The Salvation Army Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,886 reviews matching the search
being able to help the unfortunate.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 16, 2016
Receiving donation through out the cities of Virginia was a great blessing to the unfortunate. co-workers was great because if we was running behind on our schedule do to a heavy route they were glad to help you out.
Pros
we were paid trhough out our lunch breaks.
Cons
No breaks and no pay raises
productive
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXMarch 28, 2016
the bosses were selfish and didn't like to help the customers that went in for help. the coworkers were very nice and were great team members.
Pros
learned new things
Cons
now growth in the company or benefits
Productive & fun to work at!
Assistant to the Director of Special Service (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 15, 2016
One of the best places I've ever worked at! They love their employees. Provide Excellent Benefits. The Salvation Army Excels in everything they do it has been a pleasure to work for the Salvation Army & would return if there is ever a opening again!
Meaningful workplace
KETTLE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Hancock, MIJanuary 7, 2016
Very meaningful days at work, helped raise funds for community assistance. Managed money exchange, nightly deposits, creating good community relationships for fundraising and furthering the involvement of businesses in the cause.
Pros
Feeling Accomplished at work
Cons
Seasonal Position
Hard Work For Little Pay
Clothing Processor (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 11, 2016
I worked here for half a year. I was really close with everyone, we all had fun working together and we were all like family. That's not how it is the higher up you go. The company didn't want to give us benefits anymore so the slashed our hours to part time. Our pay was on $8.25/hr. Working for them, I felt like a slave to their system.
Pros
Laid back work environment
Cons
No benefits
fun job
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 26, 2016
it was a great seasonal job. i loved helping the organization help raise money for their charity work. i would diffidently do it again.
They do good for the community. They have a great benefit package
Payroll HR (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 10, 2016
Arive, opend all programs. Answered e-mails. checked employees hours on line. worked on spread sheets and filing. Answered questions. Made daily deposits.
Pros
Great benefits, most of the time flexable when needing to take time off
Great experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Litchfield, ILMarch 20, 2016
Salvation army was a rewarding job with a big staff that is trained at rotating when needed. The hours are good for parents.
Pros
work environment
Cons
no benefits, salary
Amazing place to be
Men's Residence Front Desk Lead (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 28, 2016
Simply put, The Salvation Army is a great place to be. The people there care about each other, and work together as a team.
Pros
Benefits, schedule, and leadership
Good Place Overall
Employee (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJanuary 26, 2016
Good place to work. Management does care about the well being of employees. Job benefits are outstanding. Employee compensation over all needs improvement.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Very busy
Family Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheboro, NCJanuary 22, 2016
A typical days was bringing in donations getting them sorted and onto the sells floor and good customer service. The officers were unrealistic. The hardest part of the job was not having enough help to make your goals.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
The mission for helping others changed.
a nice place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plainwell, MIJanuary 22, 2016
sort and price stock co-workers were great the management all needed to be on the same page that is what made the job difficult at times.
benefits
Cons
management
No consistency
Fitness/Exercise Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 3, 2015
The Salvation Army is a wonderful non-profit organization as a whole, but the issue lies within the individual corps. Officers are transferred every 2-4 years so there is no consistency within the corps. Every officer comes in with new visions for the corps. Besides the lack of consistency the pay caps are low leaving very little opportunity to advance within your position.

I learned a great deal about ways that The Salvation Army helps those in need, and the organization really is amazing. The Salvation Army helps whenever and where ever they can.

The hardest part of the job is the inconsistency and lack of advancement.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping those in need and teaching the children different life skills at the community center.
Pros
Wonderful Benefits
Employee oriented organzation.
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
The Salvation Army allows you the privilege to balance your family life with your work. A family and employee oriented company that allows you the opportunity to advance in your career.
Pros
Free lunch hour
Cons
Great healthcare benefits.
what i like my job to have
dishwasher., server (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 3, 2015
a fun and positive place that i can come in and feel comfortable. i want coworkers and managers that are strike and they are whiling to push me out of my comfort zone at work.I want to be working different positions to get a new feel on things.See what is easy for me to get done and what is something that would test my abilities.
Pros
healthcare, medical, free lunch
Cons
short breaks and no medical insurance or benefits
Bell Ringer
Bell Ringer (Former Employee) –  East Chicago, INDecember 11, 2015
Motivated,dedicated, focused, and a team player. Ringing the bell to raise monies for different programs for the Salvation Army and to help people in need of financial assistant.
Pros
Motivation
its ok
Im an employee (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 28, 2015
It just depends on who your boss is. It changes so often because they move officers around. You could have a great leader and then they move him and your next leader may not be so great. The tough part is watching the new person learn the job and try to build relationships. It puts a strain on everyone and by the time you get to know and like your boss, he gets moved and you have to start all over again. Their are good changes with the move as well as unfortunate, unnecessary changes. It really just all depends on who you get. Good luck! I've had both good and bad and the stress is not worth it. I will say they have decent benefits and I think people mean well. Just seems no one is really happy or enjoying what they are doing, even the officers. It is a good purpose and cause, but hard to find truly happy employees. Or happy leaders. Lots of stress and rules no one wants to follow.
Pros
pretty good health benefits. People are nice enough
Cons
No one seems happy. Your boss will not be your boss for long.
Productive and Fast paced
Volunteer Special Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, MNNovember 14, 2015
Every day is very diverse in what kind of people we might be dealing with. Management is good at delegating all tasks. Co workers are awesome and it is fun to go to work daily to see what can be accomplished.
Pros
Healthcare Benefits
Cons
Can be very stressful
Directing homeless individuals with basic life skills and needs
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Pekin IllSeptember 3, 2015
Case management with clients,dispersing clients meds, entering stats for the State and Federal government and supervising my staff and their hours scheduled. Having to turn individuals away due to no vacancies is a hard part of the job. Witnessing a client improving their life is the most rewarding.
Pros
Great health insurance and benefits
Cons
Having to cover hours for a 24/7 facility, low pay no annual raises
Excellent work enviorment,Wonderful co-workers
Front Desk Intake Secretary (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIAugust 21, 2015
I answered phones,did paper work for clients applying for benefits and needing assistance,served at the soup kitchen,worked in food pantry.I learned extreme patience and compassion in a whole new way.My bosses were wonderful and grateful how quick I caught on,all of my co-workers were wonderful it was like a big happy family with the same goal in mind "TO LOVE NOT TO JUDGE", The hardest part about the job was that it ended for me ,it was only a temporary position.Being able to help someone and put a smile on their face or give them hope that everything will get better was the best part of my job.
Pros
Getting to dine with people less fortunate than I.
Cons
Having my position be temporary.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.