Shift Coordinator (Current Employee), Bronx, NYApril 14, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
A typical day at work is serving all residents with professionalism and decorum.Ive learned deep compassion and professional services for the homeless and mental health population with 100% support from administration/management. A great relationship developed between my cowokers and myself. The hardest part of this position is holding back emotion during client's moments of sadness or life crisis. The most enjable part of this position is serving our residents overall. I loved serving this population.
Great place to work for when cheering people up.
Bellringer (Former Employee), 2506 Cavitt BryanApril 13, 2015
Pros: great vibes at work
Cons: it was only seasonal
the Bell ringer was a helpful job because it gave me the opportunity
to help those less fortunate. we where able to bring cheerful thoughts and vibes to the community. The management was great they were always polite and eager to work.

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Salaries

Assistant Manager
$9.16 per hour

The Salvation Army Photos

Captain Kettle---Holiday Parade
This is why I worked there
feeding others