The Salvation Army
2,351 reviews

The Salvation Army Employer Reviews

The Salvation Army is a unique job.
Bell Ringer (Former Employee), Orangeburg, SCJanuary 12, 2015
The typical work day consist of calling management about a hour before your shift to know where you will b assigned that day. Showing up for work on time often a little before the manager arrives, when they do arrive you receive your equipment that you will require for the shift such as the donation bucket, the bell, and an apron with the Salvation Army logo. The shift would be spent out side standing and ringing a bell for several hours, often in freezing weather. The simplicity of the job offers little stimulation however you do get the opportunity to conversation with many people who often, oddly, become quite open about there personal lives and history.
Great place to work, being able to serve others
Director (Former Employee), Shreveport, LouisianaJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: free lunch, team work
Cons: no breaks just lunch
Facilitated the enrollment of K-12 Students in local schools
Facilitated transition from homeless shelters to family owned residences
Facilitated parenting workkshops
Worked with adults to seek employment in local enterprises
Rewarding
Resident Manager (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: the great support from coworkers with professional and personal needs.
Cons: could not help everyone in need with every issue.
Interacting with many different people daily through telephones/ personal communication is quite rewarding when your able to assist them to meet their needs. I enjoy being a support to who ever comes to me.
Working in an environment of helping people you can become overwhelmed at times and need to regroup. Sometime just talking to another coworker or simply taking a ten minute break outside your work station to meditate.
Dealing with some of the reactions you get from clients who don't get what they want right away seems to be one of the hardest part of the job. Sometime people will say some offensive things to you and, may even offer to attack you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing regular faces and given an receiving weekly greetings.
Fun workplace
Weekly pay.

Exciting work atmosphere.
Great Place
Production Assistant (Current Employee), Greece, NYJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: great schedule, great team, fun place to work, nice discount on clothing, learned about ebb and flow of production, people are great, like interaction with customers, they really have nice clothing to buy, nice to see the charity of others
Cons: wish for more pay and it is a little micromanaged, would like more autonomy, good to have direction, but i would like management to be flexible, not crazy about a quota for production when certain things not controllable
The schedule I work is awesome and the team I work with is great. I don't really know if there is opportunity for advancement so I rated a 3. The management is good and the culture of the place seems to be that people want to help each other. Fun place to work.

A typical day is pretty consistent. Punch in, dump, sort and hang clothing for the floor. Learned a lot about the ebb and flow of production and the charity of others. Also how to coexist with different types of people. Co-workers are awesome! Hardest part of job is being a little micromanaged and sometimes it is a little monotonous. Most enjoyable part of job is the team and the schedule.
The Salvation Army is a Church. To many task to be done, very short on help.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Bryan, TXJanuary 9, 2015
stock pantry, bag food, give out food, cleaning, unload trucks, answer phones, do Thank You letter, help with collecting clients information filing, faxing
productive and an awesome out going workplace.
Bilingual Phone Bank (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: fun out going place to work at
Cons: would have to be that it was seasonal.
I really loved that I was given the opportunity to work and learned the basic office work. Loved working with all my coworkers and with all customers. The hardest part for me was when we couldn't satisfy all customers and the most enjoyable part of the job is when we helped most of the families.
nice job, but temporary
bell ringer (Former Employee), Carson City, NVJanuary 9, 2015
seasonal Bell ringer . very short time, was good to get out and meet people at a happy time of year
It was a job when needed
Dispatcher and truck driver (Former Employee), Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: poor supervisors
kjjdfugeduyifiu isfdhwh wijfowufu iwhdfu liwjdf whdfow iwd jlwnw wjdfn ljwndfi iwwfnm iuoewf iwnf kienf wpifj iefc eiknfi wnf wifn wujnbwf jfcb wiunw wiwun weinfc nwif wikfn jwfcnjo nof ebnuf jw
A high level of learning about mental health
Maintainence worker. (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: excellent benefits.
Cons: not a good line of communication between the staff members.
It was a very interesting job learning about the various forms of mental health diagnosis. It was also demanding as far as having to monitor patients and there different behaviors. It didn't leave that much time for you to have a personal life, it was quite a bit of mandating. I enjoyed it somewhat because it was a very helpful in helping me learn about different things in general.
Productive work with team mates
Intake worker (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: seeing the faces of clients when they received the help they needed
Cons: seeing the disappointment one the faces of the clients you cannot help
I answered phone calls set appointments and did appointments helped with pantries, utilities and any other services client needed. Attended any classes pertaining to my job to better help clients. The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting. I enjoyed working with co-workers and clients. The greatest feeling is when you have helped a client with their needs.
Kettle coordinator
Red Kettle Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee), Bradford, PAJanuary 7, 2015
worked with store management for kettle placement
worked with volunteers to man kettles
counted kettle money and made deposits
Christian Centered Facility, fun place to work and we make the members feel welcomed.
Welcome Desk Crew Member (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day at work consist of reading our notifications in our kiosk which it let us know what is going on during the entire day. It tells you what events we have schedule for the day or if there is any particular person coming into the facility. Afterwards, we sell day-passes for any non member, we sell memberships, and we give tours. Also, during downtime we type in all of our day passes into the system and make sure everything on the membership application is filled out completely. Also, we have to make outbound and answer inbound calls.
If you have no other choice
Cashier (Former Employee), Binghamton, NYJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: it was a job when there was nothing else
Cons: managment, unfair treatment of employees, company paid no part of the benifits
Work wasnt hard or overly demanding. The real problems with this workplace was in the way managment handled things. Hard work wasn't rewarded but "sucking up" to the bosses was. I found the overall experience to say the least lacking.

Theft by those who were "freinds" with the bosses was overlooked but for others even setting something aside for yourself to buy was considered unacceptable.
fun and interesting place to work.
Sales Floor Rep (Former Employee), White Lake, MIJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: discount in store
Working at a thrift store was interesting. You never knew what would be set out on the sales floor until we did. It was really fun working in that kind of environment. The managers also got along well with the rest of the employees really well.
Productive and fun with co-workers
Kinship Navigator Case Manager (Current Employee), Newark, NJJanuary 7, 2015
A typical day is visiting the clients to obtain the required documents in order for them to get the annually grant. Then we need to put all the information on the system.
Co-workers are helpful and funny. They are nice people.
Interesting Place to work
Production Associate (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: it doesn't pay. it's volunteer work.
The mornings starts off okay. I receive my job assignments or a task that has time-management. Some assignments are two at a time. Usually each time-management task must be done before 11 a.m. or 2 p.m. I have learned how to use my time wisely in an effective manner. Quality, accuracy, then i can practice a fast pace. My supervisor is okay as long as i do my job to the best of my ability. The co-workers are okay.The hardest part of my job is when i don't complete the job. The best part of my job is all assignment or tasks are completed in a timely fashion.
A good 3-4 hours of work every day.
Volunteering in Donations (Former Employee), Galveston, TXJanuary 6, 2015
Typical work day of 3-4 hours of work collecting donations.
I've never met a more compassionate organization, it was wonderful to see people given a chance and get on with their lives.
Cook (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: helping other people.
Cons: the rain in wa.
I loved the challenge of feeding the homeless population at our shelter. I fed 35 to 40 people a night and shopped for all the food.
I started my day at 2 and finished around 7.
The hardest part of the job would have to have been seeing the children that went through the shelter.
Management was awesome !
Family environment workplace
Athletic Director (Former Employee), Sapulpa, OKJanuary 5, 2015
Easy going
Great people to work with
Flexible schedule
Family environment

About The Salvation Army

The Salvation Army is a Christian church known for its thrift stores and charity work. It is an international movement that works – Read more

The Salvation Army Photos